The Earth-1984 Campaign Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
The Earth-1984 Campaign Thread
February 11, 2009 02:48PM
Judge: Endless Flight

Player Slots Filled: 0 of 7 (Game Cancelled)

Campaign Links: Earth-1984

Game World Overview: Under Construction

Character Creation: This campaign deals strictly in the use of established Marvel characters, with statistics fitting the Secret Wars era.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 07:16PM by The Last Duskblade.
[Play-By-Post Interest] Secret Wars: What If?
February 08, 2009 04:48AM
Hi Guys,

I have always wanted to do this module as a play-by-post game. I have a few thoughts on this:

- I will be using the Advanced Set rules.
- I will award Karma at a faster rate (usually 2-3x), and will award Karma for weekly participation and role-playing.
- Players will use established characters, and any character that appeared in the Secret Wars is allowed.
- Continuity starts at 1984 in this game, so anything that happened after that in the Marvel Universe has no bearing on characters.
- Anything can happen! I'm interested in seeing a different result than the mini-series.
- I will be doing all the rolls, and will use a die-roller. I will use my own maps, most likely as well. I will post a map or two as an example if I can get enough players interested.
- I will use my own site: www.endlessflight.com

Thanks for looking! If you are interested, you can let me know either here (via post or pm), or you can register on my site, and post a reply in the campaign thread on the forum there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 12:10PM by The Last Duskblade.
Re: [Play-By-Post Interest] Secret Wars: What If?
February 08, 2009 10:00PM
::screaming like a school-girl:::

pick me pick me!

Can we play villains?

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
February 09, 2009 04:06AM
Thanks for the interest!

I'd like for the players to stick to the heroes, at least for now. It's an interesting idea you have there, but I'll probably continue the story after the series ends as it did in the books, so I think sticking to the heroes is a good idea for now.
February 09, 2009 08:44AM
Update:

I'm holding the game here at my home site, which is here.
February 09, 2009 08:57AM
Endless Flight,

I've sent you an e-mail.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
February 09, 2009 05:49PM
I see on your forum site that there is a "character sheet" format, yet we're to be playing characters that were brought to the Battleworld by the Beyonder.

Are you looking for player-customized character sheets? For example, is James Rhodes as Iron Man stuck with the Mark (whatever) armor? Banner-controlled Hulk? Can somebody else get the Venom symbiote?

February 10, 2009 01:22AM
That's just the format I'm using for the game. I like to have a set format for all players to use, so as to limit confusion.

Everything in the Marvel U. up to Secret Wars happens as is, as your examples like James Rhodes and Bruce Banner. As far as the symbiote, I suppose if some other hero or villain found it, they could use it, although I'm not sure at this point. I don't want to speculate.
February 10, 2009 09:35PM
Sounds cool... do we bid on characters we want, or is it first come first serve?

Because I would like to play....

Nightcrawler.

February 11, 2009 03:02AM
Don't want to be Magneto? He gets his own fortress to work out of. winking smiley

Having reread the TP for Secret Wars multiple times recently I do have a question though, given that Spider-Woman was added for her first appearance during the SW as a citizen of that US Suburb it does leave the option there for someone to realistically have a non-Marvel character simply be having them be a citizen of one of those chunks of stolen topography who joined in like she did.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
February 11, 2009 03:38AM
Dead Sidekick,

It's first come, first serve.

You can have Nightcrawler if you choose. smiling smiley
February 11, 2009 10:59AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't want to be Magneto? He gets his own
> fortress to work out of. winking smiley
>
> Having reread the TP for Secret Wars multiple
> times recently I do have a question though, given
> that Spider-Woman was added for her first
> appearance during the SW as a citizen of that US
> Suburb it does leave the option there for someone
> to realistically have a non-Marvel character
> simply be having them be a citizen of one of those
> chunks of stolen topography who joined in like she
> did.

Hmmm. Denver, Colorado.

