My giant tournament results

Posted by lazlo_dei 
My giant tournament results
June 03, 2009 08:01AM
I had an itch to scratch...to set up and run a giant tournament for characters from various universes.

I used Classic Marvel rules (or at least my interpretation of them)...and I extensively used this site for stats of Marvel and DC characters...thanks! However, I also made up a handful of other characters (Jedi, Buffy, Conan, Aliens, Predators, He-man, Optimus Prime, etc.).

In all, there were 217 characters...so I broke them into 'weight classes'. My weight classes are primarily based on the Health stat, but if a character had some special attribute, I'd bump him/her up one or more ranks. For example, my version of Yoda gave him a Health of 97, but he had a lightsaber of UN energy and the Force power of Monstrous that massively jacks up his fighting, agility, and initiative stats. So, it would hardly be fair to match Yoda against Elektra (Health of 100). So Yoda was bumped up in weight class. Ditto for the other Jedi's, Wolverine, Green Lanterns, etc.

BTW: Each weight-class winner (and sometimes the contenders) get the opportunity to fight in the next weight-class...if they choose (I threw in some role playing to keep it interesting).

So here are the final four winners by weight class (listed as 4th place, 3rd place, 2nd place, WINNER):

100-124: Longshot, Typhoid Mary, Judge Dredd , FLAG SMASHER

125-149: Little John, Demolition Man, Batman, KILLER CROC (Croc killed Batman for to win the tournament!)

150-174: Task Master, Conan, Predator, HEIMDALL

175-199: Warbird, Rhino, Doc Samson, CONAN (with Heimdall's sword)

200-233: Wolverine, Hogan, Ronan, BLOB

234-266: Mary Marvel and SIf tied for third, ABSORBING MAN and TITANIA tied for first (as a married couple, they wouldn't fight each other)

267-299: Absorbing Man, Sentinel Hunter, Captain Marvel Jr., ULIK

300-349: Terrax, Guy Gardner, Prime, AQUAMAN (a modified version)

350-399: not enough characters

400-474: Aquaman, Kurse, Bizarro, WONDER WOMAN

475-574: Mangog, Black Adam, Wonder Woman, KURSE

575-699: Mon-El, Ymir, Captain Marvel, SUPERMAN

700-849: Ymir, Superman, Chthon, DEMOGORGE

The last couple tournaments took forever because of regeneration and I felt, even in this surreal tournament environment, it was silly to force universe-level characters in a ring...so I stopped here. Anyway, here was the line up for the last few weight-classes:

850-1049: Ego, Lord Chaos, Master Order, Nightmare, Surtur, Galactus, Chthon, Demogorge
1050-1349: Beyonder, Celestra -exl, Demiurge, winner of previous weight-class
1350-1800: Death, Eternity, Living Tribunal, winner of previous weight-class

Other interesting stats and notes:

-Overall, the Asgardians had the most victories, but also the most defeats.

-Magneto's team (thanks to Blob) had the best victory to defeat ratio.

-The worst team was Hell (Hades, Hela, Blackheart, Mephisto, Dorommu, etc.).

-Individually, Conan had the best ratio...having 9 victories and two losses. Conan's beserker rage (and the stat increases it gives him) saved his butt several times.

-Conan and Aquaman killed the most people (four each). Conan beheaded Buffy, Namor, Crimson Dynamo!

-Surprise victories was Typhoid Mary seducing/beating NightCrawler and Punisher (she rolled her phermones well!).

-When Flag Smasher fought Typhoid Mary, he won intiative and killed her with his mace in one strike! The only one-hit kill!

-Heihachi beat Alien-Predator just one round before Heihachi passed out from bleeding.

-Morbius turned Imus Champion and Copperhead into vampires.

-Buffy dusted Morbius.

-Megatron beat Optimus Prime :- (

-Iron Man beat Doom.

-Omega Red disintigrated Luke Cage.

-Sentinals beat Hawkman, Spiral, Spiderman, Shang Chi, Yoda, and Mace.

-Those beating Sentinals were: Flagsmasher, Batman, Task Master, Namor, Sphinx 2, Powergirl, and Ulik.

