Robocop, the Future of Law Enforcement

Posted by brianbuck 
Robocop, the Future of Law Enforcement
February 08, 2010 03:32AM

Robocop

Identity: Known to Omni Consumer Products
Legal status: Robocop is the property of the OCP corporation. Alex Murphy is legally deceased
Other aliases: None
Place of birth: Unrevealed
Marital status: Widower
Known relatives: Ellen (wife), Jimmy (son)
Group affiliation: Detroit Police Department, partner of Officer Ann Lewis
Base of operations: Detroit, Michigan

Character type: Mech body cyborg

"Come quietly or there will be…trouble."

Fighting: Excellent (20)
Agility: Typical (6)
Strength: Remarkable (30)
Endurance: Amazing (50)
Reason: Good (10)
Intuition: Excellent (20)
Psyche: Incredible (40)

Health: 106
Resources: Good
Popularity: 30

Powers:
Body Armor: Robocops’ primary armor is composed of titanium laminated with Kevlar. It provides Incredible (40) rank protection from Physical attacks and Excellent (20) rank protection from energy attacks.

Communication with Cybernetics: Using a spike mounted in his right arm, Robocop and interface directly with computers and communicate with them at Excellent (20) rank.

Natural weaponry: spike: Mounted in Robocops’ right arm, it does Excellent (20) edged attack damage.

Targeting system: This built in computer assisted targeting software gives Robocop a +2 Column Shift to all ranged attacks.

Thermal vision: Excellent (20) rank.

Equipment
Auto 9: This powerful 9mm handgun fires in three round bursts for Remarkable (30) ranged damage. It is stored in Robocops’ right thigh.

Weaknesses
Magnetism: Robocop, being made of metal, is particularly vulnerable to magnetic attacks. Such attacks are +3CS against him.

Directive 4: This directive is a hard-wired portion of Robocops’ operating system. Any attempt to arrest a senior officer of Omni Consumer Products results in shutdown. Robocop will have all ranks drop to Poor (4) and be unable to move should he attempt to do so. A red Psyche feat is required to act while this directive is in effect.

Talents:
Martial Arts B, Leadership, Marksman, Investigation

Contacts: Officer Ann Lewis, Sargent Reed, and most other officers in the Detroit Police Department.

History:
Alex Murphy was an officer in the Detroit Police Department. He was brutally gunned down by a gang of criminals led by the notorious gangster Clarence Boddicker. He was shot multiple times at point blank range. Boddicker finished him off with a pistol shot to the head. Murphy was rushed to the hospital, where he died. He was brought back to life as a cyborg under the auspices of Omni Consumer Products Robocop project. With the memory of his former life removed, he functioned as an effective law enforcement tool, dramatically reducing the crime rate in Old Detroit. After encountering one of the thugs responsible for his death, Robocop recovered and remembered his former life as Alex Murphy. He reunited with his partner, Ann Lewis and together they succeeded in bringing corrupt OCP executive Dick Jones, who was working with Clarence Boddicker, to justice.
OCP, impressed with the success of Murphy as Robocop, attempted to build another law enforcement cyborg. After several failed attempts and an expenditure of over 90 million dollars they had a measure of success with Robocop 2.
It backfired, badly.
Unknown to the general public at the time, the cyborg Robocop 2 possessed the brain of Kane, a drug lord and leader of a cult/gang responsible for the creation and distribution of Nuke, the most addictive narcotic in history. Doctor Juliet Faxx, supervisor of the Robocop 2 effort, believed that Kanes’ hopeless addiction to Nuke would make him easier to control. She was tragically wrong. Robocop 2 went on a rampage immediately after it’s unveiling. It took the combined efforts of Robocop, and nearly the entire Detroit Police Department to finally stop the rogue machine.
Alex Murphy, as Robocop, continues his partnership with Officer Ann Lewis in service to the Detroit Police Department.

Role Playing Notes:
Alex Murphy was a devout Irish Catholic family man before his brutal murder and resurrection. This devotion to faith and family provides him with the will to endure his new existence as a cyborg. He is programmed with three prime directives:
1. Serve the Public Trust.
2. Protect the Innocent.
3. Uphold the Law.
These directives are hardwired into Robocops’ programming and oversee the majority of his activities in the field. Although on one occasion, after Juliet Faxx installed defective software into his operating systems, Robocop used an electric surge to remove all directives from his databanks. Alex Murphy remains a dedicated law enforcement officer.
Re: Robocop, the Future of Law Enforcement
February 08, 2010 04:29AM
Pretty good Robocop. I think i'd boost his Strength score to Incredible. it might be on the low end of that rank, but the things that a Remarkable strength type would struggle to do, Robocop seems to do fairly easilly.

