Missing Post in the Archived Forum

Posted by The_Skycutter 
Missing Post in the Archived Forum
April 28, 2008 04:36AM
It has been brought to my attention that there are missing post in the the Archived Forum. Unfortunately that is the way Aunt_Petunia sent the forum data base. I will ask TransEffect to look into the problems will the archived forum. I will also contact Aunt_P about the issue, until then I'm afraid that nothing can be done at this time. smoking smiley

The Cutter

Re: Missing Post in the Archived Forum
April 28, 2008 11:06AM
Hey guys,

Just to set the record straight, the database, I believe, was turned over properly, and contains all the necessary data, and it is likely the importing process that has broken some of the posts with picture content. There's an issue with character encoding guesswork, and I've done the best I can given the resources we've got. My company has been getting this site back up and running (in conjunction with The Skycutter), and The Skycutter has been paying to have the work done.

Currently, all I can do to alleviate the issues is re-import the database. However, there can be several outcomes: 1) Everything could be fixed; 2) Everything could break; 3) Some things that are broken will be fixed, and some things that are fixed will be broken.

The only way to repair certain posts is to open up the database, and manually import just those posts into the database (if I can guess the correct character encoding). However, it's a time-consuming and costly process. I recommend leaving as-is for now, and if there are any posts that are vitally important, we can possibly try to recover them on a case-by-case basis at a later date.

If the database were smaller, it may not be as big a headache, but if any of you have worked with a text file that is in excess of 150 megabytes, you'll know what I mean.

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 28, 2008 11:24AM
Appreciate the info, guys. I was afraid it might be something wrong with the database, and I agree that it's better not to risk the chunk that we have now for the "maybe" of recovering something else.

Hopefully the lost character writeups and other important posts that were lost have been saved along the way by the authors, so we'll ideally be able to look forward to those being reposted in the new forums.

Thanks again to the whole crew (Aunt P, Skycutter, TLD, Kevin, and anyone I've missed) for starting, continuing, and reviving this site. smileys with beer
April 28, 2008 01:22PM
I just want the Forum Community here at Classic Marvel Forever to know, that I'm willing to do what needs to be done to make this site better then it ever was! TransEffect has totally rebuilt the Contents Page, Forum Message Boards, and the Archived Forum Data Base.

Kevin and his company TransEffect have put a lot of time into restoring ClassicMarvel.com, if there is any way possible to fix the current issue with the Archived Data Base it will happen. But as Kevin has already stated, it could all be restored, or we could lose the entire Archived data base! I have always said that the members control this Forum, so I will leave it up to you the Community to vote on what happens next!?! smoking smiley

The Cutter

April 28, 2008 05:27PM
I say leave it alone. No reason to risk losing more or all of it just for some random posts that got lost in the transition. I also think the reposting of messages from the archive onto the new forums should be stopped.

April 28, 2008 05:36PM
Nothing wrong with posting Favorites and character writeups that were lost due to problems with the database. After all, somebody looking through the archived database might be curious about a writeup that was lost.
April 28, 2008 05:47PM
Well without a means of ensuring reimporting it will restore what's been lost odds are redoing it won't get us back what we've lost, so better to wait until there's a cure found for the problem and better guarantee its recovery.

As far as anyone posting in the new forums favored threads from the old forums goes or ones that have gone missing I don't see what the problem is with it. If people are benefiting from them or can benefit from them then it's good for everyone. Plus for things that have been lost at present from the old database due to its odd formatting problems anyone who has the material should be free to repost it to the new forums.

Moving popular or more critical threads from the old forums to the new forums can also make it easier for people to find the material and hopefully contribute fresh new insights at the same time.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 29, 2008 08:08AM
If only posts that are missing are being reposted, ok, but I don't think that is the case. It's not just the your favorites threads either, it's other sections as well.

April 29, 2008 08:10AM
If a post is there in the archive I see no reason to move it to the new forum. It's just drudging up old information.

April 30, 2008 02:45AM
I agree with Tystates, if a post is missing from the Archived Forum, repost the missing topic to the New Forum. But if the post already exist in the Archived Forum, it is redundant to repost it to the New Forum! smoking smiley

The Cutter

April 30, 2008 01:40PM
It's still being done. I don't need to see everything that's in the archive put up here.

April 30, 2008 02:28PM
Not necessarily, there are some threads that are fairly open-ended or someone would find a desire to post their own view on yet can't with it in the archives so it has to migrate to the current forums. There will always be fresh ideas for the Battle Royale thread for example and the issues of what's an acceptable level of game play or what's too powerful will always be around. While not all of them by any stretch should migrate over some do have valid reasons for being reposted to the new forums. If NBC restarts Heroes for example that thread will end up migrating as well.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.