Your Ideal Marvel game!

Posted by Wendell_Burke 
Your Ideal Marvel game!
December 05, 2016 12:45PM
So I brought this up in another thread but I'm curious to see how many users on this site are active and what your ideal Marvel game would be?
I ask because while looking for a game, I find that most gamers I've encountered don't seem to have hardly any prerequisites for a game and this just stuns me. If you do, let's hear about it! Comic time period/ Character or game type (Heroic, Vigilante, other)/ Players talking in character or no? NPC's played in character or no? High power? Low power? Slapstick game or serious as hell? Let's hear what you're looking for!
Re: Your Ideal Marvel game!
December 05, 2016 02:51PM
Wendell_Burke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I brought this up in another thread
> but I'm curious to see how many users on this site are
> active and what your ideal Marvel game would be?

I think my ideal game would involve me not being the GM for a change. grinning smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 07, 2016 10:16AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> Wendell_Burke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So I brought this up in another t
> hread
> > but I'm curious to see how many users on this si
> te are
> > active and what your ideal Marvel game would be?
>

>
>
> I think my ideal game would involve me not being t
> he GM for a change. grinning smiley

smiling bouncing smiley

I second that!

December 07, 2016 12:58PM
Ha! For realzies, what are your ideal games? At this rate, i'm considering running one just to gives you guys a chance to be players. <winking smiley
December 07, 2016 01:35PM
Mine is one with original characters given a huge world to explore. Also, one where it appears anything is possible.

Power level would be RM-AM with the chance to advance beyond that.

I also want real MAGIC! None of the "magic is really just high technology!" garbage.

December 08, 2016 03:10PM
That's it? Have you had a hard time finding a game like that? Man, I had to outline the game I was looking for and it got to be like a page and a half long.
December 13, 2016 03:54AM
For purposes of ideals:

- Heroic four color style game that invokes the 1970-80s.
- Medium Power levels
- Heavy emphasis on Role Play but combat not ignored
- Use of prepublished material
- Set in the Marvel Universe
- In person preferred, but over a VTT with in character and out of character talk over a mic accepted.
- if in person, use of heroclix as miniatures
- Also if in person, use of 3D terrain
December 13, 2016 12:40PM
J Bone: <grinning smiley It's nice to see someone else with a bit of a list! I've had a lot of trouble finding gaming groups that appeal to me so I've really gotten into talking about the game to be had.

- Heroic four color style game that invokes the 1970-80s.

>>Nice! My own taste runs pretty close. For me, I'd say late 1980's-1990's barring where everyone has to be a mercenary or vigilante and the rediculous huge events, but I do really like how the comics started to get deeper into more serious stories and character exploration in some books during this period. I like that a lot about modern comics, but I don't really care for every story being an earth shattering one.

- Medium Power levels

>>What do you consider to be 'medium'? I tend to like lower powered games, but that can be anything from Daredevil to maybe like the X-Men as individual characters, where no one has a ton of powers and the ranks are fairly modest. Maybe a cap of Incredible to begin.

- Heavy emphasis on Role Play but combat not ignored

>>Me too, very much so. I like to explore the character and the world he's in. It drives me crazy when I try to talk to an npc and a GM tells me 'He doesn't matter. He's nobody.' I do love beating up bad guys, but I want to build the relationship with the other players and their characters. I like that whole 'gradually meshing together' thing. I always loved that about some of the X-Men books where they'd go out for beers and talk or hang out at the mansion together. I've been in games (briefly) where the players didn't interact with each other, only with the GM. I was the only one who noticed. It just bored the hell out of me.

- Use of prepublished material
- Set in the Marvel Universe

>>YES! Why is it that so many people who say they want to play Marvel Superheroes, don't want to play with Marvel Superheroes? For me a big part of the fun is starting off knowing no one and gradually getting to meet some of the characters in the Marvel U and maybe even forging some relationships there.

- In person preferred, but over a VTT with in character and out of character talk over a mic accepted.

>>Again, yep, me too. I don't mind speaking in and out of character, as long as everyone's basically speaking IN character during interactions. I've played in games where the GM's didn't want to do voices or anything and I just can't do it. I mean, no one has to be a pro actor or anything, but hell, it's an RPG! Give it a go at least!

