Was Cap a Nazi all along?

Posted by Thrudjelmer 
Re: Was Cap a Nazi all along?
May 25, 2016 12:37PM
Left off how especially tacky it is having such a retcon come out just in time for Memorial day when we honor our fallen military heroes. Frankly looking at the stuff they've done it almost does make you wonder if the people running Marvel aren't actually honestly in support of evil and trying to destroy the belief in heroes by turning all the icons of heroism into villains or at least making them into anything but heroes.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
FTJ
May 25, 2016 12:45PM
They've gotta do something to set up Marvel Rebirth™.

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
May 25, 2016 01:19PM
FTJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They've gotta do something to set up Marvel
> Rebirth™.

Killing everything good about Marvel isn't going to produce a rebirth that's for sure, but hey maybe this will actually lead Disney to take over directly when it's obvious those running the comics are killing it.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 25, 2016 04:20PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> FTJ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They've gotta do something to set up Marvel
> > Rebirth™.
>
> Killing everything good about Marvel isn't going
> to produce a rebirth that's for sure, but hey
> maybe this will actually lead Disney to take over
> directly when it's obvious those running the
> comics are killing it.

If this proves anything its that the comics don't matter business-wise at all, and Disney couldn't care less about what happens within their pages. Look at the timing, this comes out just a few weeks after the blockbuster movie portraying him as the guy so willing to stand up for what he believes in that he is willing to tear the Avenger's apart.

They are so desperate for coverage that they will do anything that gets some press attention. Or they simply saw what Snyder did to Superman and said "hey maybe we should turn our pure as driven snow hero into a grade-A douche bag too".

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 25, 2016 06:46PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Left off how especially tacky it is having such a
> retcon come out just in time for Memorial day when
> we honor our fallen military heroes. Frankly
> looking at the stuff they've done it almost does
> make you wonder if the people running Marvel
> aren't actually honestly in support of evil and
> trying to destroy the belief in heroes by turning
> all the icons of heroism into villains or at least
> making them into anything but heroes.

I hadn't even considered that. Now I want everyone at Marvel who had anything to do with this to get bone cancer and just leave comics forever.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
FTJ
May 25, 2016 07:54PM
Warlock Wrote:
> If this proves anything its that the comics don't
> matter business-wise at all, and Disney couldn't
> care less about what happens within their pages.

That's basically true. Comic book revenue for the big two's parent companies is basically loose change found in the sofa.

I miss Gene.

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
May 26, 2016 05:25AM
This is either a (weak) joke, or it will be revealed that SR is pretending to be a double agent to take down Hydra ...

Otherwise this makes even less sense than normal Marvel / DC retconns. Why would SR try and destroy Red Skull, Strucker, Zemo et al if he was one of them?

About as realistic as stripped paint.
May 26, 2016 07:27AM
It's Cap's "Clone Saga" moment. It's easily explained away with Red Skull having a cosmic cube.

Done.

TAG
May 26, 2016 07:43AM
It might get worse, I keep hearing about a twitter campaign to push Marvel to write Cap as having a history of homosexuality similar to the Iceman sexual retcon.
May 26, 2016 07:46AM
These are the same people pushing to have Elsa in Frozen to have a girlfriend.

TAG
May 26, 2016 10:10AM
J Bone Wrote:
> It might get worse, I keep hearing about a twitter
> campaign to push Marvel to write Cap as having a
> history of homosexuality similar to the Iceman
> sexual retcon.

I think it makes more sense and is more productive to have Captain America be supportive of the LGBT community (as he is for everyone's personal freedoms) than to force yet another retcon on him.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
May 26, 2016 01:30PM
ThatArtGuy Wrote:
> These are the same people pushing to have Elsa in
> Frozen to have a girlfriend.
>
> TAG

Yet would be horribly offended at the idea of people pushing for a homosexual character to get an opposite sex partner. Maybe we should start vocally pushing for Northstar to get a girlfriend along with the latest Alan Scott Green Lantern.

-- Peter David

May 26, 2016 01:44PM
SunWuKong Wrote:
> This is either a (weak) joke, or it will be
> revealed that SR is pretending to be a double
> agent to take down Hydra ...
>
> Otherwise this makes even less sense than normal
> Marvel / DC retconns. Why would SR try and destroy
> Red Skull, Strucker, Zemo et al if he was one of
> them?
>
> About as realistic as stripped paint.

Unfortunately that would make sense, after all how many times have the Red Skull, Strucker, Zemo, etc tried to eliminate each other? That's standard boss villain behavior, where possible try and eliminate the competition until you're the one left in charge. But it would be completely contrary to every thought bubble and caption regarding Steve Rogers' thoughts, feelings, and motivations since he was created.

-- Peter David

May 26, 2016 01:54PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> But it would be completely contrary to every
> thought bubble and caption regarding Steve
> Rogers' thoughts, feelings, and motivations
> since he was created.

It would also be completely contrary to the not once but twice occasions that Captain America has lifted and used Mjolnir, proving he was one of the worthy few... before the whole idea of worthiness was thrown out the window for nonsense like the hammer might be intelligent and calling out to Jane Foster because "There must always be a Thor."

I guess, if the hammer does have some intelligence to facilitate it making the worthiness judgement, that Captain America is now considered SUCH an amazing double agent that he was able to somehow fool and foil the mystic might of Odin's enchantment.

May 26, 2016 05:31PM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But it would be completely contrary to every
> > thought bubble and caption regarding Steve
> > Rogers' thoughts, feelings, and motivations
> > since he was created.
>
>
> It would also be completely contrary to the not
> once but twice occasions that Captain America has
> lifted and used Mjolnir, proving he was one of the
> worthy few... before the whole idea of worthiness
> was thrown out the window for nonsense like the
> hammer might be intelligent and calling out to
> Jane Foster because "There must always be a
> Thor."
>
> I guess, if the hammer does have some intelligence
> to facilitate it making the worthiness judgement,
> that Captain America is now considered SUCH
> an amazing double agent that he was able to
> somehow fool and foil the mystic might of Odin's
> enchantment.

