Inquiry: Chat room game

Posted by MajorSteel 
Inquiry: Chat room game
March 25, 2012 08:44AM
I been thinking of running a game in the chat room. It there, it has a dice roller, why not use it?

Player base:
4-7
Obviously members of the forum are invited, as well as friends and family. There many who haven't joined who might take an interest.
if we get a huge amount of interest, is there anyone else willing to run a game as well?

Power level:
Street level to start

Characters:
Open to starting concept. Why i seek new characters is to have an equal balance to all players

1) start fresh, new characters
1a] teens, just discovering their powers and abilities
or
1b] adults, which been established.

2 Character building is up to your own style/preference. I'm looking for the end balance results.
I would like to avoid players playing canon characters. I found it leads to arguements and such if not portrayed right in players eyes.

Time slots:
Time is important, so will try to accomodate.
Every friday Night
Every Saturday aternoon
Every Sunday Afternoon

Rules :
Standard rules set. It been awhile since i ran a MSH game, plus get a idea of the players style as they get an idea of my style, open to suggestions in rules interpetation to balance game over all. I see allot of different views and style that been debated about, so my goal would to be to have the flow of game move forward, not who right or wrong, good or what sucks..

Start time
I am looking at a May start time, this give players plenty of time to see if they can commit to playing. Deal with scheduling, other commitment conflict,

Your thoughts are welcome as long they remain civil/polite.
Re: Inquiry: Chat room game
March 25, 2012 02:37PM
You need to give some idea of what you mean by Street Level, such as number of powers as well as ranks (give or take as some powers even if you had a lot of them wouldn't be significantly troublesome whereas others can be extremely flexible and powerful even at lower ranks). Max Resources, etc. We need to know what you think it is before being able to provide better feedback.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
March 25, 2012 06:57PM
Street level ie daredevil, iron fist power man, us agent, serpent society, kingpin and his thugs etc etc.
Saving the world and cosmic adventures in space may come later.

As to powers, depends on feedback on the character section i wrote,

if we do new and exploring the new powers and abilities, then we role play things out, as we grow in abilities, new powers come into play trial and error theme. Fleshing out the character personality traits as they discover what they can do. Do they reveal to their friends? or keep it secret, hero or villian? vigilante?

If the players go this route are they friends or not?

i do an example:

5 players they decided to know each other and be friends.

"you all attend the same high school where you face the daily challenge of school, popularity, bullies and the over inquisitive parent/s.

Player 3, your math teacher seem to have it in for you and grades your paper and gives you a d-, you notice how some of the answers been changed, and while close to your own handwriting, you know for a fact you didn't write these answers. You already told your parents who, think you might be on drugs and when you tell them no, they are skeptiable

Player 2, Your Bf dumped you because he seem to be inhis own world and must pursue his acting dreams and can't be tied down, however you been told as well as seen that he been talking to Brenda, one of the more popular Drama students. To top it off Brenda seems to smirk at you when ver you're around

Player 5, the bullies are trying to get you and as usual, when they get a target, they strip them to there undies and throw them out in the hall. you avoided them so far, but they are antsy to get a hold of you.

player 4, you well liked, infact many say you're the next yogi berra, joe nameth, Micheal jordon, you're one of thebest in the school, but Paul Roberts thinks he better then you and usually tries to degrade you.

player 1 You're a no shyt taking kind of person, infact, you're a bit protective of your friends. The bullies avoid you like the plague, but your grades are not the best and your mother always working. you find comaradie in your friends,

You are all on the local field where many of the kids play baseball or some other activity. This is the last day your going to be here as some company decide to build and your hang out/turf is gone. You can see they putting up a fence around the vacant field. security along with some of ny york finest are pushing other kids out of the vacant lot. Some of the local bullies are laughing, cracking jokes, some gang members are scouting new fresh meat. One of the local drug dealer brazenly deals and grins his gld cap teeth smile.
you are pushed out, argueing with the rent a cop who acts all that, and then you all realize that you left somethings at the table. you try to tell the rent a cop, but he not having it, tell you come back tomorrow and get it. Player 1, you tell everyone to meet here at 8pm after sundown, you're going to get your stuff!

end example
----
from there, it starts who shows or not.
Players can develope their own social delima if they desire, but they have to have a few. Weakness can be developed or rolled, started out or later discovered.

As we start, others might join late. Ways to bring tem in. As to how many powers in this type of start , it don't matter all depends on the player style of creation. if they have 3 or 14 is there deal.

As kids I suggest

16-18 yr old

Table for starting stats
1-20 Feeble
21-50 poor
51-80 typical
81-100 good
March 26, 2012 06:07AM
When talking about timeslots, you probably need to say something about timezones. If, for example, you had one player from the UK and another one from California, you're talking about an eight hour time difference. By the time Friday night arrives in California, it's already Saturday in Britain.

In any case, I like the idea of a chat room game, but life's way too busy right now to commit to a regular game.
Tig
March 26, 2012 03:26PM
I am available any time u guys are ready and I will run a game also once I get a feel of how everything goes . Just tell me where I register my characters at ! and how do I get da ball rolling . Never played , Im a newbie but I know how to generate characters , da rules etc... I just need some people to play with . Help me out !!
March 26, 2012 09:48PM
one of the reason why i was looking at a may start time was to consider over seas players, considering a UK player, would mean an early start for a west coast us player.
AS i play OWoD larp on mirc, with players from the middle east, uk, austrialia, it been a challenge. Sunday might not be viable as that would be monday for over seas players. And while i would welcome them, if there enough over seas players, they can form a group more suited to their timeframe.

@Tig, as interest grow all that will be handled. It a matter of getting player together. What their interest and play style in how they wish to proceed. Some one else may want to be Judge and run a cosmic game, Nothing set in stone. smiling smiley
March 27, 2012 01:39AM
Thanks for invite. I'd really like to be part of this but I can't commit
Best I could do would be a PBEM type thing.
Anyone doing something like this let me know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 15
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.