Forum, Lies, & B.S. !

Posted by The_Fingerling 
Forum, Lies, & B.S. !
April 15, 2008 01:48PM
Why doesn’t Aunty P give up the Message boards since the Skycutter Has everything else fixed around here that way it will once again become whole Got Dammit!!!!!!!!!! And no more Bullshit about GoDaddy.com angry smiley
Re: Forum, Lies, & B.S. !
April 15, 2008 02:01PM
For not giving up the message boards Aunty P you SIR ! are today's lucky winner of the HAPPY SHOT! grinning smiley

Joe
April 15, 2008 07:24PM
Why don't you just PM him and ask him. This childish stuff is already getting old.
April 16, 2008 10:02AM
Who is this loser and why is he being a bone head?
April 16, 2008 11:11AM
What an a--hole. Grow up. You have nothing to do with the internal workings of this site, from either the hosting side or the owners side, yet you've decided you have all the answers. Let those who are in a position to administer this work out a solution. Paranoia runs rampant.

That's not to mention that if a solution can't be found and the old posts do not come back it's not really hurting you or any other users of this site.
April 16, 2008 11:45AM
Gentlemen,

While I understand everyone's opinions here, I would prefer that there are no more responses to this thread. All it does is move it to the top of the Discussion list and draw more attention to it. Even responding to this type of post can encourage more of the same in the future. I'm asking this of all members here:

Please add no more posts to this topic.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
April 16, 2008 11:49AM
This is an excellent way to start a new board. Props to Fingerling for putting his best foot forward.

As to GoDaddy. The "lies" or facts as i like to call them are this... The messageboard database was too big to backup via the standard online control panel they supply. I put in a support request to have them execute a backup as i was unable (see above for reason). However, they have responded with generic answers that do not actually resolve the request. The hosting account has now been suspended and they want $150 (I'm not prepared to pay) as an administrative cost to backup the database on a cancelled/suspended account. I am still fighting this as the request spans several weeks and extended prior to the hosting being suspended.

Now if you someone has contacts with GoDaddy feel free to review
Incident ID: 3660386 (March 28)
Incident ID: 3682803 (April 1)
Incident ID: 3722467 (open since April 7).

And fixing things back to normal... I offered and gave much assistance in the process. I even upload the whole friggin site ., gave Cutter links to get things (messageboard and search engine) back up. Where are my props... I 'm happy to give the site to someone who seems to care and wish the best going forward and Cutter is exactly that like minded individual. You Fingerling and others like you really need to get your facts straight before throwing stones.

When I had the site, I tried to remain impartial and not interfere with the community. This I believe helped to foster a free thinking and open community, rather than a stifled, monitored and ultimately censored forum. Things have changed and I am now just a member of the community rather than site manager. Please don't expect the same impartiality.

And to TLB.. locking the thread is the right decision to make. This will allow it to remain forever until it ultimately drifts off into the anneals of forgotten space of the messageboards?? This will require admin or moderator privileges, since you have neither... Cutter will have to set that up. tongue sticking out smiley
April 16, 2008 01:50PM
I know that a lot of the members are upset and I totally understand. I can relate to those who wanted the original forum message boards back in place on this site, but that is not the case! I will speak with Aunt_Petunia off site to see what I can do about paying for this $150 administrative cost to backup the database to restore the forum back to the way it was.

As for the props here they are, ClassicMarvel.com is and was the brain child of Aunt_Petunia! I'm asking all members to stop the arguing, it is not helping! I know who has done what, for who and that is all that matters. I would like the site to be great again and I believe this can happen, but we need to come together as a united community. smoking smiley

The Cutter
April 16, 2008 01:56PM
Agreed! (For Nowangry smiley)
April 16, 2008 02:14PM
The_Skycutter
I know that a lot of the members are upset and I totally understand. I can relate to those who wanted the original forum message boards back in place on this site, but that is not the case! I will speak with Aunt_Petunia off site to see what I can do about paying for this $150 administrative cost to backup the database to restore the forum back to the way it was.

