Jessica Jones

Posted by darkforce 
Jessica Jones
November 21, 2015 02:05PM
So I watched the first episode. I was a little peeved that they really had to carry the anal sex scene over from the comics (the reason why I stopped reading Marvel Knights titles). They could have gone without.

Without any spoilers past that, what are people's thoughts so far?

G-Core
The Modern FASERIP!
[www.dillygreenbeangames.com]
FTJ
Re: Jessica Jones
November 21, 2015 06:53PM
I really like it (through ep 5). It's better than Daredevil in that you don't have to listen to the characters whispering all the time, and otherwise as good as Daredevil. It's not an action show of course, but it's woven together in such a way as to maintain a very good pace. And Tennant is really good at being evil. smiling smiley

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
November 22, 2015 05:51AM
I know they have to change things to account for the fact that they don't have Marvel's rich history to draw upon because it hasn't all been established yet, but there are some changes I don't like out of hand.

Trish, for example. I dislike everything about how her character is handled in the show, especially her name & history with her mom and even the fact that she's a blonde.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
November 22, 2015 06:15AM
Personally, I always got Jessica Jones mixed up with Colleen Wing as "the chick who hung out with Luke Cage and Misty Knight". Then again, I never read any Heroes for Hire so my knowledge of those characters has always been limited to begin with. I never even knew Jones had powers.

November 22, 2015 06:45AM
Colleen Wing, Samarai babe and former partner of Misty Knight. Where the Hell has she been lately, anyhow?

Jessica Jones, retconned former superhero known as Jewel who retired from the costumed life after Purple Man abused her with months of mind control before sending her after Daredevil in a fit of rage only to have her attack the first person who she saw dressed in red --the Scarlet Witch. I believe there was also a serious case of Mjolnir-to-the-face that helped convince her to retire.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
November 26, 2015 04:33AM
I love the show myself. I liked it better than Daredevil. I think netflix is doing a great job of showing the edger side of the marvel universe. They are talking less mainstream characters and making one hell of a franchise with it. The cast is doing a graet job of bringing these characters to life. In the comics i always thought purple man was lame. This show for me made him a great bad guy with a performance that definately deserves some kind of award.The writers and actors were amazing is showing just how deadly a mind controler could be. Everyone being paranoid over who might be under control and who you can trust. How much you would hate and fear somebody that could do anything to you. It also had a good plot with a solid reason not to just kill him but to try and capture him.
The show is not perfect though. Some complaints i understand might be due to limits writers have with using other properties. A major radio talk show host going on air talking about a mind control guy and all the people coming forward with claims of being controled bothered me. It seems with all the mind manipulation problems the Avengers had with Loki and Scarlet Witch that any chance of a mind control threat would bring in a response team from the Avengers or Shield. I would like to see that explained in an episode of Shield. Maybe shield comes to hells kitchen to investigate and after a brief cameo of some of the netflix characters find the situation was taken care of. It would also serve as a way to tie the tv shows to the same universe better. When Jessica was trailing her neighbor when he was meeting Killgrave. I did not understand why they tried to find a way to do a kidnapping around him picking random meeting spots. Why not follow him back to where ever he was staying at the time and set a trap for him there?
November 26, 2015 05:12AM
I'll probably watch it in the next few weeks.

Joe Solarte stats, background. [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
FTJ
November 26, 2015 06:39AM
I've finished the series and really enjoyed it. Maybe they should have moved it to L.A. or another city, though, to avoid some of the shared universe issues, such as why we don't see Stark Tower in the skyline (at least I don't remember it) or Iron Man buzzing overhead, or why they can talk about the devastation caused by the alien invasion but there's zero visual evidence that the city is still rebuilding. Daredevil has to be in NYC, no way around that, but Jessica Jones and Luke Cage could be anywhere, IMO.

As for the sex scene, it barely qualifies because it's so tame, especially when compared to the graphic violence. They could have explored the sexual themes a lot more.

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
November 27, 2015 06:52PM
darkforce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I watched the first episode. I was a little
> peeved that they really had to carry the anal sex
> scene over from the comics (the reason why I
> stopped reading Marvel Knights titles). They could
> have gone without.
>
> Without any spoilers past that, what are people's
> thoughts so far?

You must have watched a different version of the pilot than I did, because that's not in there.

Just because someone has sex with someone from behind doesn't mean anal was involved and it was never even implied.
November 30, 2015 12:49AM
Having fun watching the series. The slugfest to sodomy ratio is way lopsided. More sodomy, please.

BAZINGA.
November 30, 2015 01:08PM
If I recall correctly in the first issue of Alias, that's exactly how they were going at it, and one of them made a comment later about...well....my issue.

At least it's slowed down (we're halfway through now) and gotten into more story aspects. I don't need sex in my shows, I need serious beat downs.

bobmalo Wrote:
> darkforce Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So I watched the first episode. I was a little
> > peeved that they really had to carry the anal
> sex
> > scene over from the comics (the reason why I
> > stopped reading Marvel Knights titles). They
> could
> > have gone without.
> >
> > Without any spoilers past that, what are
> people's
> > thoughts so far?
>
> You must have watched a different version of the
> pilot than I did, because that's not in there.
>
> Just because someone has sex with someone from
> behind doesn't mean anal was involved and it was
> never even implied.
November 30, 2015 03:52PM
darkforce Wrote:
> If I recall correctly in the first issue of Alias,
> that's exactly how they were going at it, and one
> of them made a comment later about...well....my
> issue.

Um, no. It's not. They have sex (more than once as a matter of fact...) and while it is heavily implied in the comic as to what is happening, you won't see any specification to that act. It's left to the imagination of the reader as to what exactly is going on since we're (thankfully) not shown any such thing in graphic detail. You can infer through the internal dialogue as to what is going on, but again it's left to your imagination. As to the tv series (keeping this topic on point...) the two of them don't even replicate the 2 panels in question. Going back to my original point though, and to be fair I keep seeing this topic mentioned in various message boards where people swear it happened in the netflix series...It simply didn't happen.

Perhaps that's just telling about the lack of actual experience that people have as they are unable to realize that many acts can be done in that position, including the aforementioned 'taboo topic'.

> At least it's slowed down (we're halfway through
> now) and gotten into more story aspects. I don't
> need sex in my shows, I need serious beat downs.

Wow, so you'd rather have violence over sex? Not that I want to see any of them naked, but I'm assuming of course that you had some idea what this series was based on before you started watching it? I mean you get that this is a series about someone who was brutalized in the worst way possible and who then goes about reclaiming her life and what was taken from her in a healthy and productive manner? Even her sister gets in on this as well as she to was a victim of abuse...

Keith
November 30, 2015 04:19PM
bobmalo Wrote:
> I'm assuming of course that you had some idea
> what this series was based on before you started
> watching it? I mean you get that this is a series
> about someone who was brutalized in the worst way
> possible and who then goes about reclaiming her
> life and what was taken from her in a healthy and
> productive manner?

Actually, in the comic, Jessica made a point of explaining that she had not been brutalized in such a fashion, rather that Purple Man made her beg for it and denied her while abusing college girls he picked up.

November 30, 2015 05:17PM
Yep. I know that. I was talking about the tv version where clearly that happened. I actually (over the weekend...) read the series.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 9
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.