Homegrown character game. Read the rules.

Posted by Taarna 
Homegrown character game. Read the rules.
May 28, 2008 02:30PM
How about this for a homegrown character game? Each person who wants to play and create a character gets 500 points. The result should be a high end hero or villain.

They can be spent on FACERIP, Powers, *Weapons, *Battle Suits, Talents, Resoruces, and Contacts.

Here is how the cyber points can be spent:

On FACERIP, no score above Monstrous. Only one score can be Monstrous, and the next two highest scores are capped at Amazing. The rest can of the ability scores can be what ever you choose up to Incredible. Cost on FACRIP is the ability score. Example Excellent is 20, and Monstrous is 75.

For Powers you can pick your own with a rank up to Unearthly. It costs 25 points to buy a power above the Amazing rank and after the power costs the power rank. Powers are caped at Unearthly. Examples. An UN-Earthly power cost 25 points, then 100 for 125 total points. A Monstrous power costs 25 points, then 75 for a total of 100 points. An Amazing power cost 50. An incredible power costs 40 points. A Remarkable power costs 30 points. An excellent power costs 20 points, etc...

For Weapons ( Offensive, defense, rings, Rods, wands, and such ) they cost a power rank to buy one. Maxim rank material strength is Unearthly. Example an Unearthly weapon costs 100. A Monstrous weapon costs 75. An amazing weapon costs 50.

If you want to give your weapon a power, the cost is only the only the power rank. Maxim power rank for a weapon is UN-Earthly. Example if you want an amazing material sword that shoots flame with the rank of amazing, the cost is 50 for the weapon, and 50 for the power for a total of 100 points. If you want an incredible material ring that has invisibility with the rank of Remarkable, the cost is only 70 points. Understood?

For Battle suits ( you must buy this talent first, talents cost 15 points ). The material strength costs the Power rank and grants body armor vs physical attacks. Material for a suit is capped at Amazing. The technological powers also cost the power rank with a maxim rank of Monstrous. Example an amazing suit material with the ability to fly at excellent speeds costs 50 for the suit, and 20 to fly, for a total of 70 points. If you want juice up the suit and add a laser with the rank of incredible, the cost would be an extra 40 points, or a total of 110 points. Does this make sense?

For Talents, it costs 15 points to buy one. Pick as many as you like, but choose wisely.

For Resoruces, they cost double the rank and are capped at Incredible. Example, if you want a rich hero or Villian, chose Incredible resources, and spend 80 points. Or if you want to live in a low rent housing complex, select poor resources and spend only 8 points. For the real cheap players pick feeble resoruces ( 4 points ) and live at home with mom and dad.

For Contacts a major demi god costs 25. A major hero or vilain costs 10. A minor hero or villain costs 5. A major corporation or politician costs 5. You don't have to spend any points here.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 01:00PM by Taarna.
Re: Homegrown character game. Read the rules.
May 28, 2008 02:43PM
First I want a roll call of posters who want in.
May 28, 2008 06:12PM
I'm definitely in. If I can whip something up as good as my Barrage character with 200 points, who knows what I can do with 500.
May 29, 2008 12:44AM
Thanks Nitro. Let's wait a bit to see who wants " in ". Maybe we can start posting them in a week.
May 29, 2008 01:42AM
You probably should have an admin move this thread to the Discussion section since that's where it'd be more suitable for, as far as the actual character construction goes you don't cover Invulnerabilities and the cost for talents is extremely high, especially considering talents haven't anywhere near the range a power does. The most a talent should cost is around 10 otherwise you tend to end up with unskilled brutes more from game mechanics (I can get more out of that 25 putting it towards a Remarkable power) than by choice. Not too bad otherwise although the point costs for items seems a bit high basing it on the MS of the item considering they're generally an item that can be taken or removed from a hero unlike powers, half cost would still be pretty good in such cases.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 29, 2008 01:47AM
This is the appropriate place for this thread.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 29, 2008 03:02AM
Oh, also forgot to mention, what about Resource Ranks? I don't see purchase costs for them covered.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 29, 2008 12:32PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You probably should have an admin move this thread
> to the Discussion section since that's where it'd
> be more suitable for, as far as the actual
> character construction goes you don't cover
> Invulnerabilities and the cost for talents is
> extremely high, especially considering talents
> haven't anywhere near the range a power does. The
> most a talent should cost is around 10 otherwise
> you tend to end up with unskilled brutes more from
> game mechanics (I can get more out of that 25
> putting it towards a Remarkable power) than by
> choice. Not too bad otherwise although the point
> costs for items seems a bit high basing it on the
> MS of the item considering they're generally an
> item that can be taken or removed from a hero
> unlike powers, half cost would still be pretty
> good in such cases.

