Multiple Attacks

Posted by Heart of the Tiger 
Multiple Attacks
November 05, 2014 04:18AM
I know of the Multiple Combat Actions tactic (Player's Guide p.30). Other than that, having more than two arms can help.
Does Hyper-Speed (Ultimate Powers p.81) also allow for multiple attacks in a round? On the one hand it seems like it should, on the other hand, that would make Hyper-Speed overpowered.

What other options does a character have if he, or she, whishes to make multiple attacks against the same target in a given round?
Re: Multiple Attacks
November 05, 2014 04:51AM
If I was GM I'd say multiple attacks based off hyper-speed or extra arms or whatever would be doable but would be a power stunt.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
November 05, 2014 05:27AM
I agree with Warlock, especially if you want the speedster in the same party as non-speedster type heroes

there are other options -

take a look at the 'house rules section here

The second table in the text is one way to do it, but I would take care if you only have one super speedster in the group, as the multiple actions per round thing can get very dull for other players.

multiple limbs can be modeled as a simple + 1CS to fighting if you like, or as +1 attacks per round (this could be added onto the increased number of attacks form the speedster house rules above... but you may not want to do that!

Another way I have seen it done is as increase in damage that is administered as a single attack - emulates the multiple attacks without everyone having to sit there whilst the 'six armed speedster' throws his tenth punch of the combat round...

hope that helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 05:28AM by NikMak.
November 05, 2014 06:18AM
As it's written Hyper-Speed does work that way, so if you've got say Excellent rank Hyper-Speed you can do 20 attacks in a single turn. But you're also basically exhausting yourself 20 times faster if you do since you're accelerating yourself but the power does nothing to improve your Endurance (that would be Hyper-Running, which gives you fairly endless stamina when it comes to running). If his opponents have damage protection greater than his strength he's also not going to hurt them even pounding them twenty times faster either (although some speedsters are shown being able to pull it off they tend to have what amounts to the double-slot version combining Hyper-Running and Hyper-Speed making them considerably more powerful than someone with either power alone). Punch a rock 20 times in a row and all you get is a bloody set of knuckles or a broken hand after all and doing it in one turn just means you get their faster than over 20 turns.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
November 05, 2014 09:37AM
hyperspeed

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
November 05, 2014 09:39AM
Who cares if you exhaust 20 times faster if you've already won the fight before the bad guys had a chance to retaliate?

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
November 05, 2014 09:56AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares if you exhaust 20 times faster if you've
> already won the fight before the bad guys had a
> chance to retaliate?

Except that's not a given, just because you got away with 20 attacks doesn't mean they were effective and it's not that uncommon to see characters that can go into Hyper-Speed in the comics exhaust themselves before they make any headway because they pushed themselves like that or they come across an opponent that makes that useless for one reason or another (In the Espers comic accelerating yourself into Hyper-Speed was a psionic power that showed up in at least half a dozen characters, all but one on the bad guys side opposing the protagonists making it so the one on the protagonist side often found himself tied up fighting by himself effectively in accelerated time).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
November 05, 2014 11:20AM
Still, 20 attacks at Excellent Rank seems a BIT much... I'll probably go with the houseruled Super-Speed, to determine the number of additional attacks that can be made with Hyper-Speed.
November 05, 2014 12:57PM
The problem with 20 attacks in one turn, is that it's a session-bogging time sink, and about as exciting as watching a game of mah-jong.

Just my opinion.
November 05, 2014 05:44PM
FASERIPPER Wrote:
> The problem with 20 attacks in one turn, is that
> it's a session-bogging time sink, and about as
> exciting as watching a game of mah-jong.
>
> Just my opinion.

Agreed.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
November 05, 2014 06:54PM
What I do ...

Fighting Rank defines how many Combat Attacks / Defenses / Actions you pull off in one game round...

EX:20 Fighting = 2 Moves
RM:30 Fighting = 3 Moves
IN:40 Fighting = 4 Moves
AM:50 Fighting = 5 Moves

and so forth...

Hyper Speed Multiples the moves times your Fighting Rank...

EX:20 Hyper Speed = Fighting Moves X 2
RM:30 Hyper Speed = Fighting Moves X 3
IN:40 Hyper Speed = Fighting Moves X 4
AM:50 Hyper Speed = Fighting Moves X 5

and so forth...

Example 1:

IN:40 Fighting + EX:20 Hyper Speed = (4 X 2 = 8)

This Character can execute '8' Actions in one Game Round...

Blue: Critical Fail Feat
White: The Action is done, but doesn't connect to the intended target
Green: 2 of 8 or 4 of 8 Actions make contact depending on Grade of Green
Yellow: 4 of 8 or 6 of 8 Actions make contact depending on Grade of Yellow
Red: 8 of 8 Actions make contact

Example 2:

EX:20 Fighting + UN:100 Hyper Speed = (2 X 10 = 20)

This Character can execute '20' Actions in one Game Round...

