MHSP1 Secret Wars I adventure feedback

Posted by ericb007 
MHSP1 Secret Wars I adventure feedback
September 01, 2013 05:47AM
Greetings to the group:

I started with a new group of young gamers at a different location and am planning ahead. I'm seriously considering the Secret Wars adventure. I think we might have a steady group of at least 6 players every Friday. Has anyone played or Judged the Secret Wars I adventure? Any opinions? Is it even worth it? What is the players make their own super heroes?

We're starting out with Day of the Octopus. But anything could be next.

Thanks!

The MCC FTS Role-Playing Game Club
[www.youtube.com]
Re: MHSP1 Secret Wars I adventure feedback
September 02, 2013 09:03AM
It's a fair module, but it's hard for it to replicate the grandeur of the actual limited series and it also has some problems with railroading to correct. The karma bonus for driving off Magneto for example, or the penalties for the heroes winning (after all there's no way any of them outside of maybe Rogue has the fondest wish of being a depowered normal human especially those like Thor or the X-men). You'd need to tweak those to be actually fair and allow for more open-ended play.

Playing with other heroes would also be possible but take much more work to set things up (particularly since if you're using the Marvel universe instead of a homebrew setting introducing an unknown super-genius to fill Doom's role rather than using Doom or Molecule Man when he's also so essential).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
September 02, 2013 05:03PM
Thanks!
September 05, 2013 08:14PM
the secret wars 1 was ok, there is a part where the for the big fight with villains or beyonder he will boost some one to herald stats.be fair of chances with pc there or make temporery or at worst you could give minor boost tom all the pcs
September 06, 2013 03:57AM
Indeed. I'll keep that in mind.
September 06, 2013 09:49AM
ericb007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indeed. I'll keep that in mind.

You'll also have to keep in mind it was written for the Basic set so if you're using the Advanced you'll have to deal with the greater details and options that result and convert things appropriately.

Given your past successes though I'm sure you'll do a great job and we'll likely all enjoy hearing about them.

Just watch out for the railroading, and if you play the sequel Secret Wars 2 you'll have to fight even more railroading (among other things you can be sure it's got penalties for things like accepting the Beyonder's gifts even if they shouldn't have any or creative PC manage to reasonably overcome them). Oh, and try to ignore the screwover the Molecule Man gets in the final chapter, it's rigged so that he's most likely going to die or end up depowered AND fails to give penalties of full karma loss to heroes who actively try and burn him out after offering to help him repair the earth (since he's trying to save the entire planet as a true hero yet the supposed heroes are actively trying to make him fail and kill him, which should really lose you all your karma). Just ignore that and have him automatically succeed and keep his powers (just don't inform the players of that).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
September 06, 2013 03:14PM
hes right the second one is a bit screwy,but hey as judge so run with it.
September 07, 2013 04:37PM
Got it. Yeah, I like the Basic I rules.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.