D&D to Marvel chart?

Posted by rileyV 
D&D to Marvel chart?
February 24, 2014 10:19AM
Didn't someone post a chart or a link to a chart at one point? I found an AD&D strength conversion chart to a system not MSH, I've found individual profiles converted, but not a specific one for changing any stat and I thought there was one before just...somewhere. And I can't find it.
Re: D&D to Marvel chart?
February 24, 2014 12:45PM
I have this as part of the strength chart that I'm guessing is the same one you saw.

The author notes he generally doesn't use characters over 20th level so it might break down after that.

Fighting = (21-THAC0) *5
Agility = Dex*4
Strength = see chart below
Endurance = Constitution *4
Reason = Intelligence *4
Psyche = average (Int. + Wis. + Cha) *4

Remember for Fighting that is STRAIGHT THAC0; no strength bonuses or profficiency bonuses or anything. Just level per class rating.

Here's a bigger one. I can send the html file so you can see it all better with some better looking charts, and there's more on the bottom I didn't paste in.

Converting d20 to Marvel Super Heroes (MSH)
Written by Curt Meyer

Ability Conversion

FASERIP Conversion:

D20 Ability MSH Ability
Base Attack Bonus (BAcool smiley Fighting
Dexterity Agility
Strength Strength
Constitution Endurance
Intelligence Reason
Wisdom Intuition
(Wis. + Int. + Cha.) / 3 [consult the table with this average] Psyche

The following table may be used to translate ability scores between the two systems, with the exception of Fighting, which is converted from BAB:

D20 Ability Score MSH Ability Rank
3-5 Feeble (2)
6-9 Poor (4)
10-11 (+0) Typical (6)
12-15 (+1 to +2) Good (10)
16-19 (+3 to +4) Excellent (20)
20-23 (+5 to +6) Remarkable (30)
24-29 (+7 to +9) Incredible (40)
30-39 (+10 to +15) Amazing (50)
40-49 (+16 to +20) Monstrous (75)
50-59 (+21 to +25) Unearthly (100)
60+ (+26 and up) Shift X (150)

BAB to Fighting Conversion Table

D20 BAB MSH Fighting Rank

+0 (with a serious handicap, like horrible Str or Dex) Feeble (2)
+0 (with a slight handicap, like below-average Str or Dex) Poor (4)
+0 to +1 Typical (6)
+2 to +5 Good (10)
+6 to +10 Excellent (20)
+11 to +14 Remarkable (30)
+15 to +18 Incredible (40)
+19 to +22 Amazing (50)
+23 to +30 Monstrous (75)
+30 to +35 Unearthly (100)
+36 and up Shift X (150)

If converting from 2nd Edition AD&D, subtract THAC0 from 20 to obtain BAB.

Figuring Resources

Refer to the table below, taken from pg. 7 of the Judge’s Book, and assign a Resources rank analogous to the character’s current financial situation.

FB Reduced circumstances, unemployed, on Social Security or allowance
PR Freelance, poor credit risk, lower middle class, students
TY Salaried employment, middle class
GD Professional employment, middle class
EX Small inheritance, small business, upper middle class, Avenger's stipend
RM Large business or chain of businesses, established trust fund, upper class
IN Standard corporation, millionaire
AM Multi-national corporation, government branch or military of major country, billionaire playboy
UN Major country, mega-corporation
CL 1000+ Extra-dimensional realm, galactic empire or entity

Figuring Popularity

All characters converted from d20 have a minimum Popularity rank equal to their total Charisma bonuses. For those converting from 2nd Edition AD&D, attribute bonuses are given in parenthesis in the ability conversion table above. Consult the table below, taken from pg. 41 of the Player’s Book, to determine additional Popularity.

Popularity Awards and Penalties

Action Award/Penalty Rescues +2
Defeat normal villains +0 Charity work +1
Defeat costumed villain +2 Pop
Defeated in public -5 Pop
Accused of crime -1/2 total
Cleared of charges +10
Found guilty of charge -remaining
Media attack -5

Converting d20 Feats and Skills

Because MSH is a rules-lite system, MSH Talents reflect mastery in particular areas rather than specific skills. Generally, a Talent gives a character + 1CS to corresponding Abilities for Feat rolls when the Talent applies. Some talents, like Martial Arts give specific combat bonuses. Extreme levels of proficiency are reflected in high Ability scores. For conversion purposes, for every 4 d20 Feats a character has, add +1 CS to the corresponding ability. The specific Feat effects translate into specific Ability / Power / Talent Stunts.

