Agents of SHIELD: Season 3 Discussion

Posted by darkforce 
Agents of SHIELD: Season 3 Discussion
March 04, 2015 03:56AM
Ok. What did people think?

Skye...still needs to die. Wasn't too impressed with their initial Hydra op, but it had a better ending.

The whole Inhuman thing on the show....really grasping at straws here, although the visual effects were pretty darn good.
Re: Agents of SHIELD: Season 3 Discussion
March 04, 2015 09:17AM
I am behind! I will watch tonight.....or at least that is the plan!!
March 06, 2015 02:45AM
One thing I did notice, I think that since the Marvel Cinematic universe can't have mutants, I think they are going to make them all Terrigen Mist powered.
March 11, 2015 03:30AM
This week's episode was going good....UNTIL....they made someone to be like Drax the Destroyer, which for that character was out of character.

They really need a new writer. Next week's episode looks much more interesting.
March 11, 2015 08:46AM
Maybe everyone will get turned into Terrigen-mist powered freaks in the comics and they'll drop the term mutant altogether. Take that, Fox!

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 11, 2015 10:42AM
Funny. I was thinking the same thing.
Imagine: Wolverine: Inhuman
March 11, 2015 11:58AM
I'm not sure that would get the rights of the X-Men characters away from Fox, but it might give Marvel a new route for introducing the mutant racism issue as well as introduce new characters that might have otherwise gone the mutant route and become fair game for future X-Men movies.

Licensing rights legality is not my specialty, however.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 11:59AM by Thrudjelmer.
March 12, 2015 08:19AM
Drax the Destroyer? Did I miss something in the last episode?

Anyway I am glad they are doing the Inhuman thing versus the mutant thing, while on the surface they may seem similar the fact that the Inhuman Terrigan Mist way to gain powers was something done to us rather than a natural process caused by evolution I think makes the resulting fear and mistrust more plausible in the long run. I never understood how people, after 20+ years in comic years, were still totally afraid of Dazzler and hated her guts and wanted her dead, yet Spider-Man was the friendly neighborhood wall crawler. Powers are powers whats it matter if they were from DNA altered by background radiation, or a radioactive spider. Now if those powers came from altered DNA forced upon a portion the human race by powerful aliens whose intent was to enslave the resulting Inhumans and use them in their wars, that's a genuine cause for outright fear. Even more so when you take into consideration the fact that the aliens themselves thought the Inhumans were too dangerous to be allowed to live.

I also don't think its about screwing Fox as much as it is them not wanting to screw themselves for no reason. If you were going to try to make money off Superheroes would you use your own characters and therefore be able to do with them as you please and keep most of the money? Or would you use characters that essentially belonged to someone else thus ensuring you made very little while someone else reaped the majority of the benefits? If they wanted to really screw Fox they'd simply drop all the X-Books and cut them off entirely from the Comic book universe. Make the X-Men movie versions the only versions and simply be done with them forever.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
March 12, 2015 10:24AM
Warlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drax the Destroyer? Did I miss something in the
> last episode?

The Kree warrior was a relentless and focused individual driven to fulfill his mission without listening to anything said to him, which is much like Drax.

> Anyway I am glad they are doing the Inhuman thing
> versus the mutant thing, while on the surface they
> may seem similar the fact that the Inhuman
> Terrigan Mist way to gain powers was something
> done to us rather than a natural process caused by
> evolution I think makes the resulting fear and
> mistrust more plausible in the long run. I never
> understood how people, after 20+ years in comic
> years, were still totally afraid of Dazzler and
> hated her guts and wanted her dead, yet Spider-Man
> was the friendly neighborhood wall crawler. Powers
> are powers whats it matter if they were from DNA
> altered by background radiation, or a radioactive
> spider. Now if those powers came from altered DNA
> forced upon a portion the human race by powerful
> aliens whose intent was to enslave the resulting
> Inhumans and use them in their wars, that's a
> genuine cause for outright fear. Even more so when
> you take into consideration the fact that the
> aliens themselves thought the Inhumans were too
> dangerous to be allowed to live.

