New Abilities

Posted by davidrpaige 
Re: New Abilities
February 22, 2018 04:59PM
I have a secondary set of characteristics that go along with the Health/Karma/Resources/Popularity rankings.

Presence = Rated on a scale of 1 through 8

1 = Very little to no awe (i.e. Aunt May, Frogman, Impossible Man)
2 = Typical human levels (Peter Parker, Willie Lumpkin, Speedball, Criminal Thug, Cannonball)
3 = Above average respect (Police Officer, Night Thrasher, Local Mayor, J. Jonah Jameson, Nomad)
4 = Exceptional levels of respect (NY State Governor, Crimson Dynamo, Wolverine, Most Avengers, Spider-Man)
5 = Extraordinary levels of awe, fear, and respect (PotUS, Iron Man, Captain America, Magneto, Thor, Superman)
6 = "Cult of personality" levels of awe, fear or respect (Batman, Doctor Doom, Apocalypse, The Red Skull)
7 = Legendary or epic levels of worship, fear, or respect (Darkseid, Thanos, Terminus, Negan)
8 = Godlike status (Galactus, Beyonder, Eternity etc...)

This is sort of a loose rule, but I don't let people roll for their ranking. I start them at "2" and when they've earned enough karma, popularity, and experience/time, I adjust them upwards if they've earned the right.

In game terms, if you have four or more ranks over the presence score of an enemy, you automatically get the high initiative in the first round of combat, giving you a distinct advantage. For most people who are noncombatants (i.e. regular people) with a lower presence score they would never even THINK of attacking someone with this high of a presence score, let alone trying to kill them. This keeps people like Aunt May from trying silly situations like to punch Galactus. These are just guidelines though. I have a whole set of rules for getting +1/-1 or +2/-2 reactions in certain circumstances.
February 23, 2018 09:06AM
I like how you have the Presence affecting Initiative. Very clever. It seems like a very quick and simple system to use. I think my only real criticism is that it functions on different mechanics then the rest of the MSH game (i.e. Ranks or sum of Ranks).

There might be a way to adapt what you have going and turn it into a Rank style system, so that it is comparable to the rest of MSH. Players still earn their Presence through the Judge, but the scale is more aligned to Ranks.

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”
― Oscar Wilde
February 23, 2018 10:58AM
It is a cool idea.

I would adapt to use points like Popularity where you can award points arbitrarily but not advance them using Karma.

Also, I wouldn't compare presence to presence to determine effects. I would compare presence to Psyche to determine effects; someone with a high Psyche wouldn't be impressed by a high presence.

February 24, 2018 03:53AM
Shakeshift

2 = Typical human levels (Peter Parker, Willie Lumpkin, Speedball, Criminal Thug, Cannonball)
3 = Above average respect (Police Officer, Night Thrasher, Local Mayor, J. Jonah Jameson, Nomad)
4 = Exceptional levels of respect (NY State Governor, Crimson Dynamo, Wolverine, Most Avengers, Spider-Man)
5 = Extraordinary levels of awe, fear, and respect (PotUS, Iron Man, Captain America, Magneto, Thor, Superman)
6 = "Cult of personality" levels of awe, fear or respect (Batman, Doctor Doom, Apocalypse, The Red Skull)
7 = Legendary or epic levels of worship, fear, or respect (Darkseid, Thanos, Terminus, Negan)

Negan at Legendary or epic levels? Really? I'd put him at level 4 or 5 at best. Definitely not above Batman or Doctor Doom.

Also, Captain America should be higher. His presence has been well-established in the comics, with people of exceptional stature either greatly respecting him or succumbing to hero worship in his presence. He's a man who commands the respect of gods.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 24, 2018 12:14PM
Seeing PotUS on the list of examples of presence makes me think that the presence score probably needs at least one level below the current level 1 to account for people who are figures of fun, or who - for whatever reason - manage to generate extraordinary levels of disrespect.
February 24, 2018 08:01PM
Please remember to keep these discussions about the game or comics. Please keep real world, political commentary to a minimum.

February 25, 2018 04:59AM
Thrudjelmer
Shakeshift

Negan at Legendary or epic levels? Really? I'd put him at level 4 or 5 at best. Definitely not above Batman or Doctor Doom.

Also, Captain America should be higher. His presence has been well-established in the comics, with people of exceptional stature either greatly respecting him or succumbing to hero worship in his presence. He's a man who commands the respect of gods.
Additional "Really?" moment... Thor, the actual legendary God of Thunder is not listed at either Legendary or Godlike status? Or are you referring to the present impostor calling herself Thor? Because then I could see it being lower.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 25, 2018 01:50PM
Thrudjelmer
Thrudjelmer
Shakeshift

Additional "Really?" moment... Thor, the actual legendary God of Thunder is not listed at either Legendary or Godlike status? Or are you referring to the present impostor calling herself Thor? Because then I could see it being lower.

Yes..very strange to have Batman and Negan (ugh) with more Presence than an actual god. Also, Wolverine might be known amongst heroes and villains, but normal folk don't know who he is. Darkseid and Thanos would warrant this, but again, only from those that actually know who they are. It's like in Justice League: war, the Justice League had no idea who Darkseid was so his "presence" didn't affect them at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 23
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.