January 12, 2009 03:08PM
aunt_petunia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> let me add my bit in here.. when i handed over
> classicmarvel i was and still am happy to hand
> over the domain. one clause was to see that the
> site not turn over to advertising/money pandering
> systems. At this time, there have been no
> improvements. Everything is as i turned over.
>
> I uploaded the site
> I gave the locations and instructions on all
> freeware used.
> Costs should be negligable (for hosting).
> Personally, i cannot see where these large sums
> have been spent (and i dont expect an
> itemisation), i find it hard to see where any real
> effort or substantial outlay has occured. Again, i
> will not hand over the domain until some real
> effort has been made on continuing the site.
>
> Heck its easy to add some new writeups, its easy
> to uploaded new images. These are not cost
> restrictive activites. Heck, goto hotscripts.com,
> grab a wiki//content management system and get it
> running in less than 60 minutes... add 10 more to
> streamline into the site design. This is not a
> complex site. I built this site with no knowledge
> of php/html/java or databases, just a willingness
> and a desire to share. It seems that the new
> administrator may not have that vision and i would
> rather the site was relocated to another domain or
> die than have it mismanaged in such a way with
> constant claims of huge investment and my
> unwilligness to hand over the domain as the cause
> of stagnation.
>
> PS: Im not here for arguements, im not in for
> debate. This is the situation. Im not handing it
> over till something positive is done, thats it,
> all there is too it. Take it as you will.

Ok, I have sat back long enough on this issue! The site is totally stable now, thanks to Kevin an TransEffect! As for updating the Character Profile Section it is not so simple, more money will have to be put into this Web Site to make it function correctly so that these updates can take place!

True Aunt_Petunia did give all of the locations to freeware programs to make this site run properly, but there were Major Errors in the Script to the Data Base, that is why there was so many run time problems to this site! This is also the reason the Old Forum was Restored as an Archive, that cost money "The Old Forum was Totally Rewritten and Restored"!

Now as for Advertising & Money Pandering Systems on classicmarvel.com! It Well Never Happen Period.......

I have sent Emails to Aunt_Petunia asking for the Domain to this site, he has refused to hand it over, saying that nothing really has been done to the site! Wrong the site now functions Properly with no run time issues whatsoever! Now as for the Updates the Aunt_Petunia is asking for, I have several updates planned for the Site! I want to put in a live Video/Chat on classicmarvel.com so that you can see your friends from the Forum while you are logged on to the Site! I also want to make all updates assessable right off the Web Site instead of going through the Host Provider and Uploading it! That way any Co-Administrator or Moderator could access the site and make changes to something as simple as the Character Profile Section without going through the Host Provider! I also want to change the Contents Page because it is nothing more then a Useless Wall of Text!

I also do not take personal attacks on my character lightly! I have kept my word on everything that I have said I would do for ClassicMarvel.com and I will continue to do so! I love the site and I consider all of the Forum Members as Family, My ClassicMarvel.com Family!!

Now since Aunt_Petunia wants to Discuss this openly so be it! I want the Domain to continue updating this site, I have asked for no help in funds to restore the site, I have done so on my own, and will continue to do so! If you did not want to turn the rights to the site over you should not have and if it was so easy, as you say to restore it, you should have done so for the Forum Members who so dearly cherish it!

I have stated what my plans are for the Site, I will not put anymore Money into updates on the site until I have the Domain! Now if for some reason you have other reasons for keeping the Domain or if you want to be compensated for the Domain, I will Pay for it! If not I will change the Domain to classicmarvelforever.com and make all the Updates....Nuff Said!! smoking smiley

The Skycutter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 04:52PM by The_Skycutter.
Re: Future Plans!
January 12, 2009 06:39PM
Hmmmm, this could get very ugly Im thinking. Its a shame that this all had to be aired publically, but perhaps thats what it will take to resolve this. Best of luck gents (Sky and Auntie), I think you're going to need it.
January 13, 2009 04:03AM
You're running it now. If you have to, change the domain and then AP doesn't haven't to worry about what you're going to do with it. I'm tired of him holding on to everything while not wanting to do any of the work. I say get a whole new domain and move on, regardless of any type of information that may be lost in doing so.