- if in person, use of heroclix as miniatures
- Also if in person, use of 3D terrain

>> <grinning smiley Funny you should mention. On the way home tonight I stopped by my comic shop and picked up my 1st Heroclix to maybe use if I get a game going. They weren't around when I used to play, but I think it'd be a lot of fun to use them on a map for this game.
December 14, 2016 05:02AM
I'm pretty lucky that my online group is heavy into character interaction and is very comfortable with talking IC over a mic. The unfortunate thing is that so many of them really aren't into supers gaming and so we mostly stick to Pathfinder for better or worse. We have given Mutants and Masterminds a few shots and had some fun with it. Similar to what you mention about those down time activities, we once even played through a super powered hockey game which is the best memory I took from that particular campaign.

I love playing in the Marvel Universe because I find it such a joy to fight Marvel villains. Also I find its such an easier buy in to some of the areas and peculiarities. For example going to the Savage Lands or Latvaria carries a certain cache of assumptions. Rather than having to build them up for scratch for the campaign, we can hop right in and explore things familiar, and perhaps new.

Medium power levels to me evokes X-Men/Teen Titans levels. That said, I can easily get down with some Avengers level of game play. I've never played Cosmic levels but am certainly not adverse to it.

I've only ever once had the chance to use heroclix in a game. It was at a Con however so couldn't evolve into a campaign. Maybe if I can get my local crew out of the fantasy spinwheel I can get something going on that end.
December 14, 2016 12:28PM
J Bone
I'm pretty lucky that my online group is heavy into character interaction and is very comfortable with talking IC over a mic. The unfortunate thing is that so many of them really aren't into supers gaming and so we mostly stick to Pathfinder for better or worse. We have given Mutants and Masterminds a few shots and had some fun with it. Similar to what you mention about those down time activities, we once even played through a super powered hockey game which is the best memory I took from that particular campaign.

Man, that sounds great! I've tried to explain my desire to role play out bits like your hockey game and other situations, but it's like others usually can't understand why. I'm thinking, 'these are the moments of characterization that allow you to connect with individual characters. This is mandatory for me. I can't get into any stories without this.' I've never tried V & V but am curious to look through one of the books sometime. I made a character once for Champions. The two hour process gave me a nosebleed, but I did really like that I could create exactly what I wanted. The system accounted for everything and that was great just because it avoids wasted time down the line during the game. I hear Champions is much faster to play once you get past the character generation bit. I also have Mayfair Games DC Heroes which looked like it was somewhere between Marvel and Champions in crunch, leaning towards the simplicity of Marvel. I never got to try it though.What was your character like in that game?

J Bone
I love playing in the Marvel Universe because I find it such a joy to fight Marvel villains. Also I find its such an easier buy in to some of the areas and peculiarities. For example going to the Savage Lands or Latvaria carries a certain cache of assumptions. Rather than having to build them up for scratch for the campaign, we can hop right in and explore things familiar, and perhaps new.

Yes! That's another reason I love Marvel! I really don't want to reinvent the wheel every time I start a game. I'm not really at all interested in original game systems and rules. I'm not into monkeying around with mechanics. I'd like to actually PLAY with an established working system and world so I can get to it! I'm rereading the Marvel campaign boxed set for NY now. I love playing in Manhattan because it's so easy to look up general information on line and you have all of these great flavors of sections of the city! It makes New York seem even larger than it is in real life. That's another reason why I like keeping the power levels on the lower to mid level side. Keeping power creep at bay and focusing on the character nuance stuff can be great. I never want to waste anything when I run a game. I'm a firm believer that you can take a couple of common muggers and create a really great and entertaining scene for your players if you have open minded players who are willing to invest in the game. Investment is huge. I love when players can motivate themselves and are eager to explore and do things without waiting to be told.

J Bone
Medium power levels to me evokes X-Men/Teen Titans levels. That said, I can easily get down with some Avengers level of game play. I've never played Cosmic levels but am certainly not adverse to it.

I'm not against it so much. It's just that I've never really gotten to play the kind of game that I really enjoy. I've put it off many times, told that when the current game is over, we'd try mine, but it never happens and I stopped making that bargain.

J Bone
I've only ever once had the chance to use heroclix in a game. It was at a Con however so couldn't evolve into a campaign. Maybe if I can get my local crew out of the fantasy spinwheel I can get something going on that end.

