Anyone still putting together a game out there?

Posted by Wendell_Burke 
Anyone still putting together a game out there?
November 21, 2016 02:16PM
Hey, most of these posts look fairly old. Is anyone out there still looking to put together a Marvel game? I'd be interested to hear about it.
Re: Anyone still putting together a game out there?
November 22, 2016 01:21AM
I am getting very close to running a PBP game. Just waiting till I'm sure I've got the concept down.

I'll probably be ready around the 1st of the year.

November 28, 2016 12:50PM
Hey Barna10, thanks for the reply! You bring up something that's been kind of puzzling me. I've been looking for a pretty specific kind of game. I love beating up bad guys of course, but I also require some pretty significant/ deep role playing. I want Contacts to be more than just a slot machine lever you pull for goodies. I want my non combat Talents to matter. I love having conversations between other characters and npc's alike that don't just revolve around the story. What I'm finding is that the people who like this kind of stuff are all pretty much pbp. The thing is, I really want the live interaction of either a face to face game or a live online game. I don't want to spend a month crawling through a single conversation, but the people that I've seen that play live games don't seem to have much interest in these things at all. I feel like the sweet spot is right between the scales but what I'm seeing is more just the extremes. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this!
November 29, 2016 04:11PM
I think your observations are spot on.

I used to be 100% against PbP, but it's all I've been able to do over the last several years and I've learned a few tricks that make it a bit better.

First and foremost is a rapid post rate. With the right players and 3+ posts a day from each player means a good-paced game.

Second, RP is MUCH better in PbP where each player has equal time to RP his/her character.

Third, PbP is tons better for the shy player AND the player that likes to grab the spotlight. Both can do their "thing" without stepping on each others' toes.

So, as I work on the JMCC more, the fire to run a Marvel PbP grows by the day! If you interested in giving it a try, let me know.

November 30, 2016 07:07PM
I'm running Day of the Octopus at Garycon. I might start a bi weekly Roll 20 game after that.

I know one other person is running 4 games there as well.
December 02, 2016 05:23PM
I'll be starting a campaign set in the CW-verse.

Yes, we'll use the classic Marvel RPG, but the themes and characters will be DC. Power levels will be Marvel (for intance, if there is Superman, his Strength will be UN and he will AM True Invulnerability (or something like that))

Players will be free to play a DC inspired hero (a re-imaging of a cannon DC character), or can run an original character.

Power level will be street level.

Magic is a real thing and magical characters are acceptable.

Start date will be late January / early February.

Feel free to post questions here or PM me.

December 05, 2016 12:34PM
Barna10: Unfortunately. . .well, actually it's not unfortunate at all, but I have no real computer access for most of the day on weekdays so the pbp thing wouldn't really work for me.

"Second, RP is MUCH better in PbP where each player has equal time to RP his/her character."

Yeah, but I don't get that. It seems like most groups I see, by my standards, have nearly given up on role playing in a live game and pretty much treat them like video games which has absolutely NO interest for me.

"Third, PbP is tons better for the shy player AND the player that likes to grab the spotlight. Both can do their "thing" without stepping on each others' toes."

Yeah, but these problems are easily avoided if you just stick with a small group, say 3-4 players. I'm not arguing your own interest in pbp. I'm just surprised that so many gamers seem to follow such common behavioral patterns. I admit, I'm looking for something pretty specific, though I really do feel that what I want is mostly to play the game as it was originally laid out. I always enjoy chatting about what kinds of games people want but I've been surprised that more people don't have more particulars that they ask for. The consensus now seems to be 'it's all good' but as someone who's played in a number of those games, I can say that I just don't share that opinion. <smiling smiley By the way, what's JMCC?

"I'll be starting a campaign set in the CW-verse."

Yikes! <:O

Leonidas' Ghost: Thanks for mentioning it! I'll pop on roll 20 and take a look. I was in a few games there but I bailed on them both. Not my cup of tea.
December 14, 2016 05:07AM
I keep dancing around the idea of running the Gang War series online. I've even done a bit of prep for it on roll20 but have yet to actually have a go are running it.
December 14, 2016 12:29PM
J Bone
I keep dancing around the idea of running the Gang War series online. I've even done a bit of prep for it on roll20 but have yet to actually have a go are running it.

