Classic Marvel - Rising from the Ashes

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Classic Marvel - Rising from the Ashes
April 12, 2008 05:53PM
Dear Friends,

It is my pleasure to welcome everyone back to the place where, most of us feel, conversations on the superhuman, role-playing and gaming in general belong. After over a month of difficult work and consideration, Skycutter has finally been able to get the website up and functioning. Based on over 15 hours of phone conversation and 33 e-mails with him, I can tell you that it was not easy. There were a number of issues with this website that were tricky to work out. A considerable amount of time and money was spent, just to get things where they are right now, and there is more to be done.

The database for the forum, dating back to the beginning, is in the hands of Aunt Petunia, as a form of insurance on the behavior of members of this community. In short time, if things remain civil, he’ll turn all of the old posts over and we will return to our regularly scheduled program. Until then I expect that everyone here will behave in a manner that represents the most common of courtesy and sense.

In the last month or so I have assisted the Skycutter in a moderator position, as it pertains to the operation and revival of this website. He has asked that I continue to do that from this point forward. With that in mind, I will be working with him on constantly improving the main page, while monitoring the forums. Both of us want this place to be what it used to be and I ask everyone here to help us accomplish that goal.

Welcome Home.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Classic Marvel - Rising from the Ashes
April 12, 2008 06:22PM
Freakin A. That is all.
April 12, 2008 08:37PM
Weeeee'rrrreeee baaaaccckkkkk!
April 13, 2008 01:25AM
Good to be back
April 13, 2008 04:14AM
Back in the saddle!

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Games
www.highmoon-games.com
FNG
April 13, 2008 06:04AM
Hurrah, it's good to be back!

FNG
April 14, 2008 03:06AM
I wasn't going to post much like I have in the last three years or so that I lurked here and yet I see this...
The Last Duskblade
In the last month or so I have assisted the Skycutter in a moderator position, as it pertains to the operation and revival of this website.

You did? exactly what was that? How much did you contribute? Since I know there was considerable money shelled out did you help in this regards?
My how it chaps my hide when people acted like they went to the fences to save this site and yet in other places they laughed and said how funny it was that Classic was shut down never to open again.... these are the blokes when ya shake their hand you need to count your fingers afterwards.
April 14, 2008 04:36AM
Honestly, can we perhaps take this opportunity of the relaunch to start off on the right foot? If you have an issue just take it to private (vie email or PM or whatever).

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Games
www.highmoon-games.com
Joe
April 14, 2008 06:36AM
Daniel
Honestly, can we perhaps take this opportunity of the relaunch to start off on the right foot? If you have an issue just take it to private (vie email or PM or whatever).

A-Men!
April 14, 2008 02:57PM
Yes I quite agree, especially considering we could get the original database back provided Aunt_Petunia doesn't see a bunch of flaming behavior like we had near the end.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 14, 2008 03:00PM
Nice to see the site up and running again.
April 14, 2008 06:22PM
Can I weigh in here... my old host is causing grief trying to get a backup of the old board. I am not holding anyone over a barrel on this. If I ever get it, I will send it on as quick as I'm able. The problem I see is that the host didn't understand how the internet worked. The longest issue was getting them to understand that the domain and hosting does not need to be at the same location.

Once resolved, upload the entire site as it last stood to the new hosting site and all will be well in the world. I will point out the locations and addresses of the messageboard, navigation system and search database. The search, email me and messageboard will required a bit of setting up, so good luck there ;-)

I am however, still holding the domain classicmarvel.com, that is all. I have been and continue to be available to assist in the transition and any questions that may arise.

CheerZ

P.

PS: Feel free to PM me. Hopefully I don't get bombarded so I should be pretty quick to respond :-)
April 14, 2008 08:17PM
aunt_petunia
Can I weigh in here... my old host is causing grief trying to get a backup of the old board. I am not holding anyone over a barrel on this. If I ever get it, I will send it on as quick as I'm able. The problem I see is that the host didn't understand how the internet worked. The longest issue was getting them to understand that the domain and hosting does not need to be at the same location.

