Online text based (with pictures and sounds) browser game of MSHRPG or 4C?

Online text based (with pictures and sounds) browser game of MSHRPG or 4C?
July 10, 2014 08:25PM
Hi,

I used to code versions of the Legend of the Green Dragon game, of increasing sophistication, including adding music, SFX, pictures, video clips etc. to the basic browser game. There is a lot of additional functionality that can be added- maps, journals, animations, and so on.

In the course of talking about the LOST campaign to some potential players, the question was asked why not do an online game format so people can play from across the world?

Rather than have eg a skype campaign I thought it might be interesting to code the rules for a FASERIP game, add character generation as either random or chosen, weight the equivalent of the karma awards so if you model a character you aren't overpowered, then code in a vast array of adventures with dovetailed links similar to facebook click games but with a lot more variation- instead of railroading people in a straight course, give players the choice of which adventures to do as well as just exploring a mapped world.

It sounds a bit MMO-ish, and it is, but not a 3D combat environment, this is a browser format. It can have video clips, all pages would have pictures etc. but it is NOT a Runequest type thing we're talking about. It could look very much like a comicbook if people wanted it to. A bit like Avengers Alliance but roleplaying not clickbait combat oriented.

The code for comabt in the Green Dragon program is potentially extremely sophisticated- it can monitor any number of effects and buffs and you can tailor it to reflect different styles of combat. Likewise with the addition of "modules" it's possible to literally add adventures as they are written or adapted.

I can do all the coding, and it would be a fun project for me. Any input or help or requests as I do it would be welcome.

The basic coding for the system rules is what I am going to do first- the code already includes the equivalent of dice rolls so it's not as daunting a task as it may seem.

There is also a suite of ingame editors to add weapons, powers, armors, magic spells, you name it. I will be using that to add the powers.

What do people think, and does anyone want to help or suggest whether to use FASERIP or 4C? If it's FASERIP this has to be strictly fan product only like the european project which adapted this same game code to a huge Harry Potter online game.
Re: Online text based (with pictures and sounds) browser game of MSHRPG or 4C?
July 10, 2014 08:42PM
If you use 4C, it is open source.
July 10, 2014 11:37PM
That would be the big appeal of 4C, since as I understand it is truly open source. But does that destract from the flavour of the game too much? Would it be better to be a fan project like the harry potter game and use the "trade dress" of the original game? Or doesn't that matter too much?

Part of the nostalgic feel for me and some of my players is the "FASERIP" thing. But 4C looks to be pretty similar.
July 11, 2014 10:55AM
You can use FASERIP as long as you don't use any Marvel references. I've inquired about this. The official word is you CANNOT copyright a rules system. FASERIP itself is not copyrighted, nor can it be (the acronym could be, but wasn't).

July 11, 2014 05:13PM
Before I go ahead and use FASERIP, is there a source for what you said? Like, do you have that in an email or something?
July 11, 2014 07:06PM
I have a private correspondence from Jeff Grubb stating that, but I'm keeping it private. There are many other references available across the web stating the inability of one to copyright a rule system for a game, but none specifically relating to the Marvel RPG.

Monopoly is a grand example. Look at all of the Monopoly clones out there. All of them use the same rules with different content.

The rules and power descriptions for the Classic Marvel RPG have not been copyrighted, just the Marvel content. A good place to start is game material itself. You'll see references to the copyrights for Marvel characters and places, and the TSR logo, etc., but nothing in regards to the mechanics themselves.

I can guarantee one thing, you won't get a response from WOTC, Hasbro, Disney, or Marvel about this. After many emails, snail mails, phone calls, and even a face-to-face request, they've proven to not give a crap. I looked into this in regards to the my JMCC (Java Marvel Character Creator), and I've now been waiting 2.5 years for a single response....still waiting.

Also, using the 4C system would not be any sort of protection from copyright infringement since it is just a copy of the Marvel system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 07:09PM by barna10.
July 11, 2014 08:30PM
Then I'm going ahead with FASERIP. It fits the flavour and the nostalgia far better than 4C. Also the only other possible copyright issue would be people uploading pictures for their character and that is definitely not an issue as per my previous experiences.

So FASERIP it is!
July 12, 2014 02:59AM
Excellent.

I used to have a LotGF client on my website, and I have considered putting it back up, but then I am lazy (although I am working on a book today).

I'd love to see this, and I would play the crap out of it.

July 12, 2014 06:32PM
If nothing else, it's a way to have a bit of MSHRPG type fun. The ones I programmed a few years ago, I took it a long way away from the basic LotGD, expanded it out to a location based auto-save text MMO. Don't know if it's necessary to be so detailed for this one, but I am thinking- random fight generator like The Forest but more detailed for the streets, travel to different locations in the superhero world, plus loading in all the items, weapons and armor using the editors. I'll add in an uploader for people's characters too so they can create their favourite heroes and their own look and feel.

