Marvel Multiverse RPG - coming 2022

Posted by Maniacles 
Marvel Multiverse RPG - coming 2022
June 05, 2021 05:25AM
So, it has been announced that there will be a new Marvel tabletop rpg, due to come out in 2022. Of interest is the system's basic character stats, which are:

Might
Agility
Resilience
Vigilance
Ego
Logic

Read the news here:
Marvel Multiverse RPG announcement

"It's 'Maniacles'...like 'maniacal' and 'Hercules' randomly and gleefully mashed together."
Re: Marvel Multiverse RPG - coming 2022
June 05, 2021 06:17AM
June 07, 2021 10:01AM
Given the attribute names, FASERIP conversions should be easier. Might have a good one on ours hands. I'm hopeful!
things you don't want in new game?
June 17, 2021 02:57PM
what are some things the new game will have or do that would be a big TURN OFF to playing the game past one session ?
Re: things you don't want in new game?
June 18, 2021 03:09AM
G.A.W.
what are some things the new game will have or do that would be a big TURN OFF to playing the game past one session ?

Well, right out of the gate, I question why in the H*ll would they choose to try and sell/profit from a set of playtest rules instead of recruiting play testers from the RPG and comic communities to help develop the game? I think Marvel's greed is showing with their first announcement.

Other deal breakers would include things such as publisher only dice and game aids required to play the game, such as the Genesys system, where all the standard dice had the numerals replaced with symbols, making it very difficult to interpret dice rolls without constantly referring to the manuals.

Another deal breaker is that the game is going to have to be high quality to sell. Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game by TSR is going to be one tough nut to surpass. To date, the only Supers game that has really challenged MSH was the Champions/Hero system.

Another deal breaker would be if it's Dungeons & Dragons 5E in disguise, I despise that rule set and nearly every rule set Wizards of the Coast has published to date after TSR's demise.

Given Marvel's previous track record with RPG games without TSR or Margaret Weiss developing the system does not really instill myself with much hope or confidence for anything that they may produce, despite the fact they have tapped Matt Forbeck to develop the project.

Beyond those issues, the biggest caveat is that Super games have never sold well, having one of the smallest markets in the RPG field compared to juggernauts such as D&D and Call of Cthulhu. I suspect that the game will launch, Marvel will haphazardly produce 2-3 products to try and support the line, then cancel it as everything they did previously.

Now despite all this negativity, I actually have high hopes that the Multiverse game will be high quality and successful, but Marvel's past history thus far does not really inspire any confidence that this will be the case.

Here is what Matt Forbeck has to say thus far: Matt Forbeck discusses

One world of adventure is never enough.
Re: things you don't want in new game?
August 11, 2021 03:11PM
Probably one of the first things we'll do is reverse engineer it to convert stats to FASERIP lol

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
April 16, 2022 04:01AM
So, the Playtest is out, and based on bits and pieces of what's been teased...

Yeah, I'd rather stick to good old FASERIP.
April 19, 2022 03:09PM
Got my copy of the play test rules today. Yes, FASERIP is easier to pick up and play, but the mechanics of the new game aren't really complex either. Seems similar to d20 Dungeons and Dragons, probably intentionally so. It's missing a economics / Resources / building stuff mechanic for gadgeteers...

May 07, 2022 01:09PM
Dead Sidekick
Got my copy of the play test rules today. Yes, FASERIP is easier to pick up and play, but the mechanics of the new game aren't really complex either. Seems similar to d20 Dungeons and Dragons, probably intentionally so. It's missing a economics / Resources / building stuff mechanic for gadgeteers...

What do you think? I'm vaguely interested in it. It's a 3D6 system, right? Does the HP scale like D&D too?
May 12, 2022 10:56PM
It's a quirky 3d6 system, and play test rules as written have a flaw that might start fist fights (or at least heated arguments) at your table... The game narrator can rob you of what would have been critical success rolls by adding "trouble" to a system that already sets challenges and difficulty levels. That will probably get booed and tomatoed out by the negative feedback from play testers.

Another absurdity is powers are like feats in D&D 3.5. Which is a interesting approach, but then things that should be covered by ability scores like superhuman strength are "powers" instead. Spider-Man's "wisecracking" personality... is a power... that does psychic damage. Spidey can potentially demoralize Captain America into needing counseling by making fun of him. Not a fan of that.

It's salvageable, but there's a lot of stuff that frankly should have be aborted before it was published. Hopefully the official core rules are revamped away from the silly. Adamantium isn't much more durable than reinforced concrete. Argh. Dude, did Marvel really publish this?

The "powers" are slim pickings, limited to those possessed by the Marvel characters included in the play test. The above mentioned D&D feat-like power progression and prerequisite flowcharts are going to require an Ultimate Powers Book type comprehensiveness that will require a lot of trees to be killed...pages and page of what one power at higher levels of experience can do, per power. Along with things that shouldn't be powers in our FASERIP-oriented minds (like Spidey's wisecracks)

I hate to pan this, but if /.when play testers rethink and revise this thing, I don't think there will be much Matt Forbeck left in it. If the revision process makes it less bleeeeh.

