Reposting an old Favorite that Aunt_Petunia requested-Wolfspider!

Posted by Nightmask 
Reposting an old Favorite that Aunt_Petunia requested-Wolfspider!
April 26, 2008 09:43PM
Advanced Wolfspider-attitude with a heart
Wolfspider
February 16, 2002 12:05PM

NOTE: this character has been played for over 5 years under various story tellers, this is why his stats and powers are so high. But to let you know, I earned every bit of karma and even accepted some very heavy penalities when spending.
Hope you like him as much as I love to play him.
Oh, by the way, he has also been played under no less than 12 story tellers, as you will be able to tell.

WOLFSPIDER a.k.a. Luke Gesseler
F: CL1000 Health: 1930
A: SH Z
S: CL1000 Karma: Pool:2500 Advance:7500 (to date)
E: CL1000
R: AMAZING Resources: IN
I: MONSTROUS
P: REMARKABLE Popularity: 89 Origin: Altered Human

POWERS-----
Web spinning: Un
Regeneration: SH Z
Wall Crawling: MN
Enhanced Senses (smell): UN
*Claws: SH Z
*Body armor: SH Z

TALENTS---
Martial Arts A,B,D,F,G
Crime
Acrobatics
Student
Psychology
Wrestling
Electronics

CONTACTS---
Kingpin (and the sinister six)
Venom
Spiderman
Wolverine (the X-Men)
Dr. Strange (this one was really wierd to play in)
Pridestar (lover/husband)
Infinity-X (15 members)
Pride Patrol (9 members)
Godzilla (not all story tellers are totally serious)
The Justice League (remember the Amalgum universe? I got to use Green Lanterns ring for a while, very cool)

HISTORY (the readers digest version)---
Born in Brooklyn, New York, Luke began his juvinal crime spree at the age of 10. By 14 he came under the notice of a local crime lord (the Kingpin) who saw the raw potential in the youth to be molded into a weapon to use against Spiderman.
Useing every contact and resource at his command, The Kingpin had Luke remade into a cross between his arch nemisis and the X-Man Wolverine.
After many encounters with the web head, Luke met a hero called PRIDESTAR (not mine). Pridestar caused Luke to see something within himself that he had kept long hidden, the fact that he was gay.
Luke took a chance and befriended Pridestar, eventually falling in love with him and joined the super-team called INFINITY-X.(created by a gaming group I was in)
For a time, he acted a a surigate host for the Venom Symbiote while Eddie Brock was in a coma and even went on to be host to an offspring of Venom's, calling himself Ravage. When that symbiote died at the hands of a villan called Tempest, Luke took the name WOLFSPIDER and created a costume which would honor Wolverine and Spiderman.
After serving 2 years probation and finishing high school, Luke took to being a hero full time and became one of the founding members of PRIDE PATROL, a team of young gay and lesbian heroes.
He is still active as a hero, but divides his time between kicking villian butt and getting his degree in psychology.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: Reposting an old Favorite that Aunt_Petunia requested-Wolfspider!
April 26, 2008 09:49PM
All hail the return of our beloved mascot -- The One, The Only, The Sensational Wolfspider! grinning smiley

Wolfy's back in the house.. Let the party commence! smileys with beer
April 26, 2008 10:47PM
Wow, I've played a character to this day since I was 13 years old and now I'm going to be 33 this May and have yet seen uber stats like this on my character.
Very generious GM's he got there.
Its definately something I'd never allow my players to reach if I went by the rules in regards to the Class Ranks. Even in the upper Shift Ranks I'd make him a GM toy, but that's just me.
I personally wouldn't enjoy playing a character at such uber stats. I'd find no enjoyment without real challenges anymore.
Do you think he now faces cosmic beings or gods?
April 26, 2008 10:59PM
Well, the only one who can likely answer to the GM's generosity would be whomever served as GM for the guy who originally created Wolfy, and not even Wolfy's player/creator has been seen around here in years...

Still, for us old-timers around here, Wolfspider was regarded with a blend of love/hate, and adopted as our semi-official mascot for the site. One hopes Wolfy will always have a comfy chair to relax in around here. smiling smiley
April 26, 2008 11:02PM
Redman II Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, the only one who can likely answer to the
> GM's generosity would be whomever served as GM for
> the guy who originally created Wolfy, and not even
> Wolfy's player/creator has been seen around here
> in years...
>
> Still, for us old-timers around here, Wolfspider
> was regarded with a blend of love/hate, and
> adopted as our semi-official mascot for the site.
> One hopes Wolfy will always have a comfy chair to
> relax in around here. smiling smiley

Cool.
April 26, 2008 11:07PM
Yes as I certainly didn't create Wolfspider or ever claim to, can't even imagine what kind of campaign you could play him in. I just reposted him here since Aunt_Petunia requested someone to repost him to lighten the mood.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 26, 2008 11:18PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Yes as I certainly didn't create Wolfspider or
> ever claim to, can't even imagine what kind of
> campaign you could play him in. I just reposted
> him here since Aunt_Petunia requested someone to
> repost him to lighten the mood.

