12 Days of Halloween VI: Werewolves from 'Dog Soldiers' (2002)

Posted by thejackolantern 
12 Days of Halloween VI: Werewolves from 'Dog Soldiers' (2002)
October 27, 2014 06:30AM
'Every month, when the moon is full, they hunt as a team. Dedicated to the kill. During that time, at least fifteen people have vanished. Hikers mostly. In small groups or alone. They're caught out in the open, hunted down, torn apart and devoured. I've never witness the actual slaughter, but the next day, no bodies, no werewolves, just blood.'

A few years ago, I featured Sergent Cooper from the 2002 film Dog Soldiers and I have been perennially planning to actually follow-up one Halloween with the stats to the werewolves that Cooper faced. This year is all about me kind of closing the door on outstanding Halloween write-ups, and I know I'm going to miss a couple (additional cennobites or additional puppets for puppet master), but I was determined to get a few things in. One of the big things on the list were the werewolves from DS. In essence, a military squad is sent into the Scottish Highlands on what is believed to be military exercises. In reality, the group has stumbled across a werewolf clan who are hunting them to the last. The soldiers must face the threat of the werewolves over the course of a long night, and it's a helluva night.

Why Dog Soldier Werewolves?

First, I have to say I like the look and the style of how they did the werewolves. I thought it was interesting and I thought that having a limited budget, being able to get that kind of effect was neat. Secondly, I really wanted to do them this year because I felt that each year has sort of had a theme, and this year has been more 'Types of Monsters' than anything else. Finally, it wasn't just the mindless beast sort of werewolf, the DS werewolves were clever, cunning, and completely human in their thinking. I appreciated that, and it stuck with me. I'm just sorry it took so long to write them up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A typical Dog Soldier Werewolf

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

F: Ex (20)
A: Rm (30)
S: Rm (30)
E: Am (50)
R: Typical (06)
I: Mn (75)
P: Typ (06)

Health: 130
Popularity: 0*
Resources: In human form, at least Gd (10)

Talents:
Area Knowledge: Home Grounds
Area Knowledge: Surrounding Highlands
Small-Unit Tactics
Cooking
Hunting/Tracking

Powers:
Werewolf: The DS Werewolves are traditional Hollywood senses: The are bipedal, taking aspects of both wolf and human, and empowered by the full moon. The DS werewolves have the following abilities:
  • Transformation: On the nights of the full moon, the unidentified members of the 'family' transform into werewolves. These werewolves maintain certain aspects of their human intellect, such as cunning and capabilities, but cannot speak and show no mercy to anyone they find. The transformation is observed to be painful and can be resisted for short times with a individual Psyche FEAT.
  • Invulnerability: As shown in the movie, DS werewolves are not even bothered by small to medium arms fire, taking damage only from fire, serious and significant explosions, scalding hot water, and/or silver weapons (See limitations). The DS werewolves are considered to have RM (30) resistance to most things, although can be burned, stunned, and scalded.
  • Regeneration*: DS werewolves can regenerate damage both in their werewolf forms as well as their human forms with Am (50) ability. As both Sgt Welles and Captain Ryan were shown to be suffering death effects early on and completely healed during the movie, it is assumed werewolves can regenerate.
  • Tracking: DS Werewolves can track with Rm (30) ability
  • Heightened Senses: DS werewolves can see in near perfect darkness and have enhanced senses at Ex (20)
  • Natural Weaponry: Claws: DS werewolves have Ex (20) damage claws which shred body armor rendering it 1/2 effective
  • Natural Weaponry: Bite: The DS werewolves can bite with Rm (30) intensity, halving body armor and resistance ranks.
  • Werewolf 'curse': As shown with Ryan and Welles, when a person is nearly killed by the werewolves they are infected with the curse. The curse takes upwards of 2 - 10 hours before the initial transformation begins. During this period all damage (including lethal damage and lost Endurance ranks) is regenerated. During the first transformation, the subject will suffer a -4cs to their Psyche as the beast takes them over. Depending on the individual, the curse/virus/whatever may not immediately take over, allowing the victim to resist with a Psyche FEAT for a short time (every 20 rounds or so).
  • Supernatural Speed: The DS werewolves can move up to four areas a round.

Contacts:
DS Werewolves have the contacts of the pack, including all members of the group.

Limitations:
There are several key limitations for the DS werewolf:
  • Fatal Vulnerability to silver: If struck with a silver weapon, the DS werewolf must make an immediate Endurance FEAT vs. death at -4cs or immediately begin the dying process.
  • Mid-Transformation Death: As seen twice, a DS werewolf can be killed during Mid-Transformation with a Kill Result. The moment of weakness lasts 1d10 turns as the werewolf transforms.
  • Cannibals: The werewolves are cannibals even in human form. As such, they are guilty of dozens of disappearances and crimes, keeping the bodies in a larder amid personal effects.

Notes:
Nothing more to be said. Check out the movie!
Re: 12 Days of Halloween VI: Werewolves from 'Dog Soldiers' (2002)
April 10, 2024 06:43PM
Meanwhile, 10 years later, winking smiley;

I really enjoyed Dog Soldiers. There were plans for a series of 'Private Cooper movies' where he runs across various supernatural beings - Vampires, Frankenstein's Monster, etc. - but it was never picked up.

One thing I didn't care for in the werewolf look was the hairlessness. The heads looked wicked-cool, but the skinny, hairless bodies - with furry feet, no less - kinda sucked!

Is there a reason you put the werewolves Resources at, "...at least Gd (10)"? I mean, they had a pretty nice house and farm n the Highlands, but it was a Family Farm. I don't disagree that they probably had Good Resources, but why did you mention it specifically?

And Cooper was a Private. Any reason you made him a Sergeant in your Lead-In paragraph?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 57
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.