The Earth-Casual Campaign Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
The Earth-Casual Campaign Thread
January 13, 2009 03:46PM
Judge: Lubidius

Player Slots Filled: 0 of 7

Campaign Links: Earth-Casual (original location), Earth-Casual (second location)

Game World Overview: Also known as the "Marvel Casual PbP Campaign", in this advanced TSR Marvel RPG campaign the Civil War has recently abated. The government is seeking out new initiatives to take on the long and hard road of counter-terrorism in the free world. The character group is based out of New York City, but will be given missions around the world, and around the street-corner. The backdrop for this campaign will be recent real-world events, spun into a what-if scenario with global ramifications. Character sub-plots will have heavy influences from Marvel of the late 70s to early 80s; mixed with movie script sentiment. In this game, if you can think about it, you can likely do it, given the appropriate time and role-playing to help it make sense in the story. No power gaming please. This is for fun, casual enjoyment by all. We are here to enjoy ourselves, not compete with one another.

Character Generation Guidelines: You may go the completely random route, as described in the Advanced Players Handbook or Ultimate Powers Book if you choose, or you may use the following method...

- Pick your Origin type

- Use the random rules to create the ability scores based upon that chosen origin type (mutant or normal human makes a difference in the rolling)

- Then move your attribute levels as you wish amongst the FASERIP abilities to suit your character's generalized background.

- I will then allow folks to use the following total initial powers / talents / contacts:

Powers: pick any 5 from advanced book or ultimate powers book

Talents: pick any 4

Contacts: chose any 3 (please be reasonable on this, and have a background reason for the connections that is not far-fetched)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 02:55AM by The Last Duskblade.
Re: The Earth-Casual Campaign Thread
January 13, 2009 04:54PM
This game has been going quite well. Lubidius is doing a comendable job as a first time GM.
Anyone up for a very very casual online PbP with the Advanced set?
July 08, 2008 03:56AM
I'm brand spanking new at GM'ing this system ; although I did play it in the mid-80s for several years.

First off a MAJOR SHOUT out to the admins of this site. Not only is this one of the best RPG sites around, it's information is quite nearly the best site on the internet , period. Very up-to-date, chock full of information!!. You can tell a lot of love went into this site. Ok, nuf of the mushy stuff. Thanks for this wonderful site!

As a means of testing whether or not I actually understand these rules again, I'd like to run a very very very laid back (did I say very) campaign via google groups. Anyone interested? sign up at this link

[groups.google.com]

We'll start things rolling in about 3 weeks. But up to that point, feel free to Join the group, and wait for basic campaign starter information soon. I reserve the right to ever 3 months, take a month OFF hietas to regroup my thoughts as GM, and compose material for the campaign. It will be 3 Months ON, 1 Month OFF, so that people can take a breather in between. Posting will be Once a day requirement* (Friday Saturday, optional), and if you have extenuation circumstances as to why you cannot post, just message me.
Re: Anyone up for a very very casual online PbP with the Advanced set?
July 08, 2008 07:25AM
I've posted an overview:

http://groups.google.com/group/marvelpbp_casual/web/campaign-overview

At this point I'll stop bothering you all. If you are interested, just click on "Join This Group" at the site's main page. You will be asked a simple question so as to confuse spammers.
July 08, 2008 11:39AM
Are you talking just the Advanced Players and GM's books or are you also including the Ultimate Powers Book?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 08, 2008 12:59PM
Feel free to also use the ultimate powers book as well. I should have noted that.
July 10, 2008 03:58AM
We are close to having enough folks to have a good starting group. We have 3 signed up, with 2 having submitted some very nice character proposals. So, I'm just here to ask if there are any on-the-fencers out there, looking for a casual PbP game. when I say casual, I mean just that I will cater to all levels of RP capability and experience with the system. I do have some rules as to posting frequency, which you should read before requesting to join the google group:

[groups.google.com]

Click on the Campaign Overview for posting requirements.

Thanks, and hopefully this is the last time I bother everyone.
July 10, 2008 10:22AM
The posting rate doesn't bother me so much, but with the range of characters I already have would I have to create one specifically for your game?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 11, 2008 05:10AM
Let me get a feel for the group make-up and I'll get in touch privately. I did plan on "up"ing the rolled up characters to represent extra experience prior to their combining as a group, so, I'm sure we can work something out. We could use one of your characters as a mentor or leader, and bring in a storyline as such. We'll see what we can shenagle. I'll private message or email you once we have all of the others characters in place.
July 11, 2008 07:47AM
Well I can do the random route (and did roll a few in the meantime), but filling in all the backgound details and such and keeping it creative can be more taxing than simply rolling up a range of powers and abilities, although a leader/mentor roll does happen to be a nice position to helping out a group. I can always PM you the rough work simply to see what you think of the random character in the meantime.

