Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Yahoo! Presents: The Real Iron Man?
May 18, 2008 04:57PM
Here is the link:

[news.yahoo.com]

Here is the article:

By MARK JEWELL, AP Business Writer
Thu May 15, 1:44 PM ET

Rex Jameson bikes and swims regularly, and plays tennis and skis when time allows. But the 5-foot-11, 180-pound software engineer is lucky if he presses 200 pounds – that is, until he steps into an "exoskeleton" of aluminum and electronics that multiplies his strength and endurance as many as 20 times.

ADVERTISEMENT

With the outfit's claw-like metal hand extensions, he gripped a weight set's bar at a recent demonstration and knocked off hundreds of repetitions. Once, he did 500.

"Everyone gets bored much more quickly than I get tired," Jameson said.

Jameson – who works for robotics firm Sarcos Inc. in Salt Lake City, which is under contract with the U.S. Army – is helping assess the 150-pound suit's viability for the soldiers of tomorrow. The suit works by sensing every movement the wearer makes and almost instantly amplifying it.

The Army believes soldiers may someday wear the suits in combat, but it's focusing for now on applications such as loading cargo or repairing heavy equipment. Sarcos is developing the technology under a two-year contract worth up to $10 million, and the Army plans initial field tests next year.

Before the technology can become practical, the developers must overcome cost barriers and extend the suit's battery life. Jameson was tethered to power cords during his demonstration because the current battery lasts just 30 minutes.

But the technology already offers evidence that robotics can amplify human muscle power in reality – not just in the realm of comic books and movies like the recently debuted "Iron Man," about a wealthy weapons designer who builds a high-tech suit to battle bad guys.

"Everybody likes the idea of being a superhero, and this is all about expanding the capabilities of a human," said Stephen Jacobsen, chief designer of the Sarcos suit.

The Army's exoskeleton research dates to 1995, but has yet to yield practical suits. Sarcos' technology sufficiently impressed Raytheon Co., however, that the Waltham, Mass.-based defense contractor bought Sarcos' robotics business last November. Sarcos also has developed robotic dinosaurs for a Universal Studios' "Jurassic Park" theme park ride.

Jack Obusek, a former colonel now with the Army's Soldier Research Development and Engineering Center in the Boston suburb of Natick, foresees robot-suited soldiers unloading heavy ammunition boxes from helicopters, lugging hundreds of pounds of gear over rough terrain or even relying on the suit's strength-enhancing capabilities to make repairs to tanks that break down in inconvenient locations.

Sarcos' Jacobsen envisions factory workers someday using the technology to perform manual labor more easily, and firefighters more quickly carrying heavy gear up stairwells of burning buildings. Disabled people also may find uses for the technology, he said.

"We see the value being realized when these suits can be built in great numbers for both military and commercial uses, and they start coming down in cost to within the range of the price of a small car," said Jacobsen. He declined to estimate how much the suit might cost in mass production.

But cost isn't the only obstacle. For example, developers eventually hope to lengthen the suit's backpack battery's life and tinker with the suit's design to use less energy. Meanwhile, the suit can draw power from a generator, a tank or helicopter. And there are gas engines that, while noisy, small enough to fit into the suit's backpack.

"The power issue is probably the No. 1 challenge standing in the way of getting this thing in the field," Obusek said.

But he said Sarcos appears to have overcome the key challenge of pairing super-fast microprocessors with sensors that detect movements by the body's joints and transmit data about them to the suit's internal computer.

Much as the brain sends signals to tendons to get muscles to move, the computer sends instructions to hydraulic valves. The valves mimic tendons by driving the suit's mechanical limbs, replicating and amplifying the wearer's movements almost instantly.

"With all the previous attempts at this technology, there has been a slight lag time between the intent of the human, and the actual movement of the machine," Obusek said.

In the demonstration, the bulky suit slowed Jameson a bit, but he could move almost normally. When a soccer ball was thrown at him, he bounced it back off his helmeted head. He repeatedly struck a punching bag and, slowly but surely, he climbed stairs in the suit's clunky aluminum boots, which made him look like a Frankenstein monster.