Home of:

Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter)

Gideon (and...his Ophrah Industries headquarters)

gods knows what SHIELD has there, given Denver's proximity to the Vault....

and then... various Guardsmen that became "the Jury" much later....

Good eye for detail, Nightmask!

February 11, 2009 11:04AM
But yes, I'd love to play Nightcrawler.

Of course, I'd play him with a bit more active role in Secret Wars winking smiley

Three-mile range teleportation in any direction?

Sold!

February 11, 2009 11:22AM
Dead Sidekick Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Don't want to be Magneto? He gets his own
> > fortress to work out of. winking smiley
> >
> > Having reread the TP for Secret Wars multiple
> > times recently I do have a question though,
> given
> > that Spider-Woman was added for her first
> > appearance during the SW as a citizen of that
> US
> > Suburb it does leave the option there for
> someone
> > to realistically have a non-Marvel character
> > simply be having them be a citizen of one of
> those
> > chunks of stolen topography who joined in like
> she
> > did.
>
>
> Hmmm. Denver, Colorado.
>
> Home of:
>
> Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter)
>
> Gideon (and...his Ophrah Industries headquarters)
>
> gods knows what SHIELD has there, given Denver's
> proximity to the Vault....
>
> and then... various Guardsmen that became "the
> Jury" much later....
>
> Good eye for detail, Nightmask!

And everyone loves hiding stuff in the suburbs. That doesn't even cover the other terrains (after all we had THREE super-technology fortresses from different worlds that would have allowed for interesting possibilities).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
February 11, 2009 01:32PM
I've got one player interested. Any one else?
February 11, 2009 02:08PM
Dead Sidekick,

> But yes, I'd love to play Nightcrawler.

Not to steal away from topic, but the idea of Nightcrawler ending up with the symbiote just blew my brain out the back side of my skull. eye popping smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
February 11, 2009 02:29PM
That could happen!

Then again, a villain could break into herobase and get the symbiote as well. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 11, 2009 02:38PM
Spoken like a true Judge. moody smiley cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
February 11, 2009 03:50PM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
> Dead Sidekick,
>
> > But yes, I'd love to play Nightcrawler.
>
> Not to steal away from topic, but the idea of
> Nightcrawler ending up with the symbiote just blew
> my brain out the back side of my skull. eye popping smiley

Heh.

I was just going with the whole Nightcrawler vs. characters that can't fly thing in my sick mind...

February 11, 2009 04:44PM
Dude, even if they can fly, the could be toast with the right die roll. grinning smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
February 11, 2009 06:25PM
Nightcrawler [Earth-1994 game]

BIOMETRICS:

Aliases: Gainsborough, Bamf, Great Boggie, Elf, Fuzzy Elf, Herr Indigo

Identity: Secret

Occupation: former circus performer, former Jesuit-trained priesthood student, adventurer

Citizenship: German

Place of Birth: Castle of Baron Christian Wagner, Bavaria, Germany

Known Relatives: Baron Christian Wagner (step-father, deceased), Margali Szardos (foster mother), Stefan Szardos (foster brother, deceased) Jimaine "Amanda Sefton" Szardos (foster sister)

Unknown Relatives (in 1984): Azazel (father), Mystique (mother), Magik II (foster sister), Gloria Brickman (foster sister), Rogue (unofficial foster sister), Abyss (paternal half-brother), Kiwi Black (paternal half-brother), Graydon Creed (maternal half-brother), Nocturne (future daughter)

Group Affiliation: X-Men

First Appearance: Giant-Size X-Men #1 (May, 1975)

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 145 lbs.

Eyes: Glowing Yellow

Hair: Indigo

Unsual Features: Nightcrawler has only three digits (including an opposable thumb) on each hand. He also has and only 2 toes on each foot, each longer than an ordinary human's. He has a prehensile tail, approximately 3'6" long, which can support his own weight. Nightcrawler has pointed ears and pronounced fang-like canine teeth. His spine is more flexible than an ordinary human being's, allowing him to spend much of his time in a semi-crouching position without damaging his posture and enabling him to perform contortionist-like feats. His body is almost entirely covered with a fine indigo-colored fur.