Converting d20 Difficulty Class (DC) to MSH Intensity Feats

Some d20 Skills, Feats or encounters use a DC to determine success or failure. MSH uses Intensity Feats analogously. Although the above guidelines for Feat and Skill conversion don’t necessarily call for DC conversion, it may be useful when interpreting various elements from d20 modules.

D20 Difficulty Class MSH Intensity Feat Example
Very easy (0) Shift 0 Notice something large in plain sight
Easy (5) Poor Climb a knotted rope
Average (10) Typical Hear an approaching guard
Tough (15) Good Rig a wagon wheel to fall off
Challenging (20) Excellent Swim in stormy water
Formidable (25) Remarkable Open an average lock
Heroic (30) Incredible Leap across a 30-foot chasm
Nearly impossible (40) Amazing Track a squad of orcs across hard ground
After 24 hours of rainfall

Interpreting Armor Class (AC)

According to the d20 3.5 SRD, Armor Class is:

10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier

(if converting from 2nd Edition AD&D, use the formula (20-AC) to get d20 AC)

For conversion purposes, characters receive resistance to physical attacks reflected by their combined Armor and Shield Bonuses (material strength) *2, approximated to the nearest MSH rank. Use the following table, modified from pg. 18 of the Player’s Book, as a guide:

Material Strength Rank Materials
Feeble Cloth, glass, brush, paper,
Poor Normal plastics, crystal, wood, leather
Typical Rubber, soft metals (gold, brass, copper), ice, adobe, computer chips, studded leather
Good Brick, aluminum, light machinery pieces, asphalt, high strength plastics, scale or chain mail
Excellent Concrete, Beta cloth, iron, bullet-proof glass, full plate mail
Remarkable Reinforced concrete, steel
Incredible Solid stone, Vibranium, volcanic rock
Amazing Osmium steel, granite, gemstones
Monstrous Diamond, super-heavy alloys
Unearthly Adamantium steel, certain mystical and enchanted elements
Class 1000-5000 Materials of these material strength ranks are virtually indestructible

Conscientious Judges using d20 creatures or d20 mecha may want to convert size modifiers as well. Size modifiers would then affect an attacker’s ability to hit the object in question. Use the table below as a guide:

D20 Size d20 Size Modifier MSH Effect d20 Size d20 Size Modifier MSH Effect
Colossal —8 +4CS Small +1 -1CS
Gargantuan —4 +3CS Tiny +2 -2CS
Huge —2 +2CS Diminutive +4 -3CS
Large —1 +1CS Fine +8 -4CS
Medium +0 +0CS
Converting Combat Bonuses

For both d20 and 2nd Edition AD&D, for each point of combat bonus to a specific attack, the character or monster receives +1CS to a given roll. Damage works on a 1:1 ratio.

Converting Save Modifiers

In MSH use an Agility Feat for a Reflex Save, Endurance for Fortitude and Psyche for Will. For each point of save modifier, characters get +1 CS for the given save.

Converting The d20 / 2nd Edition AD&D Magic System

Learning Spells

Characters must posses a Talent in a given school of magic to use that school’s power, unless characters have endowed “Spell Like Abilities,” in which cases, spells do not need to be learned.

Magical School Talents and corresponding minimum Abilities required to learn them are listed below:

School Min. Ability Score Opposition
Abjuration EX Reason Alteration & Illusion
Conjuration/Summoning EX Endurance Divination & Invocation
Divination EX Reason Conjuration/Summoning
Enchant/Charm EX Psyche Invocation/Evocation
& Necromancy
Illusion EX Agility Necromancy/Invocation/
Evocation/Abjuration
Invocation/Evocation EX Endurance Enchant/Charm/Conjuration/
Summoning
Necromancy EX Reason Illusion &Enchantment/Charm
Alteration EX Agility Abjuration & Necromancy

The default Magical Talent Ability is Psyche, and all spells converted from d20 require Intensity Feats relative to the casters’ Psyche ability. Some spells that involve blasting or ranged attacks may also require an additional Agility Feat, at the Judge’s digression.

To learn new spells, a character spends 100 * the Intensity level of the spell (see below) in Karma points. The character must also make a Reason Feat roll relative to the spell’s Intensity

Converting Spell Levels and Effects.