Um, that should have been a big sign to not use them as a host. I mean, we're talking basic internet knowledge here.

Here's hoping it's all smooth sailing from now on.

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Games
www.highmoon-games.com
April 16, 2008 04:13AM
I'm just glad to hear that the site isn't down!
April 16, 2008 09:54AM
Grimjack
I wasn't going to post much like I have in the last three years or so that I lurked here and yet I see this...
The Last Duskblade
In the last month or so I have assisted the Skycutter in a moderator position, as it pertains to the operation and revival of this website.

You did? exactly what was that? How much did you contribute? Since I know there was considerable money shelled out did you help in this regards?
My how it chaps my hide when people acted like they went to the fences to save this site and yet in other places they laughed and said how funny it was that Classic was shut down never to open again.... these are the blokes when ya shake their hand you need to count your fingers afterwards.

Yeah, I'm posting... Because I find The Last DuskBlade comment just as confusing too. Nothing Personal TLD. Just can't recall such claims from Skycutter about your recent post. If it's true, then we weren't informed about it. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm merely stating an opinion that it's unlikely to not be informed about anything involving Classic Marvel Initiative or classicmarvelforever.com. All I do know is that the moderators/Admins over at Classic Marvel Initiative are in tight knit with Skycutter and we practically do bi-weekly conference calls & emails about how to improve this site and moderate efficiently to help the community... the only subject about you TLD that was ever brought up to my attention by other members on both boards via emails was the sudden and frequent request by you to be a moderator. But I could be wrong and just wasn't informed. It's possible, just not probable. In my opinion of course.

And speaking about the emails, They range far more than 33, closer to 100+, of course from some members of the old classicmarvel.com community and mainly consist of hate-mail from those I'd expect better from. Those I considered friends and still willing to be friends with if given the chance. Those I welcome to my home to be part of my gamers circle of friends, to make them realized that they are always welcome... and still are. Those I can B.S. with about stats of characters and help defuse a flame towards them or heart felt pm's from those who wish to share their concerns or feelings and are still welcome to do so. Even those I looked up too for creating amazing books that we love and enjoy to this day. It stings to hear Skycutter voice sadden by these emails, not all the emails are hate emails, but a good portion are. I know we all just wanted to be part of something big here. Some want to help make a difference for the community, or in some cases, themselves...sad to say. Sure we splintered off over mere differences and they were indeed mere differences, some even went so low to hurt other community members or forums, but failed thankfully. Well, it's in the past. We won't forget what happened, ever... so that we may learn from it, but I'd like to make the past just that. The Past. Set aside our personal griefs and issues and start anew. Like this forum. The thing is though, we need to be a community as a whole to pull this off. Can we grow past our differences? Tolerate even the littlest of mere issues? I'm running out of olive branches here and been feeling leery to giving them out freely for very good reasons presented to me of not by my own doing.
Classic Marvel - Still Feeling the Heat
April 16, 2008 02:28PM
Since this could quite possibly be my last post on any of these forums, I want to make sure I set the record strait. Because there is nothing worse than truth buried beneath a stack of fantasy infused lies and deceptions.

My place in this forum has always been one of neutrality. I’ve never flamed anyone, and likewise I have never been flamed. I’m pleased to say that I have made a number of friends here and even been lucky enough to get involved in an awesome campaign, ran by The Rook, who I also consider to be a dear friend.

When Aunt Petunia announced a while back that Classic Marvel was going to die, I was the very first one who offered to take over and operate the website, but it was The Skycutter who he wanted as his successor. Amazing (50) choice even though many were against it. From the beginning I thought it was a decent idea, but now that I know the man better, I can say there is honestly no better man for the job. Anyone who thinks that the guy is a glory hound bent on getting attention is terribly mistaken. I’ve found him to be one of the most down to earth, and helpful people I have ever known.