Not familiar with that story. Was that a Marvel story? Can you tell me about it?
December 14, 2016 05:26PM
If you folks do end up running a game using Roll 20, maybe you wouldn't mind recording it and putting up your sessions on Youtube? Would love to spectate from the sidelines. smiling smiley
December 15, 2016 04:12AM
The Gang Wars series is a 3 module story arch made for Classic marvel and available on this website for DL thanks to the awesome work of the dudes here. Its essentially the street level heroes adventure for guys like Cage, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Spidey. I've been monkeying around in making it for Mutants and Masterminds on roll20.

Now that the holidays are here I may give it a go. I'll ask around my online crew and see if there is any interest.
December 16, 2016 12:54PM
Oh, ok! I don't recall the titles but probably remember the cover art. <smiling smiley Sounds like that could be fun! I have a character that might be loosely in the category of Spidey that would be a lot of fun to play.
December 16, 2016 02:56PM
I have been thinking about running one again now that my life seems to have stabilized again...

- Grand Father died...
- Dad got Cancer...
- Wife died...

its been a shitty two years... but last 6 months have been pretty stable again.. and marvel has been on my mind a lot lately.. so i have been toying with several ideas for campaigns.
December 16, 2016 03:47PM
I have been toying with a concept for the last few months, which is effectively a hybrid system between the marvel tsr game and the Amber Diceless roleplaying game as far as game system goes.. but also the whole concept is basically a huge writing exercise with some moderator direction.

So instead of rolling dice and what not, players/writers would simply reference the marvel TSR stats in relation to opponents stats and basically the higher attribute would win unless other factors were involved.

So for example a character with AM 50 strength would typically always out muscle anyone under that rating.. so thats the norm... but then other factors like endurance, wounds and such could influence the outcome as well..

id probably do a more expansive write up if and when i actually launched it.

Anyway,.. the player/writer aspect is that they control the characters and write what ever they want as far as daily life and objectives are concerned with in the determined parameters of the universe in question - the moderator would then put forth challenges and or report results of actions in relation to story/plot overall...

Something like that.. .
December 16, 2016 03:59PM
I'm sorry as hell to hear about how rough things have been for you, Dark. I hope things continue to stabilize and get better. Thinking about Marvel always makes me feel better. Maybe it's the whole idea of hope and being able to actively fight to make the world a better place?
December 16, 2016 04:33PM
Another idea i had - was basically a massive Secret Wars game based on the original concept of the Beyonder drawing in heros and villains and dumping them on Battleworld.. but instead of just Marvel, also include DC/Image characters as well.

I have a few different concepts as to the actual game itself:

Team Concept 1: All the players play heroes.. (either DC or Marvel)
Team Concept 2: All the player play heroes.. but must choose DC or Marvel - and basically start as two different teams (so can have some of those ackward hero battle hero fights.. most of Image Comic characters woudl fall under the DC universe).
Team Concept 3: Half the Players play heroes.. half the players play villains.
Team Concept 4: 1/4 of the players would be marvel heros.. 1/4 DC heroes.. 1/4 DC Villians.. 1/4 Marvel Villians
Team Concept 5: all the player would play villians

Characters:
Basically the plan would be to include pretty much everyone (with the possible exception of certain cosmic beings.. as it mostly has to do with Earth and those who reside on it most of the time)...though it is possible some make appearances. However - the Active Characters would be limited to a certain number (see below) - but IF an active character is killed (it is a war after all)... then a replacement character would be ported in... though i did have the idea of just have all the rest of the characters as NPCS doing stuff in the back ground.. or directed by the PCs to do things.. they then bugger off to do what ever.. and that way there could be a lot of back ground battles and stuff that the player characters learn about as they go along.. perhaps even sometime like Hunger Games... where the Beyonder flashes the image of dead characters in the sky...

Number of Characters:
It would really depend on how many characters each player can comfortable control and write for.. as there would probably be times there would interactions between your own characters (there would also be some NPC characters as well).

Character Selection:
Option 1: Players can select whom ever they want from their side.
Option 2: Players must select a 'team' (ie: xmen) and can only draw characters from that team.
Option 3: Players must select, depend on number of course, characters of various levels (ie: near-gods to no-power characters)
Option 4: Randomized - Players will either provide random numbers or the moderator will roll random numbers and compare to the list of characters and assigned characters based on the roll...

In addition to just the Heroes vs Villians aspect - there will also be a bunch of other things going on and other threats.. as Battleworld itself is created from chunks of hundreds of other worlds - with all kinds of life forms and such. It is also assumed that the characters will also try to find a way to escape and/or defeat the beyonder or persuade the beyonder to end things and so on... possible 3rd parties who have a vested interest in the outcome.. and of course moderator controlled NPCs
December 16, 2016 04:33PM
Wendell_Burke
I'm sorry as hell to hear about how rough things have been for you, Dark. I hope things continue to stabilize and get better. Thinking about Marvel always makes me feel better. Maybe it's the whole idea of hope and being able to actively fight to make the world a better place?

