Curious about this Super-Sorcery Homebrew

Posted by Roughouse 
Curious about this Super-Sorcery Homebrew
July 11, 2017 10:39AM
I really like this Super-Sorcery homebrew I found here:
[classicmarvelforever.com] but was curious what others thought.
Coco Gun-Bun

New version:

Super-Sorcery** (three slot power)

Super-Sorcery simulates any other super-powers as spells, with a total combined rank of the Super-Sorcery power rank.

Activating a spell requires an action and a Psyche FEAT as for a universal spell (along with the need to be able to gesture, and the possibility to temporarily lose Psyche ranks).

Dropping a spell to make room for different spells is a free action.

Spells are declared as personal, universal or dimensional, with the usual effect.

A super-sorcerer can borrow more power than he can normally safely handle. He can borrow more power rank points than his rank in Super-Sorcery (and even gain spells of higher rank than Super-Sorcery), but he must keep track of the number of power points above his limit. Whenever the die result of a spellcasting FEAT is equal to or lower than the number of "over-borrowed" points (including the FEAT to "over-borrow" in the first place), he must make a Psyche FEAT or roll for backlash (d%):
01-02 Dimensional Rift: Red Psyche FEAT or drawn to another dimension by displeased entity
03-04 Scarred For Life: unconscious for 1d10 hours, Psyche permanently -1 rank, no spell-casting for 1d10 days
05-15 Mind Whip: all spells drop, unconscious for 1d10 hours, no spell-casting for 1d10 days
16-35 Mental Blast: all spells drop, stunned for 1d10 turns, no spell-casting for one day
36-69: Mystic Feedback: All spells drop, stunned for 1d10 turns, no spell-casting for 1d10 hours
70-99: Magic Fatigue: All spells drop, no spell-casting for 1d10 rounds
00: Power Surge: Caster taps into a power source, Psyche temporarily increases by 1 rank for the rest of the day

Example:
Black Wizard is a magical villain with Psyche IN (40) and Super-Sorcery RM (30), which grants him 30 points to buy spells with.
He plans to rob a bank, and thus prepares the following spells:
  • Body Armor GD (10) = 10 points: Enough to repel any handgun shots at him.
  • Slashing Missile GD (10) = 10 points: To cut down any opposition and prove that he is serious.
  • Flight GD (10) = 10 points: To get away fast after the robbery.
That uses up 30 points, exactly his allowance.

The robbery goes well, until all of a sudden The Thing bursts in.
Black Wizard realizes that his measly Slashing Missile won't cut it, but needs the big guns. On his action, he drops both Slashing Missile and Flight in the first round (reducing his spells to 10 of 30 points). He spends around 1 "over-borrowing" to activate Energy Generation MN (75), bringing his spell total to 85, 55 points above his safe limit. From now on, any casting roll of 55 or less will result in a backlash. The result of the activation roll is a 97, so the over-borrowing itself goes well.
In round 2, he wins initiative and tries to fry The Thing with his Monstrous Energy Beam. The roll is a 27 - so not only a failure but a backlash! The Psyche FEAT fails, and the result on the backlash table is 08, knocking out Black Wizard for 1d10 hours and making him easy to pick up for the cops.

Having "Super-Sorcery" as a multi=power seems like a very elegant solution to the convoluted and confusing magic rules in MSH. Also, I like the overpower mechanic - as it adds some balance to the power. I'm curious if anyone has tried this homebrew before? Also, any suggestions on how to improve this homebrew for gameplay would be really welcome.
Re: Curious about this Super-Sorcery Homebrew
July 11, 2017 11:31AM
A couple of things I didn't like about Coco's version:
  • the power name of "Super Sorcery"
    • Just call it "Sorcery" or "Magic Use" or "Spellcasting."
  • 3 slot power.
    • Deviates from the standard 1 or 2 slot power system. I like keeping things simple.
  • double super sorcery power rank for total spell ranks.
    • Maybe don't double the rank and have it be a 2 slot power. This would allow the character room for another power that always available, either not as a spell or maybe a permanent magical effect or whatever.
  • The static chart for negative effects of overborrowing.
    • More powerful sorcerers should be better at this than tactic than novices. Maybe simplify the table into 4 (or 5 if you use the Universal Table with Blue FEATs) results and if the sorcerer fails the Psyche FEAT for backlash, then roll a FEAT using the power rank to determine one of those 4 or 5 effects. This way, better spellcasters have a better chance of pulling off the risky magical maneuvers.

At a glance, it looks like you took away the doubling of the power rank for total spell ranks available. I'm cool with that. It's still a triple cost power with that static penalties table. I have not used this in either the original or current form, but I probably would alter it further before allowing it in my games.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 11, 2017 02:01PM
Hmm.. those are good observations.

I see the triple cost as a way of preventing a Sorcerer from becoming OP. However, I was thinking that since it's a multipower, taking it should forbid any other power selections. Since it can simulate having a number of powers anyway.
July 11, 2017 05:53PM
I like the standard Realms of Magic rules. Being able to pull off two spells each round does not make "Super Sorcery" seem so very super to myself. I also am not crazy about how this homebrew version allows a caster to swap his spells around for whatever the situation may call for. Seems like the pc would have way to much versatility with no penalty.

One world of adventure is never enough.
July 12, 2017 11:35AM
Roughouse

I see the triple cost as a way of preventing a Sorcerer from becoming OP. However, I was thinking that since it's a multipower, taking it should forbid any other power selections. Since it can simulate having a number of powers anyway.
Yes, but taking other powers allows a sorcerer to have a couple of magical trinkets... maybe not Eye of Agamotto, but possibly a cloak of levitation or a ring of invisibility or staff of speaking to dead folks... or what have you.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 12, 2017 01:29PM
Thrudjelmer
Roughouse

Yes, but taking other powers allows a sorcerer to have a couple of magical trinkets... maybe not Eye of Agamotto, but possibly a cloak of levitation or a ring of invisibility or staff of speaking to dead folks... or what have you.

Good point!

Out of boredom, I was tinkering with a 300 point magic-user build. It dawned on me that you could very easily create "jack-of-all-trades" magic build without having to use a power like Super Sorcery.

Powers like Elemental Control, Nature Control, Illusion Casting, Telepathy, etc.. are already very versatile.

If anything I think I would probably prefer to create "Sorcerer" as a homebrewed character type with a few unique advnatages.
July 12, 2017 02:30PM
As is Telekinesis.

December 01, 2023 12:22PM
There I am away for a year or six, and people are actually looking into my stuff tongue sticking out smiley

That houserule was a quick&dirty conversion from how Savage Worlds handles sorcery in its super hero variant, and hadn't been play-tested but for a single convention one-shot. There are probably still a lot of holes to poke into when someone sets their mind on breaking the power, or more elegant ways to handle the basic idea that are more in tune with how MSH handles things.

Necromancer
I also am not crazy about how this homebrew version allows a caster to swap his spells around for whatever the situation may call for. Seems like the pc would have way to much versatility with no penalty.
That is very much the point of that house-rule. Super-Sorcerers are incredibly versatile and can come up with the oddly specific power they need to solve the problem of the week, but don't have the raw power to go toe-to-toe with a regular superhero who specializes into the same niche.

Thrudjelmer
Roughouse
There is also Scarlet Witch, who combines hex manipulation and other mutant powers with spellcasting, and plenty of other heroes and villains who back up their magic with regular powers, or magic items, or technology. A blanket ban of combining Super Sorcery with regular powers would make a lot of characters impossible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 33
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.