Looking for Suggestions: Fantasy Island

Posted by MajorSteel 
Looking for Suggestions: Fantasy Island
January 23, 2016 10:39AM
So the Idea is to do a write up on the TV show.

Though many i spoke with can't decide if Mr Rourke had the powers or the island itself.
I tend to see the island has the power and Rourke was the care taker or the one who could tap into it power/energies.
Though in many of the shows, rourke has been seen facing the devil or a wanna be devil/demon. Which would make it great for Mephisto, ( [en.wikipedia.org] )

So my inquiry is simple:

What powers would be best applied to the Island?
What powers would be best applied to Mr Rourke?
Re: Looking for Suggestions: Fantasy Island
February 03, 2016 05:25AM
Dare I attempt a Tattoo write-up?

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
February 03, 2016 10:06AM
If anyone is offended, this post will be deleted. Okay here's it goes...

Tattoo, assistant to Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island

Tattoo is but 3'11" in height, however, he has an eye for things.

Fighting: Poor
Agility: Poor
Strength: Poor
Endurance: Typical
Reason: Typical
Intuition: Excellent
Psyche: Typical

Health: 18

Powers: None.

Talents: Hospitality. Tattoo's reason and knowledge of the Island and Resort are Excellent as is his ability to locate planes landing on the island.

Resources: Excellent*

Contacts: Mr. Roarke: Mysterious host and overseer of the Island.

Now for a bit of a poetic license: for gaming reasons! Tattoo was actually a spy and stage set up person who could report or set up situations to aid in guests " Fantasies " There are several secret entrances and exits on the Islands to aid him, and visitors, if they are looking in the right place, are -3CS to notice him due to his size and familiarity of the resort. If spotted, Tattoo often could amuse guests or make himself look like a fool, but he was anything but!

The true nature of Fantasy Island was actually an early version of the Turman show, where rich people would pay to see whomever's fantasies lived out and exposed on hidden cameras. It was used for Blackmail, Business Knowledge and Politics. Every so often Tattoo would steal an item and replace it with a replica per request of the paying audience.The item then went into a silent auction with the highest bidder taking ownership. 99.9% of the vacationers at the resort had no idea of the true nature of the Island. The other .01% who found out were forced to keep quiet or else...

Tattoo also was guilty of propositioning women and female employees ( The actor's Hervé Villechaize real life problem ), however, Mr. Roarke charm and resources combined with Tattoo's harmless looks was often enough to get him out of trouble. Not all of the men and women on the island are guests. Some are there for entertainment purposes disguised as guests.

Talents:

Marital Arts S. Yes there is no Martial Arts S officially listed here. I'm creating one. It's Martial arts for a little people with a focus on quick striking below the belt. Targets include the knees and the groin. Tattoo been trained in this skill and is +2CS to hit ( Attacks on the Good column ), and +2CS to gain a surprise intuitive as people tend to underestimate him in this department. A successful hit has the following results.

Martial Arts S affects:

Green - Loss of action for 10-20 seconds. Damage at Typical level. Tattoo can choose to escape or gets a free attack. He most often escapes.

Yellow - Person is stunned for 1-4 rounds, and -2CS on movement skills for 1-10 rounds. Damage at Good level. Free attack option next round.

Red - Person passes out due to the pain for 1-10 rounds. -3cs on movement skills for 5-10 rounds. Damage at Good level plus surgery required at a later date. Multiple free attacks equal to rounds passed out.

Tattoo's other talents

Spying +1CS

Camouflage +2CS due to his small size

Acting.

Theif.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
February 04, 2016 05:49AM
MajorSteel,

You could go either way. Could be both the Island and Rourke has the power! I think Rourke has power for sure because he could either create it himself or draw magic from the island. Marvel defines magic as the ability to tap into and manipulate.

One thing is clear, Rourke is the sole owner and proprietor of Fantasy Island

Rourke could be interpreted as a cosmic level being, simply interested in studying how different people act. Or as a magic using human, with a slightly mischevious but moral code. I like the latter better than the former.

My interpretation is Rourke needs to feed on emotions to some degree for whatever reason, possibly to keep his magic power level high or not age. He's also very rich, and they don't explain why so I think he has a Truman show in secret going on!

February 06, 2016 12:30PM
Yes, I even got the "both" has powers theme. And many have the same opinion, Only Rourke had the ability to tap or manipulate the powers.

Some suggested a Deity/God still around and the natives fuel his existence/power.

As for the tattoo write upthumbs up
February 09, 2016 10:49AM
MajorSteel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I even got the "both" has powers theme. And
> many have the same opinion, Only Rourke had the
> ability to tap or manipulate the powers.
>
> Some suggested a Deity/God still around and the
> natives fuel his existence/power.
>
> As for the tattoo write upthumbs up

Thanks. In hindsight, I should have put in art as a talent for Tattoo.

Fantasy Island has potential for gamers!

February 24, 2016 12:18PM
In some ways the later seasons made Fantasy Island into a prototype or "inspiration" for the final version of the island in LOST with its "guardian" or interpreters whether it was Jacob or Locke or etc.

LOST Fantasy Island would be interesting, where people come to the Fantasy Island - willingly or NOT - and have their hidden desire fulfilled or explored - whether they wish it or NOT - and where the roles of Rourke and any nemesis take on more of the trappings of the final season of LOST.

In the early seasons of Fantasy Island it definitely seemed as though EVERYTHING was stage magic illusion, actors playing roles, etc.etc. rather than anything more mystical, but that definitely categorically changed later on.

The stage magic type earlier version of Rourke would definitely be more of a Mysterio type.
February 25, 2016 04:26PM
Maybe it started out with actors and stage magic.
With the emotional release of each success, perhaps the island absorbed some of the energy from the emotions, and over time the island's power grew.
It could explain the differences between the early and late seasons.
it could also be interesting to play a campaign set during the "mid point" with actors and the occasional unexplained occurrence.
Just my 2 credits worth.
February 26, 2016 07:27PM
I 100% agree, and I prefer with things like this sort of adaptation to leave it as mysterious and unexplained as possible - every once in a while it's pretty obviously Mr. Rourke in makeup and costume, every once in a while there's a 200 year old painting with Rourke in it...

Bit like The Prisoner - never really properly explained ever, and some of the best WTF stuff was hardly even touched on. Not the stuff everyone refers to, but things like the single scene where a cave has weirdos in robes and goggles watching a wall, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 15
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.