Possible Profile Updates?

Posted by Redman II 
Possible Profile Updates?
October 27, 2008 03:45PM
If SkyCutter or The Last Duskblade were able and willing to update the site with newer histories, images and profiles for various characters, would the community be willing to help out by hunting down images and histories and submitting writeups for consideration?

If this does present itself as a possibility, would there be a preference for focusing on more mainstream and modern characters, or would folks be interested in potential writeups for lesser known or past characters? Also, would there be a preference for focusing on Marvel and DC characters, or would folks like to also see more writeups for Image, Malibu, or other characters?

Just an idea for possibly adding to the site smiling smiley
Re: Possible Profile Updates?
October 27, 2008 04:27PM
Redman II,

I've spoke with Skycutter about this very thing, as recently as last week, and I can tell you that right now it's a long shot. This is one of the first things we wanted to do with Classic Marvel when we started, but The Skycutter has already put several thousand dollars into the site, and won't be making anymore major changes without the Classic Marvel domain name, as per the agreement he made with Aunt Petunia.

That being said, it does not keep us from being prepared. Anyone who wanted to submit a write-up and/or artwork (original or otherwise), is welcome to e-mail me at the address in my profile here on Classic Marvel. I'll be keeping a database of these character sheets, so that when we have the domain name, we're ready to make a ton of changes right away. You can also feel free to simply post them on them here on the board, and we can move them to the Profile section later.

Also, The Skycutter has close to 100 write-ups all ready prepared to upload to the website, plus a number of other goodies. However, right now there is more money that needs to go into the site before it will be logistically, and fiscally functional to take on such a project, and as I said: We are waiting on the Classic Marvel domain before that happens.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
October 29, 2008 04:13PM
Okay. Thanks for the info. smiling smiley
January 07, 2009 07:38AM
May not be too hard to implement some sort of internal content management system and delegate profile updating privileges to a certain user - then it can be updated as desired by those in the community instead of having to focus all of the time and money to have a single person sit for hours updating profiles. The biggest problem would be agreeing on formatting and image sizes so that there is total consistency throughout the profiles...and possibly a way to indicate on each page which has been updated already to "Profile 2.0"... but it's doable anyways.

Or users can just start a new thread with said profile updates, and they can be integrated into the proper pages later, as time and money allows. The main thing is finding the balance between user happiness, and admin costs. Not always as easy as it sounds.

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
January 11, 2009 04:02PM
let me add my bit in here.. when i handed over classicmarvel i was and still am happy to hand over the domain. one clause was to see that the site not turn over to advertising/money pandering systems. At this time, there have been no improvements. Everything is as i turned over.

I uploaded the site
I gave the locations and instructions on all freeware used.
Costs should be negligable (for hosting). Personally, i cannot see where these large sums have been spent (and i dont expect an itemisation), i find it hard to see where any real effort or substantial outlay has occured. Again, i will not hand over the domain until some real effort has been made on continuing the site.

Heck its easy to add some new writeups, its easy to uploaded new images. These are not cost restrictive activites. Heck, goto hotscripts.com, grab a wiki//content management system and get it running in less than 60 minutes... add 10 more to streamline into the site design. This is not a complex site. I built this site with no knowledge of php/html/java or databases, just a willingness and a desire to share. It seems that the new administrator may not have that vision and i would rather the site was relocated to another domain or die than have it mismanaged in such a way with constant claims of huge investment and my unwilligness to hand over the domain as the cause of stagnation.

PS: Im not here for arguements, im not in for debate. This is the situation. Im not handing it over till something positive is done, thats it, all there is too it. Take it as you will.
January 12, 2009 10:32AM
Okay...

As for the site being simply coded, Skycutter literally paid thousands of dollars to fix the code of this site. The code was so messed up, it wasn't loading anymore. Remember how people weren't able to log in? Now, after paying all that money (out of his own pocket, mind you) why would he want to update the site to bigger, better, and more interactive if he doesn't have the domain name? What stops someone taking everything back and taking the claim to fame after he updates the site?

You didn't want to run the site anymore. That's fine. You gave it to someone who is more than qualified and passionate enough to do it. If you don't want to give him the domain name, that's fine. However, don't start dragging Skycutter down for everything he's done out of the good of his heart (and wallet) for this community.

It isn't constant claims, it's the truth.

TAG

PS - I can't think of anything more positive than making the site work again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 10:35AM by ThatArtGuy.
January 13, 2009 03:59PM
The code was kept simple for a reason and still remains so today (ive checked and nothing has changed, heck even the meta tags remain unchanged).

The only thing that has changed in the mesageboard/phorum. The login issue appears resolved by a reinstallation of the software and no real recording is done there either.