As for the props here they are, ClassicMarvel.com is and was the brain child of Aunt_Petunia! I'm asking all members to stop the arguing, it is not helping! I know who has done what, for who and that is all that matters. I would like the site to be great again and I believe this can happen, but we need to come together as a united community. smoking smiley

The Cutter

Agreed.
Forum, Truth, & T.L.C.
April 19, 2008 02:09PM
Aunt Petunia,

I've just gotten off the phone with Skycutter, and he tells me that he will do anything he can to put this community back together, including pay the $150 needed to gain access to the old forum database. So I guess it is all good now. How do you feel about that?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Forum, Truth, & T.L.C.
April 19, 2008 02:13PM
He told me the same thing and I back Cutter a 110% all the way. cool smiley
Re: Forum, Truth, & T.L.C.
April 19, 2008 05:19PM
I can toss that up in triplicate, because Sky and I chatted earlier this afternoon as well.

He'll pay you the $150 for the admin fees to get the DB and the domain.

Regards,

Niniri

April 20, 2008 05:48PM
Well now.. I have gotten the copy of the database from GoDaddy (thanx senior support). If you still want to give me $150, I'm all for it.
Just waiting for a location to put it.. the file is 160Mb (there about).
April 20, 2008 06:11PM
Congratulations and glad to see that you got them to see reason and save that money for more important things!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 21, 2008 05:37AM
aunt_petunia
Well now.. I have gotten the copy of the database from GoDaddy (thanx senior support). If you still want to give me $150, I'm all for it.
Just waiting for a location to put it.. the file is 160Mb (there about)

You can send it to me; I'll be glad to take care of it, and get it up and going as well as possible. We (Skycutter and I) were thinking that instead of trying to merge everything and risk messing up peoples accounts by overwriting data, we would perhaps put the old forum up on another domain or a subdomain for reference. Or we can try to merge some of the data. What does everyone think?

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 21, 2008 06:02AM
Hi, Kevin,

I'm most interested in what is going to keep this site stable. The phorums are working nicely right now.
If there is a way to put up the old phorum db and be able to access it as an archive, from which we can
all go back and reference older posts or information, that might be for the best.

I've got a background in desktop support/IT and ISP/manufacturer techie with hardware. I'm not one of
the gifted codemonkies, but I do know that certain types of code/programming scrips just can't co-exist
in a stable environment. I can't really speak to what's in the backend of what Aunt P's got for that old
forum db, but I'd much rather see it set up as separate subdomain that's searchable and stable than
risk destabilizing what works really well with the fourms right now.

Alot may depend on what you and Skycutter find--once you get ahold of it and can pop it open and see
how "ugly" the whole thing is... so my suggestion's going to be to err on the side of caution and see if
you can salvage it to be searchable as a read-only archive, set up on a subdomain that can be acessed
through a link on the front page and from the menu dropdowns at the top of every page.

Just my two bucks worth,

Cheers,

Niniri the Geekgrrl

April 21, 2008 06:11AM
Niniri,

Sounds good to me. I expect it'll be a phpMyAdmin standard sql database dump, and even though I'm not familiar with the old forum, I was left with the impression that it used the same Phorum software. If that's the case, it shouldn't be a problem; however, like you, I'm interested in what'll keep the current setup stable. So no matter what, we'll probably keep it somewhere else, and then if there are items that would be worth integrating, we'll examine that option. Basically, we'll wait to get feedback from everyone, and see if there's anything in particular they want imported.

Thanks for your response. I wonder if it might be worth reinstating the Announcements board, so that we don't have to keep hunting for these more important threads.

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 21, 2008 10:15AM
I think if the two DB can't be merged without losing material or causing problems that the old database works best as a separate searchable set of forums. Anything important from the old forums or just very popular can always be reposted to the new forums (perhaps with formatting corrections since we all know that the old forums did some funky things to posts at times). While we want all that material still available there was a lot of clutter from old announcements that made searching harder and could be removed without hurting anything (you can always post again when your birthday comes around next after all and that con you loved spreading the word on likely won't be using the same information 5 years later, especially if it's defunct and no longer meeting every year). So we'd still have it but a tighter database that'll hopefully take years to fill up again. Also maybe it'll help leave the old flames and disagreements behind if those posts aren't sitting in the main DB for people to read and get upset over once again.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: Old Forum Database
April 21, 2008 11:41AM
I have to agree with Niniri and Nightmask on this. Having the old database available as a separate searchable archive seems like an excellent solution, making it available for perusal without risking jumble or confusion with the new forums by trying to integrate it.