-Sif fatally sliced the Tick early in their match and then she avoided his punches until he bled to death, 30 rounds later!

-Titania gets the cat-fighting award for seeking out and defeating: She-Hulk, Powergirl, Sif, and Mary Marvel.

-In a special match, Wonder Woman beat Titania.

-Wolverine wiped the floor with Sabertooth (hello? Wolvy has double the regen and more damaging claws).

-Superman wiped the floor with Doomsday (hello? extra strikes per round).

-Hulk was knocked out by Mon-El before Hulk could get mad enough to max out his stats.

-In a special grudge match, Hulk (starting with max stats) easily beat Superman.

-The Superman/Captain Marvel fight was epic...going back and forth (Supes superior strength gave him just enough advantage to overcome Cap's superior fighting skill).

-Booster Gold paid for the tournament. He beat Beast, but then was killed by Captain America.

Other than having a lot of fun, I learned that characters with weapons that cause bleeding (edged and energy) and multiple attacks per round tended to win, but every character definately has a chance (e.g., Blob!!! and Absorbing Man!!!)...it all depends on the dice!
Re: My giant tournament results
July 20, 2009 02:19AM
years ago my friends and i did fighting tournaments too.

We also had "weight"/ power classes also but figured them differently.

we added HEALTH + KARMA + Maximum regular possible damage per hit + Regular defense/armor.

so you might have 90 health 36 karma excellent strength for 20 points and good body armor for 10 points = 156 power points

if you got multiple attacks it did Not go towards your max damage score -
July 20, 2009 02:22AM
How did Ironman lose?

if he turned on his image generator creating 12 images that move as he does plus turning on his Sonic Attack - 50 points of damage every round + possible stun- he would be really tough to beat!!!

and repulsor damage at ranged with flight.
August 01, 2009 11:55AM
I didn't have any particular formula, but I did consider power and other attributes. Often, I bumped characters who I thought would have too easy of a time up a rank. And sometimes, if a character was having too easy of a time in one class, I'd undo his matches and just bump 'em up a rank.

Undoing the matches led to some role playing. Usually, the intelligent villians or the popular heroes who may have already lost got back in the tournament...Heihachi and Longshot.

Anyway, Ironman was one of those who I bumped. Ironman's Health is 210, but when he wiped the floor with Doctor Doom in the 200-233 class, I decided to bump him up to the 234-266 class.

In that class, he went toe to toe with Captain Marvel Junior (only a Health of 195, but he was simply too powerful so he got bumped two ranks). It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the blow by blow, but it was a good fight. I do remember looking over Ironman's vast array of attacks for a Shift X electrical attack on this site, but he doesn't have that...a Shift X electrical attack would change CMJ into a kid. Ironman did get a chance to blast CMJ with a uni-beam. However, due to CMJ's speed, he was able to get close and use his multiple attacks to defeat Ironman.
August 03, 2009 09:38AM
Just curious, did you run all these fights yourself?
August 06, 2009 01:28AM
in mine i had 3 other players who would take their favorites or we would flip a coin to decide who got who to control
August 06, 2009 02:48PM
Ya, I ran them all myself.

My buddies have proven themselves to be lousy at paper-based RPG's. They simply argue too much and try to control things (like having four DMs running a D&D game at once). They totally miss the point of playing for the fun of it. They are all into Fantasy sports (gambling) now anyway.

To prevent myself from surfing the net too much at work (a company no-no), I created this giant tournament and played a few matches a week. After a few months, I had finished.
May 17, 2013 10:15PM
nice im going to be doing something similiar o you and what belle reeve have done for fun and realy to get my marv fix.
May 18, 2013 06:31PM
I like the idea of a Killer Instink/Mortal Kombat style tournament with all the characters I've accumulated over the years and years.
but I'm thinking more of a drawing names out of a hat instead of weight classes.

My characters:

Retcon: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

Mutant Managerie: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
May 18, 2013 09:31PM
sounds cool, though i have to say mortal combat is by far my favorite of the two. Ill be using scorpian and sub-zero on grandmaster side of tourney.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.