Asgardian Magic Item Hero?

Posted by Roughouse 
Asgardian Magic Item Hero?
July 02, 2018 05:28PM
Hey guys long time no post!

I have a question and was wondering if any of you all would be willing to help. I'd like to create a street-level character(possibly an NPC) who is a normal human that found a magic item from Asgard. I want to base the item on the Gauntlets of Ogre Power from D&D.

The guy is completely normal unless he's wearing the gauntlets. Once he puts them on, they can't be removed by force. He was a resident of Broxton Oklahoma who somehow came into possession of these items. I'm thinking they give him the abilities of an Asgardian Ogre or Giant. So he becomes stronger and more resilient while wearing them. I guess this guy is basically a watered down street-level version of the Juggernaut in some ways.

How would you write up and stat such a character?

This might end up as part of a bigger campaign, where all the players are normal folks from Broxton who have been effected on some level by the nearness of Asgard.
Re: Asgardian Magic Item Hero?
July 03, 2018 10:15AM
This is fairly easy. Just decide how strong you want the gauntlets to make him. Gauntlets of Ogre Power don't actually bestow any durability. However, more durability will come from a somewhat increased Health score due to increased Strength rank.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 03, 2018 02:46PM
Well he could have ended up with Thor's Gauntlets and Belt of Power (from some past cycle of Ragnarok) providing him with whatever level of super-human strength and durability you feel appropriate. The Elementals universe a guy who got just the Belt had Unearthly Strength for example.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 09, 2018 08:24AM
Roughouse
Hey guys long time no post!

I have a question and was wondering if any of you all would be willing to help. I'd like to create a street-level character(possibly an NPC) who is a normal human that found a magic item from Asgard. I want to base the item on the Gauntlets of Ogre Power from D&D.

The guy is completely normal unless he's wearing the gauntlets. Once he puts them on, they can't be removed by force. He was a resident of Broxton Oklahoma who somehow came into possession of these items. I'm thinking they give him the abilities of an Asgardian Ogre or Giant. So he becomes stronger and more resilient while wearing them. I guess this guy is basically a watered down street-level version of the Juggernaut in some ways.

How would you write up and stat such a character?

This might end up as part of a bigger campaign, where all the players are normal folks from Broxton who have been effected on some level by the nearness of Asgard.

I suppose the first thing you have to establish is how can a human character find a powerful magical item in Asgard?  

Who are his or her contacts?   What obligations if any must he or she fulfill to keep the gloves?

Which Asgardian race wants these gloves?  ( Trolls, dark elves, front giants. etc... )

I would have the gloves magically transform the character into an Asgardian, rather than keep him human with Asgardian gloves on, but that's just me. From my D&D days a 19 strength score was not that special, above standard limits, but hardly a 25 top score, which I guess would be Thor's.

I guess a 19 in D&D would be either Remarkable or Incredible level strength. I'd learn toward Remarkable.

My tips:

Health should be above 100 with the power-up or transformation.

Material of the gloves at least on the monstrous level.

Magic abilities for the gloves?  I think so, but nothing above the amazing level magic, with transportation to Asgard being one of the powers. I would add +1CS over the character's strength level for damage. This means if the gloves grant Incredible strength, they do amazing damage.

Gloves alone might not be enough if your campaign is Asgard. You might want armor, or a special mount for travel for this character.

Talents: A fighting skill or two to complement the gloves. A martial art for sure A, or B, with perhaps breaking objects being one of them.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
July 10, 2018 01:12AM
Taarna
I suppose the first thing you have to establish is how can a human character find a powerful magical item in Asgard?  

Who are his or her contacts?   What obligations if any must he or she fulfill to keep the gloves?

Which Asgardian race wants these gloves?  ( Trolls, dark elves, front giants. etc... )

I would have the gloves magically transform the character into an Asgardian, rather than keep him human with Asgardian gloves on, but that's just me. From my D&D days a 19 strength score was not that special, above standard limits, but hardly a 25 top score, which I guess would be Thor's.

I guess a 19 in D&D would be either Remarkable or Incredible level strength. I'd learn toward Remarkable.

My tips:

Magic abilities for the gloves?  I think so, but nothing above the amazing level magic, with transportation to Asgard being one of the powers. I would add +1CS over the character's strength level for damage. This means if the gloves grant Incredible strength, they do amazing damage.

Gloves alone might not be enough if your campaign is Asgard. You might want armor, or a special mount for travel for this character.

Talents: A fighting skill or two to complement the gloves. A martial art for sure A, or B, with perhaps breaking objects being one of them.
Original post indicates this is a street level campaign, not a romp through Asgard. Street level, but the character is powered by Asgardian magic, so keeping things lower rank would be fine. The first thing that comes to mind for me is the Wrecker. He never displayed an ability to travel to Asgard. Remarkable Strength seems fine for this purpose, though a high material strength for the gloves would be appropriate for an Asgardian enchanted magic item.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 10, 2018 04:28AM
Thrudjelmer
Taarna

My tips:

Original post indicates this is a street level campaign, not a romp through Asgard. Street level, but the character is powered by Asgardian magic, so keeping things lower rank would be fine. The first thing that comes to mind for me is the Wrecker. He never displayed an ability to travel to Asgard. Remarkable Strength seems fine for this purpose, though a high material strength for the gloves would be appropriate for an Asgardian enchanted magic item.

