"Clones are people too?"

Posted by the_hammer 
"Clones are people too?"
December 07, 2022 04:22AM
Hello all, my group recently finished up the lovely "X-Terminate" module (MSL-1) and one of the players introduced an interesting question-what to do with the unawakened clones of the original X-Men that you find in the labs prior to the big boss fight at the end of the module?

That lead the game into a whole different direction because the fates of the unborn clones are pretty much left up in the air for all intents and purposes with one player suggesting that the unborn clones be allowed to be "born" but have a different set of memories installed into them so that they don't know anything other than having a normal life (so to speak because our game "world" is a unique one where Bruce Wayne runs SHIELD and Justice League International is the "International Avengers" team for two examples), and let things develop as however they should.

The really neat thing is that entire series of conversations about the clones happened all IC, which made things even more fun.

But my question is how did any/all of you handle that situation during your play through of the module? Did you actually let the active and/or unborn clones have their own go at life or what?

And also, is the player's suggestion viable-to give the unborn clones a chance to live separate and away from X-Factor?

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
Lúcio: I can’t even take you seriously right now.
Re: "Clones are people too?"
December 27, 2022 04:06PM
I did not play that module yet, however that is an interesting question.

I think it partly depends on the era in which the story is taking place. Different eras would respond differently. An earlier era might take social justice much more seriously and step up to the plate to foster all of the children to good homes. A more modern selfish generation and era might argue about who is going to pay for all of those kids, and who will take legal responsibility for all the damage they will cause as they grapple with both puberty and powers.

Sounds like the background plot leading up to a Sky High style high-school supers story arc with jaded old supers as the teachers and school staff and teenagers all determined to either be just like their erstwhile "parent" or nothing at all like them with all the angst that can be mustered.
January 02, 2023 04:32PM
"We ask merely a man's worth, not the accident of his condition"

If they're alive, let them live. They deserve the chance as anyone else.
January 31, 2023 10:30AM
If the clones have not been awakened (with memories or personality of their own), it could be argued that they aren't anything more than meat bags that look like the originals. However, once a clone is awakened it is "born," so whether it's a good copy of the original or has developed its own personality (Madeline Pryor), it's a living, thinking person and killing it or otherwise doing away with it would be murder. There might be some difficulties to overcome legally establishing an identical clone as a unique identity in the eyes of the law (social security number, etc).

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 02, 2023 12:39PM
Good thing Will Ryker isn't being asked that question he'd snuff them in a heartbeat.

Clones in the end are just artificially created twins of people, especially when you consider clones with the memories of the original it would totally be murder to kill them even if they haven't been decanted yet. They deserve the chance to live just like anyone else (and I really never cared for the brain bomb deal as it was clearly the writer of the module not wanting to deal with having the clones live by railroading things with an 'oh yeah they all die at the end without exception' deal).

Give them the chance to live and have their own identities, make decisions that the originals were denied for example.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
March 04, 2023 09:25PM
Clones have no legal standing as it were, unless you implemented something to a degree.
However, I agree with the others, once born or aware they are living beings.

It can be used as an origin for player characters with altered memories,
could be used for serial Immortality for some nasty villains
Could be used for by Mephisto nefarious plot
Government steps in
AIM/Maggia/Evil group steals them
The opportunities are endless!!

Once power is down, if they are not cared for in some facility, they will rot away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 24
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.