Heir to Fortune question

Posted by nijineko 
Heir to Fortune question
February 18, 2023 07:26PM
I'm wondering if my copy has a typo or something?

Mine says that characters with resources of Excellent or below should not take the talent... but are those not exactly the characters who would want to take it?

What does your copy say?
Re: Heir to Fortune question
February 19, 2023 08:00AM
That's what I have too. I've always taken it to mean that the character gets put to Remarkable then you roll the modification from that and if you go below Remarkable, you can't take the talent.

Alternatively, I think you could count it as a +2CS to resources rank roll
March 01, 2023 04:20AM
Heir To Fortune seems to suffer from the bizarre reasoning idea that it only exists to explain why a character has Remarkable or higher for their Resource rank at start, that somehow a character would never inherit later in the game or that during random creation they could get a windfall of an inheritance to instantly raise their Resource rank to Remarkable or Incredible rank. So it's ridiculously overpriced and seems to just exist to waste talent slots better spent on other things like Business/Finance as it automatically ensures your Resource rank is at least Good AND you get that +1CS to Resource checks to boot plus it only costs one slot not two like Heir To Fortune.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
October 09, 2023 08:53AM
October 20, 2023 02:46PM
barna10
It is absolutely a waste of a talent. It does nothing for the character as written.

You really have to wonder what they were thinking. A Fixed Income/Inheritance talent seems more reasonable. It's not like there aren't regular payouts that many people get that are well below Remarkable rank in RL yet still give them a fixed income that they don't have to work for (heck Social Security for example is like that). So you could have a PC that has say a wealthy family background but a fixed allowance that sets them at Typical or Good Resource rank without having to work for it. But you generally can't work that in for the game, at least some games if the GM is overly rigid about interpreting things and insists that they need a talent for that but since the game has no talent for that then you're out of luck.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
November 17, 2023 04:54AM
barna10
It is absolutely a waste of a talent. It does nothing for the character as written.

For a super smart hero or hero with a battle suit option talent, or unique weapon this talent grants heroes that ability to have access to specialized equipment.

One has to be creative with it.

Think Batman, Iron Man, or Mister Fantastic.

Or if you are using a villain for example Doctor Doom.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
November 18, 2023 11:41AM
November 18, 2023 07:17PM
I'm sure it's been covered before but - what is the best & simple way to change as written the Heir to Fortune talent so it works well in game?
November 19, 2023 04:31PM
G.A.W.
I'm sure it's been covered before but - what is the best & simple way to change as written the Heir to Fortune talent so it works well in game?

Getting the Talent raises Resources to RM or +1CS to Resources if already RM or better.

December 10, 2023 05:01PM
barna10
G.A.W.

Getting the Talent raises Resources to RM or +1CS to Resources if already RM or better.

Seems like the best way for that, without the 'can only get at start of game' deal since there's no reason why I character couldn't get an inheritance later on. Heck we see that happen in Alpha Flight with Vindicator's wife, getting an inheritance from her family's side of things.

-- Peter David

February 01, 2024 02:30PM
I always put it at remarkable if someone rolled it. I mean, if we win the lottery now and we are barely making Good resources, guess what..
Lottery going to push it high!!
So heir to fortune?
Brewster Millions? ( yeah very old movie) Richard Pryor
February 01, 2024 02:42PM
side note: The Pryor film was the remake.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 33
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.