-- Peter David

July 11, 2008 09:47AM
Just hold off fleshing that character out. Let me get some feedback from the other folks that have joined the group. I wish there was more flexibility in the core character building methods. I think the main concerns with fledgling players, would be to allow the random attributes at the very least, and then folks pick and chose a majority of their talents and powers, with at least one random. Is that agree-able? If you all know of alternative character buiding methods , here, or posted elsewhere on forums, let me know. As I've stated, I'm new to the game as far as since the last time I've played it (20 years rusty!) but catching on to it fast. In playtesting it again with local folks, it's a remarkably intuitive system. I've also played the MURPG, and although it is innovative, I've actually found that my young son (6yr old) likes classic MSH RPG, much better then the stone allocations in MURPG. I assume that is overall why you all are still playing this game after all. smiling smiley It really is nice..
July 11, 2008 10:00AM
Suggested Update To Creation Rules (for this casual PbP campaign)

- Pick your Origin type
- Use the random rules to create the ability scores based upon that chosen origin type (mutant or normal human makes a difference in the rolling)
- Then move your attribute levels as you wish amongst the FASERIP abilities to suit your character's generalized background.
- I will then allow folks to use the following total initial powers / talents / contacts:
Powers : pick any 5 from advanced book or ultimate powers book
Talents: pick any 4
Contacts: chose any 3 (please be reasonable on this, and have a background reason for the connections that is not far-fetched)

This seem fair? ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2008 10:02AM by Lubidius.
July 11, 2008 01:38PM
My membership is pending.
Look for my thread in "Your Favorites" on this site, to see tha character I'd prefer to play.
July 11, 2008 06:18PM
If their are any spots left open I would find it exciting to give it a try.
~cypher
July 12, 2008 02:36AM
Cypher. Yes we should be able to work you in. Just go to the google group and request to join.
August 17, 2008 09:48AM
Sweet i just requested to join the group

EpicSmith
August 17, 2008 11:11AM
w00t! thanks for acepting me! cool smiley

EpicSmith
August 25, 2008 12:25AM
Out of curiosity...... Is this game going well, or at all?

Do give us an update if you get the chance. cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
August 25, 2008 10:21PM
This game is going great. Lubidius is doing exactly what he set out to do-no body (Player or DM) is going overboard and we are just playing a good game the way it was meant to be. I'm glad I got in on this one.

(IF your looking to get in LD) Lubidius, I know you said you were done taking players but if you have the appetite for one more I vouch for Last Duskblade. He's a good guy. If you want in LD-the one thing is you've GOT to post daily.

If your looking for a play by play I'm not sure if it's ok if I give up the club house secrets but if its ok with Lubidius I'll be glad to drop by from time to time to spread the news.
August 25, 2008 10:32PM
ghost160 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This game is going great. Lubidius is doing
> exactly what he set out to do-no body (Player or
> DM) is going overboard and we are just playing a
> good game the way it was meant to be. I'm glad I
> got in on this one.

Excellent. I'm glad to hear it.

> (IF your looking to get in LD) Lubidius, I know
> you said you were done taking players but if you
> have the appetite for one more I vouch for Last
> Duskblade. He's a good guy. If you want in
> LD-the one thing is you've GOT to post daily.

I've still got my hands full running my own game, as you know, which is very much in it's beginnings. Plus I'm working on a ton of other things in real life that keep me from playing overmuch. But thank you for your consideration nonetheless. grinning smiley

> If your looking for a play by play I'm not sure if
> it's ok if I give up the club house secrets but if
> its ok with Lubidius I'll be glad to drop by from
> time to time to spread the news.

Actually I have been wanting our site here to be more of a hub for campaigns than it has been in the past. In that light, I would love it if you (or your GM) would give us here at Classic Marvel the occasional update on the progress of your game. It may inspire new players to get involved, or new judges to start a new game. Both of which are excellent, and the main purpose of this website and it's resources. cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
August 26, 2008 07:16AM
> Actually I have been wanting our site here to be
> more of a hub for campaigns than it has been in
> the past. In that light, I would love it if you
> (or your GM) would give us here at Classic Marvel
> the occasional update on the progress of your
> game. It may inspire new players to get involved,
> or new judges to start a new game. Both of which
> are excellent, and the main purpose of this
> website and it's resources. cool smiley

