Humor Karma Awards

Posted by Surge 
Humor Karma Awards
May 01, 2008 01:32PM
Every time there is something so side splitting funny in a gaming session, we gotta write it down as being Karma worthy. Do you have any examples of Humor Karma? Here's a couple of gems from old sessions:

Wolverine and Angel are together on a rooftop, doing surveillance on another building. Logan notices that Worhtington has no binoculars.
Wolverine: Can you trust your eyes there, flyboy?
Angel: Sure. See that mouse down there?
Wolverine: (looking) What mouse?
Angel: Down there. On the ground, next to that dandelion beneath that spigot. Next to the shed. That one, about two hundred yards away.
Wolverine: Well why don't you swoop over there and eat it?

Another was from our Shae the Vampire Slayer campaign. Spike confronts Shae at a drive-in movie. To truly appreciate this one, imagine it voiced by James Marsters in that droll Brit accent of his:
Spike: Ey, I paid to get in! All right, I didn't pay, I jumped over the fence. Tore me trousers. That's payment enough!

So, what have you got?

Karma Awards
May 01, 2008 04:59PM
Earning Karma is pretty significant for my Game Table as that’s how the Characters get MO-POWER and evolve…..

Players ‘LOVE’ to add Powers, Talents, Stunts and Upgrades to their Characters.

Most Karma Gains are done with a FEAT Roll on the ‘Combined Average’ of the RIP…..

(That’s why my Character Write-Ups also have an “L” Rank for “Luck”…. Karma / 3 = “Luck”)….

Only the GM rolls the Dice for the “Luck” Rank to determine how much Karma will be earned..

Blue: No Karma Earned.
White: 10% of “Luck” is Earned.
Green: 20% of “Luck” is Earned.
Yellow: 30% of “Luck” is Earned.
RED: 40% of “Luck” is Earned.
100 RED: 50% of “Luck” is Earned.

In situations where the Character (or the Player) realizes something the GM can make this Dice Roll for you.

Also if your Character can influence, charm, or other wise ‘Convince’ another Character take an intended course of action the GM can make this Dice Roll for you.

As an example: Wolverine and Colossus are busting up some Sentinels…. Wolverine tells Colossus to back out of the Fight and take a different course of Action….. Well Colossus wants to Fight and He knows Wolverine will get Jacked-Up BAD without his Help….

What is Colossus to Do????

A. Ignore Wolverine to Stay and Fight; And possibly save Wolverine’s Ass from the Sentinels…

B. Take Wolverine’s advice; get the hell out of dodge and pursue a different part of the Mission…

With “A” Colossus ‘may’ earn Karma ‘IF’ He manages to save Wolverine from emanate DOOM.

With “B” Colossus will earn some Karma based on his RIP Average (Luck)…. But this Karma can also be Lost if Wolverine gets all Jacked-Up by the Sentinels…..

Karma Gains like these only go to the Deciding Character….

The “Luck” Rank is used for lots of other stuff, but Only the GM Rolls it.

The Commanding Character will Lose or Gain Karma depending upon the Risk and Outcome of the Character ‘Convinced’ to take a certain course of action.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table

MOTÖRHEAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2008 05:02PM by TankerAce.
Re: Karma Awards
May 01, 2008 07:50PM
TankerAce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Earning Karma is pretty significant for my Game
> Table as that’s how the Characters get MO-POWER
> and evolve…..
>
> Players ‘LOVE’ to add Powers, Talents, Stunts
> and Upgrades to their Characters.
>
> Most Karma Gains are done with a FEAT Roll on the
> ‘Combined Average’ of the RIP…..
>
> (That’s why my Character Write-Ups also have an
> “L” Rank for “Luck”…. Karma / 3 =
> “Luck”)….
>
>
>
> Only the GM rolls the Dice for the “Luck” Rank
> to determine how much Karma will be earned..
>
> Blue: No Karma Earned.
> White: 10% of “Luck” is Earned.
> Green: 20% of “Luck” is Earned.
> Yellow: 30% of “Luck” is Earned.
> RED: 40% of “Luck” is Earned.
> 100 RED: 50% of “Luck” is Earned.
>
> In situations where the Character (or the Player)
> realizes something the GM can make this Dice Roll
> for you.
>
>
> Also if your Character can influence, charm, or
> other wise ‘Convince’ another Character take
> an intended course of action the GM can make this
> Dice Roll for you.
>
>
> As an example: Wolverine and Colossus are busting
> up some Sentinels…. Wolverine tells Colossus to
> back out of the Fight and take a different course
> of Action….. Well Colossus wants to Fight and He
> knows Wolverine will get Jacked-Up BAD without his
> Help….
>
> What is Colossus to Do????
>
> A. Ignore Wolverine to Stay and Fight; And
> possibly save Wolverine’s Ass from the
> Sentinels…
>
> B. Take Wolverine’s advice; get the hell out of
> dodge and pursue a different part of the
> Mission…
>
>
> With “A” Colossus ‘may’ earn Karma
> ‘IF’ He manages to save Wolverine from emanate
> DOOM.
>
> With “B” Colossus will earn some Karma based
> on his RIP Average (Luck)…. But this Karma can
> also be Lost if Wolverine gets all Jacked-Up by
> the Sentinels…..
>
>
> Karma Gains like these only go to the Deciding
> Character….
>
> The “Luck” Rank is used for lots of other
> stuff, but Only the GM Rolls it.
>
>
> The Commanding Character will Lose or Gain Karma
> depending upon the Risk and Outcome of the
> Character ‘Convinced’ to take a certain course
> of action.

Does all this require the use of your Expanded Universal Table and Result Grid? Don't get me wrong, yours is colorful and all, but just not for me.
But back on topic, isn't their already a humor karma award in the players book?
Re: Humor Karma Awards
May 01, 2008 09:15PM
Yes, Ragnarök, right beside the "Stump the Judge" award.
Re: Karma Awards
May 01, 2008 09:22PM
This whole thing is totally compatible with the old 4 Color Tables and Charts… It was all built off of those…

WHITE = None
GREEN = 25%
YELLOW = 50%
RED = 75%

For your “Luck” stat just take an Average of your RIP….

Only the GM uses the “Luck” Stat and its often reserved for ‘Critical’ situations….

There is blurb in the Judge’s hand book on Karma Awards for making people enjoy your presence.. Works sort of like Charisma or Charm…. But you only got like 2 or 3 points.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
Expanded MSH Table

MOTÖRHEAD
May 02, 2008 06:04AM
I posted this some time ago and its actually from D&D but its still funny.

My little brother is DM for the first time ever and I am of course playing a mage.

bro: you open the door to see a pitch black space on, the other side, not even your torches shine any light into the room.
me: I tap around with my staff to spring any traps
bro: you feel nothing
meyawning smiley I step inside
bro (with a wierd look on his face): you sure
me: yes, I felt around with my staff and made sure that any obvious traps were sprung and you said "you feel nothing", so I walk in
bro (with an almost scared look on his face): yeah you feel nothing
me (getting a little sick of going round and round about walking into a room): yes I felt no traps, so I walk in dammit
bro (realizing what is about to happen and what I will do to him when it does): are you sure?
me (full on mad about it now): YES! I walk into the room!
bro (getting up and preparing to run): you...umm...take a step into the room and realize there is no floor, a few minutes of falling ends with you going splat on the bottom of the shaft.
me: .....
(insert: the table is overturned as I pummel on my little brother for my own stupidity as everyone cries they are laughing so hard)

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 02, 2008 09:11AM
Grr! AArgh! Killer DM! "You feel nothing"? How rude. That's a justifiable smackdown, there. This is more of what I was looking for, those great little scenarios and one liners that give you an instant 5 karma just for making everyone laugh so hard soda squirts out of their nose.

Another scenario comes to mind, one that still gets us laughing.

Scene: the X-ranch in Arizona. Sapphire, Magical Cat Girl, and Siryn are sitting around the kitchen table, comisserating the fact that Emma Frost, their self-appointed guardian, was coming for another visit.

Siryn: Why does that woman think we'll just roll out the red carpet for one 'a her visits?

Sapphire: It's like she adopted us. Now she won't leave us alone.

Siryn: Well, maybe it's time to put our foot down, an' ask her to go!

Magical Cat Girl: Maybe I could make it a habit to teleport in and burp in her face all the time!

