Basic Game; Expert Chart.

Basic Game; Expert Chart.
July 19, 2021 10:50AM
So, what do you guys think ...

I love the layout, style, and simplicity of the Basic Rules, but I also love the chart of the Expert Edition found at the Netbook/Enhancement section of the Resources/Download hosted above.

Clearly, the characters listed in Basic are not adjusted to the Expert Editions ranking system, but I think the Expert Chart would still work; albeit successes are a little harder to achieve, making for a grittier-style game. I see it as being very useful in regards to Column Shifts, Advancement, and Character Generation - with a little fiddling.

Am I off base in this thinking and a bastard GM or am I on to something ...?

... Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash.
Re: Basic Game; Expert Chart.
July 21, 2021 09:10PM
I think it's easier to "add grit" / be a bastard GM (lol) by piling on the appropriate difficulty column shift modifiers from the basic rules.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
July 23, 2021 05:31AM
Dead Sidekick
I think it's easier to "add grit" / be a bastard GM (lol) by piling on the appropriate difficulty column shift modifiers from the basic rules.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the expanded ranks because I see them as an unnecessary addition when the GM already has the tools to make things tougher (or easier) on players.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 24, 2021 01:14PM
I've contemplated using the Expert ranks, but I feel they were added in the wrong spot.

I think there needs to be more of a separation at lower ranks, not between AM - UN.

For instance, Strength levels jump from 1 ton -> 10 tons -> 50 tons -> 75 tons -> 100 tons.

With the expert ranks it's 1 ton -> 10 tons -> 25 tons -> 50 tons -> 60 tons -> 80 tons -> 90 tons -> 100 tons

The expert ranks go against the "doubling" pattern established in the base game. I'd much rather have a rank between RM and IN so Strength can go 1 ton -> 2-3 tons -> 10 tons, and then a rank between IN and AM for 10 tons -> 25-35 tons -> 50 tons

EDIT: forgot about these alternate ranks

July 25, 2021 06:47AM
I like the cut of yer jib, Barna.
Sometimes it seems there's not enough distinction, and other times the abstraction is the best, simplest approach to things.

I also like the input given thus far. Oftentimes you find yourself bouncing of the walls of your own brain-box ... not exactly seeing things clearly.

Dr. A.

... Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash.
July 25, 2021 08:38PM
My homebrew Universal Chart (see sig) has negative rank columns on down to where even rolling 100 would be a miss eye popping smiley

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
July 26, 2021 02:12AM
Gotta agree with Thrudjelmer and Dead Sidekick:: the chart works fine as is.
July 31, 2021 11:06AM
Dead Sidekick
My homebrew Universal Chart (see sig) has negative rank columns on down to where even rolling 100 would be a miss eye popping smiley
I do something similar in my homebrew without actually changing the chart. At Shift-0, if there are still negative column shift modifiers, they are applied to the color result of the roll. At Shift-0 with -3CS, the result will be shifted down to a White FEAT even on a roll of 100.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.