January 13, 2009 04:35AM
I don't really have any idea what the background of this is, but i'm all about no drama. i'd rather that the powers that be find a nice, amicable, and mutually beneficial resolution to this. I think it's fair that every regular contributor here, as well as the lurkers that be all enjoy this site, resource, and community. I think all involved should take that into consideration to find the absolute best way to make the most improvement for the community not not just their indivisdual points of view. Be that handing over the domain, starting a new one, I don't know. but whatever the solution, I don't think this should be a public matter, otherwise the whole thing just devolves into finger pointing and side-choosing.
January 13, 2009 11:22AM
I appreciate the efforts that both AuntP and Skycutter have done to keep this website active over the last three or four years I have been dropping by.

I concur with Capo regarding the no drama approach. Sky, I am sure that AuntP did not mean a personal attack and was merely seeking a way forward they he saw as logical and fair. We all know electronic communication is fraught with miscommunication.

If money is an issue then perhaps I can contribute.

Regards,

SWK
January 13, 2009 01:26PM
Don't close this site please!
January 13, 2009 01:33PM
That, I can promise you, will not happen.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
January 13, 2009 01:40PM
First I would like to say that I agree with each of you; Tystates, CapoCastillo, and SunWuKong! I also cannot stand drama, so there will not be any. A great deal of time and money went into Restoring this site, again thanks to Kevin, and TransEffect! Everything that I have done is for the Forum Members who truly love this site. I would like to keep the original Domain if at all possible, but if I have to, I will change the domain to ClassicMarvelForever.com! I have stated what my plans are for the future, these updates will totally upgrade this site, and before I go any further I would like to have the original domain to make the site complete per my agreement with Aunt_Petunia! I did not expect Aunt_Petunia to act in this manner, I thought he would stand with me, and not against me!

I will even offer Aunt_Petunia to be in on the management decisions with myself and TLD so he can see for himself the direction I have for the site! Now the one thing that is not up for debate is this, TLD runs the Boards, and that is set in stone!

I would also like to Thank SunWuKong personally for his offer to help out with finical issues, but that will not be necessary friend! smoking smiley

The Skycutter

January 14, 2009 01:51AM
I think what Auntie may mean (and by no means will I even attempt to speak for him) is that the site as it is now is pretty much how he left it. I think he wanted to see the site expanded, not just updated (and honestly some of the write-ups certainly could use that).

Let's face it. the write-ups are pretty much the same, the forums are essentialy the same, heck even the color scheme is the same (I liked the red & black version better imho).

What I think you should do is a complete make-over. make the site truly yours to run.

have a link to the old forums for reference but redesign it. Right now the forums are dated and clunky. Modernize that sucker.

Update those Write-ups. Lots has changed in the time since they were done. Include the backgrounds and pics of characters, there are some there that have cut & paste powers referencing the original character, that's just not right.

Get wild and crazy, the video chat (while more for dating sites) is a way to go. I'm more of a fan of java based chat rooms. Brainstorm and get some magic happening.

It's not that you're doing a bad job or mis-managing the site. It's that there is more that can be done with it.

"No where to hide, no place to run. Your village will burn like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
January 14, 2009 03:25AM
As an owner and admin of 3 different forums.....

Sidious, no intended offense but, the basic rule of thumb.... if you want it changed that badly, get involved beyond the suggestion stage.

That is the point of all this. A lot has been accomplished, even if it's not all the shiny bells and whistles a couple people are looking for. Personally, i've seen a lot of forums in larger disarray with 4 times the traffic. This is a solid site, little lag, few bugs, few frustrations. The rest will come in time, but for that... there needs to be people chipping in or some serious motivation. This thread borders inbetween drama and frustration.

i personally hope everything comes together as needed to either carry on the torch or the steps are taken to pick up a new one.