That's a great idea! I'll do that when I get my game going.
September 01, 2008 03:46AM
Once we are done with our 'prequel' (really a test scenario to get ME up to speed, the players are all very well versed in Marvel, and an interesting combination of people.) ; I'll post a summary. I'm also tempted to draw and scan/upload a page of comic panels from the prequel. I'm not an artiste by any means, but I can mimic photos and comics to some degree. If I can at least use a model to draw off of, I can usually draw something at least 'ok'. I'll try and at least post some renderings of enemies (from the pictures in my head). The voice in my head, thats another story smiling smiley It's been going very well. And that is mostly due to the folks involved. I've tried to offer a glue and a push in the plot direction/s, but I am trying to let the characters take the reins as much as possible. The casual nature in it is that with the relative experience of the people involved, I've been able to step back and the front without disruption. (hopefully). I personally find online PbP play to be the only way I can GM. If I'm in front of folks face2face you tend to have to squeeze so much into a single night or day or playing, that you run out of ideas, or cramp your style to fill up the time. Oh well, the goal is just to enjoy the game.
September 01, 2008 06:39PM
Id say its going well so far. Im certainly curious to see how your story is going to play out and Im having a blast with my new character. I created him just for this game.
September 03, 2008 05:36AM
What I thought would be cool is to open up the story for artists to "pencil" a panel or two for. Let artists here at classicmarvel.com have some time to review the threads, then let them submit a panel image interpretation of the events. It would serve two purposes, 1.) Give artists a muse to complete comic book style renderings 2.) Offer several different artist impressions of what the characters look like and the visual results of their actions. Oh well, I'll take a stab myself as a novice, and then if anyone else wants to take a stab at a single panel pencil of a scene in the campaign, then have at it. I think it will be fun. The first order of business is to flesh out the character images on this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/marvelpbp_casual/browse_thread/thread/ef00dc387a08b507

I'll take a stab for starters at drawing what my mental picture of the characters is, and then I'll let the players respond with recommended changes. I'm no artiste, just taking a horrible novice's stab at it. The effort will be to annoy real artists to the point of sickness, so that they will step in and do it right. LOL
MarvelPbP_Casual Campaign, Prequel Concludes
September 25, 2008 03:43AM
Greetings Marvel RPG Fans ! (in my best Stan Lee impression)

Our casual online PbP (Play-By-Post) team have just completed their "Prequel" scenario, entitled "A Little Trouble In The Big Apple". And I'm sure any Jack Burton fans out there will make the connection rather quickly. If you want to read through the threads of the campaign, my suggested viewing method is as follows -

1.) Go to the main MarvelPbP_Casual google group main page:
[groups.google.com]

2.) Click on Discussions (right-side table of contents), and browse out any of the threads that have "Prequel:" in it's title. There are many individual character threads, then there are two merged threads, then there is one final after action thread to meander. You may have to page over using the "older >> " link near bottom right to get to some of the first individual character threads.

3.) Viewing suggestion: Once you are inside a discussion thread, click on OPTIONS. Then click on VIEW AS TREE in the options list that appears to left.

4.) Rinse, repeat, enjoy.

I've had a lot of fun running this. The mix of players is working out well. We are currently 'not' open for new players. I am just posting this so that people can get some entertainment from reading the campaign threads. Eventually I hope to also draw up a panel or two of the players in action (in my mediocre pen and pencil comic fashion, an attempt none-the-less). We have some very interesting characters.
Re: MarvelPbP_Casual Campaign, Prequel Concludes
September 25, 2008 04:03AM
Been fun and sorry I haven't been able to do much this week just started a new job finally and been dealing with the stress of adjusting to that. Should be back into full form in another week or so though.

-- Peter David

November 17, 2008 05:32AM
Any further updates on this game that Judge or Players would like to share? We'd love to hear. grinning smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
November 17, 2008 01:50PM
The game has been going great. We are past the prequel and moving into Act 1.
Cypher AKA Rockhound
November 18, 2008 04:43AM
We are just now getting into the group "forming" officially. I've taken it slowly, to allow for the character personalities and such to brew. Also I'm sure there will be questions that arise as to if they remain independent or register with S.H.I.E.L.D under an initiative. As soon as it moves along this week, I'll post a short summary of what the group has done overall. It is a good group of folks; an interesting combination of characters. That can make or break a campaign. (No matter how good the individual players may be.) What I'm finding is that I'm very much "interested" in where it goes. It feels like an actual marvel group in the making.
November 21, 2008 05:21AM
We are now slowly getting to the first scenario. There are some really nice posts brewing. These characters are really good.

See this thread -

[groups.google.com]

For ease of viewing, I recommend you:
1.) click on "Options" to right of header of the discussion thread.
2.)Then click on "View As Tree".
3.) Then click on "Expand All".

It makes reading the thread a lot easier!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 9
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.