Initiative Variant

Posted by Descartes Demon 
Initiative Variant
October 04, 2021 12:55PM
I've always been a little uncomfortable with the concept of Initiative in the rules-as-written - winning side takes all their actions while losing side stands still then losing side (assuming anyone is left standing) goes while winning side stands still. Granted the losing side can be Dodging, Blocking, etc.

It's usually been my experience that the players almost always win the Initiative roll. This can make for some extremely short adventures when the PCs splatter the opposition early in the game on the first round of combat. Conversely, if the PCs lose the Initiative, they, too face the prospect of being over-run themselves.

As a possible variant, I'm looking to the system used in A Song of Ice & Fire RPG, which I've run for the last 6 years. In this version, each PC and major NPC rolls for Initiative separately. Groups of thugs or creatures roll one Initiative regardless of how many of them there are. Individual "Initiative" cards are kept for each and arranged by die roll - highest first (ties are resolved by who has the higher Agility - if the same, roll a d10). When your card comes up, you act - or Hold if you choose.

Your thoughts?
Re: Initiative Variant
October 06, 2021 03:00PM
I've always preferred individual initiatives.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 08, 2021 05:51PM
I agree.

I suppose group or side initiative could be used if the leader of the team had LEADERSHIP talent and used his intuition and leadership bonus.
October 09, 2021 04:59AM
Another one for individual initiative. Although using a group initiative to represent leadership is interesting.

Are you familiar with Battletech? In that game there is a system for group initiative might work here. Each side rolls initiative with the applicable bonuses. Then each side moves one unit, starting with the losing side. so:

1)Roll initiative
2)losing side moves one unit
3)winning side moves one unit
4)repeat steps 2 & 3 untill no units are left

The idea behind this systemis that actions are all simultaneous, but the winning side has the advantage of being able to react to the losing side, in a limited fashion.
October 11, 2021 05:23PM
I am also suddenly in love with the idea of Leadership and team initiative.

Anything that makes the Leadership more useful than just "form a karma pool and gain extra 50 Karma."

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 14, 2021 02:15PM
Cool.

Been using side ( or group ) initiative for D&D , just makes combats go quicker. I like how it divides the combat round mentally.
December 20, 2021 04:22AM
I do individual initiatives and have everyone declare actions. Then higher initiatives can roll to alter their declared actions to pre-empt lower initiatives as necessary in combat.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 25
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.