If he paid thousand dollars or even any, i say he got ripped off.

And to answer the question wots to stop me taking to glory if he doesnt have the domain.. the code and the database.. i dont have them, pure and simple. And again, if the operator(s) dont like my terms, move off the domain and ill gladly keep it. I gave up the site and all the years of hard work on faith, you/he should have some too.
January 13, 2009 04:08PM
Since I know nothing about internet code, and Skycutter has paid Kevin a load of cash to work on the website, perhaps Kevin from TransEffect should weight in here and help clear the air on what the problems have been and what costs have been incurred. Skycutter is not an expert at fixing code, or he would have done it himself, so having the expert speak on it may make it clearer for everyone. Just an idea.... cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
January 14, 2009 09:54AM
again.. i don't really care if he weigh's in, i dont care about costs incurred. The idea of giving away the site was to keep it alive for the community let it grow. Now sure its alive but certainly not growing. It not a debat, its not an arguement. Its nothing... The end result is the current op wont do a damn thing till he gets the domain. I aint giving him the domain til he does something. My point is it's not a hard task to do something, change the meta tags, change the welcome page, add some new content.

Oh, Oh, i hear you say, your gonna steal it back... let me make this clear "I DO NOT WANT IT". I gave it away cause i dont have the time to care for it, which appears the new op doesnt either.

End result, DO SOMETHING to validate my selection. Hell, when i gave it away i was told he viewed himself as caretaker, i dont, i view him as owner. I do not want it... Is that clear.. Fix it, update it, change it.... Make it a nice place for the community that has been built here.

I really hope this has gotten through. This seems to have degenerated into something i really hoped wouldnt happen. I'm a very sad panda
January 14, 2009 11:35AM
If you view Skycutter as owner, then why doesn't he have to domain name? Right now, he is considered a second party without it.
January 15, 2009 02:04PM
Let me spell it out in simple terms... HE HAS NOT EARNT IT.. read the previous post..

Im over it... I will not be back.
January 18, 2009 12:39PM
See ya. I'm tired of your requirements for someone to use your stuff. If you are that protective of it, you shouldn't have given it away. I'm tired of hearing this crap from you. I don't think you did very much updating of the main website the last few years. I never saw anything new. Now days, I don't look at the main content very much. The board is the best thing about this place and that can be made anywhere else on the web. Take everything back and Sky can start his own domain and we'll be done listening to you complain.

January 23, 2009 09:30AM
I reopened the topic to respond.

As far as the politics with Aunt Petunia, all I know is what I'm told. As far as what he's said, he's right that much of the layout hasn't changed. Nor has much of the code. However, Skycutter has talked to me several times about what it would take to fully redesign the site. Most of it is not super complicated, but it certainly would be time-consuming. I own and operate a real business. I have negotiated an hourly rate to work on this web site, and I'm quite familiar with how it all works now, but it doesn't always make the issues easier to iron out.

I've worked very much and very closely with Skycutter, and I've done plenty of donated work on this site. However, for the most part, I am paid for the time I spend troubleshooting and repairing the site. Aunt Petunia seems to be ignoring the fact that a lot of the money put into this project has been to get it back up and going flawlessly. He doesn't seem to understand the time and work it took to repair the old database, then integrate it alongside the new one. He doesn't seem to understand that different web hosts deal differently with different software. MySQL and PHP on GoDaddy isn't always going to be the same as PHP/MySQL on Hostmonster, where the site is currently hosted.

There have been issues, and as far as I know, most or all of those issues have been fixed. There have been feature requests, and many of those feature requests have been added. Skycutter has been putting money into getting the community back together, and Aunt Petunia is complaining that the front page hasn't changed? He's right that it wouldn't take much to change the content of the front page, but I haven't really heard anyone asking or complaining about the general site being updated, until the last few months when someone asked about the profiles.

No matter what, it's not as simple as snapping your fingers and having it all done. Everyone working in the background to keep this site and this community going is willing to talk about what changes should be made, whether they be layout alterations, feature requests, or additional coding.

Aunt Petunia can say whatever he wants about how Skycutter doesn't deserve the domain, but we've only come this far because Skycutter wanted to see this through. It was my understanding from the beginning that this was way more about the community than about the site itself, so to complain about silly things like meta tags and layout seems ridiculous. If that's what Aunt Petunia really wanted to see, he should have made it more clear, because it can happen. But I think Skycutter not wanting to continue having professional work done on the site until he has the proper domain for it is pretty reasonable, considering he's gotten it this far, and it's still not proof enough (for Aunt Petunia) that he cares. It might seem that no matter what he does, Aunt Petunia will continue to provide an obstacle, or some example of why things aren't good enough to have the original domain.