PRIMARY ABILITIES:

Fighting: EX (20)
Agility: AM (50)
Strength: TY (6)
Endurance: RM (30)
Reason: GD (10)
Intuition: EX (20)
Psyche: EX (20)

Health: 106
Resources: PR (4)
Popularity: FB (2)

POWERS:

Nightcrawler is a Gamma-Level mutant with the ability to teleport. Nightcrawler can transport himself with Amazing (50) ability across 2 to 3 miles (Feeble distances UPB Range "E") with ease. Exceeding his normal range limits is possible, but requires an Endurance FEAT. Failing this roll indicates disorientation or even unconciousness for 1-10 turns. Teleporting with 1-2 passengers causes everyone's Abilities and Powers to drop -2CS for two turns after arrival at the destination.

- As a Power Stunt, Nightcrawler can use his powers offensively by grappling with an enemy and teleporting him or her in a series of rapid jumps. The strain of these "multiple ports" can exhaust foes without superhuman endurance while Nightcrawler remains strong enough to continue fighting. Nightcrawler can also teleport away with part of a non-living target, severing it and causing Amazing (50) damage.

Teleportation: He teleports by displacing himself into the Brimstone Dimension, travelling through it, and then returning to his own dimension at a certain distance from his point of departure. He consciously determines his point of return. The entire process occurs so quickly that Nightcrawler is unaware of being in the brimstone dimension at all. Nightcrawler guides himself through the brimstone dimension by an unconscious, natural direction-finding sense. Although Nightcrawler controls his teleportation ability with his conscious mind, his power to teleport is not psionic. Rather it is the result of an unknown biochemical/biophysical reaction which he triggers mentally. When he disappears in teleporting, Nightcrawler leaves behind smoke with a stench reminiscent of burning brimstone. This is a small portion of the atmosphere of the brimstone dimension that escapes while the aperture is open. His teleportation is invariably accompanied by the muffled sound of imploding air rushing to fill the vacuum left where Nightcrawler's body was. The longer the distance over which Nightcrawler teleports himself, the harder and more exhausting it is for him to make the teleportation "jump." It is easier for him to teleport between north and south (along Earth's magnetic field lines) than it is for him to teleport between east and west (against the magnetic lines). Under optimal conditions, teleporting only himself and his costume, Nightcrawler can displace himself a distance of about 2 miles east-to-west, and up to 3 miles north-to-south. Making a vertical teleportation upwards is difficult and dangerous. Nightcrawler has made a vertical teleportation "jump" of 2 miles by pushing himself to his physical limits. Nightcrawler's powers automatically displace liquids and gases when he arrives in the course of a teleportation. Nightcrawler's momentum is retained throughout the process of teleportation: he arrives with whatever amount of inertia he left with. For example, if he were falling from a great height, he could not teleport himself towards the ground in order to save himself; he would land with the same velocity that he teleported with. He can subtract this inertia by teleporting short distances upwards (as though taking two steps back for every one forward). As part of his power, Nightcrawler has also exhibited a limited ability to sense the teleportation of other beings. The limits to the mass that Nightcrawler can carry with him while teleporting, and the limits to the distance over which he can teleport himself with additional load is unknown. When he transports a passenger over even moderate distances, they both feel weakened and ill, to the point of exhaustion. Teleportation over further distances could be fatal. Through practice, Nightcrawler has increased the mass he can teleport with him. (He once teleported himself and Storm from the center of a small island into the water just off its coast without harming either of them). The upper limits of this capacity are as yet unknown.

