E RM
R EX
I TY
P EX

Resources: EX
Health 90
Pop: 0

Powers
- Duplication: Madrox can create exact duplicates of himself. Each time he is struck or gets a sudden jolt he creates one but he has mastered his ability to such extend that he can now create dupes at will as well (though he must still strike himself for a minimum amount of kinetic energy). Madrox absorbs this kinetic energy to form the dupe and he suffers no damage from blunt or force attack. Any force or kinetic attack stronger than RM will produce multiple duplicates, 5 extra duplicate plus one for every 5 pts over RM. So a force attack of MN (75) would produce 14 extra duplicates. At this time there is no known limit as to how many dupes he can create. The dupes are totally independent but usually work well together. When one dupe is killed Madrox must make a Psyche FEAT or fall unconscious for 1-10 rounds. Madrox may absorb his dupes back to himself but some traumatic experiences may force a dupe to become totally independent so it cannot be absorbed anymore.
- Healing: When Madrox absorbs duplicates that are injured these no damage is transferred to the dupe that does the absorbsion. A near dead dupe if reabsorbed transfers no damage to host and a new duplicate could be immediately made that is in perfect shape. Also a poisoned duped that splits dilutes the poison Making endurance increase one column slot for everyone 2 dupes vs. any poison affects.
- Split mind: When under affects of mind control by duplicating Madrox and reduce these affects. Making Psyce increase one column slot for everyone 5 dupes vs. mind altering affects.
- Serial Immortality: When the original Jamie is killed a Psyche FEAT must be made, if this is successful one of his dupes becomes the 'real' Madrox.
- Dupe power stunt: Madrox can also reach through doors or cages and create duplicates on the other side. If he forces a part of his body into an object and creates duplicate the new duplicate will grow inside the object creating MN damage to that object.
- Shared information: Any absorbed dupe shares any and all experiences with its new host. This includes anything learned or experienced.
- Telepathy: (GD) Madrox can communicate over short distances with his dupes.

Limitations: His dupes are growing more and more independent. For every 10 dupes created a power check has to be made. If it fails of the dupes will not follow his orders. 1 round later the same power check is made again. If it fails again that dupe is openly aggressive to madrox and can’t be reabsorbed unless reduced in health or knocked out.

Talents: Student, Genetics, Martial Arts C, D, E, Acrobatics, Law, Languages: Russian, Hawaiian, theology, espionage, First Aid, Guns,
Joe
Re: Madrox the Multiple Man
October 02, 2008 07:03PM
I like it, good work Junderway. smileys with beer
October 03, 2008 04:23AM
It's a good write up. I'd give Madrox a rank as far as the talent sharing ability. Maybe something like he can substitute his power rank of duplication in place of reason, success meaning one of his dupes is well versed in the topic.
October 03, 2008 06:22AM
I actually like that a lot. And it makes a lot of sense.
October 04, 2008 01:41PM
Not too bad overall but there's no way he could replicate himself and reduce the effects of poison since he copies everything when he duplicates and would just end up with multiple copies just as badly poisoned as the original. I imagine he might develop a power stunt though that'd let him copy items temporarily, lasting only as long as the duplicate that had the item remained in existence. The healing directly contradicts his previously stated process of averaging out health based on the rejoining of various copies in a range of damaged conditions though.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
October 04, 2008 02:46PM
Reduceing poison like that was cannon in the comics which is where I got it from. Essentially when he duplicates his body duplicates but the foreign object that the body is trying to reject of the poison does not duplicate but gets split evenly with new duplicate. Which dilutes the poison. That is at least the theory behind it.

Same principle with his resistance to mind control. When he duplicates the person using the mental powers on him now has to use it on two creatures instead of one. And as they share some psi-link it is made even more difficult.

I didnt put it on the write up but he has down some ability to duplicate small objects. He bought a scarf from a store and duplicated and all the dupes were wearing that scarf. It was just a regular scarf not made of instable molicules or anything like that. At some point he may develop the ability to really duplicate objects with him like guns, swords, etc. but I have seen no real evidence of that yet.
October 04, 2008 08:45PM
That reducing poison doesn't make any sense at all (his clothes certainly aren't a part of him yet they replicate just fine) and if they've only shown that once I'd just reject that as an established feature or power stunt for his duplication. Comics are littered with characters having one-shot powers or power stunts that they never see again (Sub-Mariner early on was said to have the powers of all the ocean's animals and demonstrated stuff like electrical generation but that was dropped very quickly for example) and really aren't established for them. I don't fault you for listing it if it's been shown in the comics but if it was just seen once and never again it was likely just a writer experimenting and not really an established power stunt for him.

