Karnak

Posted by Taarna 
Karnak
March 09, 2022 03:56AM
Hello all, first post in a while. A seldom used but rather powerful hero he is.

A martial arts character with the best stuff and power level super human strength. What do others think about this seldom used character?

Karnak

F) Am50
A) Ex20
S) Rm30
E) Rm30
R) Gd10
I) Am50
P) Ex20

Health: 130 Karma: 60
Resources: Ex Pop: 6/90 (Inhumans)

Known Powers:
Martial Arts Supremacy: Am
Weakness Detection: Gd ability to detect the weakest points in bodies and structures. this gives him the following power stunts:
-Super Strike: after studying the target for 1 turn, he inflicts Un damage if he makes a Psyche FEAT roll.
-Ignore Resistance: He may slam or stun opponents whose Endurance is greater than his strength. He may even totally ignore the effects of armor, resistance, or invulnerability of he makes a Psyche FEAT roll.
Iron Will: Am control over his own body. He can control his body's autonomic functions of breathing, reflexes, and heart beat, and even its reaction to pain and injury. Karnak can halt any of the processes indefinitely. He gains a +1cs in all Endurance FEATs involving poisons or knockout gasses.

Equipment:
None

Talents: Philosopher, Scholar: (Martial Arts), Martial Arts A, D, E, Wrestling, Acrobatics

Contacts: Inhumans, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Imperial Guard

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
Re: Karnak
March 09, 2022 08:54PM
I’ve always liked Karnak. Along with Ransak the Reject and Lockjaw they are my favourite Inhumans.
March 10, 2022 06:54AM
I like Karnak, but his Ignore Resistance power under Weakness Detection seems just somewhat useful as you have it presented.

• It allows him to Stun and Slam opponents whose Endurance are greater than his strength.
    • Redundant. He possesses Martial Arts A, and that talent does the very same thing. So nothing is added here.
  • He may even totally ignore the effects of armor, resistance, or invulnerability of he makes a Psyche FEAT roll.
    • Very similar to the Martial Arts D talent, which if I recall correctly requires 2 turns of study of an opponent before it can be used... and then allows the user to Stun and Slam opponents whose armor protection is greater than the attacker's strength (but can't deal damage).
    • In this case, the power makes the Martial Arts D Talent unnecessary and wasted... although a good backup I suppose if he's unable to use his powers for whatever reason. But being able to ignore the protective armoring or invulnerability of an opponent with a successful Psyche FEAT (41 or higher for a Green FEAT) means that "D" generally isn't needed. Especially when... see next point.
    • Additionally, the Super Strike power --which can be used after only 1 turn of study-- can deal Unearthly damage if he makes a successful Psyche FEAT, which is enough to overcome most beings' protective powers/equipment.

After 2 turns of combat, Karnak can deliver crippling blows with a successful attack roll (Fighting FEAT) and two Psyche FEATs. Ignore protection and deal 100 points of damage... really, Martial Arts A&D end up being needed for those times when he fails his Psyche FEAT rolls to gain the higher damage and ignore resistance. He is a beast of a glass cannon.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 26, 2022 02:20PM
Thrudjelmer
I like Karnak, but his Ignore Resistance power under Weakness Detection seems just somewhat useful as you have it presented.

• It allows him to Stun and Slam opponents whose Endurance are greater than his strength.
    • Redundant. He possesses Martial Arts A, and that talent does the very same thing. So nothing is added here.
  • He may even totally ignore the effects of armor, resistance, or invulnerability of he makes a Psyche FEAT roll.
    • Very similar to the Martial Arts D talent, which if I recall correctly requires 2 turns of study of an opponent before it can be used... and then allows the user to Stun and Slam opponents whose armor protection is greater than the attacker's strength (but can't deal damage).
    • In this case, the power makes the Martial Arts D Talent unnecessary and wasted... although a good backup I suppose if he's unable to use his powers for whatever reason. But being able to ignore the protective armoring or invulnerability of an opponent with a successful Psyche FEAT (41 or higher for a Green FEAT) means that "D" generally isn't needed. Especially when... see next point.
    • Additionally, the Super Strike power --which can be used after only 1 turn of study-- can deal Unearthly damage if he makes a successful Psyche FEAT, which is enough to overcome most beings' protective powers/equipment.

After 2 turns of combat, Karnak can deliver crippling blows with a successful attack roll (Fighting FEAT) and two Psyche FEATs. Ignore protection and deal 100 points of damage... really, Martial Arts A&D end up being needed for those times when he fails his Psyche FEAT rolls to gain the higher damage and ignore resistance. He is a beast of a glass cannon.

I don't view him as a glass cannon type. His health is too high. ( 130 ) He's got good amount of karma too ( 80 ). A grade B character who can hang with heavyweights like Thor, Thing, Iron Man, etc.. I don't think I seen him lose a fight due to his wisdom. The best martial arts character.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
March 28, 2022 07:26AM
Taarna
The best martial arts character.
In a fight between Karnak and Shang-Chi, I would bet on Shang-Chi every time.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
April 01, 2022 01:21PM
Karnnak vs Shang Che. In the game is Karrnak all the way. Karnak has a higher strength ( more danage ) ,ulimate skill, the weakness detection, and ultimate marial arts skill. Chi is a good character just a nomral human and not on that level. Note, they botched Karnak's karma score. It should be 80. Very high for any superhero.

April 20, 2022 11:36AM
Karnak vs. Shang Chi? In the game, Karnak all day long. Keep in mind Karnak can Evade FEAT the whole time he's studying Shang-Chi. Then put the whammy on Shang-Chi with Evasion bonuses on top to make the whoop ass sauce all frothy.

From my 126 schools of ass-whoopin...

112) Martial Arts A + D + E + Wrestling + Acrobatics
+1 to unarmed combat Initiative rolls
After studying opponent for 2 rounds, no damage from hits are necessary to cause Slam? or Stun? checks regardless of Strength vs. opponent's Endurance.
+2CS to Strength Grappling FEATs
+1CS to unarmed Fighting Evasion FEATs
+1CS to Agility Dodging FEATs
+1CS to Strength Escaping / Reversal FEATs

Karnak's always gonna be slamming or stunning whoever he fights. The whammy just shows he ain't playing.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
May 23, 2022 12:27PM
I always liked him back in the day; the inhumans would pop up every so often, and were a treat. Not really a fan of more recent inhumans stuff, but yeah, Karnak was always formidable, and not OP either, which is a good starting place!

a cool write up Taarna; very subtly tweaked from GHOTMU

Karnak vs Shang Chi? game depends on write up, but Karnak in most cases (but the dice are a fickle mistress!)

comics: draw or Karnak

more modern takes; well, Shang Chi might have the (mandarin's?) 10 rings, or any of variety of powers (or not): Stark tech, Pym particles, negative powers, or maybe even some magic...a toss up
July 10, 2022 05:27AM
Like the write up, I myself like the Inhumans, but never got much out of them game wise. The TV series was not properly formatted? Directed?
KArnak took a different approach as all Inhuman do and thus, I think they tried to do the Mutant Hysteria options, cause he looked different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 23
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.