Upcoming Web Site Changes

Posted by Kevin 
September 20, 2009 09:42PM
First, let me start off by saying I've messed with the current layout a bit, and I will be adjusting it in the next day or two. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Second, I'd like to announce that the web site as a whole has finally been retooled to make administration easier on the back end. It will also enable us to more easily add and edit pages on-the-fly, and it should boost our Google search rankings as well. I've recreated most of the pages, and we will be testing it in the next few weeks. As a result of finally integrating this mammoth of a site with a content management system, we will finally be able to get up-to-date profiles. We know this has been a long time coming, and we're happy to finally be in a position to deliver.

The forum will change very little, if at all. Some minor tweaks here and there, and a new navigation bar, only slightly different from the current one. If you would like to see the new site in its current state (it may very well still change), you can check it out at http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/. Please note that no character profiles are there yet. It will take a while to actually get the profiles into the system, because that is mostly a data-entry job, which can be tedious and time-consuming.

As we figure out what work remains to be done, and start delegating tasks, we will keep the users posted on any news. In the meantime, if anyone sees any problems currently, or has any suggestions they would like to make, please feel welcome to bring any of that to our attention.

Also, let me know if you like or dislike the blue background image. I wanted to implement some subtle tweaks to alleviate the "blank space" surrounding the main content area, and this was just one idea. If it murders your eyes, I'm really sorry, and will get it taken care of soon. Again, comments and criticisms are welcome.

Again, if this post poses any inconvenience to anyone, I am sorry for springing it on you without warning!

Edit: I forgot to mention also - the new downloads section has seen some improvements in the file size of some of the PDFs. For instance, we had a PDF that was 91 Megabytes, and after optimizing it, it's now only 12 Megabytes. So some items that were previously nearly impossible to download are now a lot more manageable. Hopefully you'll also notice on the new site that the pages are more organized and readable. We hope to become and remain a lot more user-friendly in the future. We want the users to enjoy reading and participating here. Thanks!

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 09:47PM by Kevin.
Re: Upcoming Web Site Changes
September 21, 2009 04:20AM
Bravo sir,

Thanks to you, the mods, and Skycutter for all of the hard work you've done keeping this resource around for us.
September 21, 2009 04:27AM
A toast to you, Kevin! smileys with beer You've done a lot of hard work in helping the site out, and mostly behind the scenes. You deserve to step out on stage and be recognized for all the effort you've put in. Take a bow, sir. You're doing a fantastic job, and it's greatly appreciated.
September 21, 2009 07:10AM
Might I suggest making profiles for non-comic book characters?
September 21, 2009 07:47AM
September 21, 2009 09:39AM
Thank you again Kevin. You contributions are invaluable.

Formerly YourHumbleServant

2 things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe ~Albert Einstein

People who advocate foolish or dangerous ideas should not be forcibly silenced, but only as a testament to the greatness of the principle of liberty, NOT because the ideas they advocate have any merit whatsoever. ~Thomas Jefferson

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience ~ Mark Twain

Lady Gaga makes Miley Cyrus look like John Lennon ~ Chris Titus

Government that is big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have..History shows that as government grows..liberty decreases. ~ Thomas Jefferson
September 21, 2009 02:59PM
Definitely enjoying the work and much appreciative of it. As a suggestion perhaps for the Heroes and Rogues section we can actually have a Marvel Only selection, since for some odd reason while you can get a DC only list you can't get a Marvel only list.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
September 21, 2009 03:13PM
Interesting you mention that, Nightmask - it's already done smiling smiley

Well, the list isn't populated or anything, but it's already organized that way. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
September 21, 2009 11:40PM
Very cool Work is underway…. And it is much appreciated for those of us who still do Table-Top Games…

I noticed the New TEST Profiles has a segment dedicated to Non-Comic Book Characters…. You gotta add Capo’s Street Fighter Collection and Splat’s City of Heroes Characters to that list as well… With Images…

An Image is worth a million words…

And ‘Image’ Comic Books too….
(I know that’s a SIN…. But Spawn and Violator are ‘COOL’ Twisted Up Carnage Ridden Characters)

I mean log on to the Site and get a FASERIP game Rolling where Spawn fights Bat-Man…
Wait that may have already been done…… So make it Violator -=VS=- Cap’n’America…

Or go ‘OLD SCHOOL’ with Terminator -=VS=- Robo-Cop….
(Remember that whole Dark Horse Trilogy????)

The data entry and content will probably get really hectic really quickly…. But maybe the Authors who wrote-up all those other Canon Characters can send you a ‘Cut N Paste’ note-pad in the format you plan to use….

[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

Anyway, it’s just an idea to kick around so one person doesn’t do ALL the work…. But, then again I’dunno…. There is probably like 10 to 12 guys cracking out HTML Forum code under 1 Admin Account…

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
Expanded MSH Table

MOTÖRHEAD
September 22, 2009 02:47AM
Your efforts are very much appreciated. This site has been a phenomenal find for me.
September 22, 2009 09:36AM
Actually, I've been the only guy coding smiling smiley

However, for migrating Character Profiles, I do believe I'll be enlisting some help.

And thanks, guys, for all the nice things you've been saying!

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
September 22, 2009 01:03PM
I raise a non-alcoholic toast to you and your fine work.

Oh, what the hell..... I chug a quart of Pina Colada in your honor!
September 23, 2009 12:07PM
i really like the blue background.

~This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good...
September 25, 2009 10:44PM
With the new updates coming to Classic Marvel Forever, I’m curious if some of the regular topic posters can be assigned as Forum Moderators to make edits to various Topics…. ????

Or at least let the Author’s be able to edit their own posted Topics….

As an example; I’d like to go in into my Home-Brew Threads and make spelling and grammar corrections…

And many others would probably like to re-word some of their topics as well…

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
Expanded MSH Table

MOTÖRHEAD
September 29, 2009 08:48AM
TankerAce,

It's a good question, and we may know more as we get closer to working out the small details, but basically, the way we'll probably do it initially is have a form for edited submissions and/or error reports. So you would rewrite your post, and submit that through the form, and an Admin or Mod would review it and make the change.

That way we're not overwhelmed with all the changes that everyone makes on their own, because constantly reviewing everyone's edits would really eat up our time and slow down all administrative tasks for the forum and site. Having them submitted via form would serialize the task, bringing some much-needed order to everything.

Any other ideas are welcome, though, so if you think you have a good alternative, by all means, let us know!

Thanks!

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
December 28, 2009 01:03PM
Nice work, Kevin; it's good someone was willing to do all that.

What I'd like to see (or find, if it already exists) is the "Log In" remember me feature so I don't have to resign in every week.

Thanks!

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 18
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.