I would also second Nightmask's idea for trimming out outdated birthday and convention announcements, as well as other non-pertinent material. We can always post new announcements in the new forum to celebrate birthdays or announce upcoming conventions, and such announcements could perhaps be deleted after the event is over and done...
Re: Old Forum Database
April 21, 2008 01:49PM
Great. We'll definitely take all of this under consideration, and I appreciate everyone's comments, since I personally am not familiar with the old forum. If tehre are any new ideas, keep them coming! Also... I haven't heard back from Aunt_Petunia yet, so we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. I'm getting in touch with Skycutter now to check in. Thanks, Everyone!

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 21, 2008 02:16PM
Aunt_Petunia, I'm happy to hear that you have a copy of the old message boards! If you could send it to me by way of [www.megaupload.com] that would be great!?! I want to get it loaded to the site for the members of our community. smoking smiley

The Cutter

April 21, 2008 03:10PM
Kevin, I think putting an 'announcements' area that is devoted specifically to important informational releases or places where feedback is desirable would be a good idea. Make one place the central point for communication of the really vital stuff so folks don't miss it.

Both Nightmask and Redman have offered good ideas as well--for cutting down on the clutter and bloat that can populate a forum of any kind. The meat-and-potatoes are what I'd like to see kept... all the game-related stuff. smiling smiley

Cheers and thanks for all the hard work, Kevin and SC. smiling smiley

N.

April 21, 2008 04:00PM
Yes, it was using the same application. No need for a separate subdomain etc.. just create a new database (must be alternate as otherwise will overwrite the new installs table structure) and a new directory. Then you can throw in a link in the header/footer to the restored db and have it as read only permissions. That way it's still searchable and no new info will be uploaded. The search engine i suggested can also search the db tables for content so old messages may also be retrieved using the megasearch engine (if that is still used here).

I will upload the database via megaupload and PM Skycutter the details. Should be done within the next couple of hours.
April 21, 2008 04:46PM
Niniri,

We really appreciate your recognition. The announcements board is up. I kept the announcements forum at the bottom of the Forum List to keep it out of the way, since the important announcements will appear in a prominent section at the top of the screen. If anyone has any issue with that, or questions or whatever, I would appreciate posts in the "Revamp" section, or a reply to the relevant announcements. PMing is okay if you really prefer not to publicly state something, but it can sometimes make it more difficult for me and Skycutter to collaborate, and it would be way easier for us to have the same public reference in a forum post.

People can create polls now, too! I like that the forum is really coming along, and maybe if we can get the old database up, I can pull the emails of former members and we can let them know that things are rolling along here again!

If anyone has questions or suggestions, keep 'em coming! But go ahead and post in the revamp section so we have a collection of suggestions and things in one central spot.

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 21, 2008 04:52PM
aunt_petunia
Yes, it was using the same application. No need for a separate subdomain etc.. just create a new database (must be alternate as otherwise will overwrite the new installs table structure) and a new directory. Then you can throw in a link in the header/footer to the restored db and have it as read only permissions. That way it's still searchable and no new info will be uploaded. The search engine i suggested can also search the db tables for content so old messages may also be retrieved using the megasearch engine (if that is still used here).

I will upload the database via megaupload and PM Skycutter the details. Should be done within the next couple of hours.

Aunt_Petunia,

If you don't mind, could you also send me the mega upload link? I have a feeling I'll be awake for a while, and it'll allow me to get a jump on the installation (Skycutter will just be forwarding it to me anyways). However, if you're not totally comfortable dealing with me in that regard, I understand. At any rate, I appreciate that you were able to get the database, and that you're working to produce it for everyone here.

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 22, 2008 05:38PM
It has already been done. PM'd the download link to Skycutter, who paid in full for the database.

Sorry Kevin, I'm a bad boy.
April 22, 2008 07:15PM
Aunt_P, not a big deal. I didn't anticipate you working with me directly, since you haven't before. I was just putting it out on the table for you. At any rate, it's all taken care of now. Thanks again.

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 23, 2008 11:43AM
Change can be Good Mere Mortals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.