Strength and damage

Posted by Taarna 
Strength and damage
April 17, 2022 09:30AM
My understanding is punch is causes power rank Amazing strength = 50 points of damage, but is this an accurate way to do things? Would it be better for Amazing strength to cause or better to cause a - 1cs in damage to 40 points of damage. Or Monstrous strength to cause 50 points? This would reflect the comics more accurately. Amazing strength even though is causes 40 points of damage still causes the power rank when it comes to body armor. What say you?

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
Re: Strength and damage
April 17, 2022 04:21PM
Taarna
My understanding is punch is causes power rank Amazing strength = 50 points of damage, but is this an accurate way to do things? Would it be better for Amazing strength to cause or better to cause a - 1cs in damage to 40 points of damage. Or Monstrous strength to cause 50 points? This would reflect the comics more accurately. Amazing strength even though is causes 40 points of damage still causes the power rank when it comes to body armor. What say you?

I believe it works fine as is.

As far as damage reduction the intelligent fighter would most likely use the block maneuver instead of relying on body armor.

The Thing versus the Hulk for example, Ben Grimm would be far more successful by blocking his adversary reducing damage taken as low as 25 points of damage per turn from the Hulk instead of relying on his body armor exclusively.

Heavy hitters benefit greatly from the strength vs strength option provided by the block maneuver. Thor and Hercules are prime candidates for using the block maneuver instead of relying on their EX (20) Body Armor.

One world of adventure is never enough.
May 01, 2022 07:55PM
I guess I sort of agree and wanted the cake and eat it too.

I will explain: for years we used a home-brew rule in which lets say SPIDERMAN Inc-40 strength punched a villain

a green result would be -1 CS to strength damage = 30 points for spider man.
a yellow result would be exact strength rank damage = 40 points for Spiderman
a red result +1 CS TO Strength for damage = 50 points

it tried to mimic examples of comic book fights when big hits go thru some armor and hurt opponent and glancing blows de deflected for zero damage.

Spiderman vs the beetle is a good example.

the worse the hit --- less damage
the better the hit ---- more damage

AND ITS BALANCED
May 07, 2022 01:38PM
I'm in favor of leaving things as written. One can always "pull your punch" under most circumstances or use the Block maneuver. There's also the "Roll with the Punch" option, if you prefer.
May 20, 2022 03:33PM
Taarna

I do not know...try some games & let us know how it goes? I'll note Monstrous gets gipped badly, typical or poor hardly at all (but are kinda irrelevant)

I've generally looked at body armor/defenses being more the problem area, but hey.

Descartes Demon
I'm in favor of leaving things as written. One can always "pull your punch" under most circumstances or use the Block maneuver. There's also the "Roll with the Punch" option, if you prefer.

I tend to agree, but to Taarna, the "roll with the punch" option might be a good fit, epseically if tweaked to apply a penalty on attack rolls for using it...where the heck is it found again? I swear I also recall it, but I could not find it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 29
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.