Sapphire: She'll be gone in a day!

Later, that same day, after some girl talk and some fudgesickles:

Ace (on tannoy): Dudes, Miss Frost just drove in.

Magical Cat Girl: What?! Gimme that Mountain Dew!

MCG then proceeds to chug the entire 2 liter bottle

Magical Cat Girl (wiping her mouth): Ooh! Deviled eggs!

MCG then proceeds to stuff her face with half a dozen deviled eggs as though she were Kobiyashi in an eating contest.

The scene shifts: Warpath is helping Ms. Frost get her voluminous bags out of her car upstairs.

Frost: Thank you, James, darling. Oh, but this place is absolutely horrendous. Seriously, I think Gwen should be able to afford a gardener...

There is a shower of stars as MCG teleports 1 foot in front of Frost. She lets out a tremendous belch that blows Emma's hair back cartoon fashion. MCG then teleports away in another burst of stars.

Frost (fanning the air in front of her face): Well, I never!

Truly, a thing of beauty is a joy forever. I'm cracking up even as I write this.

May 02, 2008 10:00AM
Yes. Karma awards for making others laugh. I think that should be considered in every campaighn. The problem is, in a play by post, I don't know if I have ever made anyone I am currently gaming with actually laugh. I do, however, think I am hillarious.

Mark

> I'm the third or fourth best at what I do, but what I do isn't very interesting.
--- Small-town newspaper reporter (and comics fan) Mark Newman

> Thank you, SkyCutter, Dusky and Auntie P. for giving us a cool place to hang out: www.classicmarvel.com and www.classicmarvelforever.com.
May 03, 2008 10:45AM
In our gaming group it's a long standing tradition to grant a Karma award for humor, the funnier the joke/event, the more Karma rewarded.

For instance, last Saturday my friend Dave is running a campaign he's titled "Heroes Reborn" (and no, it has nothing to do with Onslaught spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ). The premise of the game is that half the players are characters from the 40's that arrive in our modern times where heroes and people with superpowers that aren't registered with the U.S. government are viewed as terrorists. It's a grittier setting, somewhat like the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

The Judge's brother Darren is playing his version of Hawkeye--a former Navy SEAL, turned CIA operative specializing in silent assassination (guess what he uses?) who was betrayed and "burned" by someone in the CIA and left to the tender mercies of a Columbian drug cartel whose leader he'd just killed. He escaped, returned to the U.S. and donning a black outfit has become an outlaw hero.

Our friend Erick is playing a character of his own creation, Charger, a registered superspeedster that wears a black tech suit with magnets in the legs and arms that he uses to build up and store an electrical charge that he can zap people with or power things.

My brother Al is playing an amnesia-stricken Namor, bedecked in his black costume, that has come to the surface to escape...something. He can't remember what, in fact he can't remember anything other than he just found the one man he somehow knows he can trust, my character....

Captain America, based on the Ultimate Universe version. My version of Cap was just found in suspended animation (though thought to be dead) on an experimental German U-Boat that was wedged in an iceberg in the arctic on a live TV program on the Discover Channel.

Long story short, Cap awakens and he, along with Namor and the other two heroes, speak with Nick Fury about the condition of the U.S. in 2008...

Fury: "The country's goin' to hell in handbasket Captain. The people are afraid of terrorists, their government, even their own neighbors. They need heroes like you and Namor and these other two yahoos, if they got what it takes."

Captain America: "Colonel, I, and I believe I can speak for Namor as well in regards to this, didn't fight beside America's brave soldiers to see the country become like this. Too much blood and sweat was shed, too many lives were lost protecting America and I'll be damned if she loses her way now while I am still breathing."

Namor: (stands) "Yes, though this is not my country, I can remember the valor of its warriors. Their hearts were brave and good."

Hawkeye: "I'm with ya, Cap!"

Charger: "Me too."

Namor: "Then it is done! America will remember what makes it great due to the return of her greatest champion, the star-spangled Captain (looks at his own black costume as well as those of Charger and Hawkeye) and his band of fearless Puritans!