THIS
May 27, 2016 08:19AM
TAG hit it on the head: they're going to cosmic cube him back to old Cap. By the way, this happened just after cosmic cube transformed him back to youth.
So this is just a stunt to sell more comics- which they're doing like crazy. But I've read a LOT of lately, and I think Marvel miscalculated this one. People seem to be taking this personally, like they need Cap to be the American hero right now.
I hope they haven't damage the character's credibility.
May 27, 2016 10:12AM
Not an Amreican but still think this stinks!
May 27, 2016 11:03AM
Sorry for spelling mistake - in brew dog
May 27, 2016 06:13PM
I think this is the worst part. I thought this and I'm not even Jewish.

[panels.net]

TAG
May 27, 2016 08:33PM
ThatArtGuy Wrote:
> I think this is the worst part. I thought this
> and I'm not even Jewish.
>
> [panels.net]
> isemitism-and-publicity-stunts/
>
> TAG

So spot on (and not surprised that commenting was quickly disabled). There are things that exist that are simply not toys one can play with any way that they wish, they've grown beyond their original natures to become icons. Captain America is one of those things, he's in a place alongside the Lincoln Memorial, the American Flag, Arlington Cemetery, and so on. The writers showed their lack of comprehension of what Captain America is along with everyone that signed off on the story, or else they were showing their actual contempt for him and what he stands for (too many cynical 'there are no heroes' stories around from DC and Marvel not to accept that many writers are totally unsuited for writing super-heroes because they only have contempt for them).

Those that say 'grow up it's just a comic book' are showing their own contempt for Captain America and what he stands for, for which these same people surely toss fits over far pettier things like their sports team losing an important match or having their cable service interrupted because they're shallow, base creatures who can't stand symbols of inspiration because they're too weak and petty to try and rise above what they are.

-- Peter David

June 01, 2016 08:33AM
Just from a marketing scheme it makes me scratch my head to do this. With the latest Cap movie being simply amazing and hopefully luring more people to check out the comic they give us a very confused version of the character. Just annoying.
June 02, 2016 04:22AM
While I am not easily offended, this has done it. Cap is more than a comic character. He represents everything America can and should be. He was the first opportunity for American Jews to strike back at the oppressors who had driven them from Europe. Eleven million people died because of Nazi aggression. Eleven million people whose sacrifice is being crapped on by Marvel. This is a big one for me, but I want to see these pissant progressive liberal Marvel "creators" suffer the way six million Jews suffered. I want them to have their worlds taken away. I want them to be stripped of everything they worked for, to lose all rights and dignity, to be starved and forced into slave labor, to watch as their lives and everything they love is destroyed, and then maybe they'll understand just what they're shitting on when they turn Cap into a Nazi. I don't care that it will be retconned away eventually. I care that Marvel is so flippant about genocide that they greenlighted this pile of crap in the first place.
June 02, 2016 04:40AM
SunWuKong Wrote:
> Not an Amreican but still think this stinks!

It more than stinks. Although Captain America A.K.A. Steve Rogers is a fictional character, he was perhaps the greatest superhero ever in terms of moral code, and leadership.

If he were real, he'd be on the scale of the greats in our history.

Now he's a Nazi or Hydra? This would be like saying Martin Luther King or Mother Teresa were actually bad people with the worst possible agendas.

I do not read comic books anymore, but I sincerely hope there's a huge backlash, with a puppet Master or mind control like device that has taken over or re-written Steve Rodgers moral code.

And on Captian Amercian being gay...just don't.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
June 02, 2016 05:59AM
People are missing the incredible potential for humor with this: He continually thwarts evil and saves the day, continually advances freedom and justice, he is a shining beacon for millions and a role model for the human race.... and he is the worst Hydra agent EVER.

"I must help Zemo, before it's to late. My shield! NO! It accidentally struck him and now he has fallen in to that boiling vat of Adhesive X. This is almost as bad as the time I accidentally punched out the Fuhrer...and the Red Skull...and the Hate Monger, who was actually still Hitler (I didn't get the note), and the Red Skull at least 30 more times. These swine think I am the best fighter in the world... but I am the worst. Even the Cosmic Cube cannot erase my remorse. The shame."

And they said no Skrulls, time travel or alternate timelines. So how are they getting out of this one?

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.
June 02, 2016 06:07AM
Kevin Smith liked it

and so does Stan Lee.

June 02, 2016 06:36AM
Kevin Smith hasn't mattered since the first Clerks movie and Stan Lee has built a career of profiting from Kirby's work. Why should I care about what they like?
June 02, 2016 10:21AM
bayke Wrote:
> Kevin Smith hasn't mattered since the first Clerks
> movie and Stan Lee has built a career of profiting
> from Kirby's work. Why should I care about what
> they like?

Exactly. I don't care what other people may like about it. I'm concerned with how much I hate it, as well as how many other people hate it also. And I really hope Marvel has to start worrying about how many people hate it too.

June 02, 2016 03:53PM
sold out, second pressing coming with 3 variant covers and $millions in free advertising in the form of news stories in mainstream media.

winning. totally call that winning.

Heaven forbid Marvel puts out a story arc that sells comic books.

a lot of somebodies like it

FTJ
June 02, 2016 05:02PM
"Shaking things up" sacrifices long-term gains for short-term gains. Marvel and DC are now operating on the premise that that's okay because they can just "shake things up" every year. I have to believe that sooner or later, that bubble will burst.

I miss Gene.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 6
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.