Have you seen Cloverfield?

Posted by Secret Defender 
Have you seen Cloverfield?
May 10, 2008 02:27PM
. . .and if you have any thoughts on how to stat the monster and it's little helpers??
Re: Have you seen Cloverfield?
May 11, 2008 11:28AM
Secret Defender Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . .and if you have any thoughts on how to stat
> the monster and it's little helpers??

I am a Monster Movie Fan. King Kong, Godzilla, Rodan, et al...

I thought Cloverfield was a real monster movie. Scary, with a touch of realism due to the way it was filmed though first person view of a camera.

The Cloverfield monster to me is a bit hard to give stats for. For openers, the monster did not get a lot of screen time, nor did he engage the military much. A bomber plane landed a bomb on the monster is back, and seemed to hurt the monster enough to stop it in its tracks.

What made the Colverfield Monster extra dangerous was its young spawns attacking everything. Once one of the spawns bite someone, death seemed certain a few hours later.

Best guess on the stats:

Fighting: Monstrous
Agility: Typical
Strength: Shift Y
Endurance: Unearthly
Reason: Poor
Intuition: Good
Psyche: Incredible

Health: 381

Powers: Body Armor: Remarkable vs Physical and Energy attacks

Extra Arms: Four Arms, two long front arms, two shorter torso arms. The Cloverfield Monster can mutli task during combat by grabbing or throwing things with his arms.

Swimming: Incredible.

Leaping: Remarkable for its size, threat as Amazing for jumping areas.

Great bulk. Treated as Shift Z strength for charging, wrestling, or moving objects in its path.

Bite — Unearthly Damage.

Sonic Scream — Good. Targets in the area must make a green psyche feat roll or suffer -2cs on all feat rolls for three rounds due to fear and confusion.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 02:30PM by Taarna.
May 12, 2008 12:49AM
Looks reasonable. I rented the DVD saw it for the first time with a pal who has seen it twice before.
He pointed out to me to go back to the final scene at Coney Island when the original video tape show the ocean off the beach of Coney Island.
If you look to the right while listening to the dialogue, you see something fall from the sky and crash into the ocean. The date on the video is apprx one month from the night of the going away party.
The movie has a lot of layers to it.
The making of the movie in the special features is very cool to watch as well.
May 12, 2008 04:26AM
Anyone else get a queasy stomach watching this? The first person POV was a bit too jostling.

As for Cloverfield's stats, i'd just use the FGiant Radioactive Dinosaur model. i doubt he's tougher than Godzilla.
May 12, 2008 06:05AM
I'm going to check this movie out and would like to help, if I could, at fleshing these stats out a bit more. Perhaps try to add a background to it.
May 12, 2008 09:14AM
Hmmm....I may avoid seeing it now for that very reason. That first person thing is okay for a scene or two, but not the whole movie. Not for me anyway.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 12, 2008 10:04AM
my wife got motion sickness from the movie, i didnt. aal In all I liked the movie, i guess it would best be described as Blairwitch project meats godzilla
May 12, 2008 02:25PM
CapoCastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else get a queasy stomach watching this?
> The first person POV was a bit too jostling.
>
> As for Cloverfield's stats, i'd just use the
> FGiant Radioactive Dinosaur model. i doubt he's
> tougher than Godzilla.

Godzilla would destroy the cloverfield monster. You could argue the Colverfield monster can be more dangerous due to its spawns wrecking havoc.

My Godzilla stats

Fighting: Unearthly
Agility: Typical
Strength: Shift Z
Endurance: Shift Z
Reason: Typical
Intitution: Good
Psyche: Amazing

Health: 1106

Powers:

Thick Hide: Equivalent of Incredible body armor vs all types of attacks, except for magic.

Healing: Amazing level.

Atomic breath: Unearthly radiation and heat. Range at least 150 areas.

Bite: Shift X damage.

Tail: Shift X blunt damage.

Gargantuan size: Treat as shift Z Wresting, and breaking through man made objects such as buildings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 02:27PM by Taarna.
May 12, 2008 02:35PM
Must not get sucked into this argument again... must not get sucked into this argument again... eye popping smiley
May 12, 2008 02:37PM
This is a quote from one of the Cloverfield websites:

J.J. Abrams has said “The concept for the monster is simple. He’s a baby. He’s brand-new. He’s confused, disoriented and irritable. And he’s been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years.” What you see falling is a satellite, and it’s the recovery of that which awakens the beast…

The baby? Sheesh. Ain't that a revoltin' development.
May 12, 2008 05:44PM
Ahem, for more info on the monster you can get it all on the Facebook page [www.facebook.com] for the movie! It is a baby. The thing falling from the sky is a satellite. It does awaken the monster. The things falling from it are not the spawn or babies of it, they are parasites living on it! This is where it gets sketchy; it has been underwater for thousands of years and a mining facility drilling under water removed the earth that had it covered and kept it dormant. Yes, Godzilla would squash this thing easy, two factors: regeneration and atomic flame! Cloverfield monster has.....only melee!? Regardless, the film is worth watching at least once and to see folks putting stats to him/it is great! Though he/it may not be a match for Godzilla, it still is quite formidable anyway. It actually reminds me of the monster in Godzilla 2000! It can jump very high, can take a fair amount of damage from ground and air attacks. It also has an ability to move very fast as it appeared to cover large amounts of distance in a short time. Yeah, some people do get a little sick watching it, but the first person POV it takes makes it a classic and gives it a very real feel! Before long, you forget that you are watching a movie (like Joaquin Phoenix in "Signs") and you find yourself wanting to yell at the people in the film to 'run' or 'get down!' Lol!

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
kicks and giggles
May 13, 2008 04:19PM
Alright. Let us have a rumble. Marvel movie FF, Spidey, and the X-Men from their first movie have become aware that something has invaded lower Manhattan and is winning. The Statue of Liberty has not only been decapitated, but Lady Liberty's head has been hurled nearly half a mile (20 areas) from it's point of origin. Don't forget the "parasites". Their bite causes the human body to explode within an hour being bitten.

I know that the default is for Torch to go nova. .. is that the only way to win?
Re: kicks and giggles
May 13, 2008 07:15PM
Not if Xavier corrupts its mind! If it has a mind?eye rolling smiley The rest of the heroes can handle the parasites, but it would be fun to watch! I'll even bet Wolvie gets bit!

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 07:17PM by Daikumanoken.
May 14, 2008 03:46PM
We know that Logan's healing factor would negate infection so he would be fine.
Torch would be good for frying the critters as would Storm.

I think as long as the heroes with ranged attack powers could stay clear of the monster's slugfest, grapple, or charge attacks, ultimately the beastie would fall. Reed, naturally, would figure something out.
Lots of opportunity for teamwork with Spidey and Thing. I think that it would be a fun battle.

How would one best utilize Invisible Woman?

As far as the Professor let's just go ahead and rule that the creatures mind is too primitive or animalistic for him to attempt to control.

Ah. . .would Magneto help his mutant brothers in this fight? Or would he care two poots if potentially millions of humans could be eradicated by such a monster and creepy-crawlers??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 15
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.