The reason people feared mutants is because they were being explicitly pushed as a new evolutionary offshoot of humanity so people felt they weren't really human and worse would eventually lead to the extinction of the human race and being replaced by the mutants. Unlike Spider-man (who gets feared thanks to anti-Spider-man hate spread by JJJ) who isn't a mutant (although some have accused him of being one) and could be anyone and since anyone can get turned into a super they aren't seen as some kind of threat to the survival of the human race like mutants.

> I also don't think its about screwing Fox as much
> as it is them not wanting to screw themselves for
> no reason. If you were going to try to make money
> off Superheroes would you use your own characters
> and therefore be able to do with them as you
> please and keep most of the money? Or would you
> use characters that essentially belonged to
> someone else thus ensuring you made very little
> while someone else reaped the majority of the
> benefits? If they wanted to really screw Fox
> they'd simply drop all the X-Books and cut them
> off entirely from the Comic book universe. Make
> the X-Men movie versions the only versions and
> simply be done with them forever.

Marvel does have a point in that regard, they do the work to create these new characters and test them in the public eye and Fox promptly co-ops them if any of them look interesting enough to use in the X-movies. Better to create characters Fox won't get to co-opt and make all the money off the popular ones themselves.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
March 12, 2015 11:11AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> The reason people feared mutants is because they
> were being explicitly pushed as a new evolutionary
> offshoot of humanity so people felt they weren't
> really human and worse would eventually lead to
> the extinction of the human race and being
> replaced by the mutants. Unlike Spider-man (who
> gets feared thanks to anti-Spider-man hate spread
> by JJJ) who isn't a mutant (although some have
> accused him of being one) and could be anyone and
> since anyone can get turned into a super they
> aren't seen as some kind of threat to the survival
> of the human race like mutants.

At first yes, but 20 years later Dazzler still is a threat to all humankind? With all the super powered people running around the long term where is humanity headed question you think would be trumped by "if someone destroys my building with super powers, thus killing me and my whole family, does it matter where they got those powers from?" And on the same token "if someone stopped a building from falling on my head and killing me and my whole family do I care where they got the powers from?"

> Marvel does have a point in that regard, they do
> the work to create these new characters and test
> them in the public eye and Fox promptly co-ops
> them if any of them look interesting enough to use
> in the X-movies. Better to create characters Fox
> won't get to co-opt and make all the money off the
> popular ones themselves.

In Days of Future Past it was originally supposed to be Juggernaut who saved Magneto from prison and not Quicksilver but when Fox found out he was going to be in the Avengers they switched him in at the last minute so they could say they used him first.

Now if you wanna talk FF4 I think shutting that book down was in direct response to the upcoming movie, but I think it was more to protect the FF4 than it was to screw over Fox. I mean Dr. Doom as an internet troll? How good could it actually be? Also with all the rumors coming off the set of the Director going batshit crazy it has me already thinking its going to be half assed at best.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
March 12, 2015 11:37AM
Warlock Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The reason people feared mutants is because
> they
> > were being explicitly pushed as a new
> evolutionary
> > offshoot of humanity so people felt they
> weren't
> > really human and worse would eventually lead to
> > the extinction of the human race and being
> > replaced by the mutants. Unlike Spider-man
> (who
> > gets feared thanks to anti-Spider-man hate
> spread
> > by JJJ) who isn't a mutant (although some have
> > accused him of being one) and could be anyone
> and
> > since anyone can get turned into a super they
> > aren't seen as some kind of threat to the
> survival
> > of the human race like mutants.
>
> At first yes, but 20 years later Dazzler still is
> a threat to all humankind? With all the super
> powered people running around the long term where
> is humanity headed question you think would be
> trumped by "if someone destroys my building with
> super powers, thus killing me and my whole family,
> does it matter where they got those powers from?"
> And on the same token "if someone stopped a
> building from falling on my head and killing me
> and my whole family do I care where they got the
> powers from?"