FASERIP is safe, this ain't replacing it. It could, but doesn't.

May 15, 2022 06:11AM
Dead Sidekick
Another absurdity is powers are like feats in D&D 3.5. Which is a interesting approach, but then things that should be covered by ability scores like superhuman strength are "powers" instead. Spider-Man's "wisecracking" personality... is a power... that does psychic damage. Spidey can potentially demoralize Captain America into needing counseling by making fun of him.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
May 15, 2022 07:24PM
The biggest complaints I've heard are about Rank and the Archetype advancement Tables.

For the Archetypes, I hear basically that advancement is borked. I don't know how exactly though, hard to remember all the details of the arguments...

As for Rank... it not only seems to indicate your character's level of experience, but also just how much area of responsibility they have. Our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man usually stick to guarding New York, so he's set about Rank 10. Meanwhile, Captain America is usually called to take care of international problems and big Avenger-y stuff, so he's Rank 15.

The problem is that, supposedly, based on how Rank works in the games and despite their abilities, a Rank 10 character (even one with Spidey's powers) has no chance of beating a Rank 15 character ever.

At least, those are the problems I've heard. There are many more nitpicks about it, but I can't remember them all right now, and have yet to actually read the playtest in great detail myself.
May 17, 2022 06:20AM
Maniacles
As for Rank... it not only seems to indicate your character's level of experience, but also just how much area of responsibility they have. Our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man usually stick to guarding New York, so he's set about Rank 10. Meanwhile, Captain America is usually called to take care of international problems and big Avenger-y stuff, so he's Rank 15.

The problem is that, supposedly, based on how Rank works in the games and despite their abilities, a Rank 10 character (even one with Spidey's powers) has no chance of beating a Rank 15 character ever.
So all one has to do is accept that invite to join the Avengers to get bumped up in power, right?

Based on that, I presume that the Fantastic Four --who get involved in cosmic affairs-- are even higher rank, and thus even more powerful.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
June 03, 2022 05:40AM
How playable is it if you ignore all of the weird bits, like if you did a whole new superhero universe that didn't align with Marvel, would it be fun? To be honest, it sounds really awful, but I'm not sure. I was thinking about playing it/getting it, but now, I'm not so sure. I imagine the playtest will have to gut the whole thing from the sound of it and make it bland to make it playable.
June 03, 2022 06:10PM
July 10, 2022 05:23AM
I been watching or reading reviews, most are ok with it, but there more negative than positive at the sneak peak. I know they want the player to buy then give a review, no, you pay me to get a review. Unless i get the Game free when the final product comes out.

So i most likely won't buy it?
Why? I got FASERIP. I have fun enjoy it, Don't need the latest gadget. Like 5e D&D, it may be water down, or as many say "Wokism" Edition.
July 11, 2022 05:41AM
I read more about it and it seems like it's also a mess. The playtest seems to need house rules to be functional is what I have heard about some parts.
July 29, 2022 06:23AM
November 18, 2022 04:40PM
I've looked through the new Multiversal/Marvel RPG system, and it seems to me that it's a cash cow to bring in players from D&D or Pathfinder. It's too many rolls, vague clarifications, and way, way, way overpowered powers....overpowered powers...that's funny.
I started playing the Marvel RPG in 1985, i'm STILL playing the system (albeit with house rules, expanded charts, stolen ideas from other games, etc) in 2022.
My best friend and i started our friendship over Marvel Comics and RPG's, we tried to play established characters that appear in the comics but settled on creating our own universe and characters in our own world and that has lasted to this day.....well, we had to reset the timeline in 2015 but we still play our own creations and i see no reason to stop now.
Cheers to those that play Marvel characters/worlds/ideas/etc, but that's just not my thing but this monster called Role-playing is all about creativity, imagination, and fun....did i mention fun?
December 27, 2022 04:11PM
I'm finding myself having negative ranks of interest in the new failure to surpass FASERIP.
January 02, 2023 04:24PM
My disinterest is Remarkable since I am FASERIP ride or die but I took a proper look.

It sucks.

And worse, it is a cynical attempt for the comic book side to try and get into the roleplaying game side without needing an established partner. Silly.

As for the actual rules, speaking as someone who published a 3d6 based game a couple years ago and wrote one of the first d20 books with super-powers as Feats for the SRD, this effort by Marvel is really clumsy, irritating and quite toxic in terms of encouraging players.

I also asked a friend who games with his whole family (little kids, big kids, wife, couple friends) to try it out.

They lasted less than an hour before it was back to FASERIP with heroclix as the minis.

It's good to challenge oneself, even when a system you've embraced has already stood the test for decades, but this latest offering is not even finished enough to be properly reviewable, let alone a contender to knock FASERIP off its perch. This especially now that there are actually more and more FASERIP adopters under the OGL and public domain 4C rules. If only 4C hadn't done that boneheaded "00" means zero not "100" thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 18
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.