Ya.. i am in a much better place mentally now.. took about two years to recover.
December 16, 2016 07:04PM
Wow, sounds like you've been thinking of this one for a while. It's not really my cup of tea, but you should definitely try to run it. I'm sure a number of players would give it a go.
December 17, 2016 03:45AM
Damn Dark, sorry to hear about your losses.

Let me know if you get those ideas launched. Sounds like a pbp which I can mostly do even if not my fav form of gaming. I'd still be game to try.
December 17, 2016 04:21AM
J Bone
Damn Dark, sorry to hear about your losses.

Let me know if you get those ideas launched. Sounds like a pbp which I can mostly do even if not my fav form of gaming. I'd still be game to try.

ya.. well i live in canada... and really dont know anyone who plays this here anymore... as i would love to do sit-down versions of the game.. even my local game groups are more into pathfinder and such... and the rare people interested in superheros are into that mutant and masterminds game...
December 17, 2016 04:30AM
Yeah MnM is the flavor of Supers that gets the most traction when looking to get a game going online, VTT or pbp.
December 17, 2016 04:49AM
I find that everyone is pulling in different directions for things they want out of a game and that makes it difficult, especially if your tastes differ significantly from the majority. I also see everyone into the games like Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, etc. or they want you to keep switching to the newest game. I never got to explore these old games like I always wanted so I'm good with a lot of these until I do. I don't get bored of something I like very easily so I see myself enjoying Marvel for a long time to come. I've never been into pbp. Too slow for me, though I require the increased nuance that those games seem to share and the level of interactivity from the players, as opposed to players who only interact with the GM. Roll 20 using microphones works for me. Of course I'd prefer face to face live games, but I think that's the next best thing. Pbp is a bit too far removed for me, as you don't have that more rapid (by comparison) flowing story and spontaneity.
December 17, 2016 05:18AM
I have hordes of ideas:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - ELITE
- This concept is based more about the opening sequence of Captain America: Winter Soldier - in which non to maybe medium powered characters are operating as S.H.I.E.L.D. directed operatives and performing missions of a more espionage, clandestine or strike team type fashion..
- Some character ideas: Captain America, Wolverine, hawkeye, blackwidow, Mockingbird, Moonknight, punisher, daredevil, Iron fist... ect. I also thought of adding DC to the mix as well..

Dark Days
- This concept is a hybrid of the Civil War and Nightmares of Future Past story ideas - in that some major horrific superhero based event caused a shift in the governments thinking on the whole super hero matter - demanding not only registration, but also service - basically the various heroes and villians were given the choice of joining The CORPS - or being hunted down and imprisoned or killed. Those in the CORPS would act as elite operatives on behalf of the government - the rest would be criminals and outlaws. However - things didnt just stop with those with powers.. agencies like SHIELD were forced into the CORPS.. the Sentinel Program was modified and activated..

However.. it soon became the CORPS running the government as a form of marshal law - with the mysterious CORPS Commander now directing activities. Most of the 1st world nations have fallen in with the CORPS program (US, russia, uk, ect...) and its now minor or 3rd world nations that remain the few Corps free locations (though the Corps keep expanding into these regions as well). The CORPS itself seems to have become more evil and corrupt.. with even former heros who joined up seemingly becoming more vicious and aggressive than their former selves - even using deadly and brutal force in situations that dont require it.

Rumors: Wolverine operates a resistance cell out of canada, comprised mostly of mutants.
Captain America operates a resistance cell in western united states.
(if DC included) - The Batman operates a resistance cell in Gotham.
Latveria is a refuge of resistance in eastern europe, though the country is heavily sanctioned and its borders guarded heavily on both sides - The CORPS did try two minor pushes into the country but were repulsed - though there is talk of a major build up of resources for a heavy offensive into the country.
Nick Fury and some 'Good' SHIELD operatives are in hiding somewhere.

Players would play characters (hero or villain) who have so far managed to avoid CORPS.... staying alive.. resisting CORPS.. and even trying to find a way to defeat CORPS and return the world to sanity. I thought about also including DC/Image into the mix.