"It feels less agile than it is," Jameson said. "Because of the way the control laws work, it's ever so slightly slower than I am. And because we are so in tune with our bodies' responses, this tiny delay initially made me tense."

Now, he's used to it.

"I can regain my balance naturally after stumbling – something I discovered completely by accident."

Learning was easy, he said.

"It takes no special training, beyond learning to relax and trust the robot," he said.

____

AP Photographer Douglas C. Pizac contributed to this report from Salt Lake City.

____

On the Net:

Video link to demonstration of Sarcos robotic suit: [www.raytheon.com]

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Yahoo! Presents: The Real Iron Man?
May 19, 2008 05:43AM
Now just cover that in Dragon Skin armor and you've one badass soldier.
May 19, 2008 02:47PM
What I think is kind of scary (read: cool) about the whole thing, is that they could run those armors by remote, and never even put a person directly inside. Just train operators to run them from some kind of control panel, however many miles away. Battles were no one even shows up. Video games taken to the best and worst level.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 19, 2008 03:00PM
Actually it makes me think more of the benefits in industy with hazardous conditions like mining or construction where tele-presence like that would allow one to work without fear of injury or death. Depending on how they compensated for the slight time lag it could even allow one to do remote-construction on the moon to reduce the amount of on-sight human labor using up resources and instead let the robots do the work since outside of routine maintence as long as they have the solar panels up and running and they're connected they'd have unlimited energy to work. With three shifts they could work 24/7 like you couldn't rotate humans in the same conditions and include built-in sensors you couldn't do with humans.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 19, 2008 07:23PM
Actually, I think it would be cool to have those remote units driving busses and taxis all around the city, eventually operating planes. Naturally to pilot you would not need the human shape robot/armor, but a remote unit for those types of things would be cool. Perhaps even some good uses for agriculture are important to explore.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 19, 2008 09:18PM
Well the remote-technology's been worked on for a while for such things, otherwise we wouldn't have unmanned spy planes and bomb disposal units, but as we have our world built to suit us the best way to manipulate and use human technology is by having robots, either remote-controlled or AI, that are roughly human-shape in design.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 19, 2008 09:33PM
Well, you missed my sarcasm I guess, but I agree with your post just the same.

I'm a fan of the idea that you could have a suit of armor, and an onlooker would be unable to discern whether or not it was manned. There is some power in that subtle manipulation and deception. Is is a robot, an exoskeleton, or a remote controlled battle armor?

Only your undertaker knows for sure. cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 19, 2008 09:54PM
A few more technical break-thrus and I imagine we could have something like that in limited production within 20 years, especially with a breakthru in microcomputer chip design and large-scale micro-circuit imprinting. Jack the processing power enough and it'd be astounding what we could end up seeing come about in the real world.

-- Peter David

May 20, 2008 01:13PM
Hmmm, a real thinker on this one! Well, looks like lots of folks will be out of a job.eye rolling smiley But is anyone scared about what this may mean for terrorists and military espionage[spelling?]? Or how about SKYNET scenarios? Hello?!! hot smiley

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
May 20, 2008 01:29PM
Skynet's not a problem without advanced AI capable of handling not just a single remote-operated robot but hundreds if not thousands and without some incomprehensable breakthrough in programming and/or technology that's not likely for decades if not until the next century. As far as terrorists go it's not really a concern because you don't need fancy high-tech weapons to cause terror, a simple black powder bomb with rusty nails and/or anthrax mixed in can do that just fine. The more high-tech they go it actually makes them more likely to be caught because of how limited the access becomes. Their victims are the ones in need of the fancy high-tech weapons and defenses to try and fend them off.

-- Peter David

May 20, 2008 01:42PM
Hmm, I don't know. You are right that Terrorists don't need high tech, but what if they got it. They would no longer need to sacrifice themselves! leaving masterminds to live on thinking up new stuff to do!? A thought!winking smiley

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
May 20, 2008 01:52PM
Remote controlled items like that though generate a trail to the ones controlling them, they're a liability in that sense unlike suicide bombers (which let's be honest here they're the ultimate in robots, lacking in fear with advanced creativity and problem-solving features that some machine just isn't going to match AND cost nothing to purchase or acquire).

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 17
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.