The Ultimate Origins Book - Loose Ends (Help Needed)

Posted by majortomsawyer 
The Ultimate Origins Book - Loose Ends (Help Needed)
March 23, 2014 10:26AM
So I wanted a book to work on that did not require me pestering Tammra Goodman.

I had found a few writeups I loved when working on the various Ultimate Origins Books, that simply did not fit with the Universe of the previous books. While I would love to do an Image one, finding good writeups of various Origin types for Image is hard to find (at least for me).

So, I am doing one,t hat will contain a catch-all for other Origins.

It will contain things from Image, other comics, novels, etc...

What I need help with is links/information on anything you would like included in the book. I am planning to avoid things like most Anime (that does include DBZ), Star Wars, Star Trek, etc... Just because it does not fit my tastes.

Although, if enough people want alien races from Sci-Fi shows (and provide me links), I might include them.

This book will contain Origins from DC, Marvel, etc... that did not appear in the previous books as well.

I can use other gaming systems (especially if someone has a conversion system) as well.

So please, post away letting me know what you would like to see in this book. With all hopes, it will be the last of the Ultimate Origins Series, and allow me to move forward on different material.

Re: The Ultimate Origins Book - Loose Ends (Help Needed)
March 25, 2014 09:41AM
So I do not have to maintain multiple lists here is the WIP Thread:

[gamingnerdsrus.co]

March 25, 2014 10:48AM
Prime goo (Ultraverse, Prime and Elven)
Compound V (The Boys)
Kheldians and warshades (City of Heroes)

I'm sure there's some origin ideas to be had in the old FemForce comics, too.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 11:14AM by Thrudjelmer.
March 25, 2014 03:24PM
Thrudjelmer
Prime goo (Ultraverse, Prime and Elven)
Compound V (The Boys)
Kheldians and warshades (City of Heroes)

I'm sure there's some origin ideas to be had in the old FemForce comics, too.

I could not find enough information on Prime Goo, or anything from FemForce. If anyone has anything, I could use the help.

I added the Kheldians, I was able to get some of the history from the Paragon Wiki, and Compound V.

I wish I could unread what I read about The Boys comic series - I even felt inclined to add a warning/disclaimer to it - the wife and I actually debated not adding them, and I only told her about half of what I read about the series. But, I am not going to debate the appropriateness about the series, I'll just stick to how I did the stats for them.

Here are links to the partially edited entries for both (mind you the proofreading team has not gone over these). Feedback wanted, needed:

[gamingnerdsrus.co]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 12:07AM by majortomsawyer.
March 25, 2014 03:30PM
Yeah, you can leave out all the inappropriate backstory and just stick to the basics... let anyone interested fill in the blanks themselves by either making up stuff for their campaign or reading the comics themselves.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 26, 2014 12:09AM
On more thought, and research into "The Boys" comic series, I simply do not wish to associate with anything from that series.

It has been removed from the book, and nothing else from that universe will ever appear in anything I ever publish.

Not going to get into a moral/censorship debate over it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

March 26, 2014 07:05PM
Knocked out a few more today:

[gamingnerdsrus.co]

March 28, 2014 05:21AM
You have a good point about the Boys, it is a completely unrelated universe from Marvel and would be a huge pain to introduce, as it has a lot of derivative elements, used to deride Marvel/DC. I would leave it out too.

A completely separate universe I would consider including is the one inhabited by Marshal Law. [en.wikipedia.org])

The title character, Marshal Law, is the government-sanctioned "super hero hunter" (aka law enforcement officer, or “cape killer”) with superpowers in the city of San Futuro, the near-future metropolis built from the ruins of San Francisco following a massive earthquake. Law's job is to take down other superheroes who have gone rogue, which he does with maximum force and great pleasure. Aided by the wheelchair-using “Danny” and his physically imposing (but extremely polite) partner “Kiloton”, the Marshal operates from a secret police precinct hidden below the city, dispensing just enough brutal justice to keep the city’s many super-powered gangs in a balanced détente while safeguarding the ordinary citizenry.
Marshal Law's secret identity is Joe Gilmore, a former supersoldier consumed with self-hatred about being a superhero. In this world, superheroes are commonplace thanks to genetic engineering, much of the United States' armed forces having undergone the process. However, while their bodies may become super-powered, their minds remain exactly as they were, and in many cases the inability to feel pain causes the subjects to compensate by inflicting pain on others. Psychosis of varying degrees is also a common side-effect, and some subjects develop wildly uncontrollable superpowers.

I like this dystopian future because you have lot of possibilities. After fighting in the Zone, you could have various heroic, villainous and completely deranged individuals. Some want to destroy the world, others want to stop them, all of them got their powers from the government and all would different types of relationships with authority. How are they going to interact in 616?
Law is an English comic, originally in E. C. and written by Pat Mills. There is a Judge Dredd and Mills makes fun of mainstream comic characters, but not to the over the top and occasionally sick level of the Boys.

See what you think.

Since I mentioned it, the equally dystopian and English world of Judge Dredd (2066 - Mega City) could spawn an interesting hero. Imagine an intimidating and well armed cop, who has to fight his urge to":judge" and dish out a lethal verdict, in the 616. He/she would also have to figure out how to make ammunition and fix his gear. More info below.

[en.wikipedia.org]
March 28, 2014 05:30AM
I am looking more for specific Origin Types, over a setting. I am about to crash, but I will look into those Universes later, and if there is some Origin-Type information, I will see what I can do to get it added.

In the meantime, the book is coming along nicely. Here is the list of what is currently in it:

[gamingnerdsrus.co]

April 01, 2014 08:20PM
Need help with an Origin for the book, please.

[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

December 04, 2023 04:27PM
So after many years I wanted to log back in and apologize to you, Thrudjelmer. A very close friend who knows my triggers convinced me to watch The Boys.

I love it. Not sure how much they toned down from the comics, but it feels like the few synopsis I read about the series might have exaggerated how graphic they are.

If I ever get a cord and my laptop working, I'll probably do a writeup for compound V (and the temp version) for whatever I was calling my Ultimate Origins Book focusing on independent comics.

December 05, 2023 11:27PM
I read two issues of the boys ( #1 and i think #7 or 8 ) and both just tried to titillate and deconstruct unoriginally comics and or throw someone under the bus- in the later issue it was Stan Lee and how he was portrayed. He writes for Fan Boyz with a Z

I find the art in the books Garth Ennis is a part of good ( Preacher etc ) but find his trash writing American - Americana -Straw- maney too much.
February 01, 2024 02:32PM
I think someone created a pdf already, it floating around

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 31
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.