I am OK with lowering the cost of talents from 25 to 15. I'll let the other poster ring in on this. Some talents make a big difference.

Keep in mind a POWER cost 2x the ability rank, so a Remarkable Power costs 60. And an Unearthly Power would cost 200!

I did not think of Resoruces. But since you asked, let's say say they cost double the the rank, and are capped at Amazing. If you want a bill Gates super hero or Villian, spend some money ( 100 of your points ) here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 12:35PM by Taarna.
May 29, 2008 12:35PM
Just an observation - why make powers have a multiplier for cost? Why not just make them 1 for 1 like everything else and adjust your total point alotment?
May 29, 2008 01:10PM
I'll let this play out some before I jump in, but I'm definitely interested!
May 29, 2008 02:08PM
CapoCastillo Wrote:
> Just an observation - why make powers have a
> multiplier for cost? Why not just make them 1 for
> 1 like everything else and adjust your total point
> alotment?

Because in my judgment the power rank of a power is king in a role-playing game. If I had it 1 fo1, a hero or villain can have 4 separate Unearthly powers!

IMO, this is a bit much. You can pick your own power/powers, but it costs double the power rank. With 500 points to spend, this seems fair.
May 29, 2008 06:37PM
Well, I am basically done my character. He just needs some background and touch-up but boy do I know how to abuse the write ups of the ultimate powers book and this site's ultimate powers list combined with Taarna's rules. My guy's not too bright but he could take out the Hulk no problem and maybe even the Silver Surfer with some difficulty.
May 29, 2008 07:15PM
In that case you just set a rank limit for bought powers instead of pricing all powers at double cost to 'squeeze down' the ranks. Double cost for a range of powers is pretty excessive given how limited or simple they are (I mean really double cost for Hyper-Leaping or Hyper-Swimming?) and would tend to channel people into a limited range of powers that are either super-good even at low ranks or super-versatile to make up for not having access to a range of powers (like Telekinesis or Telepathy to be able to power stunt like crazy).

-- Peter David

May 30, 2008 12:32AM
Nitro Wrote:
> Well, I am basically done my character. He just
> needs some background and touch-up but boy do I
> know how to abuse the write ups of the ultimate
> powers book and this site's ultimate powers list
> combined with Taarna's rules. My guy's not too
> bright but he could take out the Hulk no problem
> and maybe even the Silver Surfer with some
> difficulty.

Hold you horses on posting him! I want a few more people to join in.

Also, for some *cosmic powers, *life/death related powers, or powers with an " * " next to it on this site, I might make them cost triple the power rank, and cap them at Incredible. Do we think this is fair?

This is not to say you can't build your character smart, or pick powers or talents that mesh or stack well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2008 12:40AM by Taarna.
May 30, 2008 06:25AM
Well I'm certainly interested but the costs for powers is very high to charge double the rank number for all powers instead of only for the starred powers like Regeneration or Self-Revival.

-- Peter David

May 30, 2008 08:44AM
Wouldn't it be better to just use the WITH GREAT POWER point system described under the House Rules section of this site? I created another version of my character using those rules and although he is toned down a bit, he could still hold his own against the Hulk.
May 30, 2008 09:55AM
I’m ‘IN’…..

But I have lots of Questions…. But should I just wait till you get more People Involved???

500 CP Total

Max CP for HP = MN:75 for Any One FASE, Or AM:50 for Any Two FASE.
Max CP for KP = MN:75 for Any One RIP, Or AM:50 for Any Two RIP.
Max CP for Resources = IN:40 Maximum… Cost Twice the CP…
Max CP for Powers = UN:100 Maximum… Cost Twice the CP…
Max CP for Equipment = UN:100 Maximum… Normal CP expense… (Special Rules apply to High-Tech)
Max CP for Talents = 15 CP for 1 Talent.
Max CP for Contacts = ????