I didn't think you created him, but like I said, Cool. cool smiley
April 26, 2008 11:32PM
His sheet in the old forum has plenty of flamage on it (more flaming posts than views) which apparently occurs in cycles. It's interesting looking through the Your Favorites older characters and seeing how thick the flames were, and how often characters you'd have expected to see flamed were praised instead. Gives you some idea who was popular and who wasn't by how they found one overpowered and attacked and someone with greater powers only got praised for creativity.

-- Peter David

April 26, 2008 11:40PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> His sheet in the old forum has plenty of flamage
> on it (more flaming posts than views) which
> apparently occurs in cycles. It's interesting
> looking through the Your Favorites older
> characters and seeing how thick the flames were,
> and how often characters you'd have expected to
> see flamed were praised instead.
>
> Gives you some idea who was popular and who wasn't
> by how they found one overpowered and attacked and
> someone with greater powers only got praised for
> creativity.

Yeah I seen a few of those types of post, a real shame huh? I was just sharing my opinion as a GM/Player is all, which I'm sure you could understand. cool smiley
May 10, 2008 03:39AM
Heh, I'd forgotten he had an Am/50 Reason, too.
May 10, 2008 03:50AM
And yet you COULD let him into a campaign because his Psyche's only Remarkable making him an easy target for psionic attacks. Against someone like Professor X or Emma Frost and he'd be toast, or power negators/vampires and the like. Actually he'd be a once-in-a-lifetime buffet for a Power Vampire or just about anything other than a Bio-Vampire (since they'd be unable to overcome his Body Armor to feed, against the rest he has no protection at all with that Psyche). He may be rediculously stuffed in the FASE but plenty of powers around he's totally vulnerable to.

-- Peter David

Lost: but not forgotten... Wolfspyder
April 17, 2008 01:06PM
Ok with the old board a bit dead at the mo and tensions high, i figured i go for a laff.. does anyone here still have a sopy of Wolfspyder from the old board???? It just brings a tear to my eye everytime i think about it :-)
Re: Lost: but not forgotten... Wolfspyder
April 19, 2008 02:08PM
I can try and help roll one up for ya if it helps? smiling smiley
April 19, 2008 04:45PM
I remember reading his entry shortly before the old forums went down, although didn't save it. I think if memory serves he was running CL1000 Strength and Endurance and Shift Z body armor though, and was an amalgam of Wolverine and Spider-man at levels you just don't get to in a game unless you've had a Cosmic Cube or some other cosmic event to empower you that high. I can remember there were some colorful flames on the post though, along with a few other old characters.

-- Peter David

May 02, 2008 05:05AM
Wolfspyder was the most epic thread ever, if also one of the most resiculous characters ever lol. If memory serves its the only thread in which P actually banned someone from the site.
May 02, 2008 06:00AM
Considering the flaming that went on I wouldn't be surprised if someone got banned; Wolfspider got an absurd amount of flaming for his posting. Sure the character couldn't really be developed in any kind of game (the karma required would take scientific notation to express) but it wasn't anything that anyone should get flamed over.

-- Peter David

May 02, 2008 06:08AM
Well while I tried not to flame, althought I might have I can't really remember, it wasn't the character iirc that got people flaming. It was his response and justification of his rediculously over powered creation that got people going. Either way the person who got banned wasn't simply flaming his character but him personally and I believe even devolved inot racial and ethnic slurs.

I have no problems with the occasional burst of fire if its done on grounds of intellectual differences, its when it becomes personal attacks that I think it crosses the line.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 02, 2008 07:27AM
Heh, by odd coincidence I was very recently telling some folks I game with about the WolfSpyder.
May 02, 2008 07:56AM
Doctor! There you are... I was beginning to wonder if you were coming or not. grinning smiley
May 02, 2008 09:13AM
I have always been here.

Except when I'm not.
May 11, 2008 03:27AM
Am I the only one that has no idea what this "Wolfspyder" was? He's sullying my good name, he is. Anyone care to enlighten.