If some of you are confused by my post and why The Skycutter has asked me to aid him in the rebuilding process of this site, just ask him. For people who are in the know about what the man is up to, you certainly are in the dark. My opinion is that a Private Message or telephone call to him would have been more appropriate then publicly questioning the word of a forum member who has never been anything but respectful to everyone. Which is why I know there is little hope for any of these places.

In the case of me acting as a moderator or administrator, you are quite misinformed. Never, at any time did I asked for either position in any of the forums you could possibly be considering. The only mention I ever even made of it was in my post to Aunt Petunia, which went unanswered. The Skycutter e-mailed me and asked for my phone number, which I gave him. He then called and asked me to assist in the process of reviving this community. Let me repeat this again: He asked me. Not the other way around. Never once did I ask him to be a moderator, or administrator. Although when he thought Classic Marvel might not work out, he did offer me a moderator's position over at his forum, which I jumped at excitedly. To be clear, he contacted me for aid, after he saw me trying to extinguish flames on the boards. To prove it, I can provide the e-mail he sent me requesting my number, and a handful of others where he and I are discussing who we would want to have as moderators. Honestly I don’t really feel like I should have to do that since my word should be sufficient. If it is not, then there is little to talk about anyway.

You’ll never get anything but honesty from me gentlemen. I promise. I’ll either tell you the truth, or I’ll tell you I don’t feel it appropriate to discuss it. Some of the topics in this conversation fall into this latter category. If The Skycutter wants to post his opinions on this forum, he will do that. But I’m not going to divulge data from our telephone conversations as it is poor manners. Even though it would shed more light on this mess and make it easier to understand.

When I wrote about e-mails in my original post, I was talking only about the e-mails between Skycutter and myself. Not the hundreds of e-mails he told me he received from the many raging members of the community, who blamed him for the website not being up. Which I find hysterical, because most of the time he was receiving that anger-mail, he didn’t even have the website database.

In addition to the posts in this topic which I find to be lacking in general etiquette, there are a handful of others on the boards right now that fit the bill. While I understand that people are angry and need to vent, there are better ways to get answers, and create solutions. Anyone who thinks bashing peoples character, even if they deserve it, is a way to make this thing work, is delusional at best.

I’m sure that there will be members of this board that wants to pick apart my post and fail to learn from what has been offered. I’m not interested in debating with anyone about what the facts are. My confidence in the truth of what I know is unshakable. If anyone one has further questions about the website, forums, or my contributions, I suggest you talk to The Skycutter about these things.

My purpose and motives here have always been and will continue to be genuine. While I would never want to bail on a friend, after this most recent nonsense on these boards, I have to say my interest has waned and I am unlikely to stick around for much longer if things do not change.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
April 16, 2008 04:45PM
Well with that large post, I'll blindly take your word for it. But don't let this mere squabble run you off. Stay, I insist. I don't want you to prove a damn thing, you shouldn't have too anyways. Text is only like 9-11% of the conversation anyways and can be misread. You have been polite and neutral on both forums. And we could use more people like you on this one.
Re: Classic Marvel - Still Feeling the Heat
April 16, 2008 04:47PM
I have been following this thread very closely. The Last DuskBlade was the only one who did not want this site to die, when others decided to move on.

I want all to know on this forum that The Last DuskBlade is doing all that he can to help assist me in rebuilding this site. I appreciate all that he has done for the site and I hope that he will continue in helping me rebuild this forum once again! smoking smiley

The Cutter
April 16, 2008 04:53PM
I'm new to the forums (I've been using other elements fo the site for about a year now, and didn't even check the forums until soon before the site went down for the management change over). You have a real treasure trove here, and it would really be a shame to lose this place after you thought it was gone simply over an argument of who did what, when.

Might I suggest that a code of conduct might be in order? Not to prevent free discussion, but to require that it be civil enough so that there is communication of ideas rather than a comparison of who has the best flame thrower. Again, I know I'm new, so I don't want to overreach, but setting rules for discourse is a lot like building a road - it doesn't tell you where you have to go, but it makes it a lot easier to get there.