On his talents, I'd also add guns (giving him an effective Remarkable agility while shooting if you factor in the targetting system), which i think adequately portrays Robocop's ability to shoot very precisely. His gun doing Remarkable damage seems a bit high though, i'd lower that to Excellent. He also should have the Law Enforcement talent.

You might want to give him some enhanced senses as well in terms of hearing.

Lastly, his psyche seems high to me. When Robocop's directives were tampered with, it didn't seem all that hard for the scientist to pull it off, and Robocop didn't seem to overtly resist it. I would probably drop it to Excellent, which would make contested feats against reprogramming seem capable by an Excellent Reason OCP programmer with talents instead of needing a super genius to pull it off.

Otherwise, good job, fun to read.
February 10, 2010 04:24AM
Ditto Capo's points in every respect; I was thinking the same thing in terms of his shooting ability in the movies.
February 11, 2010 01:37AM
I gave Murphy a high Psyche because he's the only guy in the film series who was made into a cyborg who didn't go stark, raving mad. Not that Kane was all that stable to begin with.
I figured his targeting system plus the Marksman talent covers is shooting skills nicely. And I figured Investigation and Law Enforcement were close to the same thing.
February 11, 2010 05:09AM
Not going crazy after cyborg transition seems much more reasonable at the excellent level, when you compare freakjobs like Kane probably had a psyche of Typical at best (he was an unrepentant junkie which is gonna do serious wreckage on the Psyche score). Plus it's important to consider that Murphy can use his psyche score to resist efforts at reprogramming, since he's sentient. Giving him incredible would require a scientist of Tony Stark's calliber or better to override Murphy's will. That OCP chick that did the rrporgramming is simply no tony stark.

Also, Murphy showed decisively that he was compitent with nearly any firearm that he got his hands on, be it his side-arm, the cobra gun they used in part 1, the gun upgrades he got in part 3, he used them with equal fluency, so without question he deserves the guns talent. Law Enforcement and Investigation are actually pretty different in terms of when they apply and what they affect.
February 12, 2010 03:46AM
Agree with Marksman/targeting, brian, but shouldn't his S be higher? Incr, I would say, or maybe high Rem(30+)
February 12, 2010 11:08AM
I don't think there's any indication in the films of Robocop lifting any really heavy weights. He had some difficulty at the end of the first film in lifting the steel I beam he was pinned under (granted, he was damaged at the time). By contrast, in the Spectacular Spider Man series, Spidey picks up a similar I beam with no effort and smacks Sandman upside the head with it.
February 12, 2010 11:13AM
The strength sounds right to me, above the human norm anyway.

But I do agree with guns and law enforcement being added in.
February 12, 2010 02:30PM
Plus it wasn't like Robocop was in the position where they'd have reason (even if they had the technology) to give him Incredible Strength. Given his general job description his main requirements were improved senses to detect threats easier than a normal human being, full crime database, heavy armor to deal with the kinds of weapons available to criminals and weapon accuracy. Incredible or better strength wouldn't be a requirement and we can put down Remarkable as simply the result of using robotic systems in place of his original human organics (which still put him miles ahead of any other human not running on some serious and likely lethal drugs).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
February 13, 2010 11:07AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus it wasn't like Robocop was in the position
> where they'd have reason (even if they had the
> technology) to give him Incredible Strength.
> Given his general job description his main
> requirements were improved senses to detect
> threats easier than a normal human being, full
> crime database, heavy armor to deal with the kinds
> of weapons available to criminals and weapon
> accuracy. Incredible or better strength wouldn't
> be a requirement and we can put down Remarkable as
> simply the result of using robotic systems in
> place of his original human organics (which still
> put him miles ahead of any other human not running
> on some serious and likely lethal drugs).

I agree. However, one of the things that always bugged me about the MSH rules is that Rem rank Strength has a max of 1 ton and Incredible has a max of 10 tons with nothing inbetween. If there were a rank for lifting 5 tons (Which I think Robocop could do, if necessary) I'd give him that.
February 13, 2010 12:04PM
Out of curiosity, any chance of a write-up of the ED-209? smiling smiley
February 13, 2010 02:12PM
brianbuck Wrote:
> I agree. However, one of the things that always
> bugged me about the MSH rules is that Rem rank
> Strength has a max of 1 ton and Incredible has a
> max of 10 tons with nothing inbetween. If there
> were a rank for lifting 5 tons (Which I think
> Robocop could do, if necessary) I'd give him that.

