Any play-by-post games starting up soon (forum, Discord, etc.)?

Posted by BWS2K 
Re: Any play-by-post games starting up soon (forum, Discord, etc.)?
July 02, 2023 08:52PM
OK, here's what I've got so far! He's a bit of a mess, but I think I see something in there!

Vegetable (-2CS Fighting, +2CS Endurance)

FASERIP
       Fighting: Good (8) [Remarkable (26) - 2CS (Vegetable)]
        Agility: Poor (3) [Feeble +1CS from Endurance cap]
       Strength: Good (8)
      Endurance: Incredible (36) [Remarkable (26) + 2CS (Vegetable, capped at Incredible)]
      Reasoning: Incredible (36)
       Intution: Excellent (16)
         Psyche: Excellent (16)

Health: 55
     Popularity: Is this rolled or set by body form?
      Resources: 0 (Vegetable)

TALENTS
Rolled: 1/4
Sonochemistry.

CONTACTS
Rolled: 0/4
Vegetables don't get any contacts, so this worked out well.

POWERS
Rolled: 8/10 -> 5

Gateway (Good)
(two power slots)
Based on his vibration powers below, I think this vegetable would create gates via vibrating molecules to open portals.

Prehensile Hair (Remarkable)
Vegetables don't have hair! But then I thought, maybe this one does? But then I thought again, and maybe instead of hair this vegetable has twining vines and suckers and that sort of thing that work pretty much like hair?

Vibration (Excellent)
These vibrations are generally too low to hear (according to the power description), so maybe the vegetable does this via contact with the ground or whatever surface with its roots/vines and works the power that way?

Sonic Generation (Amazing -> Incredible)
(Optional Power from Vibration)
The vegetable lacks a way to communicate... I thought by taking this optional power from Vibration maybe the plant has learned how to mimic speech in some way? Besides the other uses for the power, of course. I've never used this power before so I'm looking around for examples on it (the same is true for Vibration, actually), but I think picking it up made sense.

Absorption Power (Light) (Good)
(From Vegetable body form)
This power serves as a kind of enhanced photosynthesis.

Plants automatically possess Absorption Power (Good) to represent enhanced photosynthesis. Should this take up a power slot? If it does, I'll likely drop Gateway and roll something else for the remaining slot.

For background, I'm thinking this is an alien plant explorer. He uses his Gateway power to travel to new worlds/dimensions and make discoveries. He gathers samples of plant life into his form, so he could have a bunch of different vegetable– type things as part of himself. He also plants roots in each world he travels to, as a way of colonizing new worlds for his "people." How well that works out for those worlds is an open question...
July 03, 2023 01:30AM
Bonus powers from forms do not take up slots. You can spend a power slot at creation to increase the rank if you want. You can increase it normally later.

Since you "lost" a rank of Endurance, you get a free +1CS to put anywhere you want

Popularity is calculated. I prefer using the Basic set for this

July 03, 2023 01:53PM
Sounds good! I'll add that +1CS to Agility. Something about seeing a Feeble up there makes my teeth itch... smiling smiley

I won't spend any power slots to increase any ranks. It's a nice option, but I wonder if a one rank improvement makes all that much difference? I know I'm bumping up my Agility by one rank, but that seems different to me than giving up a potential power for a slight increase.

Can you help me figure out starting Popularity? From page 7 of the Player's Book I think I should start with Popularity 10. Being an alien (or classed in that group), should I apply a -5? I think a vegetable with a secret identity would be very amusing, but probably highly unlikely. How many sentient plants are there likely to be? I'm also curious about the first two modifiers, is it an either/or kind of thing (if the identity is not publicly known it must be secret)?

I rolled up a Weakness, too. It comes out to an Elemental Allergy to Scandium (rolled 1– 100 on the Periodic Table), applying Power Negation for a Limited Duration after Contact.

For the Talent, I was thinking Sonochemistry from the Ultimate Talents list. It seems to gel nicely with the source of most of his Powers.
July 03, 2023 05:20PM
You don't need to have a weakness.

If you spend a power slot to increase a bonus power, roll a new power rank and combine the two.

July 03, 2023 05:50PM
OK, I think he's about done! I made some changes (added 1CS to Agility, added the photosynthesis power, added the Talent), and I think I'm pretty done.

Oh, the Popularity. Should that be 10, 5, something else? I don't think he's going to have a secret identity (how would that work?), but does that make him a public figure?

I see the Dark Forum is up, nice. I created an account, and I'm excited to see things get going!
July 03, 2023 10:48PM
July 04, 2023 07:43AM
Huh. I always thought the Player's Book was the Basic Book, but I was wrong. I picked it up, read through it a bit, and found the Popularity section. I feel pretty good thinking initial Popularity should be Good (10). That's what I'll go with, and I'll edit my character post for that.