Might add a paper doll thing for costumes, haven't decided yet.
July 14, 2014 09:32AM
Love it.

Please do the paper-doll bit.

July 14, 2014 12:35PM
This sounds awesome. thumbs up

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 14, 2014 08:54PM
I've got the SQL part done, that's easy. Also changed the dice roller and combat to call a FASERIP color coded function based on numerical rating. Just doing the laborious work now of adding all the options and the flipping back and forth stuff you need to handle the equivalent of The Forest as a street level thing.

The adventures will all be locations, so wherever you are if you drop out or log out your location will be saved.

If anyone has any suggestions for weapons, armor, items, locations- now's the time. smiling smiley
July 15, 2014 06:32AM
July 23, 2014 01:44AM
Still going- just coding all the powers into buffs, etc. not a small task I am afraid. smiling smiley
August 14, 2014 07:48AM
Have you heard about Roll20 an online virtual tabletop website for playing games?
Roll20 website
August 15, 2014 07:26AM
Does Roll20 support the Marvel Super Heroes game format?

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 07:26AM by Thrudjelmer.
August 15, 2014 09:54AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Roll20 support the Marvel Super Heroes game
> format?

I hadn't looked but when I did I was surprised that they did, here is the character sheet to use:

There are several tutorial youtube videos that give a good idea what you can do and how to setup games and campaigns. I don't have a paying membership, usually only the GM would need one, gives extra perks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 09:56AM by dmcamp.
August 15, 2014 10:02AM
Goodness! Someone has a number of recorded videos on youtube of their TSR Marvel Superheroes campaign using Roll20:

Youtube Marvel Superheroes campaign

Here is their posting on the Roll20 Community Forums:

Roll20 Marvel SuperHeroes community forums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 10:07AM by dmcamp.
August 15, 2014 10:26AM
August 15, 2014 04:41PM
Cool!
August 15, 2014 05:55PM
Way cool. Although I hope this doesn't dissuade FTC from continuing his project. The fee requirement, even if only for the game judge, is a bit much for me. I stretched my resources just to get back online with Comcast. Grrr... Comcast. I hated having to do it, but the satellite internet was causing too many problems and I couldn't get them resolved to my satisfaction, so I just stopped paying the bastards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 06:15PM by Thrudjelmer.
August 15, 2014 10:46PM
Yes I certainly wouldn't want to discourage FTC, hopefully it might inspire. There is actually a tool I like better but the firewall in my apartment building router which I don't have access to, won't let me run it outside. Its nbos software's ScreenMonkey "nbos screenmonkey website" for some reason I find it more intuitive. I find how Roll20 uses tokens to be confusing and difficult to personalize.

ScreenMonkey doesn't have video conferencing but I've seen a lot of people on the Roll20 forums post that they actually use Skype and Google handouts because of the slowness of Roll20. I've never played on Roll20 yet I just stumbled upon it looking for Virtual Table Tops. I think someone had posted about it on dragonsfoot.org.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 10:53PM by dmcamp.
August 15, 2014 11:03PM
Video conferencing not really an issue for me. Its kind of neat, but at the same time it seems like its better suited as its own app run separate
from the main thing... if you want it at all.

August 16, 2014 05:49AM
Outside of Roll20, the best rules agnostic version I've found is Klooge.werks. However, it has a steep learning curve as it has a LOT of options.

TAG
August 16, 2014 09:53AM
August 16, 2014 10:50AM
barna10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks dmcamp! I need to check that out.

You're welcome, I think I goofed up the link though. I'll try again, this is the page to download the free ScreenMonkey lite, looks like it is up to 1.8.
link http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=407
I guess you could just use it as a GM tool on a laptop. To use Roll20 you have to be logged into their webserver.

barna10 since you are programming in java have you heard of VASSAL? Its a java based program that was developed to handle boardgames. I think it started as a program to handle the old Avalon Hill Squad Leader. Just type in Vassal Engine as a search.

Never heard of Klooge.werks ThatArtGuy, I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 10:55AM by dmcamp.
August 16, 2014 11:00AM
October 30, 2014 01:59AM
I realize this topic is a few months old, but I thought I'd clarify that you don't need to buy a subscription to GM games on Roll20. I"m running a FASERIP game, right now, and am not a paying supporter (though I will probably become one, if I enjoy running this campaign). I also run an exclusively text chat based game, as I dislike using mic's and cameras, so it isn't necessary to run a game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 6
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.