Skarlett da Wolfed-Down Spyder
May 11, 2008 03:34AM
I didn't know either until like the last few weeks or so before the old forums closed down, after some twit was comparing me unfavorably to him. I reposted his sheet in the Your Favorites but he's way back in the archives for the old site. They flamed him like you wouldn't believe and from the looks of it harassed him right off the forums.

-- Peter David

May 12, 2008 06:01AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> I didn't know either until like the last few weeks
> or so before the old forums closed down, after
> some twit was comparing me unfavorably to him. I
> reposted his sheet in the Your Favorites but he's
> way back in the archives for the old site. They
> flamed him like you wouldn't believe and from the
> looks of it harassed him right off the forums.

Could you post a link to this archives about this character, I'd like to see what they posted about this character.
May 12, 2008 11:01AM
Well Wolfspider's on page 35 of the Your Favorites section of the archives. The link should be [www.classicmarvel.com] to take you directly to the thread.

-- Peter David

May 12, 2008 01:05PM
Just got through reading the archived Wolfspider thread.

WOW. I MEAN....JUST WOW.

There was so much flaming going on in that thread I almost got out the ribs and chopped beef for a barbeque.

That was just...WOW.

So unexpected. So dissappointing.

Skarlett da sad smiley Spyder
May 12, 2008 01:19PM
Tell me about it, and he's not the only one, there are a few other posts back then that got flamed just as heavily if not moreso. Compared to that flaming we got at the start of the year before the forums shut down it was almost tame (although we still had some doing their best to match the venom that Wolfspyder dealt with). I'm glad that things have improved since then and hopefully our revitalized forums with a good staff instead of poor Auntie who was too overworked trying to do it himself will see to it we never have a return to that kind of behavior.

-- Peter David

May 12, 2008 01:28PM
Something I thought was strange when I first read it, was that the Health count was off. It should have been 3500 for what his stats read. But, anyway, yeah the flaming was pretty crazy on that thread. Which may have actually been the purpose of posting that character to begin with. It crossed my mind anyway.

You know, one thing I find interesting is that the Player with a character like that is usually the one who takes the heat. But it is the Judge who should hold the bulk of responsibility for what he allows in his campaign. When I first started playing my Judge was 14 years old and allowed way overpowered characters, but I didn't know until I got older how wildly unbalance the game was. None of my original characters could have been played in someone else's, more reasonable campaign. Could be the case with our friend and mascot here. smiling bouncing smiley But then again he did claim to play in a number of different games.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 12, 2008 01:56PM
Hard to say if Wolfspyder was serious or just testing the forums but either way he got flamed good, and at least some of the people flaming him if you looked at their characters THEY were just as top-heavy and over-powered as the guy that they were flaming. I won't mention who since that'd just be following along in that bad behavior and some of them their sheets are also gone. Someone else that got flamed was Fabricator (http://www.classicmarvel.com/phorum_archive/read.php?5,28636 ), first post even comments that he's a contender for Wolfspyder's 'spot'. Especially sad considering all the ranks he had were possible at character creation, albeit unlikely but you're talking so many thousands of people playing MSH that someone would likely meet and break those odds to roll up such a character. That's another problem that crops up, forgetting that there are so many people who play the game that someone somewhere likely has rolled up such a character legitimately.

You've some valid points there about the Player/GM relationship; someone having a powerful character is as much a result of his GM allowing it as it is for him rolling it but as the only one here posting everyone jumps him for what someone else allowed. I mean you could get ahold of the Mutant Power Intensifier from Professor X and bump your powers to the CL3000 range in-game legitimately and depending on the powers you may have no problems adapting to them and if the GM allowed it where's the justification in attacking the player? My old version of Moleculon when I first got the game in college was extremely powerful but the GM had no problems letting me run him in a game, yet if I posted him here especially in the old days of the forums I'd have been massively flamed for his having ranks in the CL1000+ range.

-- Peter David

May 12, 2008 01:56PM
I think what people took an affront to was the fact that he blatantly lied about having earned all the karma on that character. That's what made the character so ridiculous. It wasn't so much his stats as much as that he insisted it was all legit. People just pointed out the elephant in the room. Some were more polite than others but the whole thread wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. Once the flames started over the homosexuality it wasn't even about Wolfspider anymore, so I disregarded those flames altogether for the context of the thread.
May 12, 2008 02:00PM
There were flames over the homosexuality? I'd stopped reading fairly early on after I found the thread as the flames over the ranks and such I stopped reading since it was so uniformly insulting. I vaguely remember noticing the homosexuality for the original character post but shrugged it off, although I think I might have also wondered if anyone would notice that enough to complain about it. I wonder how many of the people who flamed Wolfspyder back then are still on the forums and how many left for blacker pastures.

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 16
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.