STORMWATCH
Based on the concept of the Image title Stormwatch - effectively a UN supported and Sanctioned group of international heroes whom operate on behalf of the UN to deal with international, extra-terrestrial or superhuman threats to the world. The Active Team members would be from different countries (so like 1 American, 1 Canadian, 1 russian.. ect..ect) - Could also include Image and DC characters in addition to Marvel.

The team would be assigned various mission types (and stumble upon some deeper story concepts as well).

NEW ORIGINS
Basically erase the entire history of the marvel universe as in NONE of it happened. Then the players would play as their selected Marvel Character at the point of origin (or alternate origin if their origin was heavily dependent on marvel history).. So for Example: Spider-man would be Peter Park shortly after being bit by spider and uncle ben being killed... but he has never tangled with Green Goblin, Sandman, Doc Oct. Wolverine would be Logan shortly after he staggered out of the woods in canada with no idea of his past... Captain America waking up after being frozen for 70 years... ect.. There characters would then operate in a fresh marvel universe without comic history - encountering villains for the 1st time.. encountering things like SHIELD or HYDRA for the 1st time (well unless someone plays Cap.. then he has some recollection of HYDRA from world war II.)... BASICALLY everything starts fresh and clean and new and players can explore the character with new beginnings and the GM can use elements in a new way (like if Wolverine is a player - the player and GM could arrive at a completely different story concept about how he got his adamantium skeleton..)... maybe its a world with no Charles Xavier to show an alternative option to Mutants.. maybe Mutants are very rare.. ect..ect.. Could also merge in the DC/Image Universe as well.. making it an even more unique universe with new places and events... like what if The Joker was Spiderman's nemesis instead of Batmans....
December 17, 2016 05:33AM
NEW ORIGINS: COSMIC
Basically this concept it like new Origins - but with space and cosmic level characters - a sort of new Guardians of the Galaxy concept - players would play primarily space based characters drawn together to prevent some bad stuff from happening in the universe. Encounter beings like Galactus and Thanos for the 1st time... drawn into galactic wars... again even more expansive if we include the DC/Image Universe... like a war between the Shi'ar and the Thanagarians.... encountering Darkseid... rivalry between the Nova Corps and Green Lantern Corps... Cosmic Cubes.. infinity stones... celestials.. could also encounter the various mythos/gods... maybe even into the realms of magic perhaps (though was thinking more space based to be honest).
December 18, 2016 10:31AM
Wow, that is a lot of ideas. Well I'm sure you'll get some hits on some of them! It's always fun to watch new games come together.
December 18, 2016 10:56AM
I'm trying to get an online game going now.
December 18, 2016 12:47PM
MechanovaKing: Can you tell us about the game you're thinking of running?
December 21, 2016 03:38AM
Dark
I have been toying with a concept for the last few months, which is effectively a hybrid system between the marvel tsr game and the Amber Diceless roleplaying game as far as game system goes.. but also the whole concept is basically a huge writing exercise with some moderator direction.

So instead of rolling dice and what not, players/writers would simply reference the marvel TSR stats in relation to opponents stats and basically the higher attribute would win unless other factors were involved.

So for example a character with AM 50 strength would typically always out muscle anyone under that rating.. so thats the norm... but then other factors like endurance, wounds and such could influence the outcome as well..

id probably do a more expansive write up if and when i actually launched it.

Anyway,.. the player/writer aspect is that they control the characters and write what ever they want as far as daily life and objectives are concerned with in the determined parameters of the universe in question - the moderator would then put forth challenges and or report results of actions in relation to story/plot overall...

Something like that.. .

Conceptually, it sounds like you're doing something similar to a MUSH game I played online in the 90s. Since there wasn't a dice rolling capacity on the MUSH site at the time, the defending character was responsible for comparing the incoming attack intensities and relevant defensive stats, and then describing the impact/result of the attack. Players were encouraged to describe things in vivid detail and play reasonably/fairly. The MUSH GM would only step in if the defending character was being ridiculous and dodging anything and everything, regardless of rank differential. If done well, it can be a lot of fun.
December 24, 2016 11:15AM
Captain Knucklehead

Conceptually, it sounds like you're doing something similar to a MUSH game I played online in the 90s. Since there wasn't a dice rolling capacity on the MUSH site at the time, the defending character was responsible for comparing the incoming attack intensities and relevant defensive stats, and then describing the impact/result of the attack. Players were encouraged to describe things in vivid detail and play reasonably/fairly. The MUSH GM would only step in if the defending character was being ridiculous and dodging anything and everything, regardless of rank differential. If done well, it can be a lot of fun.

yes pretty much like that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.