Subconscious Spatial Awareness: Nightcrawler has a very limited subconscious extrasensory ability that prevents him from teleporting himself so that his feet, for example, would materialize below the surface of the local ground. Because this ability is so limited, however, Nightcrawler will not teleport into any place that he cannot see or has not seen in the past. If Nightcrawler teleported himself into an unfamiliar area, he would run the risk of materializing partially or entirely within a solid object. If too much of his body materialized within a solid object, he would probably be killed.

Wall-Crawling: Nightcrawler can stick to objects with the surface of his hands and feet. This enables him to scale surfaces with Incredible (40) ability.

Indigo Fur / Light Bending Camouflage: He has limited abilities to blend into shadows, both as a result of his indigo fur and his connection to light-bending attributes of the dimension through which he teleports. This is also the explanation for why he constantly appears in shadow, even in direct light. Anyone looking for Nightcrawler in darkness [without infra-red detection / infravision] suffers a -2CS to Intuition FEATs to spot him.

Prehensile Tail: Nightcrawler's tail allows him to grab onto objects with relative ease. His tail is strong enough to not only support his body weight but also lift an adult man completely off the ground, and is deft enough to fight with like a sword or blunt object.

Infrared Vision: Nightcrawler's always glowing eyes grant him Excellent (20) night vision.

EQUIPMENT

Image Inducer: This Excellent (20) material strength device produces a holographic projection that can conceal Nightcrawler's true appearance with Incredible (40) Illusion power so that he may pass though society unnoticed and unharassed. Nightcrawler may program the device to produce different humanoid images.

Nightcrawler sometimes carries an Excellent (20) material strength sword with which he can do up to Good (10) edged damage, Fighting at Remarkable (30) rank with his talents.

TALENTS:

Martial Arts A
Martial Arts B
Swords [Fencing]
Pilot
First Aid
Acrobatics
Tumbling
Electronics
Mechanical Repair

CONTACTS:

X-Men

BACKGROUND [Birth through Uncanny X-Men #180 / Secret Wars I #1]:

Kurt Wagner was born with unusual physical characteristics, but his power of self-teleportation did not emerge until puberty. Margali Szardos, a sorceress and gypsy queen, found Wagner an hour after his birth, in a small roadside shelter in the Bavarian Alps. She found his father, Eric Wagner, dead of a heart attack on the road outside. Margali is said to have found Wagner's mother lying next to the baby and dying, but this assertion has been called into question, and not even Kurt Wagner knows the truth. Margali took the baby to the small Bavarian circus where she worked as a fortuneteller as a "cover" for her activities as a sorceress. Wagner was never legally adopted by anyone, but was raised by all the members of the circus, who had no prejudices against "freaks." Margali acted as Wagner's unofficial foster mother.

Wagner grew up happily in the circus, and his two closest friends were Margali's natural children Stefan and Jimaine. Long before his teleportation power emerged, Wagner had tremendous natural agility, and by his adolescence he had become the circus's star acrobat and aerial artist. Circus audiences assumed that he was a normal-looking human being wearing a demon-like costume.

Years later, the Texas millionaire Arnos Jardine, who ran a large circus based in Florida, heard of the circus Wagner worked for and bought it. Jardine intended to move its best acts into his American circus. However, he demanded that Wagner be placed in the circus' freak show. Appalled, Wagner quit and made his way towards Winzeldorf, Germany, where Stefan was. He discovered that Stefan had gone mad and had brutally slain several children. Two nights after leaving the circus, Wagner found Stefan and fought him, hoping to stop his rampage. In the course of the struggle, Wagner unintentionally broke Stefan's neck. Then the villagers of Winzeldorf, who assumed him to be a demon who was responsible for the child killings, discovered Wagner. They were about to kill him when they were all psionically paralyzed by Professor Xavier, who had come to recruit Wagner into the X-Men. Wagner agreed to join the group, but before they left for America, he and Xavier went to the Bavarian circus so that Wagner could explain to Margali about Stefan's death. However, Margali was not there. She held Wagner responsible for murdering Stefan [but years later, she learned the truth and she and Wagner were reconciled. Wagner was also happily reunited with Jimaine, who now lives in the United States under the name of Amanda Sefton.]