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

MOTÖRHEAD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2008 10:12AM by TankerAce.
June 01, 2008 04:52AM
TankerAce Wrote:
> I’m ‘IN’…..
>
> But I have lots of Questions…. But should I just
> wait till you get more People Involved???
>
>
> 500 CP Total
>
> Max CP for HP = MN:75 for Any One FASE, Or AM:50
> for Any Two FASE.
> Max CP for KP = MN:75 for Any One RIP, Or AM:50
> for Any Two RIP.
> Max CP for Resources = IN:40 Maximum… Cost Twice
> the CP…
> Max CP for Powers = UN:100 Maximum… Cost Twice
> the CP…
> Max CP for Equipment = UN:100 Maximum… Normal CP
> expense… (Special Rules apply to High-Tech)
> Max CP for Talents = 15 CP for 1 Talent.
> Max CP for Contacts = ????

For the entire FACERIP, the best scores you can use are one Monstrous, two Amazing’s and, four Incredibles. I wanted to make that clear as you used two Monstrous in your examples.

The max health ( MN, AM, AM, IN ) is 215. The max Karma ( MN, AM, AM ) would be 175, but if you max your karma out, the best your health can be is 160.

I did not think of contacts, but if you want to spend cyber points here, let us say they cost 15 for a major hero or villain, 10 for a minor hero or villain, 5 for a government agency, and 5 for a major corporation.

Since most of the players think powers cost to much, I am going to change the rules before we post our home grown characters. As of right now, it costs 25 points to buy a power above the Amazing rank and after the power costs the power rank. Powers are still caped at Unearthly. This means if you want an Unearthly power, the cost now is only 125 points. ( 25 to buy, and 100 for the power rank ). If you want a Monstrous power, the cost is only 100 points. ( 25 to buy and 75 for the power rank ) However if you want a power at the Amazing rank or below, it is just the power rank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 07:54AM by Taarna.
June 01, 2008 06:34AM
That does sound much more reasonable on the power costs and much appreciated, although if you go with all Incredible stats for your FASE your max health is 160 not 140. How are you handling powers with bonus powers, are there effectively no bonus powers and everything must be bought, even powers native to a particular power category or body type? Animals for example get two detection powers at Good rank automatically, would an animal character have to buy those rather than get them for free?

-- Peter David

June 01, 2008 09:24AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> That does sound much more reasonable on the power
> costs and much appreciated, although if you go
> with all Incredible stats for your FASE your max
> health is 160 not 140. How are you handling
> powers with bonus powers, are there effectively no
> bonus powers and everything must be bought, even
> powers native to a particular power category or
> body type? Animals for example get two detection
> powers at Good rank automatically, would an animal
> character have to buy those rather than get them
> for free?

Right. 4 Incredibles for FACE =160. As for the powers and talents, I prefer to use this site as a benchmark. If a power gives multiple abilities, then you can buy them all in one. However if a power has a roll to it to choose a power, you can only buy one.

What is your take on the cosmic, death, or other powers that say work with a judge or have an * next to them? How much should they cost?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 09:24AM by Taarna.
June 01, 2008 10:30AM
I don't see much to worry about in that regard although I admittedly don't think in terms of min/maxing or meta-gaming and more focus on a theme or well-rounded character. I think you might make that determination best by first seeing what everyone's got in mind and see if anyone's trying to exploit things for an especially over-powered or juiced up character relative to everyone else. Most people tend to self-limit and go for a theme instead of 'well I need this power to exploit this game hole in the rules and this talent to exploit that one, etc'. Right now you haven't looked at any submissions to see what your possible players want to try out to see if anyone's trying to for things like the Power Cosmic or Unearthly Telekinesis or the like. Why not accept some tentative submissions just to get a feel for things?

-- Peter David

June 01, 2008 11:22AM
Here are the rules on a select few powers:

Channel* - Max Amazing

Cosmic Energy Manipulation ** - Banned for this thread

Electro-magnetic Manipulation * - Max is Monstrous. Can be bought one at a time

Extra dimensional Energy Control * - is Monstrous. Can be bought one at a time.

Probability Manipulation ** - Max is Amazing.