Except it's not 20 years later, it never gets more than 10-15 years later and look how many decades it took to really get over the worst of the 40-50s anti-communism scare and that was only from irrational fear and hatred of normal, non-powered humans. We're still fighting racism today even though other than skin color there's no real difference between a black person or a white one or yellow or so forth.

It's also an unfortunate fact of life that people oftentimes are ungrateful bastards, a racist will welcome someone of their race rescuing them and soundly declare they'd have rather died than be rescued by someone of the 'wrong' race. That non-mutant hero being acceptable while the mutant hero not being so is well in keeping with the irrational nature of prejudice and blind hate.

> > Marvel does have a point in that regard, they
> do
> > the work to create these new characters and
> test
> > them in the public eye and Fox promptly co-ops
> > them if any of them look interesting enough to
> use
> > in the X-movies. Better to create characters
> Fox
> > won't get to co-opt and make all the money off
> the
> > popular ones themselves.
>
> In Days of Future Past it was originally supposed
> to be Juggernaut who saved Magneto from prison and
> not Quicksilver but when Fox found out he was
> going to be in the Avengers they switched him in
> at the last minute so they could say they used him
> first.

If so it worked out well for the movie, just having Juggernaut crashing in and rescuing him wouldn't have been half as entertaining I think compared to the Quicksilver scenes particularly the rescue. They did an amazing job simulating a super-speed event from the perspective of the speedster.

> Now if you wanna talk FF4 I think shutting that
> book down was in direct response to the upcoming
> movie, but I think it was more to protect the FF4
> than it was to screw over Fox. I mean Dr. Doom as
> an internet troll? How good could it actually be?
> Also with all the rumors coming off the set of the
> Director going batshit crazy it has me already
> thinking its going to be half assed at best.

Which is understandable, the FF is one of the longest-running titles for Marvel and one of the modern industry's pioneering comics and you don't want to let a movie that's got 'flop' written all over it get that muck all over such an icon. Got to minimize damage where you can.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
March 15, 2015 07:29AM
I love the show. Its a free live action comic book for the Cinematic Marvel Disney Universe.

March 25, 2015 11:06AM
Ah. This week was MUCH better. Less Skye.

I am interested in seeing where this new story arc leads.
April 14, 2015 03:56PM
Okay, I REALLY hope they end the 'other SHIELD' SOON, bad enough we had the Hydra reveal and all the trouble from that I'm really, really, REALLY tired of seeing that plot being reused over and over again.

That said the revelations about Skye have been interesting, especially the connections to the one agent and finally finding out about the horrible event that had only been hinted at all this time.

-- Peter David

April 27, 2015 03:59PM
Enjoying the season. Still would like to see more superpowered folks that are openly doing things in the public. For example, I still would like to see news reports of MYSTERIO ROBS GOLD VAULT.....RHINO RIPS OFF ARMORED CAR......stuff like that.

Joe Solarte stats, background. [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
April 29, 2015 03:55AM
Spoiler.......

Okay, so Raina has limited Precog. That character was definetly created using the random power selection tables.
April 29, 2015 04:16AM
No kidding, Secret Defender...LOL
April 29, 2015 04:21AM
The episode became a "program length commercial" for Age of Ultron. I am fine with that. But that introduction of precog is a deux ex machina that the writers can use at their whim. I know it is only a matter of time before Raina is killed off. The actress has been cast in another show coming out next year "Preacher" (Vertigo comics).
May 01, 2015 05:18PM
May 06, 2015 03:56AM
I think it's time for Agents to be shut down. Or at least let Netflix do it without Whedon.

G-Core
The Modern FASERIP!
[www.dillygreenbeangames.com]
May 06, 2015 03:10PM
darkforce Wrote:
> I think it's time for Agents to be shut down. Or
> at least let Netflix do it without Whedon.

Josh Whedon wrote the first episode and set up season 1 but since then hasn't had much, if anything, to do with it. I liked that the tie in was there but didn't encompass the entire season like the second half of one. Plus I like how the Inhuman thing is playing out.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 08, 2015 02:46PM
Warlock Wrote:
>
> Josh Whedon wrote the first episode and set up
> season 1 but since then hasn't had much, if
> anything, to do with it. I liked that the tie in
> was there but didn't encompass the entire season
> like the second half of one. Plus I like how the
> Inhuman thing is playing out.