Anyways, I'm open to anyone's questions. I hope that helps explain most of it though.

p.s. Aunt Petunia removed the classicmarvel.com domain, which is costing Skycutter more money, as we go through and alter the files and database to take out references to classicmarvel.com, and change them all to classicmarvelforever.com.

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 10:43AM by kevin.
January 23, 2009 01:20PM
So what else is new? eye rolling smiley

TAG
January 23, 2009 07:23PM
I know that may not mean much from a relatively new person to the forum, but i used to lurk here quite a while ago, and i do remember some of the problems with the site. In fact it was the problems with the old site that stopped me from being a regular here...
All I can say is thanks for your hard work and effort in this matter. Most of us here do appreciate what you've done and have noticed the improved effeciency, and lack of glitches.

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
January 24, 2009 03:40AM
I doubt anyone's surprised at this point that everything had to be fully switched over to the CMF address, almost makes me wish it'd been done far sooner but had to give Aunt_Petunia time to be fair about giving up the original address. At least we can forget that baggage and get all those improvements that have been on hold all this time moving forward instead of circling the airport never getting to land as it were.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
January 26, 2009 09:03AM
I know it doesn't mean much, but thanks AuntP for all your work over the years. It's a pity things didn't work out.

Let's move forward. Cutter, if you need help, holler.

SWK
January 26, 2009 08:31PM
Redman II Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If SkyCutter or The Last Duskblade were able and
> willing to update the site with newer histories,
> images and profiles for various characters, would
> the community be willing to help out by hunting
> down images and histories and submitting writeups
> for consideration?
>
> If this does present itself as a possibility,
> would there be a preference for focusing on more
> mainstream and modern characters, or would folks
> be interested in potential writeups for lesser
> known or past characters? Also, would there be a
> preference for focusing on Marvel and DC
> characters, or would folks like to also see more
> writeups for Image, Malibu, or other characters?
>
> Just an idea for possibly adding to the site smiling smiley

I wouldnt mind contributing to the updates by finding pictures and bio info. Also Im interested in many of those alternative writeups you mentioned Red, Image, Malibu, obscure characters. I'd be happy to work on those as well.
January 26, 2009 09:42PM
If you're planning to upgrade the bio-s and stats... I'd find it useful if there will be archives, where I can find the heroes older stats, for example Spidey - starter stats, Spidey - in the Secret Wars, Spidey - with the Spider Totem power, etc.

all of us runs their game on various timelines, so I think it'd be a great help for everyone.

thoughts ?

Dae
January 27, 2009 04:23AM
I like that idea, have the younger versions of the X-men, the FF when they just start, things like that, and then show their progressions in power levels throughout the years.

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
January 27, 2009 05:46PM
Daelon Wrote:
> If you're planning to upgrade the bio-s and
> stats... I'd find it useful if there will be
> archives, where I can find the heroes older stats,
> for example Spidey - starter stats, Spidey - in
> the Secret Wars, Spidey - with the Spider Totem
> power, etc.
>
> all of us runs their game on various timelines, so
> I think it'd be a great help for everyone.
>
> thoughts ?
>
> Dae

I think you and Chronomaster have made some excellent points there. It would be pretty cool to include that stuff in an archive. Wish Id thought of that.
January 27, 2009 08:26PM
Mr Happy Wrote:
> Daelon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you're planning to upgrade the bio-s and
> > stats... I'd find it useful if there will be
> > archives, where I can find the heroes older
> stats,
> > for example Spidey - starter stats, Spidey - in
> > the Secret Wars, Spidey - with the Spider Totem
> > power, etc.
> >
> > all of us runs their game on various timelines,
> so
> > I think it'd be a great help for everyone.
> >
> > thoughts ?
> >
> > Dae
>
>
> I think you and Chronomaster have made some
> excellent points there. It would be pretty cool to
> include that stuff in an archive. Wish Id thought
> of that.

Given time i know you would have. but you've been busy with public and community service

Such things as flashing Emma's... assets around with smiley faces covering the naughty bits and the like Keep up the good work smileys with beergrinning smiley .
January 28, 2009 11:21AM
Chronomancer Wrote:
> Given time i know you would have. but you've been
> busy with public and community service
>
> Such things as flashing Emma's... assets around
> with smiley faces covering the naughty bits and
> the like Keep up the good work smileys with beergrinning smiley .

Its what I do. tongue sticking out smiley
January 28, 2009 12:07PM
And you do it well.

It's always nice to find people who take pride in their job

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 25
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.