The "Eye of Tyr"-my attempt at an MSH artifact

Posted by the_hammer 
The "Eye of Tyr"-my attempt at an MSH artifact
October 21, 2018 10:10AM
OOC: Real fast, the main source of this material comes and has been adapted from is a Northeast Indy Wrestling promotion known as "Chikara Pro" and all assorted copyrights go to the usual spots and please be gentle-I've never made one of these before and any help in fixing it is appreciated if it needs it but I have tried to stay true to the origins of the item and how its been used.

The Eye of Tyr

The Eye of Tyr is a mystical artifact of unknown history the predates Celtic or Norse mythologies despite its name and is a true oddity in the realm of ancient artifacts and the studies of them.

Most of the information connected to it is from the ISRPPA or the International Society for the Research and Preservation of Paranormal Artifacts which has the following about the item;

History
During an expedition by a team of Danish and American archaeologists to an island chain of disputed territory (now known as the Faroe Islands) off the coast of Northern Europe following World War I, an unexpected discovery was made. An ornate sepulchre, or burial chamber, was found carved into the rocky hillside at the foot of the shoreline. Although it housed no human remains, the tomb did contain several agrarian tools and primitive military weaponry dating back to early 11th century Scandinavia. However, the most spectacular item found was a necklace featuring a large gemstone (later identified as a near flawless example of garnet malaya - a precious stone found only at the basin of the Umba River in Tanzania) strung on a baroque chain forged from silver ore, most likely from the Kongsberg ore deposit in nearby Norway. Carvings on the wall of the sepulchre offered no clues to the identity of who was or was to have been buried there, but they did clearly identify the necklace as the legendary Eye of Tyr.

The Eye of Tyr, named for Týr the Norse god of combat and war, has often been mentioned in ancient Viking manuscripts. Long thought to be simply a legend of mythology, the Eye, whose exact origins are still unknown, was believed to give unique powers to only those who possessed it. These powers, said to have been given as a gift from Tyr himself, allowed the holder to "control" another individual simply by touching the stone to the forehead (hence, "the third eye"). The translated journals of several Norse explorers, merchants, and pirates, however, also suggest that unless the Eye is given away upon use or if it is obtained through theft or other nefarious means, the holder will be befallen by bad luck or tragedy

Two questions about this artifact have yet to be answered: one, how did this gem find its way from a remote location in East Africa to Northern Scandinavia when there is no record of Viking exploration farther south than the Mediterranean Sea; and two, how valid are the claims of the paranormal and psychokinetic properties of "the Eye".

Current Location
The current whereabouts of this artifact are unknown. Held for many years in the private collection of an unidentified family, it was stolen sometime in the mid 1980's. It turned up at an auction in a neutral country in 1990, and has changed hands between private collectors at least three times since. Due to the unusually mysterious history of this artifact, the ISRPPA has made it a priority to locate.

It should be noted that several renowned experts in the field of mystical studies such as Doctor Stephen Strange, Jericho Drumm, Jennifer Kale, Kent Nelson, and Professor Trevor Bruttenholm along with "specialized experts" such as
Harry Dresden, Zatanna Zatara, and John Constantine have all stated that the Eye is the most dangerous artifact rumored to have existed but they cannot confirm nor deny it due to a lack of actual interaction with said artifact.

Renowned antiquarian Simon Petrikov has stated that he personally has held the Eye of Tyr while a child in the 1980's while visiting a childhood friend and it was this artifact that sparked his interest in ancient artifacts and their history while another man, one Derrick Bateman, has stated that he has personally seen the artifact at work and refuses to speak more on the subject.

When members of this agency contacted the monarch of the sovereign nation of Latevara, Doctor Victor von Doom, about the Eye his statement was very telling if not interesting;

"I refuse to speak on such a thing for Doom has sought out many things in his life but Doom shall never attempt to seek out the Eye of Tyr for it is beyond my scope."

For the time being this is all that we know about this fabled item.

MSH Mechanics:
Mind Domination: SH-X, when the Eye of Tyr is pressed dead center of a target's forehead, they instantly become subservient to the wielder of the artifact until specific conditions are met that removes the domination from the target and cannot be broken unless under very specific conditions.

The exact affect basically causes the target's normal personality to be shoved into what would be a "pocket safe space" within their own mind as the dominating force of the Eye's magic allows the body to act normally with a kind of "phantom persona" running it with this persona having access to all the memories, talents, powers and power stunts, and what have you but is completely and utterly loyal to the bearer of the Eye and the bearer alone.

However, and this is extremely important, the person who is dominated by the Eye remembers *EVERYTHING* that he or she has been forced to due while under the Eye's influence-no matter how dark, they will recall it just as vividly as they would their own memories.

As an additional theory, it is unknown what happens if someone is Dominated by the Eye while linked mentally or empathically to another person but it can be assumed that they too are dominated by the Eye.

Immunity to Psionic and Empathic: SH-X, while the target is under the control of the Eye, the target gains a practical immunity to anything psionic and empathic due to affects of the artifact. Any attempts to reach the person telepathically is met with the equivalent of a "mental air raid siren" going off in one's head and any attempt to reach out to them via empathy finds a eerie lack of any kind of emotion except for a complete and total loyalty to the holder of the Eye.

