More help on copyrights needed please

Posted by Fangs 
More help on copyrights needed please
October 10, 2009 12:11AM
Hi all,
I seem to remember one way to prove ownership of your work was to post the originals with a date and maybe a time written on it an post it to yourself and then just label and store the item when you receive it but never open it until you need it in court.

Does this method work in both Australia and America?

Is there any other methods available for people to copyright protect their works?
Re: More help on copyrights needed please
October 12, 2009 07:42PM
It really doesn't hold up in court even though it's a prevalently shared idea. The problem comes when trying to prove when the envelope was postmarked. An envelope can be postmarked without the envelope being closed. Therefore, you can actually have postmarked envelopes in your office for years, create something, and place it in the envelope from all those years prior.

The only way to make sure something is copyrighted is to submit the item to the copyright offices of the countries you want to copyright them in. You also might want to do some more research as some countries also recognize copyrights from other countries they have agreements with.

TAG
November 11, 2009 01:28AM
TAG, I found your info on the old posted letter trick very interesting.

Question: as of right now- how much does it cost to copyright something?
November 11, 2009 03:42PM
G.A.W.
TAG, I found your info on the old posted letter trick very interesting.

Question: as of right now- how much does it cost to copyright something?

There are three (3) methods of registering, with different cost for each basic claim: Online System {$35}, Registration with Fill-In Form CO {$50}, and Registration with Paper Forms {$65}. For more information on methods of registering & payments, here is your link...
[www.copyright.gov]

The Cutter

December 15, 2009 04:52PM
The_Skycutter
There are three (3) methods of registering, with different cost for each basic claim: Online System {$35}, Registration with Fill-In Form CO {$50}, and Registration with Paper Forms {$65}. For more information on methods of registering & payments, here is your link...
[www.copyright.gov]

What does all that mean? In layman's terms, what's the best way to go about copyrighting a character as intellectual property?

December 16, 2009 01:26PM
Punstarr, for me the easiest way to register a character was with Registration with Paper Forms {$65}. I was able to make all the physical copies that I needed for my records, plus I mailed it off with a delivery conformation. I really did not want to worry about a computer error, when sending off my copyrighted material. smoking smiley

The Cutter

December 17, 2009 06:44AM
Thanks, Cutter!

February 15, 2011 01:23PM
Folks,

I've copyrighted works for my job. I mean, I personally don't get too worried if someone uses a photo I've taken or a story I've written (as long as they mention me or my publisher as being the source... I have had stuff "borrowed" by other media outlets, and it is emotionally painful) but the editors and publishers get really pissed off every time.

So I'm not sure if this will work, or if it's valid, but for me, I've not had a problem because my way of getting a copyright is to actually publish the material.

I don't even think it has to be through a top of the line publisher. If we want something protected, we say "Copyright 2011, Ottumwa Courier," print it in the paper and that seems to do the trick. So... by extension, if you were to publish independently, would that count? Or through an established small press indie comic company?

If your stuff is good, and you were willing to pay part of the costs, maybe you'd get a one-sheet out, or a pamphlet or, now, here's an idea, someone could have a comic or magazine of 42 pages with 40 artists each able to get a one page story in, with perhaps one or two characters. Or maybe 20 artists getting two pages (a "broadsheet") so people would actually read the thing. Artists could still pay toward it as a way of getting it printed and ensuring protection for their characters, and you'd get the character out there in front of a few hundred people.

Mark

PS Of course, I don't draw comics. Most of my "published" photos are of community events, weather-related activities, or the occasional murder scene, and my writing is just articles about current or future taxes, budgets, education mandates and health care changes (maybe a column every few months), so I may not be talking your langauge. But maybe this will kick off an idea or two.

PPS I don't normally bother mentioning this because most of my work is so mundane, but if you're interested, Google "mark newman" and Ottumwa (my town in the USA). Or maybe "mark Newman" and Ottumwa and Shooting (or murder!) for the more interesting (in a sad way) stories. I don't think someone could just steal them and call them theirs.
January 31, 2012 11:06PM
Thank you for posting this topic, it has been very helpful.
November 11, 2012 04:23PM
Something everyone might want to be aware of. In the United States only the fluff part, background and story, of an RPG or its derivatives can be copyrighted. Rules and stats are considered a process.

As far as this applies to characters, things like name physical description unique twists on how a power operates. etc. can be copyrighted. The actual stats, FASERIP, part of the character, including secondary attributes, are part of the rules and therefore are not subject to copyright.
November 11, 2012 05:27PM
Thanks for the 411.
And welcome to the forum.
May 15, 2013 04:23PM
A little late to the party, but something else to remember: copyright applies to written bodies of work. If you have a character with a distinctive image, logo, and/or name, then that falls under trademark law. Trademarking is slightly different in how it works in court. For one thing, if you do not actively defend any infringements on your trademark once it can be reasonably proven that you should be aware of it, then you can be considered to have abandonned it and it will be in the public domain and up for grabs.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
August 16, 2019 12:51AM
Its a quite good topic.
August 16, 2019 06:02AM
You seriously revived a 6 year old thread?
August 16, 2019 09:12AM
August 19, 2019 07:18AM
LamiaMortis
Something everyone might want to be aware of. In the United States only the fluff part, background and story, of an RPG or its derivatives can be copyrighted. Rules and stats are considered a process.

As far as this applies to characters, things like name physical description unique twists on how a power operates. etc. can be copyrighted. The actual stats, FASERIP, part of the character, including secondary attributes, are part of the rules and therefore are not subject to copyright.

Process is covered under Patent law. Does anyone familiar with game design know if the creators ever file patents on their rules and stats?
August 22, 2019 04:17AM
"Process" would cover how you do something, like Subways method of creating sandwiches.

"Process" does not cover something like

Step 1: Roll dice
Step 2: compare results to a table

You also can't trademark common terms like Strength, Reason, Intuition, etc.

Rules cannot be copyrighted, but specific terms and creative content can be.

September 16, 2019 09:08AM
Jubilee4
You seriously revived a 6 year old thread?

Always and forever. Refresher intel is always good
September 18, 2019 01:43PM
barna10
You also can't trademark common terms like Strength, Reason, Intuition, etc.

I think it bears repeating that Marvel once had Clark Kent and Lois Lane show up in an issue of Thor to cover some news story, looking pretty much as they did in DC Comics at the time and even referring to each other by name. They didn't ask (or didn't have to) for permission. And this goes back to my post above about trademarks needing to be legally distinct.

The name "Superman" is unique in that it stands out as an original creation in the English language in it's combined form of super + man as a single word. The term "super man" was obviously used well before the Superman character, but that character defined the single word name and DC owns the trademark on it.

This applies to the common terms as Barna points out. Anything public domain or part of common language cannot be trademarked because it either belongs to the public domain or does not meet the criteria for legally distinct. A good example of this is the donut franchise, Dunkin Donuts. They own the trademark to that name (and their logo) because the words "Dunkin" and "Donuts" differ from the common usage words of dunking and doughnuts. It's why any business with unusual word spellings does that, because then no one can copy them to make money off the image and reputation that Dunkin Donuts established.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 25, 2023 08:44AM
Public Domain Day is coming up - more creative work going into the public for use!!

[web.law.duke.edu].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 54
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.