Reality Manipulation ** - - Banned for this thread

Time Control ** - Banned for this thread

Continuum Control — Banned for this thread

Cosmic Energy Emission * - Banned for this thread

Extraterrestrial Energy Emission * - Capped at Amazing

Hyper-attack* - Banned

Birth Power* - Banned

Death Power* - Banned

Extraterrestrial Matter Control* - banned

Extradimensional Matter Control* - Banned

Transmutation* - Banned

Bio-Manipulation* -Capped at Amazing. Pick one.

Omniscience** - Banned

Ultimate Skill* - Banned

Cosmic Host* - Banned

Hyper-Power* - Banned

Omniversal** - Banned
June 02, 2008 03:54AM
Nothing I had in mind in that list, although some of the banned stuff is a bit odd but nothing serious to mind. I do have a question though about two talents, namely Business/Finance and Heir to Fortune as both set a minimum Resource rank for a character (Good and Remarkable rank respectively). Are their any problems with someone selecting say Heir to Fortune so that they needn't worry about the responsibility of a job in order to earn money and live, purchasing it for 15 CP in order to gain Remarkable Resources? Since we do have to justify where we get our Resources from it does help cover various problems that could come about. Also some talents come with bonus contacts like Military and Detective/Espionage are they in fact free, covered due to the cost of buying the talent?

-- Peter David

June 02, 2008 01:43PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Nothing I had in mind in that list, although some
> of the banned stuff is a bit odd but nothing
> serious to mind. I do have a question though
> about two talents, namely Business/Finance and
> Heir to Fortune as both set a minimum Resource
> rank for a character (Good and Remarkable rank
> respectively). Are their any problems with
> someone selecting say Heir to Fortune so that they
> needn't worry about the responsibility of a job in
> order to earn money and live, purchasing it for 15
> CP in order to gain Remarkable Resources? Since
> we do have to justify where we get our Resources
> from it does help cover various problems that
> could come about. Also some talents come with
> bonus contacts like Military and
> Detective/Espionage are they in fact free, covered
> due to the cost of buying the talent?

Nightmask,

I think I'll leave the talents the way they are. If someone wants to have extra cheese and pick heir to a fortune, fine it costs 15 points. On the other hand, they can just pick typical resources and spend 6 points, then spend 9 more points on something else.

I think the resources are more important for high tech heroes because they might need to buy various things to keep up with their maintenance costs of their weapons / devices, / battle suits.

As for the talents that come with bonus contacts like Military and Detective/Espionage is FREE, but if you want the contact to be a high-level rank, you have to buy it. Otherwise, chalk up the free contact as a worker ant type in the system that can help a little, but not influence a vote, give money, or bend a rule / law.

This is my $.02 on those questions.

There are likely quite a few sticky points. If they are minor, I say let them be. Part of building a good character this way to figure out how talents and power can compliment each other.

I have a few ideas on how I plan to build my character. Anyone else want to ring in with questions? If not, I’d like to start the thread sometime this week.

I am eager to see what type of hero’s or villains we can come up with? Will you go with a tank type, a stealth type, a magic type, a robot type, or a high tech type? Shhh.. Keep it a secret for now!

Also if you want to post your character at a set time without others copying your great ideas, you can PM me, and I'll post them for you at a select date.

June 02, 2008 02:09PM
I can't wait, so I posted my character. Critique as you guys please.
June 02, 2008 02:24PM
Nitro Wrote:
> I can't wait, so I posted my character. Critique
> as you guys please.

We have a few people ready to start build their characters. Does anyone else have any questions?

How does Sunday sound for the posting of the characters? Oh heck, you could not wait. Ok, the flood gates are open fellas. Happy posting.

Please post your character under the build your character game thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 02:28PM by Taarna.
Joe
June 02, 2008 08:37PM
I am not going to be able to play, but I would love to create a character any way.
June 03, 2008 12:44AM
Joe Wrote:
> I am not going to be able to play, but I would
> love to create a character any way.

You don't have to play! The game is making one up, and reading the others.
Joe
June 03, 2008 03:47AM
Taarna Wrote:
> Joe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am not going to be able to play, but I would
> > love to create a character any way.
>
> You don't have to play! The game is making one up,
> and reading the others.

Cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 33
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.