There is nothing about Asgard that fits into a street level campaign. Or is there?

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
July 11, 2018 02:09AM
Taarna
There is nothing about Asgard that fits into a street level campaign. Or is there?
If Asgard exists within the game world, a minor magic item could somehow found its way to Midgard and into the hands of a mere human. Nothing about Asgard fits into a street level campaign? Thor fighting muggers seems like a stretch, for sure. However, anything is possible if you put a little creative thought into it. Not everything in Asgard is Thor-level, and even the Warriors Three are exceptional examples of Asgardians.

July 11, 2018 03:43AM
Thrudjelmer
Taarna
If Asgard exists within the game world, a minor magic item could somehow found its way to Midgard and into the hands of a mere human. Nothing about Asgard fits into a street level campaign? Thor fighting muggers seems like a stretch, for sure. However, anything is possible if you put a little creative thought into it. Not everything in Asgard is Thor-level, and even the Warriors Three are exceptional examples of Asgardians.

Well, the average Asgardian has Remarkable level Strength, Excellent built-in body armor, and a very slow aging process. 

This to me is above a street-level campaign in Earth as the average Asgardian can't be hurt or stopped by conventional street level weapons or common criminals.

However you 're right, you can weave them into to an Earth street-level campaign.  Just make sure there are lots of bad guys, and maybe a high tech villain or two to test them.

July 11, 2018 05:34AM
You're still missing the point of the original post. It's not about integrating an Asgardian character into a street level campaign, it's about a normal human possessing a magic item of Asgardian origin.

July 11, 2018 07:29AM
Thrudjelmer
You're still missing the point of the original post. It's not about integrating an Asgardian character into a street level campaign, it's about a normal human possessing a magic item of Asgardian origin.

The OP said

" I'm thinking they give him the abilities of an Asgardian Ogre or Giant"
Okay that is super human strength maybe at the incredible level. A bit over kill for earth Street level, wouldn't you agree? If you've got the power to crush a normal human, and bring him or her to 0 health or lower with one blow, you are not " street level ". The character if made better watch his karma!

Street level to me is reserved for excellent level damage characters with an upper level example being say Daredevil.

I suppose there can be a lower power magic item in Guardian, but can you name one? I can't. Could you make one up? Sure.

July 11, 2018 08:30AM
Taarna
Thrudjelmer

The OP said

Okay that is super human strength maybe at the incredible level. A bit over kill for earth Street level, wouldn't you agree? If you've got the power to crush a normal human, and bring him or her to 0 health or lower with one blow, you are not " street level ". The character if made better watch his karma!

Street level to me is reserved for excellent level damage characters with an upper level example being say Daredevil.

I suppose there can be a lower power magic item in Guardian, but can you name one? I can't. Could you make one up? Sure.

I was going to ask how you defined Street Level since Power Man/Luke Cage is (or at least was) considered Street Level while having Incredible Strength and Endurance and Incredible natural Body Armor. Spider-man is in the same area. Even Iron Fist isn't Street Level by your definition since he can if necessary deliver attacks capable of dealing up to Monstrous damage.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 12, 2018 04:25AM
Nightmask
Taarna
Thrudjelmer

The OP said

I was going to ask how you defined Street Level since Power Man/Luke Cage is (or at least was) considered Street Level while having Incredible Strength and Endurance and Incredible natural Body Armor. Spider-man is in the same area. Even Iron Fist isn't Street Level by your definition since he can if necessary deliver attacks capable of dealing up to Monstrous damage.

I would define street level as something where below Remarkable strength, powers, or weapons is enough to get the job done. Common criminals, boss types ( kingpin ), gangs, drug lords, and such. Batman like rouges if you will.

Well below group level super hero’s, street level to me is matched with a solo type of super hero, human martial arts heroes, or high tech heroes who don’t have incredible or above level weapons.

Spiderman might have started out on Street level when he was a teenager. Is he now? I have no idea, as I have not read comics in decades. But he could be hurt by normal men with typical damage. An Asgardian can not.

Powerman to me has Street level origins, but is a tank like charter. W I always felt his rather obscure villains were stereotypical and on the silly side. I looked them up

[www.toylabs.us]

July 15, 2018 02:21AM
As for the item(s) itself, might I suggest the ring Andvaranaut. This is the ring (and belt) that Siegfried took from Brünhild in a most truly F-ed up story. Really, if you have never read any of the Siegfried epic poems, get ready for some messed up s**t.

The ring and belt seemed to give her great strength and warrior prowess. In game terms you could make the ring less effective without the belt, therefore making it more “street level” to fit your campaign. The belt could be a quest for your character later on as a means of increasing his/her power if you wanted to elevate from the streets.

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”
― Oscar Wilde
July 28, 2018 10:29AM
The Punisher is "street level," but his anti-tank rocket launcher is still gonna do Incredible damage.

To me "street, cosmic, etc." is a measure of threat levels to face. I played the Silver Surfer in a street campaign once. For all of his power, he was practically useless because it's hard to interrogate a thug after he's been vaporized. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 15
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.