Same goes with is resistance to mind control, since the copies weren't any sort of group mind and originally established that each was a semi-independent will that could be overtaken one at a time and having large numbers around gave no added benefits. How often have they shown him with such massive increases in the benefits from his copying ability?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
October 05, 2008 04:51AM
These massive befitted are part of an on going theme. From several different writers as he is becomeing more of a major character and less of a supporting character. And it does make sense as I explained it. He is part of a group mind as you call it. This has been a common theme. Each dupe is completely independent but still tied to each other. Madrox has shown he can communicate telepathicly with them. SO that explains mind conontrol resistance. This still isnt that powerful because you still have to keep dupeing yourself in order to resist the mind control. And if you dont have control of yourself you may not be able to.

Secondly, the poison makes sense based upon it being a foreign object in the body. Unlike clothes that are merely attached. Like the human body poisons, bullets, implants, etc can be rejected by the body. This would simply be madrox's body and powers way of rejected the poison. Of the two I be more likely to accept this as it makes a certain amount of sense of that of mind conrtrol.

Now you are right. Often a writer comes in gives a character powers to fit a story arch or just cause there bone heads. But in this case it is all part of a common theme for say the last 20 issues involveing madrox that his powers are expanding. Different writers same plan. So i can't discredit new things he is doing very easily. I mean they come right out and say it in the comics that he is growing more powerful.
October 05, 2008 10:15AM
I agree with Junderway. Looking at Madrox through the lens of the past is not somehow more legitimate than looking at him through the lens of the present. Peter David, who is the current [and past I might add] writer of X-Factor, and has handled Maddrox at multiple instances of his career, has characterized his Duplication abilities in a state of progressive usefullness [i.e. Powerstunts]. And Maddrox's stunts haven't been shown as 'one-timers' like the Sub-Mariner electrical generation [even though he's demonstrated that a few times, especially in his earlier career]. Instead, Maddrox has been shown to use these newer stunts as part of an on-going repertoire.
October 05, 2008 12:58PM
Madrox doesn't operate as a group mind/colony creature though when he's replicating himself, otherwise his dupes couldn't grow more independent and resist him when he tries to reassimilate them. They're contrary things that can't go together. While they may be able to communicate with one another they aren't interlinked to the point that they'd logically be able to resist as a single gestalt mind.

I think you have your ideas of foreign bodies a bit messed up there, if you think clothing is okay to duplicate when it isn't part of his body at all yet the poison that's in his body somehow is less connected to it and able to not be duplicated. Poisons are very much linked to the body since they are scattered through it, unlike one's clothing. One reason why Collection makes it a Red Power feat to even try pulling a poison out of a body. Poison is far less a foreign body than clothing or even an artificial joint.

-- Peter David

October 05, 2008 03:29PM
They are not a hive mind they are completely separate though they do share a link. It is not really that though that makes the mind control difficult. What makes it difficult is that the controller is focussed on controlling one mind. Then that mids "splits" into two or more minds. Which are also controlled. Now the controller has to work on controlling two minds that are semi-linked. It more or less simply confuses the controlling mind. Try this as an anology. Picture a puppeter controlling a puppet with 4 strings. Easy for him to do. Then the strings double. Now he has to exert more effort for the same conroll and may not know hat strings to pull. THen more strings double. The analogy isnt a perfect one but it highlights the point of mind control being a difficult thing and when the mind and slitting and splitting its made difficult.

On to poison. The difference you missed is clothes are not IN the body so his powers would not resist duplicateing it. However, poison no matter how well "scattered" in the body is rejected all the time. The human body always trys to reject poisons in the blood stream. Look at simple alchole. THe body makes us puke to reject it, the liver works twice as hard when alcohol is consumed, even cholesterol drops because the body is working harder and produces more "good" cholesterol to help reject the poison. So yes human bodies work hard to reject poison. So to think his duplication power may does not have ways to reject the poison like human bodies do, I just don't see.
October 05, 2008 04:24PM
A controlled copy of Madrox wouldn't be able to replicate to cause more trouble for a controlling mind though, plus being controlled it could be forced to merge back again for easy of control so it doesn't provide any benefits against mind control.

Actually alcohol is processed by the body like many foods are (why do you think alcoholics end up with that beer gut as they call it?) and it's the toxic byproducts that are a problem. People vomiting it up is a result of the overdose of it beyond the ability of the body to tolerate at the time but many can drink the same amount and stomach it just fine, at least until it kills them. I think the difference you miss is that stuff IN the body would be a lot harder to not replicate than stuff that isn't a part of it. Just because it's a poison has nothing to do with the power somehow knowing not to copy it and even if it somehow did all you'd get is unpoisoned copies and a still very poisoned original rather than diluting it around all the copies.

-- Peter David

October 05, 2008 05:34PM
The first point you made on mind control is true to an extent. Often a mind controller doesnt exert direct control over someone. They say, "go kill someone." Then they leave you to do it. At that point if they dont see you duplicate they cant stop you from doing it unless that was an initial command to not duplicate. ANd if you duplicate on accident unless they will fully force you to reabsorb your dupe you wont necessarily. And even then it may be too late because a few dupes created would instantly break the hold. As I said the mind control thing I find to be less likely then below however it is still cannon.