EDIT
Odd... I don't have the option to edit my character post above. I'll just make a note of it, going forward.
July 05, 2023 03:56AM
July 05, 2023 04:00AM
Can you please message me the link to the forum when you get a chance? No rush.
July 05, 2023 08:49AM
I added my character to the forum. I try to reply to my first post (by clicking on "New Reply") to make a new message for further details (like you did with the Lightspeed example), but it appears to make the new message an addition to the bottom of the initial post. Am I doing something wrong? You'd think I would be able to add messages to a thread, but then again, I'd be wrong... tongue sticking out smiley
July 06, 2023 07:41AM
hmm, let me check permissions...
The"New Reply" button seems to be out of whack and at the top of the thread.....

I had some styling issues when I ported the forum a few months ago, apparently still have some.

You should be able to use the "Quick Reply" section at the bottom. Hit "Preview Post" if you want to format it.

July 06, 2023 07:42PM
Looks like your fixes fixed the problem! I'll get a banner prepped, some bio details, and then I think that should about do it.
July 07, 2023 06:18AM
July 07, 2023 07:18AM
That quirk list looks cool, I might make some minor changes to my character in that light. I still don't have a link to the Dark Forum though, so whenever that happens would be great. No rush. Excelsior!
July 07, 2023 11:49AM
July 07, 2023 12:09PM
Ah, apologies! I didn't get any notifications or alerts. Weird. Porting things over now!
July 07, 2023 06:49PM
Something a bit odd again. I was able to add my character story as a separate message to the thread, but when I try to add another message to the thread (for a Quirk Worksheet), it gets added to the end of the #3 message instead of becoming the #4 message. This happens whether I use the Quick Reply feature or either of the New Reply links (top or bottom).
July 08, 2023 03:17AM
I noticed that too.

A couple questions:

When you say "Marvel world (80s supers, but modern day)", does that mean all the Marvel heroes from the 80's but in modern-day? Like, Civil War and other events haven't happened, not a jillion spider-clones, there's only one Deathlok, etc.? Our heroes would know of Captain America and SHIELD and the X-Men, etc.? Sort of a 'everything you know from the 80's comics but it's 2023 and they have smartphones and electric cars'?

My character has some distance attacks and the bow Talent - is it okay if I decide to combine those, to have, like, different kinds of arrows? I'm just thinking about how it'd all work together. He has a chemistry Talent as well, so it kinda tracks. Not sure yet.
July 08, 2023 01:02PM
BWS2K
I noticed that too.

A couple questions:

When you say "Marvel world (80s supers, but modern day)", does that mean all the Marvel heroes from the 80's but in modern-day? Like, Civil War and other events haven't happened, not a jillion spider-clones, there's only one Deathlok, etc.? Our heroes would know of Captain America and SHIELD and the X-Men, etc.? Sort of a 'everything you know from the 80's comics but it's 2023 and they have smartphones and electric cars'?

My character has some distance attacks and the bow Talent - is it okay if I decide to combine those, to have, like, different kinds of arrows? I'm just thinking about how it'd all work together. He has a chemistry Talent as well, so it kinda tracks. Not sure yet.

First, yes. "80s" era Marvel world without the funkiness of the 90s or 2000s, but in 2023. We will probably include stuff from the cinematic universe, like The Snap.

Not sure what is going on with the forum, investigating...

Yes, you can have special arrows and the ability to make more. You won't be a hi-tech hero so you shouldn't be inventing other things, but maybe you have an ally that supplies you?

July 10, 2023 08:30AM
OK, we are starting with the swimmer, the tree, and my recently random-rolled Jedi

L.I.S.T. Local 41 starts with 3 heroes!

Still open for more players, but no reason we can't start!

July 15, 2023 07:48AM
I'll play along.

barna10
Thoughts for character creation...

I plan on this being a street-level game. Characters shouldn't have anything above an IN. Column shifts above IN are fine (ie IN Fighting + Talents), but no power, attribute, or resources above IN.

You can choose / model your stuff using this array of stats: IN, RM, RM, EX, EX, EX, TY, TY, and everything else GD (as many as needed). Start with three powers and two talents.

I will reward cool concepts with some bonus ranks, talents, etc as feels appropriate.

Okay, so using your stats array, I have put together the following altered human:

CHANCE
Fighting - EX (16)
Agility - EX (16)
Strength - TY (5)
Endurance - EX (16)
Reason - GD (8)
Intuition - IN (36)
Psyche - RM (26)

Health: 53
Resources: - GD (8)
Popularity: - 0 (not publicly known)

POWERS:
  • Empathy: GD (8)
  • Telekinesis: RM (26)
  • Probability Manipulation: (Good Luck, self)
TALENTS: Detective/Espionage, Sleight of Hand
CONTACTS: ?

3 powers (+1 for Altered Human) cut down to 3 again because Probability Manipulation is a 2-slot power. I did not choose one of the limitations in the book as I figured I'll let you decide what's best for your game. Not exceptionally strong, but the telekinesis can make up for that in a fight with its versatility and ranged use potential. In a hand-to-hand fight, the guy's got chops but he's not a trained fighter.

