Riley's Site

Posted by RealmJumper 
Riley's Site
July 03, 2014 02:32PM
Any one else having trouble w/ Ben's site? I haven't been able to gain access today or yesterday.
Re: Riley's Site
July 03, 2014 04:02PM
Same here - I thought it was just me.
July 03, 2014 04:56PM
Not having trouble with it at the moment, but hadn't checked it in a few days personally, so no idea if there was some hiccups.
July 04, 2014 08:17AM
Hmmm, just went and still not working for me. Just get a couple Angelfire banners and a video ad. Won't load the rest of the page. Is that what you're seeing Hawkeye? I even tried switching using Chrome and Safari over Firefox and getting the same response. Weird. Thanks for the feedback, though! smiling smiley
July 04, 2014 05:15PM
Yeah, that's the site. I've visited it for years, but for the last few days this is all that loads.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 11.13.50 PM.png (945.2 KB)
July 05, 2014 12:32PM
It's still just doing the "lycros TV" thing and refusing to load anything other than that, also it's doing the same thing to any pages that you may have bookmarked-like his DCU or DCnU sourcebooks-it just goes to the front page and starts playing "lycros tv".

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
Lúcio: I can’t even take you seriously right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2014 12:33PM by the_hammer.
July 05, 2014 03:45PM
Thanks, Hammer. Hate to say it, but misery does love company. Glad I'm not crazy and not the only one having the issue! smiling smiley
July 05, 2014 07:01PM
Hearing that makes me very glad my ad blocker is blocking those ads.
July 06, 2014 08:33AM
I'm hoping that angelfire didn't try to force Ben's page from him, it's a masterpiece of work and I appreciate it alot.

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
July 06, 2014 01:46PM
This makes me wonder if I should archive it just to be safe.

July 06, 2014 02:30PM
Great idea, MajorTomeSawyer! It would be a shame to lose all that information!

Also, Redman, what ad blocker are you using. I need to toughen up my defenses! smiling smiley
July 06, 2014 03:48PM
the_hammer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's still just doing the "lycros TV" thing and
> refusing to load anything other than that, also
> it's doing the same thing to any pages that you
> may have bookmarked-like his DCU or DCnU
> sourcebooks-it just goes to the front page and
> starts playing "lycros tv".

So someone's apparently got him hacked somehow, redirecting his links to a probable worm or some other sort of virus site?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 06, 2014 04:12PM
No, Anglefire probably reset the server. I'm not having any trouble getting to the site, but I didn't frequent it. Most likely your browser is looking for the site at its old IP address.

If you're using a PC, try opening a command window and performing this command

ipconfig -flushdns

(sorry, I'm not familiar with the commands for Mac, Linux, or if this is even possible on a phone/tablet)

If that alone doesn't work, also delete your browser's cookies.

July 06, 2014 04:44PM
barna10 Wrote:
> No, Anglefire probably reset the server. I'm not
> having any trouble getting to the site, but I
> didn't frequent it. Most likely your browser is
> looking for the site at its old IP address.
>
> If you're using a PC, try opening a command window
> and performing this command
>
> ipconfig -flushdns
>
> (sorry, I'm not familiar with the commands for
> Mac, Linux, or if this is even possible on a
> phone/tablet)
>
> If that alone doesn't work, also delete your
> browser's cookies.

I've wiped my cookies several times well before I glanced in (since I don't generally look at the site) and got the same bad result so I can't see why I'd have that particular problem if it were just someone having a bad DNS address stuck in their PC.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 06, 2014 05:09PM
Did you try flushing your DNS?

I've tried every time someone has posted not being able to the site and I haven't had a single problem.

July 06, 2014 05:17PM
I just figured it out. You are getting the correct site. What you are seeing is ads which are sized too large. I run with an ad blocker enabled so I'm not seeing the ads (the two 'undefined's at the top of the screenshot above. Install Ad Blocker plus or something like it and you'll have access to the site again.

July 06, 2014 05:31PM
RealmJumper Wrote:
> Also, Redman, what ad blocker are you using. I need to toughen up my defenses! smiling smiley

I use Ad Block Plus .. seems to block pretty much all the ads via Ben's angelfire site, and most elsewhere.
July 06, 2014 06:21PM
Redman II Wrote:
> RealmJumper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Also, Redman, what ad blocker are you using. I
> need to toughen up my defenses! smiling smiley
>
>
> I use Ad Block Plus .. seems to block pretty much
> all the ads via Ben's angelfire site, and most
> elsewhere.

I've ad blocker plus and Ben's site just isn't interested in loading for me. While I don't generally go there it does leave me curious as to why it's not working now since that could affect other places I go.

-- Peter David

July 07, 2014 02:07AM
The archive is in progress. Should not be too hard for me to kill the adds when I upload it.

Now if anyone wants to contact Ben to see if he has a problem with this, I would not mind. Otherwise I will try to get it up on my website soonâ„¢.

For now, going to work.

July 07, 2014 04:42AM
barna10 Wrote:
> I just figured it out. You are getting the
> correct site. What you are seeing is ads which
> are sized too large. I run with an ad blocker
> enabled so I'm not seeing the ads (the two
> 'undefined's at the top of the screenshot above.
> Install Ad Blocker plus or something like it and
> you'll have access to the site again.

barna10, is correct on the problem with ads being the issue on not being able to view Ben Riley's Web Site.

Now for those of you that are not so clear on how to correct this problem, the two (2) best extension programs to add-on to your browser for blocking ads are Adblock and or Adblock Plus.

Adblock
[getadblock.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Adblock Plus
[adblockplus.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Test results on CPU & Memory for using Adblock and Adblock Plus extensions in the following browsers: Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari.

Adblock uses around 100Mb of RAM. But The difference between the CPU usage is really big.

Adblock Plus uses around 30-40% CPU, but AdBlock uses only 1-2% CPU. Also browsing speed to open a web site page loads faster with Adblock (3 seconds / 1 second) then with using Adblock Plus.

Now for Firefox & Chrome users it has been reported that Adblock Plus has a massive effect on memory usage.
[adblockplus.org]
[www.extremetech.com]

I have used both programs and they are great, but I recommend that if you have a older computer use Adblock.

Adblock Plus works very well with newer computers, especially if you have plenty of memory.

The Cutter

July 07, 2014 12:19PM
Well whatever the deal is I can't load the page anymore, at least not on Firefox (seems IE will load it though). Maybe one of my other add-ons for filtering and protection is preventing it from loading.

-- Peter David

July 07, 2014 01:20PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Well whatever the deal is I can't load the page
> anymore, at least not on Firefox (seems IE will
> load it though). Maybe one of my other add-ons
> for filtering and protection is preventing it from
> loading.

I had the same problem as Nightmask, I could open Riley's page with IE but not with Firefox. So I took Sky's advice and downloaded Adblock as a addon extension in Firefox (I have a computer that is around 4 years old). And that solved it, I now have no problem viewing Riley's site. Thanks for the 411 Skycutter!

V
July 07, 2014 03:48PM
This is awesome. Thanks for all the help, everyone. I appreciate the info!
July 08, 2014 05:46AM
July 08, 2014 10:25AM
I tried the Adblock Plus and I'm able to see it now without any of the ads on Chrome.

July 11, 2014 12:52AM
I'm happy to host him or anyone on my commercial site, subdomain style.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 10
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.