At this Hawkeye's player laughed so hard he spewed Dr. Pepper. Thankfully we were playing outside so he turned his head and hosed the yard. And Namor's player netted 50 Karma for the Thar She Blows! humor award.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 03, 2008 03:52PM
Warlock Wrote:
> I posted this some time ago and its actually from
> D&D but its still funny.
>
> My little brother is DM for the first time ever
> and I am of course playing a mage.
>
> bro: you open the door to see a pitch black space
> on, the other side, not even your torches shine
> any light into the room.
> me: I tap around with my staff to spring any
> traps
> bro: you feel nothing
> meyawning smiley I step inside
> bro (with a wierd look on his face): you sure
> me: yes, I felt around with my staff and made sure
> that any obvious traps were sprung and you said
> "you feel nothing", so I walk in
> bro (with an almost scared look on his face): yeah
> you feel nothing
> me (getting a little sick of going round and round
> about walking into a room): yes I felt no traps,
> so I walk in dammit
> bro (realizing what is about to happen and what I
> will do to him when it does): are you sure?
> me (full on mad about it now): YES! I walk into
> the room!
> bro (getting up and preparing to run):
> you...umm...take a step into the room and realize
> there is no floor, a few minutes of falling ends
> with you going splat on the bottom of the shaft.
> me: .....
> (insert: the table is overturned as I pummel on my
> little brother for my own stupidity as everyone
> cries they are laughing so hard)

Beautiful...Just beautiful...poor little DM. You sound like you have a very fun table running at your home. I wished I was part of it. Now I'm gonna have to recall a few funny gaming experiences to share with you folks.
May 03, 2008 03:58PM
The Revenant Wrote:
> In our gaming group it's a long standing tradition
> to grant a Karma award for humor, the funnier the
> joke/event, the more Karma rewarded.
>
> For instance, last Saturday my friend Dave is
> running a campaign he's titled "Heroes Reborn"
> (and no, it has nothing to do with Onslaught spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
> ). The premise of the game is that half the
> players are characters from the 40's that arrive
> in our modern times where heroes and people with
> superpowers that aren't registered with the U.S.
> government are viewed as terrorists. It's a
> grittier setting, somewhat like the Ultimate
> Marvel Universe.
>
> The Judge's brother Darren is playing his version
> of Hawkeye--a former Navy SEAL, turned CIA
> operative specializing in silent assassination
> (guess what he uses?) who was betrayed and
> "burned" by someone in the CIA and left to the
> tender mercies of a Columbian drug cartel whose
> leader he'd just killed. He escaped, returned to
> the U.S. and donning a black outfit has become an
> outlaw hero.
>
> Our friend Erick is playing a character of his own
> creation, Charger, a registered superspeedster
> that wears a black tech suit with magnets in the
> legs and arms that he uses to build up and store
> an electrical charge that he can zap people with
> or power things.
>
> My brother Al is playing an amnesia-stricken
> Namor, bedecked in his black costume, that has
> come to the surface to escape...something. He
> can't remember what, in fact he can't remember
> anything other than he just found the one man he
> somehow knows he can trust, my character....
>
> Captain America, based on the Ultimate Universe
> version. My version of Cap was just found in
> suspended animation (though thought to be dead) on
> an experimental German U-Boat that was wedged in
> an iceberg in the arctic on a live TV program on
> the Discover Channel.
>
> Long story short, Cap awakens and he, along with
> Namor and the other two heroes, speak with Nick
> Fury about the condition of the U.S. in 2008...
>
> Fury: "The country's goin' to hell in handbasket
> Captain. The people are afraid of terrorists,
> their government, even their own neighbors. They
> need heroes like you and Namor and these other two
> yahoos, if they got what it takes."
>
> Captain America: "Colonel, I, and I believe I can
> speak for Namor as well in regards to this, didn't
> fight beside America's brave soldiers to see the
> country become like this. Too much blood and sweat
> was shed, too many lives were lost protecting
> America and I'll be damned if she loses her way
> now while I am still breathing."
>
> Namor: (stands) "Yes, though this is not my
> country, I can remember the valor of its warriors.
> Their hearts were brave and good."
>
> Hawkeye: "I'm with ya, Cap!"
>
> Charger: "Me too."
>
> Namor: "Then it is done! America will remember
> what makes it great due to the return of her
> greatest champion, the star-spangled Captain
> (looks at his own black costume as well as those
> of Charger and Hawkeye) and his band of fearless
> Puritans!
>
> At this Hawkeye's player laughed so hard he spewed
> Dr. Pepper. Thankfully we were playing outside so
> he turned his head and hosed the yard. And Namor's
> player netted 50 Karma for the Thar She Blows!
> humor award.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

