The Know-It-All

Posted by Thrudjelmer 
The Know-It-All
October 06, 2021 01:19PM
Here's an NPC I've had wandering around in the background of my games, and you're welcome to use her if you need some eccentric smarty-smarts to nudge your group toward something.

PREEMINENCE

F - TY (6)............Health: 52
A - EX (20)...........Karma: 90
S - TY (6)............Resources: TY (6)
E - EX (20)...........Popularity: 20
R - AM (50)
I - EX (20)
P - EX (20)

KNOWN POWERS
  • Omni-Knowledge: AM (50) ability to know the answer to nearly any question asked of her. She can answer any question within contemporary human knowledge with a Green FEAT. A Yellow FEAT grants her access to alien knowledge, and a Red FEAT allows her to tap into "entity" level knowledge. A successful FEAT grants a short, concise answer to the question, so one needs to ask the correct question in as clear a way as possible.
  • Hyper-Invention: AM (50) ability to repair or create technology using existing materials. Modern tech requires an Excellent intensity FEAT roll, advanced tech requires Remarkable intensity, and alien or future tech can be anywhere from Incredible to Unearthly, depending on complexity or effect. If she has inferior resources or equipment to work with, gets a -1CS penalty. However, if she has better than adequate materials with which to work, she gains a +1CS bonus to her efforts.
  • Postcognition: AM (50) ability to know details about an object, person, or place from direct physical contact. Knowledge gained can only be from within the past 50 weeks.
  • Precognition: EX (20) ability to see visions of up to 20 hours into the future. Such visions occur randomly per the Judge's discretion, and her FEAT roll determines both the veracity of her vision as well as her ability to interpret them.
  • Danger Sense: IN (40) awareness and ability to react to danger. A more accurate and immediate form of her precognition, Preeminence predicts what will happen up to 40 seconds ahead of the moment.
  • Linguistics: IN (40) ability to learn languages. Current human languages require a Poor intensity power FEAT. Archaic human languages are a Good intensity FEAT, alien humanoid languages are Remarkable intensity FEAT. Animal languages are Incredible intensity, and non-humanoid alien languages are Amazing intensity. She gains a +1CS bonus if she has any kind of instructional resource to help her learn, and a -1CS penalty if she tries to learn from just hearing a sample of the language. Preeminence can retain fluent knowledge in up to 40 languages simultaneously, but she will forget a language of her choice if she exceeds this limit.
    • As a bonus, this power also provides Preeminence with power rank resistance to sonic-based forms of Hypnosis and Mind Control as it attempts to translate the medium rather than the message.

EQUIPMENT
Rocket Boots: GD (10) rank Flight.

TALENTS
  • Business/Finance
  • Computers
  • Engineering

CONTACTS
S.H.I.E.L.D., Scientists at M.I.T.

BACKGROUND
  • Aliases: The Brain, Think-Tank, Know-It-All
  • Identity: Known to Authorities
  • Education: College / Self-taught
  • Family: Barret Summers (father), Sunni Summers (mother), Eli (twin brother), Missy (older sister)
  • Place of Birth: Vista, Wyoming
  • Legal Status: Criminal record for computer hacking crimes --expunged by S.H.I.E.L.D.--
  • Height: 5' 6"
  • Weight: 120 lbs.
  • Origin of Powers: Mutant

Emi was always something of a know-it-all when she was growing up, and noticeably smarter than the average genius. She seemed to always have an answer on the tip of her tongue, but when she started answering questions about things that she shouldn't know about, S.H.I.E.L.D. took an interest in her. Insanely curious as a youth, she was always poking into things with her computer that she shouldn't have, and it not only earned her a criminal record for a time, but high-ups within S.H.I.E.L.D. were afraid that she somehow breached their security and learned about things she shouldn't have. She was pulled out of school and interrogated, and when it was confirmed that she hadn't actually done anything wrong (with regard to violating S.H.I.E.L.D. computer systems), they began to study her. It was determined that she possessed the mysterious X-gene that gives mutants their powers, and immediately telepathy was suspected --that she was somehow probing people's memories, making her still a potential security risk. Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four was asked to consult on her case, with officials concerned about bringing Xavier or other X-Men into contact with such a mutant, which they might demand be relinquished into their custody. Dr. Richards conducted a series of tests to learn the limits of her abilities, and was surprised to find that she was not only capable of pulling known information from seemingly nowhere, but could also provide answers that required complex calculation to determine. Then he did what no one else had thought to do, which is ask Emi herself where she thinks the answers are coming from. Realization quickly appeared in her eyes as she told him that one of her distant ancestors is actually a member of the race of Watchers, and that she has a tenuous link to the collective knowledge of the Watchers themselves. After learning this, Richards asked additional questions and learned that the Watchers were outraged that one of their kind broke their oath of non-interference in such an intimate way, and they exiled him from their society --to where, Emi is not capable of answering. Further, the Watchers are aware that she has access to their knowledge base, but for the time it has been agreed to take no action other than to observe how it is used. Emi is an experiment that the Watchers are now conducting to see if their knowledge can be shared without further violating their oath of non-interference. Emi sometimes works with S.H.I.E.L.D. and various scientists to help them solve mysteries, but upon Dr. Richards' advice, S.H.I.E.L.D. has chosen to keep her in reserve for when needed because the Watchers could theoretically shut off her access to their knowledge if it is abused, denying S.H.I.E.L.D. access to it in the future when it might be really needed. S.H.I.E.L.D. has assigned Emi a handful of covert operatives as shadow handlers, mostly to make sure she doesn't say something to someone about Top Secret things that they shouldn't know. They move in and out of Emi's life on a routine basis, acting as friends and co-workers or even maintaining secondary jobs as cover for keeping an eye on her as she pursues her own interests, mostly scientific research and odd inventions.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
Re: The Know-It-All
October 09, 2021 05:02AM
Very interesting character, strong support type. I can just imagine pairing her with Cassius Petronius the finger smiley

What software did you use to create the pic, or is it from a game?
Re: The Know-It-All
October 11, 2021 05:09PM
Lucho
What software did you use to create the pic, or is it from a game?
City of Heroes MMO

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 18
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.