Good and Bad House Rules

Posted by Nightmask 
Good and Bad House Rules
February 25, 2014 08:17AM
Picking up this idea from the Palladium forums since it does seem like a good topic to give a go here as well, what are some of the good or bad house rules you've had or seen over the years?

Bad House Rule: One guy said how a friend has spent hours preparing a character to join the friend's game when the GM rolled a dice when he walked in, told him he rolled a 100% which meant his character DIED before the game ever started and he'd have to make a new one. Said his friend turned around, left, and never came back.

Bad House Rule: One guy here has a house rule that a particular defensive action (like Dodging) doesn't work if your opponent's relevant stat is 2 or more ranks higher than your own. So basically all those times in the comics when you see someone like Xavier be fortunate enough to dodge a deadly energy blast in spite of having a low Fighting and Agility? Dead in his game, because you can't do anything to avoid the attack and have to hope that they roll poorly because you're a sitting duck otherwise (not a good game to be playing 'The Smart Guy' in, unless he's a 'Genius Bruiser').

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: Good and Bad House Rules
February 25, 2014 08:43AM
Not just bad house rule, but a bae game rule in general, the severe limitation on resources and resource creation powers. The limitation of ounces per health point is severly limiting and is not supported by the actual comics themselves

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
February 25, 2014 08:52AM
Chronomancer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not just bad house rule, but a bae game rule in
> general, the severe limitation on resources and
> resource creation powers. The limitation of ounces
> per health point is severly limiting and is not
> supported by the actual comics themselves

Yes, at least in the original Basic set you could simply save money and your Resource rank would improve due to your saving over a period of time and you could take found goods (like when Spider-man takes that gold notepad in Secret Wars II ) and convert them into Resource points that again might bump you into the next Resource Rank. With the Advanced set Resources were treated too much like Strength or Reason instead of being far more fluid and variable like Popularity.

For the creation powers David's already noted that was his ex-wife's fault, pushing that he really needed to limit them (guess she had that AD&D 'keep 'em poor' mentality many have) so that the powers can't even do the examples given for them (Lifeform Creation will never let you have your own personal She-Hulk, even if you're running all Unearthly FASE ).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
February 25, 2014 08:59AM
That and the creation rules for making stuff. Everything else is pretty much the same game mechanic except for creating stuff like equipment and powersuits and power enhancing devices. Those need to be streamlined and neatened up

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
February 26, 2014 03:32PM
Chronomancer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That and the creation rules for making stuff.
> Everything else is pretty much the same game
> mechanic except for creating stuff like equipment
> and powersuits and power enhancing devices. Those
> need to be streamlined and neatened up

True, although that would be a discussion for bad CANON rules, this is for bad HOUSE rules. ;-)

-- Peter David

February 26, 2014 07:04PM
Well, technically if they are included i the game at my place they qualify as "house rules" unless we are playingnin an apartment or library or such then i guess rhey would be "apartment" or "library" rules then wouldn't they?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 30
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.