ROFLMAO!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!
May 03, 2008 04:32PM
I have one. About 5 years ago, my current group were playing my PAYROLL campaign and we were concidered hired black market mercs. Did some side jobs between jobs we did for the darker side of the government. Well, one day we decided to stop off at a highway bar called "Hanks" We just brought in a new member to our group.(He was also a new player to my table but has been doing solo sessions with my friend Christian who was introducing him to the game of Marvel and trying his skills at GMing, Surge met him at the AZCON event I ran last January, it was my friend Sean.).
Well as we all walked in, we noticed that our pal Hank, (the owner of the bar, a given) was dealing with a shake down from good old Logan (We all know and love) over an intirerly difference issue unrelated to us. Sean's character recognized Logan right away due to his characters past encounters in one of christians solo sessions and goes, "Oh, it's just Wolverine from the X-Men."

Well, Logan tossed Hank on his butt and looked us up and down as he replaced his cigar into his mouth. One of my players (Jon, who Surg also met at the AZCON) character pulled out his custom made 4' rod of Adamantium he paid out of his nose for and written down the length of the rod read, "Whoop Ass Stick". My Character paused Jon's character after we seen Logan revealed his claws in retort to jon's characters actions as Logan spat, "Son, you ain't fit to spit shine my boots." Needless to say, Jon's character shoved me out'a the way and the fight was on.

After a few rounds of trading cuts for blows. Jon ended the fight with a luck of the dice and rolled a crit (roll of a natural 100) to smacking Logan across the head with his "whoops ass stick" sending Logan out the front window and me failing Wolverine's Endurance roll with a unlucky "01", well Logan was out cold on the hood of a car covere with glass. Klutch was bleeding, his kenetic absorption cannot stop edge attacks. So he'd hit himself to heal himself with his stick during his fight, when ever the oppertunity allowed.(Surge seen this action during the AZCON while fighting Sentinals, great session by the way Surge).

After that, Sean's character was in shock (as was Sean) and he blurted out in character as well as out of character, the funniest thing I've ever heard a new member to my table say. "YOU GUYS ARE BAD GUYS?" We all stopped to stared at him and started laughing (in and out of game). All this time we all thought he knew what sort of gaming session I was running.
May 12, 2008 12:12AM
My character Mr Happy has been responsible for all sorts of hijinks over the years but there are two standout moments which got me karma awards.

1. Mr Happy and company are in Russia fighting a team of soviets metas. Among them is the Titanium Man. The T Man is knocked out of the sky by one character and while he is momentarily stunned Mr Happy rushes over to him, and using his shape altering powers goes super thin, and slips his hands into the armor and gives the T Man a super-wedgie! Everyone at the table lost it over that one!

2. During an online game Mr Happy has joined the Xavier Institute. He turns into Emma Frost and calls out another new student, the teenage son of the Hulk Brazen Banner aka The Brute. Brazen has the mind of a typical teenage male and is constantly making comments to and about the girls at the school. Well Happy as Frost approaches him very seductively in front of all the other students. He/she asks Brazen what he thinks of her/his body. Brazen can hardly speak, when "Emma" suddenly flashes him revealing to nippleless yellow, smiley faced brests that are bouncing in his face making a wubba wubba sound the whole time. I think I got +50 karma for that gag.
May 12, 2008 12:34AM
That was the funniest gag in the game!!!

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 12, 2008 01:09AM
That was amusing, I just wish the pace had let me get some fun on that, might have turned the joke back around on you given the chance. winking smiley Never did get to see if you were ever going to try something with Perceptor or play out a prank I'd been considering there in the tavern.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 14, 2008 11:22AM
OH I would have tried to prank everyone sooner or later. His pranks have gone from the leaborate (like the Emma Frost thing) to something as simple as turning his hand into a whoopie cushion when someone shook it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2008 11:48AM by Mr Happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

LimeyDragon (8:49)
Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Heroes Online: 6 on January 11, 2016
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.