Ugly Girl Hero---- maybe?

Posted by ajax plunkett 
Ugly Girl Hero---- maybe?
April 04, 2010 05:29AM
Who could be considered the least attractive ( or even ugly ) Female ' MAINSTREAM ' comic book hero in comics?????

Most female heroes are very attractive or beautiful. Is there a plain girl/woman hero???

if so who is it, or they?
Re: Ugly Girl Hero---- maybe?
April 04, 2010 10:50AM
Ms Marvel (She-Thing)
Volcanna
Cant remember her name off hand but the lizard girl from the initative
The fat lady from Greatlake avengers except her nonpowered form is a super model.
there are not many and i think Ms Marvel might have been one of the few to be in a major comic when she was part of the FF. but even characters animal chacaters like wolfsbane or tigra are shown having sexy figures and robots built to look femail are made with sexy figures
April 04, 2010 11:18AM
Callisto has occasionally worked with the X-Men and been hero-ish.
April 04, 2010 06:11PM
Marrow was probably one of the least attractive although they started to pretty her up once she was more on the heroic side and less the bitter confrontational bitch she was started as. DC just about has a policy that all female heroes have to be attractive, you can tell a female character is evil (and male too) just by looking. If ugly they must be evil or will become evil. That point was lampshaded in the JLA/Avengers crossover when Batman makes a disparaging comment about Ben Grimm's appearance after he left a cross-dimensional vehicle for Batman and Captain America to use and Captain America replied that just because their heroes weren't running around looking like shiny gods like Batman's didn't make Grimm anything less than the brave hero that he was.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 04, 2010 06:45PM
Strata from L.E.G.I.O.N.

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
April 05, 2010 05:25AM
I think that there are examples of ugly girl heroes, but with the 'Mainstream' caveat, you'll be hard pressed. Folks like Marrow, She-Thing, etc. only last but so long in the Mainstream before being sent back to the bench. I just think the audience loses interest too quickly when the premise of the setting is a sort of idealized place to begin with. And when you have two women on a page, She Thing and Invisible Woman, one's definately easier to look at than the other, and as such has a leg up on holding audience interest.
Retro Bump --- topic
September 22, 2023 01:52AM
Still not very many in comics but there are more plain janes now then 15+ years ago
Re: Retro Bump --- topic
September 24, 2023 05:51AM
The main problem isn't the looks of the hero. Let's be honest, how many "plain joe" heroes are there? Not many human-looking male heroes that didn't step off the cover of GQ

The problem with female heroes in comics is they usually fall into 2 categories: female companion to a male hero, or feminist girl-power hero (ie anything the male hero can do I can do better)

We don't get real women heroes. We don't get the woman that maintains a day job, has a husband at home, and heads out to fight crime at night. Or the female trust-fund kid that loses her parents in a tragic accident and develops skills/powers instead of a drug habit and becomes the world's greatest detective.

Instead we get "female fighter pilot and former girlfriend of an intergalactic space hero that develops powers and spends her days proving that girl heroes are just as good as male heroes" or "cousin of the hulk that spends her days proving the comic industry is male-driven and that just because she's attractive doesn't mean she's not smart"

OR we get Squirrel Girl that gets date raped by who=knows-how-old Wolverine and even though she defeats Thanos is relegated to the c-squad.

Then there's Jessica Jones....was a good comic, then turned into a party girl with an alcohol problem tries to one-up all the male heroes

Imagine if male heroes went around trying to prove how much better they were than the female heroes "to put them in their place"...oh wait, that's the Golden Age of comics....

How about reality. How about a teen girl that develops invisibility and spends time trying to break into the boys(or girls, to each their own) locker room to see naked people? How about she screws up and shoplifts and gets caught by an older hero that mentors her and she becomes a stand-alone hero worthy of a title while also trying to go school and get a degree instead of becoming a drunk like every other powerful female hero seems to.

Skin Deep
September 24, 2023 06:28AM
This topic , as it was intended is only skin deep- no blame.

So I would say the character Faith Herbert

[en.wikipedia.org]

As more Anti- pa·tri·arch·y writers and soapbox stand in characters are introduced you definitely see Overtly plain looking characters.

The Genre plays a key role in this too. Superhero Genre you see more now then in the past but in a -Wish fulfilment or Power Fantasy genre those tropes abound so there's that.

But in a comic set in a " realistic " world about ordinary people - it would seem out of place for everyone to be Smoking Hot.

And as someone said early ( years ago from this old topic??? ) the artists play a role -- Image comics had even working jobby job women look like models - the artists admitted it was easier to draw Symetrical faces that lend itself to attractivness

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 29
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.