Darkness is an absence of light, and therefore only exists until light drives it away.
Welcome Toran
April 16, 2008 05:27PM
Always great to see new people come to the boards, and what better way to celebrate the site's continued life than by being able to welcome new friends into our community.

Hail and well met, Toran Ironfinder. May your stay here be a long and pleasant one. smileys with beer
April 16, 2008 05:34PM
Definitely... welcome to the boards! smiling smiley
April 16, 2008 06:29PM
Hey... what is this place? A forum of some sort? Interesting!

It appears to be a forum about people who set up a forum after they were going to lose their forum. And the moderator is someone named Jack, who is very Grim. He is assisted by his Aunt, Skycutter. Aunt Skycutter carries some sort of blade. Which is probably why she is so respected.

OK. Am I up to speed on this place? It's kind of... surreal...

Mark
April 16, 2008 06:51PM
OK,OK,OK since it seems my post is the reason folks are getting heated this will be my last post here and I will post once in the other place and leave this all behind but I will say what is my mind and be damn if you like it!! so if any of you with fragile sensabilties might not want to read further as you have been warn.

To The Last Duskblade don't leave because in all honesty you contribute much more to the forums then I ever have or will your a gamer and you love Marvel walking away isn't going to solve anything.That being said I do take issue with some things about my post I didn't flame you because had I flame you it would be a whole lot nastier then what I said trust me,did I ask some brash questions I most certainly did because I feel all of us every-damn-one-us is like a flea on a elephants ass we didn't make a damn difference in getting this site up and running besides the one who had it and the one who has it now...bottom line,end of the story!!! I also will say I do not lie either its hard enough for me to remember the truth let alone a lie so if I ask those questions do you think i don't already know the truth this may come as a shock to you but I too have a phone and when I posted it was only a few minutes after getting off the phone with Cutter....you had several choices when I posted answering my questions, tell me its none of my business or ignore me you took the third and I was fine with it did I chase you to other forum?? Did I keep on asking you with posts about my questions??? I will said again I do not apologize for what I wrote you clearly went out of your way to establish yourself as some important part of this site coming back up IMO that's how I took it right, wrong or indifferent.

Now something i need to say then i will step off my soap box and leave you all be... I know we play a game using are imagination in which we can fly shoot bolts of fire or lift a school bus,and I know I am probably the biggest dork in the south side of Chicago but when I see this I have to swallow my vomit back down.

The database for the forum, dating back to the beginning, is in the hands of Aunt Petunia, as a form of insurance on the behavior of members of this community. In short time, if things remain civil, he’ll turn all of the old posts over

and this
Yes I quite agree, especially considering we could get the original database back provided Aunt_Petunia doesn't see a bunch of flaming behavior like we had near the end.

I will assume most of us are over the age of 17 have we come so far in life that we cannot have different opinions? and now we must all tow the line or daddy won't give us back are toys, he dictates how we should behave? The problem you seem to have is you want everyone to think and act exactly the same my god there is nothing wrong with arguments or disagreements take 20 people there is bound to be things we won't all agree on and that's ok and its ok to say so as long as you do it in a manner where you are not hurting, degrading or as many here would say flaming I thought I lived in a society where its ok not to like what someone says and let them know. Me personally I would be ashamed if i wrote those words Lets be good sit in a circle play tiddly-winks and sing the I love you song from Barney? I thought this was a forum to express ideals, talk of are passion for comics, movies, rpgs post characters and at times disagree. Much like "I hated Daredevil" ,"Naw man it was pretty cool","Why would you think that?" You see its ok people relax big daddy isn't waiting with a belt to spank us if we squabble once in awhile as long as we do it with some decorum....anyhow I am out I won't come back and make everyone rattle with fear that Auntie P will keep the great and powerful database (sorry Auntie P I saw your post and understand but they didn't know it at the time).
April 16, 2008 07:17PM
Welcome all new people to the forum!!!

Grimjack,

I'd really prefer if you stay, but of course you will do what you please, as most of us would.

