cloaking vs invisibility
December 09, 2014 05:42PM
how would you describe the difference?

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.
Re: cloaking vs invisibility
December 09, 2014 07:50PM
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 10, 2014 12:51AM
Indeed- and it's strangely fortuitous you happened to choose this topic and that Thrudjelmer is the one who responded, given that Thrudjelmer plays a gestalt of Invisible Woman and Angel in my Roll20 Marvel campaign. cool smiley

During our last game session, the heroes were trying to locate some bombs that had been set by the villain. The villain had made them invisible via a technological cloaking device. Thrudjelmer was able to use his invisibility power to make them visible again (though, I believe he had to spend karma, as the cloaks were remarkable rank vs his excellent rank invisiblility, so it was a Red FEAT).

You could, of course, rule that they are two completely different things in your own campaign. I treated them as the same, because it gave more utility to the players power and I try to gear my campaign with an eye towards making things more player oriented/fun in my games. Nothing inherently wrong with doing it another way, though. winking smiley
December 10, 2014 05:39AM
Cloaking -=VS=- Invisibility

It usually comes down to the details of the Game Mechanics.

Cloaking is usually somewhat visible (or detectable) but covers a very broad spectrum of sensory capabilities and detection...

As an example: a Cloaking Character can usually hide from all five physical senses as well as specialized camera and optical equipment, such as heat signatures, odor, sounds, vibrations, Mental Waves, etc.... They can also Cloak in just about any environment.

Invisibility is normally very strong, but limited to one or two sensory capabilities and only functional in certain types of environments... Full visual invisibility, but can still be detected by heat signatures or vibrations.

Like most others powers in the UPB, you can have a Character who is very focused in one or two abilities or they are very well balanced, but lack sheer intensity.

Cloaking: Broad Spectrum to cloak from many senses / Less Intense.

Invisibility: Focused Spectrum to cloak from 1 or 2 senses / More Intense.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

MOTÖRHEAD
December 10, 2014 06:50AM
You don't need the UPB to handle invisibility covering more or less. You could just drop off some areas of the spectrum as a limitation to give your power rank a boost. For example, if you take invisibility and have Excellent rank, its that level of protection from being detected. You could ask your GM for a +1CS bonus by saying your invisibility does not cover heat signatures. On the other hand, you could say your invisibility does not actually make you invisible at all but simply prevents you from being detected by electronic sensing devices. As a GM, I might be willing to go as high as a +3CS bonus for a limitation like that.

Its all in figuring out what you want and how to get what you need with limitations.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 10, 2014 04:23PM
if cloaking equals difficult to detect and invisible equals cannot be seen, then cloaking equals blending and invisible equals invisibility.

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
December 10, 2014 04:57PM
Just in their usage in sci-fi history I think of Cloaking as an effect achieved thru use of a mechanical device of some sort while Invisibility is either super power or magic based. In my games in the past any power that was in the core books we'd use that version and use the UPB to cover those powers that weren't designed with the games rules in mind to avoid situations like this.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
December 12, 2014 10:52PM
I'm liking this thread because people are discussing stuff I have thought of.

I have always thought of invisibility as being undetectable by the naked eye, which is great until you walk through oil and leave foot prints or have paint spilled on you, or cast a shadow (which is probably impossible because of some light bending science stuff). So I figure it's effect is making the person or thing impossible for the rods and cones in your eye to perceive. In some cases the character has to be naked (the Invisible Man) and some don't (Invisible Girl). I also think of this as a power, wether the person was irritated by Cosmic Rays or take a chemical compound or put on a magick ring if you are a Hobbit.

Star Trek has greatly effected what I thing of as "cloaking", as a device that can render something or someone unseen and undetectable by other means. When cloaked sensors cannot find you heat, different forms of radiation will not register and highly advanced technology on a star ship becomes useless.
In Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (do not buy this game, it is really cool but it only works 89%) there is a level where your guy has cloaking on his exo skeleton. When he uses it he disappears, becoming transparent with slight rainbow coloring on the edges, like in the Predator movies. But it isn't perfect. The soldiers cannot see through the cloaking and the drones cannot pick you up with the lazar sensor or electric eye... unless you move to quickly. The device can't keep up and they see something. It also drains your battery and this is a great use of limitations on a potentially uber power, at least in the game.

Being loud would by the easiest way to ruin the effects of either.

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 7
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.