That's not quite accurate, as you can bench up to 1 ton on a Remarkable feat, so Robocop could lift that ton on a yellow feat or if he redlined his bionics he could on a red feat bench up to 10 tons. The main problem we run into with how marvel statted characters is that in the comics say Spider-man is listed as his absolute maximum is 10 tons, which means in the comics on a red feat he does 10 tons but when writing him (and every other character) up for the game they gave him Incredible Strength meaning in the game he can bench up to 50 tons on a red feat, or 5 times what he can in the comics. Only the likes of Thor and the Hulk are accurately statted at the Unearthly level since they're specifically in the 'can lift/press over 100 tons' category.

Robocop's certainly impressive based on his setting however you slice it though, since it's a world where normal humans are the thing and superhumans just don't exist effectively making him the first with his cyborg conversion. Right down to having to battle an evil more powerful version of himself in the second movie/storyarc. For which I had to love how they so accurately portrayed how insane politically correct adherence to rules would be, virtually eliminating any effectiveness on his part or anyone else trying to adhere to it.

He did though end up getting all those directives purged from his system and restored to full human decision-making capability.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
February 13, 2010 04:04PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> brianbuck Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree. However, one of the things that always
> > bugged me about the MSH rules is that Rem rank
> > Strength has a max of 1 ton and Incredible has
> a
> > max of 10 tons with nothing inbetween. If there
> > were a rank for lifting 5 tons (Which I think
> > Robocop could do, if necessary) I'd give him
> that.
>
> That's not quite accurate, as you can bench up to
> 1 ton on a Remarkable feat, so Robocop could lift
> that ton on a yellow feat or if he redlined his
> bionics he could on a red feat bench up to 10
> tons. The main problem we run into with how
> marvel statted characters is that in the comics
> say Spider-man is listed as his absolute maximum
> is 10 tons, which means in the comics on a red
> feat he does 10 tons but when writing him (and
> every other character) up for the game they gave
> him Incredible Strength meaning in the game he can
> bench up to 50 tons on a red feat, or 5 times what
> he can in the comics. Only the likes of Thor and
> the Hulk are accurately statted at the Unearthly
> level since they're specifically in the 'can
> lift/press over 100 tons' category.
>
> Robocop's certainly impressive based on his
> setting however you slice it though, since it's a
> world where normal humans are the thing and
> superhumans just don't exist effectively making
> him the first with his cyborg conversion. Right
> down to having to battle an evil more powerful
> version of himself in the second movie/storyarc.
> For which I had to love how they so accurately
> portrayed how insane politically correct adherence
> to rules would be, virtually eliminating any
> effectiveness on his part or anyone else trying to
> adhere to it.
>
> He did though end up getting all those directives
> purged from his system and restored to full human
> decision-making capability.

That makes me wonder if OCP ever bothered to re-install his prime directive software.
February 13, 2010 04:09PM
Incognito Wrote:
> Out of curiosity, any chance of a write-up of the
> ED-209? smiling smiley

I plan to get around to it. But I want to stat Robocop 2 first. I'd also like to stat Murphy and Kane pre-conversion along with Lewis, Boddicker and maybe Hob. Now that I've gotten a few of my favorite humorous characters statted (Al Bundy and Cartman), I want to focus more on the Transformers and the Japanese giant monsters.
I've never seen the third Robocop film. So I'm not bothering to stat anything from it.
And if anybody is wondering whatever happened to Peter Weller, he cut down on acting and got a degree in art history, and is now a faculty member at Syracuse University.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2010 04:12PM by brianbuck.
February 13, 2010 06:59PM
brianbuck Wrote:
> That makes me wonder if OCP ever bothered to
> re-install his prime directive software.

Seemed unlikely since Robocop ended up almost a free agent by the time he shorted out his circuits to wipe the control software out. By the third movie he was even defying the law to protect innocents being threatened by legalized murder effectively to drive them from their homes for development by greedy industry.

-- Peter David

July 03, 2019 06:42PM
All of my custom number crunching is in storage but,
at one point my origonal MSHrpg group (when it was new)
broke down each rank by the numbers in it for strength
and speed.
If I remember correctly 40)IN was the simplest.

36 = 2 tons __
37 = 3 tons ___
38 = 4 tons ____
39 = 5 tons _____
40 = 6 tons ______
41 = 6.5 tn. ______.
42 = 7 tons _______
43 = 8 tons ________
44 = 9 tons _________
45 = 10 ton __________
July 08, 2019 09:29AM
I'd dial back the magnetism effects a bit. Titanium is only weakly magnetic so maybe a +1CS at most or maybe even a 1CS penalty for the effects of magnetism against his body. The rest looks great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 19
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.