BACKSTORY: Jack Chance is a professional busybody, always sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong and having a good eye for details that would have made police detective an excellent vocation... if he had any respect for authority. Of course, his belief in an outrageous number of conspiracy theories would also get him quickly labeled as some kind of hack among the rank and file of police. So he goes about his own business, trying to help people where he can by solving mysteries and occasionally pushing back when push comes to shove. His powers are a mystery, even to himself. He has made some occasional inquiries to people in the know, and the one thing that comes up again and again is magic —as in someone or something has blessed him with these powers, but he has no idea who or why. What he does know is that people with powers generally keep them and/or their identities a secret, so he does make an effort to disguise himself by putting on a simple domino mask and, surprisingly he has been lucky enough to get away with no one figuring out that mysterious do-gooder Chance is actually Jack Chance. He relies on luck to get him through a lot of what he does, as well as using his empathy to feel out people involved in whatever mystery is digging in to when no other clues present themselves. But when things get ugly, he tries to be discreet with his power of telekinesis by causing "apparent" accidents to attack his enemies, such as objects falling from above or putting something at enemies' feet to trip them up... or occasionally to make himself a little more intimidating by giving himself a telekinetic boost when trying to jack someone up against a wall or otherwise restrain someone.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 18, 2023 10:16AM
Thrudjelmer
I'll play along.

barna10
Thoughts for character creation...

I plan on this being a street-level game. Characters shouldn't have anything above an IN. Column shifts above IN are fine (ie IN Fighting + Talents), but no power, attribute, or resources above IN.

You can choose / model your stuff using this array of stats: IN, RM, RM, EX, EX, EX, TY, TY, and everything else GD (as many as needed). Start with three powers and two talents.

I will reward cool concepts with some bonus ranks, talents, etc as feels appropriate.

Okay, so using your stats array, I have put together the following altered human:

CHANCE
Fighting - EX (16)
Agility - EX (16)
Strength - TY (5)
Endurance - EX (16)
Reason - GD (8)
Intuition - IN (36)
Psyche - RM (26)

Health: 53
Resources: - GD (8)
Popularity: - 0 (not publicly known)

POWERS:
  • Empathy: GD (8)
  • Telekinesis: RM (26)
  • Probability Manipulation: (Good Luck, self)
TALENTS: Detective/Espionage, Sleight of Hand
CONTACTS: ?

3 powers (+1 for Altered Human) cut down to 3 again because Probability Manipulation is a 2-slot power. I did not choose one of the limitations in the book as I figured I'll let you decide what's best for your game. Not exceptionally strong, but the telekinesis can make up for that in a fight with its versatility and ranged use potential. In a hand-to-hand fight, the guy's got chops but he's not a trained fighter.

BACKSTORY: Jack Chance is a professional busybody, always sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong and having a good eye for details that would have made police detective an excellent vocation... if he had any respect for authority. Of course, his belief in an outrageous number of conspiracy theories would also get him quickly labeled as some kind of hack among the rank and file of police. So he goes about his own business, trying to help people where he can by solving mysteries and occasionally pushing back when push comes to shove. His powers are a mystery, even to himself. He has made some occasional inquiries to people in the know, and the one thing that comes up again and again is magic —as in someone or something has blessed him with these powers, but he has no idea who or why. What he does know is that people with powers generally keep them and/or their identities a secret, so he does make an effort to disguise himself by putting on a simple domino mask and, surprisingly he has been lucky enough to get away with no one figuring out that mysterious do-gooder Chance is actually Jack Chance. He relies on luck to get him through a lot of what he does, as well as using his empathy to feel out people involved in whatever mystery is digging in to when no other clues present themselves. But when things get ugly, he tries to be discreet with his power of telekinesis by causing "apparent" accidents to attack his enemies, such as objects falling from above or putting something at enemies' feet to trip them up... or occasionally to make himself a little more intimidating by giving himself a telekinetic boost when trying to jack someone up against a wall or otherwise restrain someone.

Nice.

After discussion we've upped the array, go ahead and add an AM. Also, you can add a few quirks if you'd like. Most everyone rolled 4 or 5 powers as well. I will PM you the forum address. Let me know when you have created your account so I can activate you.

July 18, 2023 04:55PM
Is there a specific list of quirks, or just use the one on this site?

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 19, 2023 07:34AM
August 07, 2023 02:15AM
August 07, 2023 07:52AM
Understood! I hope it feels better very soon. smiling smiley
August 07, 2023 08:16AM
August 07, 2023 08:24AM
Wooo!
October 01, 2023 04:42PM
October 01, 2023 05:55PM
I noticed that earlier but didn't want to jump to conclusions. No worries on my end, I'm still fighting this ear infection thing and kinda in Dolphin Brain Mode, lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

RangerMatthias (5:48), the_hammer (5:27)
Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 12
Record Number of Heroes Online: 6 on January 11, 2016
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.