Telekinesis and all of its branches can affect the target but Telepathy and its ilk nor Emotion Control or Empathy cannot.
==============

Drawbacks:
The Geas: According to the myth that surrounds the eye, once it is used once then it must be given away least the current bearer is subject to a truly epic curse of bad luck or if it is stolen from the current holder before it can be used, then the person who stole it will be under a truly epic curse of bad luck until it is returned to its rightful holder.

In game terms this curse activates WITHOUT FAIL and needs no roll if it is either stolen from its current bearer before said bearer can use it for his/her own reason or the current bearer fails to give it away once he/she has used it on someone and it is up to the Judge's own twisted and dark imagination to show what happens during this curse.

Such examples offered include the following for just shits and giggles:
1. All CS feats are now 5 times higher, Green feats are a 5 CS challenge while a Yellow is a 10 CS challenge while Red are a 15.

2. The player suffers from a negative attempt at whatever he or she is trying to use his or her Karma points for.

Conditions for breaking the Domination: As stated above the effects of the Eye of Tyr can be broken if specific conditions are met and only then which includes the following:

1. New Holder: If the previous bearer of the Eye dominates someone and then gives the Eye to someone new, then that person can use their one shot with the Eye to reverse the condition before they in turn have to hand off the Eye.

2. The destruction of the Eye: The jewel can be destroyed like any other jewel and by doing this while a person is dominated causes them the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual equivalent of whiplash as the dominated person is suddenly given full control of their body again.

There is a myth that a person with extremely powerful emotional connection can help to break the seal that is placed on the person who is dominated, but not much about this is known.

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
Lúcio: I can’t even take you seriously right now.
Re: The "Eye of Tyr"-my attempt at an MSH artifact
October 22, 2018 05:14AM
My main concern is that it seems exceptionally powerful for an object associated with Tyr. Tyr himself does not possess the mojo to create something like this, and the Shift-X mind control is significantly more powerful than Mjolnir's weather control of Unearthly rank, which was enchanted by Odin himself.

As for the curse, also seems exceedingly powerful. Maybe something like Probability Manipulation - Bad Luck affecting the thief until the curse is broken would be more balanced.

As a side note regarding the curse taking effect on a thief who steals it... what happens if the would be thief simply kills the current owner? Do dead people own property? If they can, then if a rightful owner dies without using it, then no one would ever be able to use it again without being so cursed because even if the curse is lifted by giving it back to the corpse owner, that corpse couldn't use it so that it can then be passed on properly.

Final commentary: Doom would consider nothing beyond his scope. He has stolen the power cosmic from the Silver Surfer, used that same technology to steal the power of Galactus himself, and then went on to confront the Beyonder with Galactus's power. Yup, the entity that pulled a world together out of pieces drawn from all over the universe and brought an assembly of heroes and villains and Galactus to fight for a grand prize of whatever their heart's desire was... and Doom saw it as an objective to be captured and wielded by none but Doom himself. I would suggest that if Doom has made such a statement, it's to mislead everyone else. Either he does indeed covet the artifact and is trying to scare others off (which isn't too likely in the comics universe of egomaniacs), or he knows exactly what the item is capable of and considers it beneath him but is curious to see others go after it and perhaps fall victim to its curse.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 30, 2018 01:54PM
First off to you, Thrudjelmer, my apologies for how long it took to get you a reply-my IRL got really hectic when the department of the University that I work for got hit with a department cut and I wound up doing my job on top of three other people's-so my apologies.

To answer your questions about the artifact though:

1. As for the name, it's one of those mysteries as to why it's named that (kinda of like why do we park in a driveway and drive in a parkway maybe?)

2. I was going for this is a mind control item with a major drawback, kind of like the puzzle box from the Hellraiser movies but not as...@#$%& up like that.

3. Considering what happened to the last person who used the Eye and didn't instantly get rid of it which resulted in the creation of not one but two armies created to destroy *HIM* and everything that surrounded him, I thought it was the right levels to use but I'm open for suggestions on how to adjust it.

4. You bring up a rather good question about the thief stealing it from a dead person, Thrud.

5. As for Doom's reasons for not wanting it, I was going more for a "Doom knows when not to @#$%& with something that stupid, just leave it for Lex Luthor or Doctor Destroyer and enjoy the popped corn!" kind of reaction there winking smiley

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
Lúcio: I can’t even take you seriously right now.
December 31, 2018 03:23PM
I suggest dropping its power levels to Unearthly then work out more specific effects based on different conditions and area effects, with base power level of Unearthly and then CS shifts against victims. CS shifts based on their Popularity, their behavior (villainous ie thieves), heroism, and so on.

Marvel has done some horrible retconning of items and characters over the decades but you could use that in your favor with the Eye of Tyr.

It isn't really named after Tyr, in a positive way. It's named after Tyr because he was the most famous schmuck to date to try and mess with it for some reason. Maybe related to getting a new hand? Or did it play some role in him being the sucker to lose a hand in the first place?

If it's Unearthly base power level but has all sorts of conditions that affect people interacting with it, that makes it much more interesting.

Mind Control could be based on a scale where each time a conflict arises and someone falls under its spell, it keeps getting 1 CS more difficult or easier based on how they play out the control. If they keep resisting and being creative in trying to frustrate the item the hold over them slips. If they play into its control, the CS penalty rapidly becomes overwhelming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 29
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.