Wow spambot in the Campaign forum!

Posted by Nightmask 
Wow spambot in the Campaign forum!
December 25, 2015 07:19PM
Wow that is one serious spam bot in the Campaign Updates forum, like 68 individual posts filled with random words with webpage links. Guess the 'improved' security that makes me have to log in every time just to post isn't doing so hot.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: Wow spambot in the Campaign forum!
December 25, 2015 08:44PM
Cleaning it up now...

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 25, 2015 09:01PM
Done. 86 messages deleted.

Who left the door open and let the bot in here??

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 28, 2015 01:18PM
Spambot sound like a new villian!!
January 04, 2016 08:26AM
Because I didn't get to see any of the posts, can anyone describe the type of content/links in the post, and what user name was posting that stuff?

It could be that someone's account got hacked, though that's unlikely. It could also be a spambot that is able to legitimately log in and solve the antispam tests. It could even be that a blackhat SEO company hired a bunch of "mechanical turks" at $1.00 per hour to manually log in and create posts with backlinks to different products/web pages.

I can't know without having some more details, though, so if anyone can provide me some information in that regard, it would be very helpful.

Thanks! And of course I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
January 04, 2016 12:43PM
I should have left one intact. They were all the same message, but it was so full of junk that I didn't really think to commit anything to memory.

January 05, 2016 01:04AM
Kevin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because I didn't get to see any of the posts, can
> anyone describe the type of content/links in the
> post, and what user name was posting that stuff?
>
> It could be that someone's account got hacked,
> though that's unlikely. It could also be a spambot
> that is able to legitimately log in and solve the
> antispam tests. It could even be that a blackhat
> SEO company hired a bunch of "mechanical turks" at
> $1.00 per hour to manually log in and create posts
> with backlinks to different products/web pages.
>
> I can't know without having some more details,
> though, so if anyone can provide me some
> information in that regard, it would be very
> helpful.
>
> Thanks! And of course I'm very sorry for the
> inconvenience.

The most I remember is that the name was three letters (all consonants I think) and the body of test was probably several pages at least of words that had hyper-links associated with small (two to four word) blocks of text to a wide range of web pages that while I never looked were either for sites like Nike or were virus sites using URL that were similar to but not actual official sites for the products in question.

I don't remember ever seeing the name before and don't remember it having more posts to it than the hyper-link posts.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
January 09, 2016 02:20AM
I think, not certain but think that the user's ID of the spambot was 'mlp'

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 40
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.