The one and only Moo.
January 14, 2009 03:33AM
All,

I'm brand new to ClassicMarvel.com, but a player of MSH from long ago. I'm not involved with any projects, but I'm not web-smart. I would like to volunteer to help in any way I can. If you need something done that takes a lot of time but can be explained how pretty quickly, please let me know. I work fast when it's needed, and I actually like working with databases.

Tim Schuster
January 14, 2009 07:44AM
caesarmoo Wrote:
> As an owner and admin of 3 different forums.....
>
>
> Sidious, no intended offense but, the basic rule
> of thumb.... if you want it changed that badly,
> get involved beyond the suggestion stage.
>
> That is the point of all this. A lot has been
> accomplished, even if it's not all the shiny bells
> and whistles a couple people are looking for.
> Personally, i've seen a lot of forums in larger
> disarray with 4 times the traffic. This is a solid
> site, little lag, few bugs, few frustrations. The
> rest will come in time, but for that... there
> needs to be people chipping in or some serious
> motivation. This thread borders inbetween drama
> and frustration.
>
> i personally hope everything comes together as
> needed to either carry on the torch or the steps
> are taken to pick up a new one.

Heh, actually I don't care. If it gets done it does. I too have my own site (Classic Marvel RPG) and, while it does lack the amount of write-ups and I need to get my own chat site up, I do all those things.

As I told Auntie when I also offered to take over the board "all I really wanted were the profiles section". It's a P.I.T.A. building 23 years into a new format. And I suspect it will always be a work in progress.

So, no offense, you should check before you shoot down things. smiling smiley

Working on the backend is fine. but it's still not expanding the site. Sorry but that's true.

"No where to hide, no place to run. Your village will burn like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
January 14, 2009 12:08PM
This has nothing to do with the disagreement here, but in the arguing I was inspired to see what it would take to make my own wiki, in the weird idea that my (or anyone else's) online game campaigns should have a wiki on people, places, and things therein.

So, this arguing hasn't been completely pointless, at least to me.

Don't mind me, I just came up for air.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
January 15, 2009 11:02PM
Dead Sidekick,

> This has nothing to do with the disagreement here,
> but in the arguing I was inspired to see what it
> would take to make my own wiki, in the weird idea
> that my (or anyone else's) online game campaigns
> should have a wiki on people, places, and things
> therein.

Interesting you should say that.... Carlos built a Wikipedia for Earth-009 and it turned out very nice. thumbs up

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
January 17, 2009 09:25AM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
> Dead Sidekick,
>
> > This has nothing to do with the disagreement
> here,
> > but in the arguing I was inspired to see what
> it
> > would take to make my own wiki, in the weird
> idea
> > that my (or anyone else's) online game
> campaigns
> > should have a wiki on people, places, and
> things
> > therein.
>
> Interesting you should say that.... Carlos built
> a Wikipedia for Earth-009 and it turned out very
> nice. thumbs up

Wow!

You can always tell if you have a good idea if someone else does it first....

smiling smiley

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
January 18, 2009 12:04PM
seems that folks dont care about me trying to protect this site and it'scontent..

You want it, take it......

you wanna pay me for it.. do it...

That's it, im so over the carp...

U know how to contact me.

Any Sidious, thanx.. that was pretty much my point. (cept for the messageboard bit, that is bit harder)

Out.
January 18, 2009 12:43PM
See my post over in the website/forum revamp section in the profile updates thread for my thoughts about this.

January 18, 2009 07:13PM
Ok having just read the aforementioned thread... I am appalled.

Kevin, I realize you're a business and in it to make money. That's your out.

Skycutter: Tell me, for the love of god, you didn't sign a contract with Transeffects. Please!

