Morbius vs the Montesi Formula

Posted by Direwolf2k 
Morbius vs the Montesi Formula
December 30, 2020 10:59AM
If the Montesi Formula wiped out all Bio-vampires, how was Morbius spared; or Bloodscream for that matter? Was anyone else, and if so, why?
Re: Morbius vs the Montesi Formula
December 30, 2020 01:52PM
Two explanations.

1: Morbius wasn't a true Vampire. He was created via science rather than occult magic therefore he was exempt.

2: I'm not sure what the timeline of the comics was, but I know there was a period in the 80s where Morbius was cured of vampirism, if the Montessi Formula was cast during that time that would be another explanation.

As for Bloodscream, I have no idea. I know Hannibal King survived because he never fed on living humans.
December 31, 2020 05:41PM
Direwolf2k
If the Montesi Formula wiped out all Bio-vampires, how was Morbius spared; or Bloodscream for that matter? Was anyone else, and if so, why?

1. Morbius was not a true vampire and thus, was immune to the Montesi Formula.

2. Bloodscream is probably not a true vampire as he gained his powers via a magic spell cast by Dagoo.

3. Hannibal King survived because he had never fed on human blood and Dr. Strange had exorcised his vampire half and treated him with many blood transfusions.

4. Blade survived because being "half vampire" was not enough for the Montesi Formula to target him.

5. Dr. Stranges' brother Victor did survive the Montesi Formula as he was in a state of suspended animation ever since he had been infected with vampirism. I chalk this one up to poor writing and a continuity error. It is theorized that Victor emerging from suspended animation and becoming a vampire may have been the event that caused the Montesi Formula to begin to fail.

6. The Montesi Formula came to a definitive end when Maria Laveau resurrected Varnae, First Lord of the Vampires. After Varnaes' resurrection vampires began to reappear in greater numbers until finally, even Dracula made his return.

See my fan products, M2 The Darkhold and M5 Tomb of Dracula, I go into detail about the history of the vampires and the Darkhold, including the Montesi Formula and the centuries long conflict of why Varnae and Dracula both sought the Darkhold for millennia untold.

One world of adventure is never enough.
January 01, 2021 05:39PM
Necromancer
Direwolf2k

2. Bloodscream is probably not a true vampire as he gained his powers via a magic spell cast by Dagoo.

3. Hannibal King survived because he had never fed on human blood and Dr. Strange had exorcised his vampire half and treated him with many blood transfusions.

4. Blade survived because being "half vampire" was not enough for the Montesi Formula to target him.

5. Dr. Stranges' brother Victor did survive the Montesi Formula as he was in a state of suspended animation ever since he had been infected with vampirism. I chalk this one up to poor writing and a continuity error. It is theorized that Victor emerging from suspended animation and becoming a vampire may have been the event that caused the Montesi Formula to begin to fail.

6. The Montesi Formula came to a definitive end when Maria Laveau resurrected Varnae, First Lord of the Vampires. After Varnaes' resurrection vampires began to reappear in greater numbers until finally, even Dracula made his return.

See my fan products, M2 The Darkhold and M5 Tomb of Dracula, I go into detail about the history of the vampires and the Darkhold, including the Montesi Formula and the centuries long conflict of why Varnae and Dracula both sought the Darkhold for millennia untold.

So does all of this mean Lillith was also immune? She's a cursed half-vampire, after all, sort of like Hannibal KIng, Blade and Bloodscream all in one.
And I suppose then that if someone rolls up a character with Bio-vampirism, they should be fine then...
January 01, 2021 07:16PM
Direwolf2k
Necromancer
Direwolf2k

So does all of this mean Lillith was also immune? She's a cursed half-vampire, after all, sort of like Hannibal KIng, Blade and Bloodscream all in one.
And I suppose then that if someone rolls up a character with Bio-vampirism, they should be fine then...

Lilith Drake succumbed to the Montesi Formula, but while she was physically dead her spirit returned and temporarily possessed Shadowcat.

One world of adventure is never enough.
January 03, 2021 03:43AM
Direwolf2k

My two cents for what they're worth - I never felt compelled to follow the mainstream Marvel Universe when running this game as a regular campaign. This is a RPG and therefore your interpretation of the MU. I pick and choose my elements of what's happened and what hasn't according to what I like - or do not. For instance, SHIELD is still in its former glory with Nick Fury at the helm in my version of the MU. This has the added bonus of keeping your players off-balance and not being able to "metagame" with their knowledge benefiting their character's.

I find having vampires around to be interesting, and allows for more stories to be created - so, no Montesi Formula in my MU. Feel free to follow suit, if that's your taste. If a player wanted a vampire character, or one with some vampiric abilities/background, that's OK too. It'd make for some interesting situations where the player would have to make some Karma earning/losing choices. Ah, drama.

Of course, if you really wanted to keep to the mainstream, you could always come up with some exception or excuse which bypasses the Montesi Formula and allows that character to exist. This is, after all, a comic book universe...
January 03, 2021 07:23AM
Direwolf2k
Necromancer
Direwolf2k

Just because one is a bio-vampire does not mean that they're a classic vampire (i.e. an undead). Unless the player explicitly says 'my bio-vampire character is a classic vampire with perks' then they aren't. Morbius for example is a super-human and still very much alive who has to feed on blood to survive, he's not a mystical creature cursed with undeath. He has no problems with mirrors and the like (any issues with garlic are actually biological in nature not supernatural) and his issues with sunlight are a legitimate medical condition humans can have and may contribute to the original vampire legends.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 32
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.