We seem to have in common some of the more rare qualities of gamers. I'll tell you what, if you want to try a Marvel game on the side sometime, I'd be interested if it's like how you describe your preferences. I'd love to play that kind of game, but so far it's looked like the only way it'll happen is if I run it myself and even then, finding a few more players who are into the same style stuff is always challenging. Do you use Roll 20? If so, what's your handle there?
December 15, 2016 09:37AM
barna10
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> Wendell_Burke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> I think my ideal game would involve me not being t
> he GM for a change.
-----------------------------------------------------
>barna10:
I second that!
You guys need to institute the rule, Everyone takes their turn behind the shield as a Game Master.

One world of adventure is never enough.
December 16, 2016 12:57PM
I much prefer to be a player but I'm finding that I think the only way that I'll get the kind of games that I want is if I run them. I imagine it might be the same for the others.
December 17, 2016 03:41AM
I can serve in both roles and find that I really enjoy being a GM. So much so that I've spent GenCons running 7 time slots worth of games. But even still, I like to be able to kick back and let others take the helm.
December 17, 2016 04:42AM
J Bone
I can serve in both roles and find that I really enjoy being a GM. So much so that I've spent GenCons running 7 time slots worth of games. But even still, I like to be able to kick back and let others take the helm.

How are you with ongoing campaigns? I need to look into how much a roll 20 membership is for a GM.
December 17, 2016 10:15AM
For a game like Classic Marvel I wouldn't worry about getting a roll20 membership. Thats mostly used by folks running dungeon crawling games of organized play where you got players taking a character between multiple games. Other options for VTT are even better in my opinion that roll20 like Maptools. But roll20 seems to be where the largest, by far, amount of real time online players are these days.

I've run a lot of long term campaigns. Recently most of which have been Pathfinder which is fun because of the Adventure Path line that creates a fun narrative to play out over six books. Star Wars SAGA edition was an another one I ran a couple of long term campaigns in over the past few years.

With the Supers, the game I keep considering is the Gang Wars series, which is 3 books. I have no idea how long these books take to complete having never run them. But with a high RP crew and room for individual side stories, it could go several months to about half a year I reckon. But thats all with the time allotments available to players so hard to say.

Some of my regular PF players seem to be interested in getting some Supers stuff going but grumble about Classic Marvel vs Mutants and Masterminds. I need to review Classic Marvel rules myself to see what I remember.
December 17, 2016 04:34PM
J Bone
For a game like Classic Marvel I wouldn't worry about getting a roll20 membership. Thats mostly used by folks running dungeon crawling games of organized play where you got players taking a character between multiple games. Other options for VTT are even better in my opinion that roll20 like Maptools. But roll20 seems to be where the largest, by far, amount of real time online players are these days.

Interesting. I'm just big on visual aids, maps, character pics, etc. I'll poke around and see what else is out there.

J Bone
I've run a lot of long term campaigns. Recently most of which have been Pathfinder which is fun because of the Adventure Path line that creates a fun narrative to play out over six books. Star Wars SAGA edition was an another one I ran a couple of long term campaigns in over the past few years.

With the Supers, the game I keep considering is the Gang Wars series, which is 3 books. I have no idea how long these books take to complete having never run them. But with a high RP crew and room for individual side stories, it could go several months to about half a year I reckon. But thats all with the time allotments available to players so hard to say.

Some of my regular PF players seem to be interested in getting some Supers stuff going but grumble about Classic Marvel vs Mutants and Masterminds. I need to review Classic Marvel rules myself to see what I remember.

Lol, everyone's got their favorites. It can be hard to come to an agreement. <smiling smiley
December 18, 2016 06:13AM
Looks like someone has posted a Classic Marvel game on roll20. I applied, maybe some of the other folks here will do so as well.
December 18, 2016 08:31AM
J Bone
Looks like someone has posted a Classic Marvel game on roll20. I applied, maybe some of the other folks here will do so as well.

What? No link? <winking smiley
December 18, 2016 08:31AM
click on the roll20 link I put up there
December 18, 2016 08:55AM
Don't see a link but I think I found the game. Ah, not for me unfortunately. Such is life. Thanks for posting it though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 6
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.