I am enjoying the Inhumans plot too. It is kind of cool introducing the Inhumans and telling a little of their story, since an Inhumans movie is part of Phase 3. I'm sure the movie will deal with the royal family and more know characters like Blackbolt and Medusa, but it will be interesting to see how it all ties in with the Inhumans in the show. Myself i would love for Skye to at least have a small part in the Inhumans movie. I'd even like her to have a part in Civil War. A good lead in for Civil war would be the Avengers finding out Phil was still alive. Stark could be pissed about Fury not telling them and Steve could understand it was part of a greater good. Maybe not the reason Civil war happens but something that adds to whatever tension is in the air.
May 08, 2015 07:10PM
AGENTS OF SHIELD has been renewed for a 3rd Season. But the spinoff is not happening.

AGENT CARTER is also coming back! I'd like to see them do it in the late 1960's with Agent Carter now DIrector and a young Nick Fury coming into his own.

May 08, 2015 10:54PM
GmJoeSolarte Wrote:
> AGENTS OF SHIELD has been renewed for a 3rd
> Season. But the spinoff is not happening.
>
> AGENT CARTER is also coming back! I'd like to
> see them do it in the late 1960's with Agent
> Carter now DIrector and a young Nick Fury coming
> into his own.

I'd guess season 2 is going to be more about the actual formation of SHIELD as she works for the SRS still at this point. To end season 1 with her saving the day but not getting any credit to starting season 2 with her already being one of the founding members of SHIELD would be jumping a lot of good story. I think its a good idea but do it in season 3 or split 2 in half with the first half being SHIELD formation and finding who her love interest is, and then the second half jumping forward and seeing where SHIELD has gone and how Fury gets his start.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 10, 2015 06:58AM
I do think using AGENT CARTER to bridge the gap between season 3a and 3b would be a good idea like last time. I guess we will have to see. They got lots of options so hopefully they will do one that works. If we get words that they are indeed casting a young Nick Fury then that will confirm it.

As to bridging in other stuff in season 3A, well, now that they have the deal with Spiderman to return to the MU, I'd like to see some of his villains show up, like Electro or The Scorpion, or Kraven the Hunter! They don't have to show Spiderman, but maybe could show whomever gets cast to play him as Peter Parker taking photographs of the SHIELD team.

Another great crossover would be if SHIELD apprehends a possibly dangerous superhuman whom may or may not have actually done anything wrong; and Matt Murdoch somehow gets assigned the case or takes it pro-bono and he shows up with a court order ordering SHIELD to give him access to his client. Would not be the biggest thing in the world, but him showing up with the court order; and him ordering them out of the room; and when Caulson and his team come up with an idea, a really GOOD idea of how to bluff Murdoch and his client...unaware that Murdoch is hearing the whole thing and calls them on their bluff would be a great scene.

May 13, 2015 03:31AM
Well they finally got it right. A good ending to the season.... of course my usual complaint stands: SKYE needs to DIE....but other than that they dealt with a lot of the stupid on the show

G-Core
The Modern FASERIP!
[www.dillygreenbeangames.com]
May 13, 2015 08:39AM
darkforce Wrote:
> Well they finally got it right. A good ending to
> the season.... of course my usual complaint
> stands: SKYE needs to DIE....but other than that
> they dealt with a lot of the stupid on the show

Get rid of one the best parts of the show? Ya probably not going to happen lol.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 14, 2015 10:13AM
SecretDefender posted I know it is only a matter of time before Raina is killed off. The actress has been cast in another show coming out next year "Preacher" (Vertigo comics).

Yep. Bullseye. And I didn't have to spend karma to get my Yellow Reason result.
May 14, 2015 10:58AM
LOL

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
May 15, 2015 04:31AM
Preacher should rule.

Shield is fun, I like that they kill off characters, without bringing them back. It makes events more important.

Like the dysfunctional super family story line, still funny.

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.