Who's doing the hosting? What are these pirates charging you? You're actually paying them to admin your site... are you nuts??? I know I can get you better.

My god man, being told you can't update your own site at will? That's outrageous! Being told that you'll have to pay extra for that feature? You believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you, cheap.

I flat out pay $10 a month for unlimited bandwidth and quite a sizable space. Heh I even have the full DL section.

It looks like you're getting taken to the cleaners. Talk to me, I can make it all better.

(the personal stuff is between y'all and I don't care about it.)

January 23, 2009 11:47AM
Sidious,

One of the reasons I have not went ahead with the new design look for the site is that I did not have the ClassicMarvel.com domain for the site! What is the point of implementing the design only to have the domain taken away, then I would have to start from scratch all over again, and just as I expected from the beginning Aunt_Petunia pulled the domain! smoking smiley

The Skycutter

January 23, 2009 12:17PM
Sidious,

What is your deal? I've spent a ton of time with this site, and I enjoy it. I enjoy fixing it, and building it, and responding to those who use it. Nobody involved here is a pirate. Nobody is paying anybody to admin the site. Skycutter takes care of the admin stuff. I'm here for back-up. I do the programming. The repairs.

Maybe Skycutter could find someone to do this work completely pro bono publico, but it probably wouldn't get finished as quickly, and it comes with no guarantees. With me, I won't give up until he's happy with what he's got, and if I do something, and it breaks, I don't charge for fixing it. I work full-time doing this stuff - it's not like this is my one project, and I'm just sitting here billing, billing, billing Skycutter.

Also, I take orders and suggestions. There are lots of times people have asked for features and favors that I have done, on my own, without billing. That's because I like doing it. But when there is a huge undertaking suggested, like fully restoring the forum archive, then fixing everything wrong with it, I take orders. Skycutter tells me what he wants, and I deliver, plain and simple. I don't know why you seem to be making me out to be the bad guy.

I never once told Skycutter he could not admin his own site, or update it at his will. But this site - all of the code, is poorly put-together, and poorly organized. I would love to get it all cleaned up, but that has not been requested yet - there have been other, more pressing issues. It would be great to integrate it with a robust content management system, but that has not been requested yet. It's not as simple as putting it together for an hour, and BAM, it works. It's just not. So some of these updates are really technical, and that's what the Skycutter trusts me for. The first day we started work on this site, he sat with me for at least ten hours, as I went through tons of installations and repairs, explaining everything along the way. It's not like I'm some faceless person charging whatever I feel like for simple updates.

I never told Skycutter that CMS/CMF/Wiki software would cost money, but integrating this entire site, with it's multiple databases, and hundreds upon hundreds of HTML, PHP, and JS files is not a simple task that can be done in an afternoon! So yeah, if he wanted all the existing content put together cleanly in a Content Management Framework, I would charge for the time it takes to install and integrate. As a professional developer, I'm still trying to figure out why that makes me a bad person. The Skycutter is free to decide with whom he will trust the site. He is not locked into any kind of contract, and he is not professionally obligated to me or my company in any way, shape, or form.

But you ask everyone else how quick and willing I have been to help out with technical issues - items for which I have never billed the Skycutter. Plenty of people will attest to my willingness to go out of my way to troubleshoot their issues. Really, if you want more details about what I do here, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to talk about it in private or in public. The bottom line is, the Skycutter has been totally willing to put money into keeping the community happy and thriving. It's up to the community to decide what more they want, and then for Skycutter to weigh the benefits, and make it happen. There is lots of expansion planned, but Skycutter didn't want to put all the work into it only to be told he can't use the domain anymore. Even if he weren't paying anything for the work being done, it would still be crummy for him not to have the associated domain after sinking peoples' time into it.

And... nobody's taking the Skycutter to the cleaners. I wish you would ask me what the deal is privately before you implicitly, and publicly, accuse me of stealing from my friend and client.

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 02:05PM by kevin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 22
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.