Blue: Critical Fail Feat
White: The Action is done, but doesn't connect to the intended target
Green: 5 of 20 or 10 of 20 Actions make contact depending on Grade of Green
Yellow: 10 of 20 or 15 of 20 Actions make contact depending on Grade of Yellow
Red: 20 of 20 Actions make contact

The entire series of actions are handled on one FEAT Roll .....

The end result is your Character can pull off one really concentrated and powerful hit (Heavy Cannon Blast) or a blazing flurry of smaller hits (Machine Gun Burst) ....

And both do the exact same damage...

However ... your Heavy Cannon Punches can punch through Heavy Armor Characters, while your Machine Gun Punches can deal with light and agile targets...

Despite all the various House Rules offered, you'll be quite surprised how often you'll refer back to the book's original guidelines, and you'll have Flash, or Quicksilver, or Mongoose, or Cheetah, (or Any Speedster) hit only 3 or 4 times per Game Round....

OR

You end up simply Judging the Speed Move similar to Ryu's, Ken's, or Akuma's (Street Fighter) Ultimate Combo Moves.... Where they simply nail a shit-ton of small Attacks that ultimately functions as One Huge Hit.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

MOTÖRHEAD
November 05, 2014 09:05PM
FASERIPPER Wrote:
> The problem with 20 attacks in one turn, is that
> it's a session-bogging time sink, and about as
> exciting as watching a game of mah-jong.
>
> Just my opinion.

Which is one of the reasons Hyper-Speed tends to be a banned power or ends up nerfed into being more 'Hyper-Running but calling it Hyper-Speed', as it can cause problems between players if one guy's getting to do so many more actions in a turn compared to them. Add in Super-Strength and it can be unbalanced and over-powered compared to what's generally the average for other characters.

-- Peter David

November 06, 2014 04:41AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> ...it can cause problems between players if one
> guy's getting to do so many more actions in a turn
> compared to them. Add in Super-Strength and it
> can be unbalanced and over-powered compared to
> what's generally the average for other characters.

And that is the crux of my dislike for Superman lol.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
November 06, 2014 05:24AM
Nightmask is arguing that something can be unbalanced?!? Hell has frozen over!!!

TAG
November 06, 2014 05:30AM
ThatArtGuy Wrote:
> Nightmask is arguing that something can be
> unbalanced?!? Hell has frozen over!!!
>
> TAG

It's not like I haven't done so before, I've simply disagreed with some who insist some things are always unbalanced no matter the situation or setting or that because they think something is so 'obviously' unbalanced that everyone else must agree with them or be labeled with various gaming slurs.

-- Peter David

November 06, 2014 05:34AM
Warlock Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...it can cause problems between players if one
> > guy's getting to do so many more actions in a turn
> > compared to them. Add in Super-Strength and it
> > can be unbalanced and over-powered compared to
> > what's generally the average for other
> characters.
>
> And that is the crux of my dislike for Superman
> lol.

Superman's rarely shown combining his super-speed with his super-strength, so clearly it's not something he can combine easily, and of course Superman's generally unsuited for a street level campaign or even mid-level since he's got dozens of powers that are all on the upper tier of those powers. But that's to be expected from a top tier character at least for DC. Marvel on the other hand a top tier like Thor can still fight alongside someone like Captain America or Hawkeye because he can't do it all and has to shoulder some of that responsibility off onto them. Heck it's not like Thor hasn't been shown traveling on adventuring parties with other Asgardians in the past because he couldn't do things alone then either.

-- Peter David

November 06, 2014 05:35AM
Nightmask Wrote:

> It's not like I haven't done so before, I've
> simply disagreed with some who insist some things
> are always unbalanced no matter the situation or
> setting or that because they think something is so
> 'obviously' unbalanced that everyone else must
> agree with them or be labeled with various gaming
> slurs.

thats such a Munchkin thing to say winking smiley (joke! Sorry, but with a target that big, I find it impossible to restrain myself grinning smiley )
November 06, 2014 05:52AM
NikMak Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
>
> > It's not like I haven't done so before, I've
> > simply disagreed with some who insist some
> things
> > are always unbalanced no matter the situation
> or
> > setting or that because they think something is
> so
> > 'obviously' unbalanced that everyone else must
> > agree with them or be labeled with various
> gaming
> > slurs.
>
>
> thats such a Munchkin thing to say winking smiley (joke!
> Sorry, but with a target that big, I find it
> impossible to restrain myself grinning smiley )

Afraid I can't find any humor in it given I've had people say exactly that and being dead serious about it. One got himself a warning on the Palladium forums after going on a rant along those lines and how somehow not agreeing with his position on things was what was wrong with things and drove away the 'right' people (which if that's what's right I'm quite fine with being wrong, but of course it isn't right).

-- Peter David

November 06, 2014 06:28AM
sorry to bring back bad memories, I was trying to be funny, no offence meant :-/
November 06, 2014 06:42AM
NikMak Wrote:
> sorry to bring back bad memories, I was trying to
> be funny, no offence meant :-/

I know, just a sore spot with me and not your fault.

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 9
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.