Reference the table below to determine the level of Intensity Feat required to cast a spell:

D20 Spell Level Casting Intensity Feat
1 to 2 Typical
3 to 4 Good
5 to 6 Excellent
7 to 9 Remarkable
10 to 11 Incredible
12 to 15 Amazing
13 to 21 Monstrous
22 to 25 Unearthly
26+ Shift X

A spell is understood to have the area of effect, duration, etc of its intensity. Casters may increase the Intensity of the Feat required to cast the spell to increase its effects. Casters may reduce spell effects but still must make required Feat roll at full Intensity. Casters may cast one spell per round. They may cast an additional spell with a successful Agility feat. Targets may defend against spells with successful Psyche feats. Characters with Psyches equal or greater than a spell’s Intensity level need a Green result for the spell to work. Characters with Psyches one Column less than the spell’s Intensity, need a Yellow result. Characters with Psyches two Columns less than the spell’s Intensity need a Red result. Characters with Psyches three or more Columns less than the spell’s Intensity don’t have the force of will necessary for the spell to work.

So a character would need at least a Good Psyche to cast a Remarkable Intensity spell.

That character can reduce the Intensity of the spell’s effects to Excellent for example but must still make the appropriate full Intensity result because the complexity of the spell has not changed.

Interpreting Character Levels

For the purposes of quick and easy conversion, for every 4 levels of a particular class a d20 character has, add +1 CS to that class’s primary ability, for warriors Strength, for Wizards Psyche, Rouges… Agility, etc.

Converting Range, Movement Etc.

MSH expresses range and movement capacity in terms of Areas. One Area equals 44 yards. D20 uses feet. According to pg. 18 of the Player’s Book:

- A hero with a current Endurance of

Feeble may move only one area per

turn, a maximum of 44 yards.

- A hero with an Endurance of Poor to

Excellent may move a maximum of

two areas per turn, or 88 yards.

- A hero with an Endurance of Remarkable

or better may move a maximum of

three areas per turn or 132 yards.

An MSH Turn is equal to 6 seconds of real time. A d20 round also equals 6 seconds of real time. For a precise conversion of d20 base movement, use the following formula, [(base movement *4) / 3] / 44 = MSH areas per round. The result accounts for potential running speed. Remember, the MSH range represents maximum capacity. Of course, if you’ve already figured MSH Endurance, then this is redundant, but may it may help when converting monsters.

If converting from 2nd Edition AD&D, a round is equal to one minute, and characters are able to walk 10 times their movement rates (Move) in yards per round and run twice that. To convert 2nd Edition AD&D Move to MSH, multiply the movement rate by 2.5, round to the nearest multiple of 10 and use the conversion formula for d20.

Use the chart taken from the back cover of the Ultimate Powers Book, as a guide for converting speed based special abilities and vehicles:

February 24, 2014 12:46PM
It won't let me attach the html file it says not a valid type.

February 24, 2014 02:33PM
If you look under the resource tab up to there is a link called D20 conversion. That is the chart you need. I have found the str a little low D20 tends to rate that stat low. I figure in a +1cs for each size increase. If not you get some one like Cthulhu worth a str of only RM.
February 24, 2014 10:55PM
Thanks guys.
February 25, 2014 02:10AM
Mr. States: Superb posting of the conversion tables!
February 25, 2014 05:11AM
Here's a download link for the file. It's just an html file. Double click and it will open in a browser window.

[app.box.com]

February 25, 2014 06:29AM
Awesome.
February 25, 2014 08:10AM
So then in terms of mutants and masterminds (or the old silver age sentinels D20 ) would the conversion be similar? I know rhe silver age sentinels game had conversions for standard D20 monsters and such to the sentinels game system.

Especially with armour classes and magically enhanced items and weapons.

How similar would those conversions be? I know 3rd ed mutants and masterminds is a lot different than the first edition but the person that worked on the SAS game is part of the creative team on M&M's now.

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
February 25, 2014 08:45AM
rileyv have you seen the D&D conversion books I did on the gaming nerds are us site.
February 25, 2014 08:49AM
Is that Major Tom's site? I go there regularily (not as regulairly as here mind you) but havent seen your book. I must take a nother look then...

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
February 25, 2014 08:53AM
I didn't know there were any there. I'll look.
February 25, 2014 03:55PM
Here is the link. They need some work. I hope to redo them this spring and summer. [gamingnerdsrus.co]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 32
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.