A Karma Problem

Posted by Daniel 
A Karma Problem
May 23, 2008 05:08AM
One of the things that really bugs me about the FASERIP (and the 4C System, since it brought in this legacy untouched) system is how Karma does double duty, being used for enhancing my actions at the table, but also for character development. I hate that the system forces me to (to quote Luke Crane) "be awesome at the moment or be awesome as I grow." I would like to change that, but I'm stumped how.

How about you all, do you find this double use of Karma to be annoying? Does it affect the way characters behave at the table (some hoard for improvement, while others are always bringing the bleeding-edge awesome but never improve)? Have you done something about it, and if so, what?

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Games
www.highmoon-games.com
Re: A Karma Problem
May 23, 2008 05:22AM
Well this question should be moved to the Discussion section rather than Your Favorites but yes that is a problem, and 3rd edition introduced a similar problem for characters that craft magic items by requiring them to spend experience points to make them so unlike everyone else they suffer slower growth and impeded advancement if they want to build stuff. If the karma costs weren't so high for advancement of a stat it probably wouldn't be as much of a problem as it is and likely some do hoard the karma because of that expense and hope that the dice don't bring them down.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 23, 2008 05:27AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well this question should be moved to the
> Discussion section rather than Your Favorites

I totally did not realize what forum I was in. Hopefully a mod will move it.

So it IS a problem in general, not just me. Now we just gotta figure out a solution.

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Games
www.highmoon-games.com
May 23, 2008 05:41AM
Just PM an admin to move it and I'd say adjusting what the costs are for advancing in the game would help, or some kind of non-karma means of advancement house rules to allow for a little boost to the growth rate without it being too rapid.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 29, 2008 07:11AM
I personally like it. but that's after i tweaked the advancement system so it made more sense. And yeah some players hoard karma so they can advance, and others will spend to insure momentary success. But as long as the advancement ranges are put in a more reasonable measure, the system works pretty well.
May 29, 2008 08:22AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> likely some do hoard the karma because of that
> expense and hope that the dice don't bring them
> down.

That's me to a tee. I never spend karma for dice rolls.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 19
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.