A couple of things are important though before we move on. One, I wasn't trying to set myself up as anything on this site. Again, get your facts strait. Two, if you already had the answers to the questions you asked, by virtue of your telephone with Remarkable (30) communication ability, then you must have been trying to incite some kind of drama on the boards. Which if you were truly a friend of The Skycutter, you would not do when he is trying to rebuild this community. Get your kicks in the game. Third, I've never been under the thumb of Aunt Petunia, so you can shake that from your mind. Don't even know the guy and have never had any communication with him, probably never will have a reason to. The only reason I posted what I did was to give the other members the option to work with the information I had.

At any rate, I'm not going anywhere.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
April 16, 2008 09:30PM
Ok ok, Hello everyone! I just had to say something. I love this place and I enjoy the people here! Even when we disagree! And I have had lots of'em. I don't know what has been happening since I have been away, but I can't fathom what is being said? I mean TLD, you sound pissed? You know I may not be smart at online stuff and RPGs, but I think you and Skycutter have a treasure here and I ain't blowing smoke up your arse! I just recovered from brain surgery in Oct. and my wife's heart attack in January so don't think for one second that I am kissing up. I ain't got time for that! We can go back and forth about facts and attitudes, but the fact is that this site is one of the best-period-! I've seen others that are similar, but lack the data and educated people we have here! Heck I remember how so many were comfortable enough to post about their lives and troubles and I saw many others post their advice and genuine concern! I remember arguing with Punstarr and that's how I got here in the first place! I have had extensive arguments with Nightmask whom I truly respect. I have seen Capocastillo grow in his willingness to be fair and objective as opposed to purely opinionated. I have even received a kind remark from you! Rag and Surge are consistent in their balanced responses and I seldom see them taken as offensive. We all make up a diverse and unique group. Now maybe some newbies messed things up or personalities have changed, but I never saw this coming and can only be shocked that it has....... No, I don't need you to wipe my face or feed me my bottle, but I do expect to be seen as someone who gives a damn! And for those who don't, the evidence will be in their posts! As far as rules, arguing for the sake of being argumentative and being just plain rude is where the problem lies! Vulgar and ignorant posts are not acceptable regardless of the rules! But while other sites are willing to kick off these offenders, we must not be quick to forget to uphold what makes this site the best! If anything I am glad to be back and I tried to get a response as to why the forum wasn't up and got no reply. Still I never stopped trying!

So what, what's the point?! The point is when you got something special you fight for it! But as you do... try not imply that anyone else here "would" do less! My thanks and respect to everyone here for whatever they did to keep things going!

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
April 16, 2008 10:11PM
Beautiful post. Thank you.

Honestly I'm not really pissed, just disappointed. I've tried to be a voice of reason in the place at times when there was none, and when someone treats me like I'm full of myself for doing what I was asked to do, I feel all I can do is spew the truth. If in doing that I have sounded angry or dissident, well I guess I need to work on my writing skills. You are right about this place being a treasure. I feel very much the same way, and will do what I can to help in the process of this place continuing to grow. Part of that I feel is to state the truths as I see them and govern a touch of unspoken policy. As I said in my original post: The most common of courtesy and sense.

Haven't seen that so far, but perhaps we will. Not because we want the old database back, or because we are afraid of Aunt Petunia. Just because we generally respect one another. At least I'd like to think so.

Thank you again for your insights.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
April 17, 2008 01:04AM
Nice to see some familiar icons smiling smiley
April 17, 2008 01:57AM
The_Skycutter
I have been following this thread very closely. The Last DuskBlade was the only one who did not want this site to die, when others decided to move on.

I want all to know on this forum that The Last DuskBlade is doing all that he can to help assist me in rebuilding this site. I appreciate all that he has done for the site and I hope that he will continue in helping me rebuild this forum once again! smoking smiley

The Cutter

Cutter my friend you I trust, the TLD not so much and neither should you.

*antithesis*
April 17, 2008 02:20AM
Why can't we just finish this ? confused smiley
April 17, 2008 03:31AM
Daelon
Why can't we just finish this ? confused smiley

Please, yes.

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Games
www.highmoon-games.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 22
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.