Poison

Actually, alcohol IS NOT processed like most foods are. It is processed like a poison. Hence, the example I stated why alcohol can reduce cholesterol. If it was processed the same as other foods this would not be the case. Yes, so aspects of the processing are similar but not the same. People vomit because vomiting is the bodys natural reaction to ride itself of poison. This happens with a great many poisons include alcohol. However, unless alcohol is consumned in excess it is not a toxic poison and the body does not reject it.

The difficulty of duplicateing something inside or outside the body is irrelevance. We can assume that both in theory could be done. WHich is a fairly reasonable assumption. I assume that your contention is that his dupes should all be Equally poisoned correct? If that is the case then we assume that he can duplicate the poison. My point is that the body as a defense mechanism to poison. WHich human bodies have. All human bodies have defense mechanisms. As a defense mechanism to the poison it does not duplicate the poison and instead the poison gets diluted amounts the dupes.

I fail to see how you dont see this. What is it that you think should happen and why? Do you believe that dupes should come out in perfect condition and the original poisoned? If thats the case that is fine because then the new dupe absorbs the old dupe and the are both healed. This tactic has also been shown a injured madrox gets absorbed by a uninjured madrox and the madrox that did the absorbsion absorbs none of the damage. So to would be the case with poison.
October 05, 2008 05:49PM
Madrox's duplicates are identical to the original at time of duplication, you cut the one's arm off and that duplicate copies itself you now have two copies missing an arm. Sure a copy that still has both arms might reabsorb one of those copies so it would somehow recover once subsumed into the whole but the health of the healthier one would still suffer as a result of trying to deal with such trauma. And as far as defense mechanisms go just because the body tries to resist poison doesn't mean his self-duplication power is going to somehow skip copying it. Sure his Endurance is trying to fight it off to survive (and remember the point of poisons is to get around defenses to try and kill you) but that's independent of his power and taking a power that copies everything that's part of him, good or bad, and extending it where it just doesn't go.

-- Peter David

October 06, 2008 03:26AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Madrox's duplicates are identical to the original
> at time of duplication, you cut the one's arm off
> and that duplicate copies itself you now have two
> copies missing an arm.

True

Sure a copy that still has
> both arms might reabsorb one of those copies so it
> would somehow recover once subsumed into the whole
> but the health of the healthier one would still
> suffer as a result of trying to deal with such
> trauma.

This is where you are wrong. It is shown as cannon that the if he absorbs the injured dupe with no arms. The healthy one would take No health damage. This is new but has been shown a couple times. This is not to say he would not suffer psycological trama from reabsorbing a dupe that just lost his arms. But he would take no physical damage.

And as far as defense mechanisms go just
> because the body tries to resist poison doesn't
> mean his self-duplication power is going to
> somehow skip copying it.

No it does not mean that. But it gives us a plausable reason that his body COULD react that way as a defense mechanism. We are not looking for absolutes here just plausable reasons to suspend disbelief. For me it is easy to believe that a mutant body would use its power as a defense mechanism to repel foreign objects in the blood.

Sure his Endurance is
> trying to fight it off to survive (and remember
> the point of poisons is to get around defenses to
> try and kill you)

LOL that doesnt mean that the poison gets the advantage. It is a battle in the bloodstream. Some poisons win some dont.

but that's independent of his
> power and taking a power that copies everything
> that's part of him, good or bad, and extending it
> where it just doesn't go.

But no one ever said that the power copies everything bad or good. Where is that written. In fact his copies are never exact copies. Often they have completely different personalities and as personalities traits are nothing more then chemical balances in the brain, that is further proof that each copy is not always physically the same.
October 09, 2008 03:12PM
Have him learn ninjitsu and chi powers and you got a mutant naruto. Wich bring the question, could diffrent dupes learn diffrent energy? like one learn chi, one learn magic?
October 09, 2008 07:43PM
As far as magic goes, the answer is no as he doesn't have the mystic origin talent. Without that, learning magic isn't an option. As far as Chi abilities, that would take a great deal of time, for the Dupe to master. And the longer a dupe is on their own, the more independent they get. All that aside, it's more reasonable that Madrox would learn a martial arts talent as opposed to any in depth chi based powers.

StrykerSigma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have him learn ninjitsu and chi powers and you got
> a mutant naruto. Wich bring the question, could
> diffrent dupes learn diffrent energy? like one
> learn chi, one learn magic?
October 14, 2008 04:53PM
He has already picked up a few martial arts talents when one of his dupes became a master at Kung fu as a sholin monk. As a monk it is possible to pick up chi powers but I dont know if he could ever dedicate himself to that level.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.