Wagner helped Xavier and Cyclops rescue the original X-Men from Krakoa. [Giant Sized X-Men #1] After most of the original team left for a time, Wagner, along with fellow new recruits Storm, Colossus, Wolverine, and Banshee, stayed as members of the new X-Men.

As Nightcrawler, he remained with the X-Men for years, and encountered adversaries such as Proteus [Uncanny X-Men #119, March, 1979] , the Brood [Uncanny X-Men #155, March, 1982], Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants Comics:[Uncanny X-Men #158, June 1982], Dracula [Uncanny X-Men #159, July, 1982] and even demons from the dimension of Limbo [Uncanny X-Men #160, August 1982].

Shortly after the X-Men rescue Kitty Pryde from a forced marriage to the Morlock Caliban, the Beyonder whisks the X-Men to his Battleworld....

Post Secret Wars I background and later discoveries [Secret Wars 1 #12 / Uncanny X-men #181 - present day]

In Japan, children are witness to the return of the X-Men from the Secret Wars. The X-Men came back from the Beyonder's planet with a giant-sized dragon. The dragon begins wreaking havoc in Tokyo with the X-Men saving lives and trying to prevent further damage.

Later, Nightcrawler fights alongside his fellow X-Men against the Juggernaut... and adventures with them for several more years...

Eventually, after being beaten into a coma following the massacre of the Morlocks by the Marauders, he left the team recover on Muir Island. Later, believing the X-Men were dead, he became a founding member of the British-based team Excalibur and eventually became team leader. Following the disbanding of Excalibur, Kurt returned to the United States along with Shadowcat and Colossus to rejoin the X-Men. Nightcrawler ended up taking a few leaves of absence from the team, one to enroll in a seminary and become a priest and the other to mourn for Colossus. Kurt returned to the team and eventually gave up on the priesthood.

Wagner later learned that his mother is the mutant known as Mystique. Raven claimed that throwing Kurt would give both of them a chance to survive.

The demonic mutant Azazel has also claimed to be Wagner's true father, spawning a number of mutants with dimensional powers to help him in his mad quest. It is unclear if Kurt or any of the others believed Azazel's claim.

Currently [2009 comics], Kurt is a part of Storm's X-Men squad. When not on missions, he teaches Drama to students of the reopened Xavier Institute.
February 12, 2009 01:34AM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
> Dude, even if they can fly, the could be toast
> with the right die roll. grinning smiley

Teleport onto the back of a character flying at considerable speed, and 'port them off course with inertia intact.... say, into the side of a building....

smiling smiley

February 13, 2009 04:18AM
Hey...

I volunteer myself to assist with the write-up of "Secret Wars-era" character sheets for this game (see my Nightcrawler sheet above) if volunteering is welcome.

smiling smiley

Re: The Earth-1984 Campaign Thread
February 13, 2009 05:33AM
Sure, we just need a few more players. smiling smiley
February 18, 2009 07:17AM
I'm interested as well... how do you feel about cross gender characters?

ie, a guy playing a female character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 07:19AM by Punstarr.
February 18, 2009 12:25PM
I don't have any problems with males playing female characters or vice versa. smoking smiley

If anybody is interested in playing, come on over!
February 18, 2009 12:35PM
Sounds cool! I'd like to play Rogue. Should be an interesting challenge and fun. smiling smiley
February 18, 2009 09:35PM
Punstarr,

Would you like me to work up stats for a "Secret Wars-era" Rogue for you?

February 19, 2009 04:37AM
Sure, although isn't that just the stats of her from the original Advanced Set?
February 19, 2009 08:40AM
Alright, I have three players interested so far, with these three heroes: Spider-Man, Rogue, and Nightcrawler. Looking for perhaps two to three more.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 6
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.